PDA

View Full Version : Pharmacy Mistakenly Gives Pregnant Woman Abortion Pill

Viva Las Espuelas
02-08-2011, 10:58 PM
.................................................. ............................................

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Safeway Mix-Up Could Cost Woman Her Unborn Child

Russell Haythorn ([email protected]), 7NEWS Reporter (http://www.thedenverchannel.com/7newsteam/5347714/detail.html)
UPDATED: 1:27 pm MST February 8, 2011
FT. LUPTON, Colo. -- She is six weeks pregnant and when she went to the pharmacy to pick up an antibiotic her doctor had prescribed, the pharmacist gave her an abortion drug by mistake.Mareena Silva might lose her unborn child because of the prescription drug error, which occurred last Thursday."I took it because I thought it was mine," Silva said. Silva said the pharmacist at the Ft. Lupton Safeway gave her the prescription of methotrexate. Methotrexate is used in chemotherapy regimens to treat cancer, but it is also used to terminate early-stage pregnancies.After she took it, Silva was nauseated."I came back and I looked at the bottle and it wasn't my name," she said.The methotrexate was intended for a 59-year-old woman with the exact same last name as Silva's and a similar first name."My doctor immediately told me to try and make myself vomit to see if I could get the medicine to come back up," Silva said.Silva was then rushed to Platte Valley Medical Center where they gave her charcoal to absorb the drug."For all this to happen now is really overwhelming," said Silva. "This is my first child, so it's really difficult to deal with."When 7NEWS asked, Safeway admitted its pharmacy mixed up prescriptions.In a statement to 7NEWS, Safeway said, "Safeway's first concern is the health of our patients. When the pharmacist became aware of what happened, he worked with the patient and with her physicians to minimize any possible health consequences to the patient and her unborn child. We have extended our sincere apologies to the customer, and offered to pay any medical expenses incurred as a result of a prescription error. We are also very concerned about how this happened and we are conducting a full and complete investigation. Safeway has pharmacy systems and processes in place to prevent this kind of occurrence. We have a well-earned reputation for reliably and safely filling prescriptions, and we will continue to work diligently to ensure our procedures and policies are being followed at each of our pharmacies."Silva isn't so convinced."Sorry's not going to cut it. I'm going to have to deal with this for a long time," Silva said. "My baby could have deformities. There's a lot that goes with it."Doctors are checking Silva's bloodwork to make sure her hormone levels are OK. She could miscarry, carry the child to full-term with severe birth defects or she could have a happy, healthy baby.7NEWS checked and it is common practice at Walgreens and other pharmacies to ask for your address when issuing prescription medication just in case names are similar.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/26761744/detail.html

lefty
02-08-2011, 11:00 PM
What the.....

lil'mo
02-08-2011, 11:14 PM
viva loves this kinda shit

desflood
02-08-2011, 11:17 PM
Stupid girl. Read the damn bottle before you put the drugs in your mouth, not after.

mrsmaalox
02-08-2011, 11:29 PM
2 tragic mistakes :(

mouse
02-08-2011, 11:32 PM
She may lose a

http://www.geekologie.com/2008/04/08/baby-chocolate.jpg

But she will receive

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/images/mexico-drug-money2.jpg

http://www.thecityofcorpuschristi.com/attorneys/corpus-christi-texas-attorneys-wayne-wright-llp.jpg

Chris
02-09-2011, 01:52 AM
Bad things happen to bad people.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
02-09-2011, 02:07 AM
Jesus, what a stupid twat. And she's going to get paid for being a stupid twat, too.

My scrips have my name on the bag, the bottle and all the patient info that everyone is advised to read.

She didn't bother with reading any of it. While pregnant.

And of course, she's already assuming zero responsibility.

Twat.

EDIT: Oh, I hope the baby's okay and she gets hit by a bus on the way to the bank; after giving birth and receiving the settlement windfall, of course.

