PDA

View Full Version : James Anderson reassigned to Toros

Creation88
02-07-2011, 03:21 PM
via @spurs on twitter. can't be a good sign, something is up with him.

Creation88
02-07-2011, 03:22 PM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/james_anderson_to_toros_110207.html

toki9
02-07-2011, 03:25 PM
WTF?!? That's a surprise...and slightly disconcerting.

Calavera
no place for him in the rotation I guess... he will see more playing time with the toros, and that is good for him, i see no trouble

tdunk21
oh boy

Ginnoobbllee
02-07-2011, 03:30 PM
I would assume this would last through at least the rest of the rodeo road trip. Both teams pretty much on the road until Okie City on the 2/23rd.
:downspin:

awktalk
02-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Hopefully Pop uses this opportunity to get Splitter some consistent minutes

concken
02-07-2011, 03:45 PM
we didn't resign Larry Owens right?

concken
02-07-2011, 03:46 PM
Nvm, I see we signed Novak so that answers my questions.

yavozerb
02-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Its Novak time boys and girls...JA definantly is not ready for any NBA time yet, he looked horrible in the few minutes he has played with SA since returning.

tp2021
02-07-2011, 03:51 PM
Its Novak time boys and girls...JA definantly is not ready for any NBA time yet, he looked horrible in the few minutes he has played with SA since returning.

fify

SenorSpur
02-07-2011, 03:53 PM
Uh oh!

Mugen
02-07-2011, 03:55 PM
the Curse of the Toros strikes again.

BanditHiro
02-07-2011, 03:58 PM
:pop::pctoss

Phillip
02-07-2011, 04:02 PM
LMAO james KB24 anderson

EricB
02-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Needs more games of 20 plus minutes. Looked horrid vs Sacramento.

crc21209
02-07-2011, 04:14 PM
Needs more games of 20 plus minutes. Looked horrid vs Sacramento.

Maybe if Pop would've put him in with 6-7 minutes remaning in the game, instead of 2 minutes left. The game was well at hand anyway. But yeah this isnt anything to be concerned about, Pop and the staff just want him to get more minutes and get used to playing time up in Austin.There just doesnt seem to be much room for him in the rotation with Manu, Hill, RJ, and Neal all playing so well. But still. I'd rather have James Anderson along for the trip and for backup rather than Steve freaking Novak who can't do anything else but spot up and shoot the 3...

manufan10
02-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Just needs some constant court action, that is all. He'll be back soon enough.

TheSpurglar
02-07-2011, 04:18 PM

:lol

Gooshie
02-07-2011, 04:19 PM
This just doesn't make any sense with 4 games in 5 nights coming up. Owens is also gone, so we only have Manu-RJ-Hill-Neal at the 2/3 positions. Anderson could have given someone a rest on one of the back-to-backs. Here's hoping he rejoins the team for the weekend portion of the trip.

SenorSpur
02-07-2011, 04:26 PM
Maybe if Pop would've put him in with 6-7 minutes remaning in the game, instead of 2 minutes left. The game was well at hand anyway. But yeah this isnt anything to be concerned about, Pop and the staff just want him to get more minutes and get used to playing time up in Austin.There just doesnt seem to be much room for him in the rotation with Manu, Hill, RJ, and Neal all playing so well. But still. I'd rather have James Anderson along for the trip and for backup rather than Steve freaking Novak who can't do anything else but spot up and shoot the 3...

I thought that was strange too. It's not like the Sac game was close. There ample opportunity for Pop to have subbed JA in for RJ. Hell, he probably could've played a few minutes with the other starters, in addition to the garbage minutes.

manufan10
02-07-2011, 04:28 PM
I thought that was strange too. It's not like the Sac game was close. There ample opportunity for Pop to have subbed JA in for RJ. Hell, he probably could've played a few minutes with the other starters, in addition to the garbage minutes.

I was surprised that Manu was still getting some minutes in the 4th, and thought JA might have gotten some more minutes instead.

manufan10
02-07-2011, 04:29 PM

Splitter and James Anderson do not play the same positions. Nice try though. :lol

crc21209
02-07-2011, 04:36 PM
It's a little bit of a surprise to me that James was sent back down, but Pop probably wasn't going to put a true rookie like Anderson into the stretch run/playoff rotation anyways. Bothe George Hill and DeJuan were playing really well as rookies and didn't get playoff minutes, why would Anderson?

So do you think Neal will be a factor in the Playoffs then since he is considered a "rookie" to NBA ball as well?

jestersmash
02-07-2011, 04:36 PM
It's a little bit of a surprise to me that James was sent back down, but Pop probably wasn't going to put a true rookie like Anderson into the stretch run/playoff rotation anyways. Bothe George Hill and DeJuan were playing really well as rookies and didn't get playoff minutes, why would Anderson?

