PDA

View Full Version : Pelada

MannyIsGod
02-07-2011, 04:27 PM
I got this last week and I have to say its an amazing documentary.

I figure everyone in here would love to watch this. Its about soccer playing couple from the US who goes around the world and plays in pickup soccer games all over the place. The variety of people they encounter is pretty amazing and its just a great film.

Highly recomend it. Scott, try to do a screening at Freetail! I think it would be a good event.

Two players. 25 countries. One game.
Away from professional stadiums, bright lights, and manicured fields, there’s another side of soccer. Tucked away on alleys, side streets, and concrete courts, people play in improvised games. Every country has a different word for it. In the United States, we call it “pick-up soccer.” In Trinidad, it's "taking a sweat." In England, it's "having a kick-about." In Brazil, the word is “pelada,” which literally means "naked"—the game stripped down to its core. It’s the version of the game played by anyone, anywhere—and it’s a window into lives all around the world.

Pelada is a documentary following Luke and Gwendolyn, two former college soccer stars who didn’t quite make it to the pros. Not ready for it to be over, they take off, chasing the game. From prisoners in Bolivia to moonshine brewers in Kenya, from freestylers in China to women who play in hijab in Iran, Pelada is the story of the people who play.

http://www.pelada-movie.com/
BfLEcfH8OL4

SAtown
02-08-2011, 11:32 PM
I'll have to check it out. The last soccer film I saw (at least soccer related) was Up & Down (iirc). It was about these Czech hooligans that get into trouble

ALVAREZ6
02-09-2011, 01:15 AM
That's awesome they got to do that. I'd love to be able to not worry about money and do things like that, cool idea for a film. Sports are fucking awesome.

MannyIsGod
02-09-2011, 11:25 AM
One of the coolest experiences I ever had was playing a pickup basketball game in Mexico. Fun as hell.

lefty
02-09-2011, 11:31 AM
Looks very interesting; I will check it out

Thanks Manny

DAF86
02-11-2011, 05:04 AM
Let's play a "picadito".

Phenomanul
02-12-2011, 11:35 AM
In Mexico it's called a "cascara"... or a "cascarita"

Phenomanul
02-12-2011, 11:36 AM
One of the coolest experiences I ever had was playing a pickup basketball game in Mexico. Fun as hell.

3 years ago I had the same experience... followed by pick up soccer at the "state deportiva" (a state park within the city)...

I was sore for about 3 days...

Of course what made it even more awesome was the fact I was playing with about 15 cousins... no one there could beat us; even my "primas" were scoring the ball (they can be tough as nails :lol)