ALVAREZ6
02-09-2011, 02:19 AM
wow

unfuckingreal

sounds like you bro's jelly? and focusing on the wrong shit wtf, i was more concerned about the baby

Nah, I just hate when people assume no culpability in shit they have a major hand in bringing upon themselves.

No doubt the pharm is at fault but no one forced her to take the wrong meds.

ALVAREZ6
If that baby is ever born and eventually grows to learn about this event, he/she should quite honestly whoop the shit out of momma

Slydragon
02-09-2011, 03:44 AM
She read the bottle and pretended to take one so she can get a little cash on the side.

I find it hard to believe that she just opened and pop a pill with out reading the label that say when and how many pills to take, which is next to the name.

apalisoc_9
02-09-2011, 05:27 AM
Reminds me of that time when i was taking my Community pharmacy internship. Rush hour and tons of costumers..So this guy gives me a prescription for a pregnant lady. I get the prescribed meidince, but only one problem i gave parts of it wrong.

You can buy medicines here piece by piece. he ordered 5, i gave him 5 2 of which was wrong, one of the pharmacy assistant must have placed that medicine in the wrong place so i assumed it was the same...

Guy comes back the day after, complains, raging as fck and shouting. I cant blame the guy, i nearly killed his unborn baby. I couldn't really tell the truth that it was me who gave the wrong medicine..I was lucky enough he couldn't remember who gave it to him.

Felt horibble that day.

Pharmacy was also luck cuz the guy didnt sue them

symple19
02-09-2011, 07:03 AM
lulz - doubt she'll give a shit about the dead baby when her bank account has mad zeros behind it

millions of dollars > stupid baby

easjer
02-09-2011, 11:00 AM
I received methotrexate to end my cervical pregnancy. That shit wasn't fun (but wasn't as bad as the misoprostol to end the pregnancy before that); knocked me flat for awhile.

Her hormone levels will tell the biggest tale soon. They start falling rapidly if it's effective. I wonder though, about the dosages and the oral version (+charcoal) versus the shot that ectopic women are given. I know the dosage I received was a lot higher than what arthritic people are given orally.

Also, I strenuously object to the sensationalist title 'Abortion Pill' as if methotrexate is frequently handed out with the intention of ending pregnancies. It's a cancer drug that has revolutionized the treatment of ectopic pregnancies. A lot more infertility would exist without that drug; I personally would probably have had to have damaging surgery and possibly a hysterectomy if I hadn't been able to receive methotrexate. I still have cervical damage, but am (in theory, with a cerclage) still able to have children.

I hope that woman doesn't suffer a loss (though she absolutely ought to have checked the medication. . . sigh) because of this, and even more, I hope the baby isn't affected.

easjer
02-09-2011, 11:02 AM
lulz - doubt she'll give a shit about the dead baby when her bank account has mad zeros behind it

millions of dollars > stupid baby

I would give anything to have my baby back alive. I felt that way even about my miscarriages well before losing my son.

If you think you are being funny, you are mistaken. If you actually believe that, well, you're wrong.

Viva Las Espuelas
02-09-2011, 11:12 AM
One thing I'm a little unclear on is was the 59 year old woman the prescription was intended for taking this to abort or for chemotherapy. To me, it's a little unclear how it was presented.

Oh and to the people calling her an idiot for "not reading" the label

"The methotrexate was intended for a 59-year-old woman with the exact same last name as Silva's and a similar first name."

easjer
02-09-2011, 11:16 AM
Methotrexate is also used to treat severe arthritis. That's what the 59 year old was probably receiving it for.

I don't know that the chemo treatments are in oral form. I was under the impression that it was a shot, as the ectopic pregnancy treatment is.

Additionally, because the name on the bottle was similar, and a pharmacist gave it to her, it doesn't absolve the woman from the responsibility of reading the bottle to ensure that the prescription was what it says it was.

Perhaps her (or your) prescription bottles are different, but mine clearly have a label showing the medication, the dosage, the uses, directions on how to take it and warnings clearly printed on it.

The screw up is tragic and awful and should be addressed, but it doesn't absolve her of reading up on any medications she is taking, regardless of her state of reproduction.

