PDA

View Full Version : Wolves' GM in court

ducks
09-14-2004, 02:45 PM
Wolves' GM in court

sports.espn.go.com/nba/ne...id=1881349 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1881349)

Associated Press
MINNEAPOLIS -- Jim Stack, the Minnesota Timberwolves' new general manager, has been convicted of misdemeanor battery after a confrontation at a youth baseball game.
Stack was convicted Friday in Cook County, Ill., of punching a coach at a tournament July 4 in Schaumburg, Ill. He was sentenced to a year of court supervision and ordered to visit terminally ill children at a Chicago hospital in December.
According to a Chicago Tribune report on Sunday, witnesses said the incident started when a team of 9-year-old players, including Stack's son, were playing with water balloons after their game. Some of the children ran through the area where a team of 14-year-olds was warming up. Stack then warned Bob Mitchell, the coach of the 14-year-old baseball team, and his players to be careful.
Stack, who was named the Wolves' general manager on July 9, testified in court that Mitchell began walking toward him with his fist clenched. Stack testified that he put his hand up to protect himself and made contact with Mitchell. But a witness said Stack used a closed fist to punch Mitchell in the face and left the area before police arrived, the report said.
Mitchell told the Tribune that Stack shook his hand and apologized for the incident after the trial.
"I would like to apologize to the Timberwolves organization and their fans for this distraction," Stack said in a statement. "This was a very unfortunate situation, and I sincerely regret how it escalated all the way to the level that it has today.

"This incident resulted from my concern for the safety of my son's 9-year-old baseball team and unfortunately led to a heated exchange."

exstatic
09-14-2004, 03:02 PM
Well, at least they picked the right guy to find their next superstar with an anger management issue...

genghisrex
09-14-2004, 03:03 PM
The Wolves just have all kinds of quality executives.

SickDSM
09-14-2004, 08:13 PM
I posted this a few days ago. He should be let go, McHale does the GM'ing anyway.

timvp
09-14-2004, 08:58 PM
The Wolves just have all kinds of quality executives.

Exactly.

When Kobe's playing days are over, the T'Wolves have an opening waiting for him.

SickDSM
09-15-2004, 12:17 PM
Yeah, the League is waiting for this young talent to move on to the executive and ownership level of the NBA. I'm sure Vin Baker would make a great co-owner of the Spurs.