PDA

View Full Version : Straight up

Roger Freemason Jr.
02-08-2011, 05:54 PM
I know most have seen this video, but let's take a minute to watch it again.
D-Rob is one of the best, & these are some amazing plays that happen to feature MJ getting outsmarted. No player has been as intelligent as D-Rob.

CKVqpXl3M18

awktalk
02-08-2011, 05:58 PM
LOL @ Robinson averaging 4.5 blocks in the 91-92 season

TampaDude
02-08-2011, 06:11 PM
DRob BLOCK PARTY, baby!!!

ALVAREZ6
02-08-2011, 06:16 PM
dat dude was a FREAK

TampaDude
02-08-2011, 06:19 PM
If they built a bronze statue of DRob, the statue would have to hit the gym 3 times a week to look as good as DRob. :D

Obstructed_View
02-08-2011, 07:05 PM
The one thing that Robinson had to develop over his career was a will to compete and win. If he'd entered the league with the same fire he'd left it with, there's no telling how great he could have been.

m33p0
02-08-2011, 07:08 PM
he really was a 7 foot small forward.

Muser
02-08-2011, 07:12 PM
The one thing that Robinson had to develop over his career was a will to compete and win. If he'd entered the league with the same fire he'd left it with, there's no telling how great he could have been.

Sadly yes. DRob did his part by keeping the Spurs in San Antonio imo. Plus he was going against arguably the most dominant Center ever in Hakeem (Just behind Shaq imo).

rascal
02-08-2011, 07:14 PM
Robinson did not have enough support from his teammates until Duncan came along. The spurs front office did a poor job in getting enough talent around him.

patos
02-08-2011, 10:12 PM
I wish robinson played during manus prime, that team would dominate all life

ajh18
02-08-2011, 10:35 PM

This argument is crap. I don't ever know where this comes from, other than people who mistake on-the-court shows of "passion" like KG's yelling for actual desire. David was like Duncan or Pop, in that he had interests outside the game, and realized it was just a game. But that doesn't diminish his desire to win.

Capt Bringdown
02-08-2011, 10:48 PM
Used to love Jay Howard's "Block by Robinson" on the radio.
They'll never be another Admiral. I'm not sure about his so-called lack of competitive fire, this charge used to be leveled against Kareem all the time as well.
I've often thought that the Admiral's rookie season was his best pre-Duncan supporting cast, and that the Spurs would have won a title that year if not for "The Pass."

ducks
02-08-2011, 10:50 PM
robinson did not have enough support from his teammates until duncan came along. The spurs front office did a poor job in getting enough talent around him.

duh
i mean aj enough said

barbacoataco
02-08-2011, 11:02 PM
duh
i mean aj enough said

Don't forget Del Negro. That was the backcourt for the 95 team that got the closest to reaching the Finals. In hindsight it should have been obvious that AJ and Vinny could never be the starting 4 & 5 for a championship team. If DRob would have had Manu OR Parker on the 95-96 team they maybe get past the Rockets. If he would have had both--switch Vinny/AJ for Parker/Ginobili-- I would bet money they beat the Rockets and win the championship.

ducks
02-08-2011, 11:04 PM
oh and DAVID>>>>>>>>>>>>DUNCAN

ducks
02-08-2011, 11:05 PM
Don't forget Del Negro. That was the backcourt for the 95 team that got the closest to reaching the Finals. In hindsight it should have been obvious that AJ and Vinny could never be the starting 4 & 5 for a championship team. If DRob would have had Manu OR Parker on the 95-96 team they maybe get past the Rockets. If he would have had both--switch Vinny/AJ for Parker/Ginobili-- I would bet money they beat the Rockets and win the championship.

no they needed scola:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

DMC
02-08-2011, 11:17 PM
I remember that game! I was there.