A voice of reason. Finally.

jjktkk
02-07-2011, 04:37 PM
WTF? IMO, this means theres no hope for Anderson to work himself into the rotation. Looks like Pop will again start auditioning vets. again, with Novak getting a shot. My question is why Novak, instead of a sf/sg?

awktalk
02-07-2011, 04:38 PM
Splitter and James Anderson do not play the same positions. Nice try though. :lol

Doesn't matter. This is a SpursTalk thread is about personnel. Therefore, it is only a matter of time before it devolves into a "Splitter's minutes" thread. Just thought I'd help that along.

manufan10
02-07-2011, 04:38 PM
So do you think Neal will be a factor in the Playoffs then since he is considered a "rookie" to NBA ball as well?

imo, I don't think Pop views him as a normal rookie.

crc21209
02-07-2011, 04:40 PM
imo, I don't think Pop views him as a normal rookie.

True but Splitter isnt supposed to be a "normal rookie" also with all the playing time he had overseas...and look where they got him with Pop...in the dog house...:lol

jjktkk
02-07-2011, 04:40 PM

Yes, because Neal has been in the rotation from day 1.

DesignatedT
02-07-2011, 04:42 PM
Pop plays who he thinks is the best player. He obviously thinks that Neal is more ready and capable of playing now then Splitter at this point and Neal hasn't disappointed.

yavozerb
02-07-2011, 04:45 PM
WTF? IMO, this means theres no hope for Anderson to work himself into the rotation. Looks like Pop will again start auditioning vets. again, with Novak getting a shot. My question is why Novak, instead of a sf/sg?

sf/sg= RJ,Manu,Neal
-these 3 have been playing both the 2 and 3 all season long and it has worked pretty damn good so far. Add in Hill playing the 1 and 2 and you have your 4 guys in the rotation for the 2 and 3 spots. I would also like to see JA in the rotation but he has never been in the rotation to begin with so any minutes he finds are spotty, ala tiago splitter

ajballer4
02-07-2011, 04:55 PM
Novak was drafted as a three coming into the league so he can definitely play there. Not that I think he'll get any minutes

Bruno
02-07-2011, 04:58 PM
It could be just a very short stint to help him back getting his legs back. For the moment, it doesn't mean that Anderson will end the season in the doghouse and that he won't play a big role in the playoffs.

Mugen
02-07-2011, 05:00 PM
It could be just a very short stint to help him back getting his legs back. For the moment, it doesn't mean that Anderson will end the season in the doghouse and that he won't play a big role in the playoffs.

if thats the case then i dont see why JA couldnt have played that role.

duncan228
02-07-2011, 05:09 PM
...Spurs coach Gregg Popovich was unavailable for comment at Monday’s practice before leaving for Detroit. But he is likely thinking it will be better for Anderson to rehab with the Toros over the next two weeks and play 20-25 minutes per game to help with his strength and conditioning. That amount of time likely would not been available if he had remained with the Spurs during the rest of the Rodeo Road Trip.

Anderson assigned back to Austin in D-League (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/02/07/anderson-assigned-back-to-austin/)
Tim Griffin

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/02/07/anderson-assigned-back-to-austin/

Cessation
02-07-2011, 05:36 PM
This opens up "minutes for splitter", lol.

ChumpDumper
02-07-2011, 06:00 PM
Anderson never would have been called up had Neal's status not been questionable.

Calm down.

ElNono
02-07-2011, 06:02 PM
Rookies that miss considerable time simply are not going to be part of any playoff rotation, barring injuries. As Phila said, even rookies that didn't miss time were not really taken into much account. The system and the familiarity with it is king.

I suspect Splitter to be in the same boat, and the limited minutes he's getting now have more to do with Bonner being out than anything else.

Obstructed_View
02-07-2011, 06:44 PM
Yeah, he'd have stayed in Austin if there hadn't been a possible need for him with the Spurs. Now he can go back and get his wind back with the Toros instead of sitting on the bench for the RRT.

DMC
02-07-2011, 06:45 PM
The schedule (road trip) won't allow JA to get any real game time to get his wind and rhythm back. He doesn't need that trip as much as he needs to run up and down the court.

DMC
02-07-2011, 06:46 PM
Yeah, he'd have stayed in Austin if there hadn't been a possible need for him with the Spurs. Now he can go back and get his wind back with the Toros instead of sitting on the bench for the RRT.

Crap you beat me but said the same thing basically... :toast

FTLSpur
02-07-2011, 06:58 PM
Lame... even Ian went to the RRT on its full to bond with the team...

Mel_13
02-07-2011, 07:00 PM

Ian wasn't eligible for assignment to the Toros.

baseline bum
02-07-2011, 07:14 PM
Doesn't the team usually call up its prospects to travel with the team on the RRT? I remember they did for Mahinmi.

DesignatedT
02-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Doesn't the team usually call up its prospects to travel with the team on the RRT? I remember they did for Mahinmi.