Viva Las Espuelas
02-09-2011, 11:21 AM
Methotrexate is also used to treat severe arthritis. That's what the 59 year old was probably receiving it for.

I don't know that the chemo treatments are in oral form. I was under the impression that it was a shot, as the ectopic pregnancy treatment is.

Whew. I'm glad she wasn't pregnant :lol

My mom had a cancer scare. She had operations. Yada yada and she's taking a 5-year pill. I dont remember the name. I think it has a "fex" in it :lol I read up about it and it's a light form of chemo. As if chemo can ever be "light"

mrsmaalox
02-09-2011, 11:28 AM
Methotrexate is commonly used for rheumatoid arthritis and psoriasis, as well as chemotherapy. But I don't see why it would matter in this case, what the real patient had it prescribed for :huh

And many people do have similar names, which is why it is imperative to check a prescription bottle before taking the medication.

Viva Las Espuelas
02-09-2011, 11:40 AM
Well it's hard to debate her reading it or not. Could've looked like a misspelling to her or anyone. Lord knows my last name has been spelled many different ways. I know I wouldn't call if my last name was spelled wrong.

cheguevara
02-09-2011, 11:42 AM
Mouse hit the nail in the head

easjer
02-09-2011, 11:43 AM
I also want to reiterate that methotrexate is not commonly used to end normal pregnancies. There is a potential for affecting liver function (which is why women who receive methotrexate for pregnancy termination have their liver panel done along with their monitored blood panel), so it's not given out as an abortifacient drug.

It's used to end pregnancies that are never going to develop properly because of their location. And because of their ectopic location, these pregnancies are very dangerous to the woman carrying them. My sister nearly died from a burst fallopian tube and can't get pregnant without ART now, and if I had had this cervical pregnancy half a century ago, I would most likely be incapable of having children, and would most likely have had a hysterectomy if I didn't bleed out as that godforsaken pregnancy advanced.

I'm harping on this because there is a sensationalist aspect to this reporting that is deliberately misleading and confusing and there is enough out there already regarding methotrexate. There are religious based hospitals that won't use it because it stops rapid cell growth, and that could continue if the changes to the PCPA are approved as they currently exist in the Chairman's marked bill in the House.

jack sommerset
02-09-2011, 11:46 AM
Read the damn label before sucking down some pills. Hopefully the kid is ok.

easjer
02-09-2011, 11:46 AM
Well it's hard to debate her reading it or not. Could've looked like a misspelling to her or anyone. Lord knows my last name has been spelled many different ways. I know I wouldn't call if my last name was spelled wrong.

I'm not debating about reading her name versus the other woman's name.

I'm not debating at all, actually.

Regardless of the name, the patient has a responsibility to read the label of the medication bottle. Every prescription I've ever received has listed more than just my name on it.

It's listed the drug the bottle contained, the dosage contained, the directions for use, potential side effects and warnings.

Every patient should read these before ingesting the medication. It is not your responsibility to know every drug and dosage, but if she'd read the warnings, she would have seen that methotrexate isn't for consumption by pregnant women. And given that, she could have been prompted to call the pharmacy and ask about whether or not she should take it, since she's pregnant, prior to ingesting it.

easjer
02-09-2011, 11:50 AM
Read the damn label before sucking down some pills. Hopefully the kid is ok.

Part of the problem is that a side effect of methotrexate is to strip folic acid from the body. It's one reason women who receive it are told not to try to conceive for about 12 weeks (some docs think less than that now if they begin taking high dose folic acid when they are allowed to do resume folic acid). I had to stop my prenatal and folic acid until I was down to 0 hcg, which took 6 weeks, I think.

Folic acid is necessary to embryonic growth and one of the best protections against neural tube defects. That's why it's all over the place as an added vitamin in the US. The potential for having that stripped by the methotrexate is very worrying in such a young pregnancy. At least she'll be able to have an NT work up and know around 12 weeks how a lot of things are looking.

easjer
02-09-2011, 11:55 AM
I think part of what bothers me about the woman refusing to take any responsibility here is that most of the pregnant women I've know/ I know have driven me fucking insane worrying over the most ridiculous things. I've got miles of stories.

