PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh secondary coach Horton to become Cardinals DC

Kyle Orton
02-08-2011, 09:26 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/2011/02/08/20110208arizona-cardinals-defensive-coordinator-ray-horton.html#comments Time to get rid of Whisenhunt, this is getting ridiculous. He didn't interview or entertain any other options at DC, he just waited for the Steelers' season to end and is set on hiring the first guy he's allowed to talk to before even interviewing him. This is the guy who coaches by far the shittiest part of the Steelers' defense. With this and how he continues to make washed up former Steeler players rich, it's time to let him go for a coach who wants to establish his own identity rather than just try to become the Steelers West.

pawe
02-10-2011, 11:15 AM
Steelers west is fine by me. He was going to interview 2 other DCs, one was dick and the other was butler. Dick was still in contract and butler is supposed to replace dick.

Im ok with Horton. He learned from Lebeau and that already says a lot. Plus, the Cardinal's strength is their secondary so expect him to run a lot of safety blitzes specially with Wilson.

Kyle Orton
02-10-2011, 11:17 AM
So you're not bothered by the fact he didn't even consider a coach from 31 of the other teams in the NFL? What woulda happened if they didn't let him interview Horton, would he have then requested to meet with the Steelers' charity coordinator?

Kyle Orton
02-10-2011, 11:18 AM
And yeah I agree bringing a secondary coach in as the new DC is good in the sense that the secondary underachieved way more than any other part of the defense last year, but I question how much a secondary coach knows the ins and outs of how to coach a 3-4 front 7.

jjktkk
02-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Why would it be so bad if Arizona becomes "Pittsburgh West"? Bringing in coaches and players from a winning organization is pretty smart imo, and, in fact, thats the MO for most teams who are starting to rebuild and become a winning organization.

Kyle Orton
02-10-2011, 01:52 PM
Why would it be so bad if Arizona becomes "Pittsburgh West"? Bringing in coaches and players from a winning organization is pretty smart imo, and, in fact, thats the MO for most teams who are starting to rebuild and become a winning organization.
It hasn't worked so far. Overpaying players who are well past their prime who the Steelers don't give a shit about anymore because they suck now has been a disaster. Bringing in coaches who the Steelers willingly let go also hasn't done much.

The starting OLBs from Pittsburgh's 2005 superbowl team being their current day starting OLBs has led to one of the worst pass rushes in the NFL.

Bryant McFadden was traded back to Pittsburgh after one year because that's how bad he was here.

While Russ Grimm has been coach the offensive line has been erratic and inconsistent. Bringing in a well-past-his-prime Alan Faneca to anchor the line made the pass blocking even worse.

I'm not trying to single out the Steelers, it's more about Whisenhunt. He plays politics worse than any coach I've ever seen. For some reason Billy Davis (the DC who was just fired) originally got the job in spite of a horrible resume just because he's friends with Whisenhunt. Tim Hightower is still the starting running back because for whatever reason Whiz has it out for Beanie Wells and will find whatever excuses possible to limit his carries.

So now, when hiring a new defensive coordinator, it's a concern that he was only interested in 3 guys from his former team and settled on the weak link of the 3 after he was the only one Pittsburgh allowed him to talk to. While waiting for the Steelers' season to end so he could interview his buddies, proven 3-4 defensive coordinators like Wade Phillips and Rob Ryan found other jobs while Whiz never showed any interest in them.

I'd love for Whiz to explain why Horton, a guy who's been a secondary coach for a few years and unproven as a DC was all but hired before his interview, while guys like Phillips and Ryan, defensive coordinators who have been successful running a very similar scheme to the one Arizona runs, didn't even deserve any consideration let alone an interview.

duckz
02-10-2011, 03:15 PM
thats right doks time you join the ken hate bandwagon
now almost time to admit letting him go to Leinart Texans moving was wrong
ken won NOTHING with card NOTHING

jjktkk
02-10-2011, 04:04 PM
It hasn't worked so far. Overpaying players who are well past their prime who the Steelers don't give a shit about anymore because they suck now has been a disaster. Bringing in coaches who the Steelers willingly let go also hasn't done much.

The starting OLBs from Pittsburgh's 2005 superbowl team being their current day starting OLBs has led to one of the worst pass rushes in the NFL.

Bryant McFadden was traded back to Pittsburgh after one year because that's how bad he was here.

While Russ Grimm has been coach the offensive line has been erratic and inconsistent. Bringing in a well-past-his-prime Alan Faneca to anchor the line made the pass blocking even worse.

I'm not trying to single out the Steelers, it's more about Whisenhunt. He plays politics worse than any coach I've ever seen. For some reason Billy Davis (the DC who was just fired) originally got the job in spite of a horrible resume just because he's friends with Whisenhunt. Tim Hightower is still the starting running back because for whatever reason Whiz has it out for Beanie Wells and will find whatever excuses possible to limit his carries.

So now, when hiring a new defensive coordinator, it's a concern that he was only interested in 3 guys from his former team and settled on the weak link of the 3 after he was the only one Pittsburgh allowed him to talk to. While waiting for the Steelers' season to end so he could interview his buddies, proven 3-4 defensive coordinators like Wade Phillips and Rob Ryan found other jobs while Whiz never showed any interest in them.

I'd love for Whiz to explain why Horton, a guy who's been a secondary coach for a few years and unproven as a DC was all but hired before his interview, while guys like Phillips and Ryan, defensive coordinators who have been successful running a very similar scheme to the one Arizona runs, didn't even deserve any consideration let alone an interview.

The biggest problem was Warner retiring imo. Get a legit qb, and the Cards can become relavant again.