That's probably been the case for past seasons but they obviously feel like JA getting his conditioning back and getting court time is more important then bonding with the team at this point. It actually might be a good sign for those who want to see JA on the court eventually this season. If Pop wasn't planning on playing him from here on out then why would he care about the kid getting his wind back and shaking the rust off.

ALVAREZ6
02-07-2011, 07:30 PM
I don't think it's necessarily a bad sign. Maybe Pop wants him to get a lot of playing time, anywhere, just to get back into rhythm as he's been out for a while and barely has NBA experience to begin with. I'd be surprised if he's not back on the roster before the playoffs, or even in a few weeks. The rotation right now is working very well, the Spurs are cruising their way to home court advantage, maybe he doesn't wanna fuck anything up (even though experimenting with Anderson wouldn't really do that). He'll get more PT for the Toros and I expect him to be back in a Spurs uniform at least a couple of weeks before the playoffs begin.

Mel_13
02-07-2011, 07:49 PM
That's probably been the case for past seasons but they obviously feel like JA getting his conditioning back and getting court time is more important then bonding with the team at this point. It actually might be a good sign for those who want to see JA on the court eventually this season. If Pop wasn't planning on playing him from here on out then why would he care about the kid getting his wind back and shaking the rust off.

:tu

m33p0
02-07-2011, 09:29 PM

[/thread]

I. Hustle
02-07-2011, 09:33 PM
Just don't want him injured when we trade him and novak for melo

toki9
02-08-2011, 12:23 AM
It's especially odd given that Hill is banged up (twisted ankle)...

tuncaboylu
02-08-2011, 04:06 AM
The following 5 days will be exhausted by the games and the trips. Maybe Pop thinks that it's too much for a player just recovered from injury and send him to Austin. Austin Toros will play at home till 14 February.

Danny.Zhu
02-08-2011, 09:49 AM
the Curse of the Toros strikes again.

Probably so.
:depressed

Darkwaters
02-08-2011, 10:24 AM
This is Anderson's last assignment to Austin. If he comes back to the big leagues it's for good.

JR3
02-08-2011, 04:33 PM
I thought he was our best chance at having a solid backup SF without changing our team... Not thrilled with this decision... but we are winning.

DMC
02-08-2011, 04:34 PM

It's not like James can't rejoin them.

Trill Clinton
02-08-2011, 05:25 PM

Good point.

The Truth #6
02-08-2011, 05:40 PM
I don't see how anyone can perfectly read Pop's mind on this one. This could just as easily be a positive sign. Who knows?

awktalk
02-08-2011, 05:55 PM
Looks to me like the Spurs have a health problem, as in they now have no injuries. As they are only able to suit 12 and must have 13 on the roster, this seems like they're not ready to fill slot 13 permanently and don't want to have anybody dressed in street clothes on the bench. Remember, JA participated in shootaround for a Toros game and then was MIA during the game, driving to SA for the Rockets game cuz the Spurs wanted him as an insurance policy with Neal's health up in the air. So this looks like a continuation of their original plan to have him get some run in Austin.

cd98
02-08-2011, 06:55 PM
Relax. I watched the games in which Anderson played for the Toros before rejoining the Spurs the first time. He looked good in spurts, but was out of shape and looked lost on defense. He needs to fine tune his game. When he was playing well at the begining of the season, no one was sharp. Now that everyone has games under their belt, and he's the one that's been sitting, he isn't sharp. Give him a few games with the Toros and he'll be ready to rejoin the Spurs for the title run.

Spurs Brazil
02-08-2011, 07:30 PM
JMcDonald_SAEN

.Pop says Jms Anderson's 2nd trip to Austin for conditioning: "He's grossly out of shape. We want to get him back ready to be put in a game.”

duncan228
02-08-2011, 10:16 PM
The rest of Pop's quote.

Popovich referred to James Anderson as “grossly out-of-shape”. During recent three on three drills, Anderson looked so winded, Popovich, joked, “he made me tired just watching him. He’ll have three good practices this week [in Austin] on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Then they have 4 or 5 games coming up that are pretty quick. That will do him a lot more good than me waiting to see if we’re up 20 or down 20 to put him in for 2 or 3 minutes…we want to get him back ready to be put into a game.”

...Popovich noted that the Spurs wouldn’t mind seeing the D-League rules changed to allow teams more opportunities to rehab players. Under the current rules, NBA players aren’t eligible for D-League assignments after their second season. “The two year thing is tough. We ran into that last year with Ian Mahinmi. He was hurt one and three quarters of his time with us. We couldn’t really take advantage of the time we put into him.”

James Anderson winds Gregg Popovich, Matt Bonner available (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/james-anderson-rehab-austin-toros)
by Timothy Varner
48 Minutes of Hell

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/james-anderson-rehab-austin-toros

DMC
02-08-2011, 11:26 PM
LOL@ TP rehabbing on the Toros.