DMC
02-08-2011, 11:21 PM
This argument is crap. I don't ever know where this comes from, other than people who mistake on-the-court shows of "passion" like KG's yelling for actual desire. David was like Duncan or Pop, in that he had interests outside the game, and realized it was just a game. But that doesn't diminish his desire to win.
It comes from DRob letting people box him out, getting pushed around in the paint and not playing physical ball with the likes of Malone and those clowns. I remember wishing David would elbow the hell out of Malone. He would let these guys push him all over the place and wouldn't force the issue.

Also, we watched Hakeem, who was as much a gentleman as anyone I have ever seen, dominate when the whistle blew.

David had a early rep as "could be tougher". He was physically gifted and had arms the size of a runningback's legs.

DMC
02-08-2011, 11:23 PM
oh and DAVID>>>>>>>>>>>>DUNCAN
Probably not.

David did not have Timmy's timing. Either you didn't watch Tim Duncan in his early years or you think monster dunks are better than the smooth shit Timmy has wrought upon the league since his inception.

Spursfan092120
02-08-2011, 11:49 PM
If they built a bronze statue of DRob, the statue would have to hit the gym 3 times a week to look as good as DRob. :D
Ain't enough bronze in the world to get the scale right on those arms...ridiculous.

ducks
02-09-2011, 12:06 AM
Probably not.

David did not have Timmy's timing. Either you didn't watch Tim Duncan in his early years or you think monster dunks are better than the smooth shit Timmy has wrought upon the league since his inception.

dude I started watching spurs play when david stepted on the court

HighLowLobForBig-50
02-09-2011, 01:38 AM
if we set leadership aside, David > Tim
straight up

Obstructed_View
02-09-2011, 02:36 AM

In this case, it comes from a person who watched every game he played the first couple years of his career. The man was an absolute physical specimen, and could do just about anything on either end of the court. As with many things, basketball came very easy to him, he had interests outside the game and frankly wasn't driven to be great or to win early on. It's actually a sign of a well-adjusted person who has nothing to prove and doesn't have his identity tied up in a game. He clearly learned from his coaches and teammates over the years. I remember being in a sports bar watching a game against the Rockets where he got a bad call and shouted at the official for like ten seconds swinging his arms. All the Spurs fans in the place cheered, because it was the first time we'd ever seen it mean that much to him.

There's little doubt that he was an emotional leader of the team later in his career, but he simply wasn't at the beginning. It's a credit to him that he developed, but it's still a shame that he didn't arrive in the league with it.

Obstructed_View
02-09-2011, 02:39 AM
Also, we watched Hakeem, who was as much a gentleman as anyone I have ever seen, dominate when the whistle blew.

Hakeem was equally unmotivated for much of his career, and outside of one playoff series where he played angry (and was surrounded by hall of fame teammates), Robinson was the one who dominated that matchup over their careers.

Fpoonsie
02-09-2011, 03:05 AM
Ain't enough bronze in the world to get the scale right on those arms...ridiculous.

It's always funny how quickly nostalgia over Dave turns into latent homo-eroticism.

Hell, I do it, too.

The Truth #6
02-09-2011, 03:30 AM
Used to love Jay Howard's "Block by Robinson" on the radio.
They'll never be another Admiral. I'm not sure about his so-called lack of competitive fire, this charge used to be leveled against Kareem all the time as well.
I've often thought that the Admiral's rookie season was his best pre-Duncan supporting cast, and that the Spurs would have won a title that year if not for "The Pass."

I don't know if they would have won the title, but they had a great shot of getting to the Finals. That team was full of young talent. And Caldwell Jones, of course.

jjktkk
02-09-2011, 03:41 AM
Robinson did not have enough support from his teammates until Duncan came along. The spurs front office did a poor job in getting enough talent around him.

The Spurs FO actually put together a really good team in Robinson's rookie year, but Brown started dismantling the team and eventually skipped town(Brown's MO). That 89-90 team was so close to the finals that season.

Obstructed_View
02-09-2011, 01:47 PM
It's always funny how quickly nostalgia over Dave turns into latent homo-eroticism.

Hell, I do it, too.

The triceps man-crush is completely forgivable.