Kyle Orton
02-10-2011, 04:30 PM
The biggest problem was Warner retiring imo. Get a legit qb, and the Cards can become relavant again.

No doubt, but the team had problems last year unrelated to the QB, and the way Whiz has acted so far this off season is demonstrating he hasn't learned from any of his mistakes. It's blatantly clear that without a HOF veteran QB like Warner the Cardinals need a real offensive coordinator and can't split that duty between coaches who have other jobs, yet when the media questioned him about it Whisenhunt got defensive and quickly mentioned how they went 10-6 in 2009 with him as play caller as if the journalist was insulting his play making abilities rather than simply asking if they need an offensive coordinator.

Basically I'm saying you're right, losing Warner was a huge deal, and Whisenhunt has yet to recognize how much things need to change now that they no longer have a stud QB.

jjktkk
02-10-2011, 04:58 PM
No doubt, but the team had problems last year unrelated to the QB, and the way Whiz has acted so far this off season is demonstrating he hasn't learned from any of his mistakes. It's blatantly clear that without a HOF veteran QB like Warner the Cardinals need a real offensive coordinator and can't split that duty between coaches who have other jobs, yet when the media questioned him about it Whisenhunt got defensive and quickly mentioned how they went 10-6 in 2009 with him as play caller as if the journalist was insulting his play making abilities rather than simply asking if they need an offensive coordinator.

Basically I'm saying you're right, losing Warner was a huge deal, and Whisenhunt has yet to recognize how much things need to change now that they no longer have a stud QB.

Good points. I think the Cards got a solid running game. If they could just get a decent vet. qb, they could really improve on that side of the ball. As far as the defense goes, I didn't notice how the replacements for Dansby and Rolle did last season. Not sure what the d needs to improve.

Kyle Orton
02-10-2011, 05:46 PM
Good points. I think the Cards got a solid running game. If they could just get a decent vet. qb, they could really improve on that side of the ball. As far as the defense goes, I didn't notice how the replacements for Dansby and Rolle did last season. Not sure what the d needs to improve.

The replacements for them did well individually but they didn't have an overall positive impact on the defense. On paper Kerry Rhodes had a productive season, but he isn't the great compliment to Adrian Wilson that Rolle was, which led to a horrible season for Wilson because he had to play more in coverage. Lenon also put up good numbers in place of Dansby but they sorely missed the threat Dansby is as a playmaker/how great Dansby is in coverage. In retrospect though it was still smart to let those two leave, they wouldn't have made a huge difference and are both overpaid.

What falls on the coaching staff for defense were the other disappointing seasons. Rodgers-Cromartie was supposed to take the next step in his 3rd season but was a disaster and he looked lost at times on the field. Calais Campbell and Darnell Dockett also took a giant step back for no good reason. When good players that talented have inexplicable disappointing seasons, the most reasonable expectation is to blame coaching.

pawe
02-11-2011, 11:49 AM
Cards shifted from hybrid to strictly 3-4 so Im not concerned with the politics of going after his steeler colleagues as long as they will stay on the right course of adapting their defensive scheme. Who else knows the best in and outs of the scheme but the people who properly run them right?

Cardinals is slowly getting rid of being the suns of the NFL mentality (I know, they still passed a hell lot last season) and is trying to be a grind it out team.

I heard his interview yesterday in the radio and he seems like a player inclined coach. I just hope he can motivate DRC better than Davis. Sigh, there is a lot of laziness to remove and discipline that needs to be instilled in this team again.

- One thing about the QB situation is the management included fitz on deciding who to target. Resigning Fitz is the most important thing next season.

Kyle Orton
02-11-2011, 12:42 PM
Cardinals is slowly getting rid of being the suns of the NFL mentality (I know, they still passed a hell lot last season) and is trying to be a grind it out team.

What is this based off other than Whiz telling the media he's trying to make the Cardinals a run first, grind it out team in a press conference after a game where 75% of their plays were passing plays:lol? It's no different than Alvan Gentry telling the media he's working to improve the Suns' defense right after they give up 123 points and 17 offensive rebounds.

If he really wanted them to be a grind it out run first team, he wouldn't use Hightower's pass blocking and ability as a receiver as an excuse to start him over by far the best running back on the roster. He wouldn't have a love affair with one of the worst quarterbacks to ever start an NFL game (Hall) when said QB can only play out of the shotgun. A running back who's best asset is what he does in the passing game and a QB who can only play out of the shotgun don't exactly help them become a "grind it out" offense. His actions contradict his words, no different than Gentry's decision to give Channing Frye and Hakeem Warrick tons of PT contradicting his proclamations that he's trying to emphasize defense.

Warlord23
02-11-2011, 01:45 PM
I'm glad they got Horton instead of Butler (LB coach). Can Arizona also take William Gay and McFadden off our hands while they're at it?

Kyle Orton
02-11-2011, 02:01 PM
I'm glad they got Horton instead of Butler (LB coach). Can Arizona also take William Gay and McFadden off our hands while they're at it?
No on McFadden since he already blew in AZ but maybe William Gay :lol. They might be willing to trade a 1st and 2nd round pick for Charlie Batch, but rumor has it they're going after Terry Bradshaw.

pawe
02-12-2011, 05:51 PM
Mcfadden's head will explode when he goes to AZ again. Horton already wiped away all the habits he got from his stint in AZ. His little brain can only take so much.

Agreed on all points about Whiz being all bark and no bite. I just wish he would just relegate the playcalling to his OC so he can manage his personnel better. This team has great talents and can be a year in year out division champ, only thing the players need is motivation coz cardinal players twitter too much and think they're better than what they really are.