But one thing that most pregnant women would agree on is not ingesting medications without proper care and caution. Which in this case should have been as simple as reading the damn label.

Don't get me wrong - the pharmacy bears the brunt of that mistake. They are responsible for that situation existing. And I feel for this woman more than you can imagine - if she doesn't miscarry, there will probably always be a lingering fear that any detriment or set-back that child experiences will be the result of this mistake.

But she should accept some responsibility for the mistake, because she bore a responsibility to ensure she was ingesting the correct medication.

ploto
02-09-2011, 11:59 AM
I would think that any prescription for this drug would have on its label a warning against ingestion by a pregnant woman. I would like to see the bottle.

Viva Las Espuelas
02-09-2011, 12:01 PM
FORT LUPTON, Colo.—A pregnant Colorado woman mistakenly given an abortion drug by a pharmacist faces an excruciating wait to find out the fate of her unborn child...............Safeway issued a statement that said policies and procedures meant to prevent medication errors were not adhered to, and that the company is redoubling efforts to ensure they are followed. Those procedures include asking twice for the patient's full name and date of birth before handing out medication.

http://www.montereyherald.com/national/ci_17339254?nclick_check=1

Viva Las Espuelas
02-09-2011, 12:04 PM
I would think that any prescription for this drug would have on its label a warning against ingestion by a pregnant woman. I would like to see the bottle.

Exactly. I'm sure big red stickers, or whatever color they are, are easy to see but everyone isn't that observant with things. I'm sure it's not in 6pt font

MaNuMaNiAc
02-09-2011, 12:06 PM
That's why things have to be made idiot proof in this day and age. How the fuck do you goble down something without making sure of what it is and what it does?? Shit, I check the label on a Tic Tac...

Viva Las Espuelas
02-09-2011, 12:08 PM
I'm leaving judgement til I see the bottle and/or find the name of the other lady. Yeah, it bothers me that she already has a lawyer and taking his advice, but I'll just wait and see.

02-09-2011, 12:29 PM
Why is it just the bottle? In the video, she used the info slip to easily identify the wrong DOB.

Not to mention the med wasn't what was prescribed. You figure her doc told her what he was prescribing, no?

I've always been told what I'm being prescribed.

easjer
02-09-2011, 01:10 PM
Why is it just the bottle? In the video, she used the info slip to easily identify the wrong DOB.

Not to mention the med wasn't what was prescribed. You figure her doc told her what he was prescribing, no?

That's where I'm willing to cut slack. It's easy to confuse the names of meds or think you've misheard or misunderstood, particularly when your prescription med plan automatically reverts to a generic if one is available. I received sertraline instead of Zoloft, for instance. Same thing, but one is a generic and one is name brand.

Of course, I verified that information, but . . . I can see how reading 'methotrexate' instead of 'amoxicillon' or whatever might not trigger alarm bells. The dosage/directions for use/warnings should have though.

Can't watch video now, but the article says she looked at the bottle when she began to feel sick and was subsequently rushed to the hospital. That would indicate to me that there was likely a warning label somewhere on the bottle that she noticed after the fact. Perhaps I'm wrong though.

desflood
02-09-2011, 01:28 PM
You figure her doc told her what he was prescribing, no?

Honey, you give people too much credit. I know people with life-threatening conditions who couldn't tell you what they were diagnosed with, much less the names of the meds they were prescribed. They just pop the pills into their mouths every day in blind trust of the physicians and pharmacists without a second thought. Like sheep, they're too stupid to care.

02-09-2011, 01:35 PM
It's that attitude that particularly annoys me.

"I don't care or won't bother it until something goes wrong, but even so, it's not my fault."

And that's exactly what she did.

It's unfortunate.

Trainwreck2100
02-09-2011, 01:47 PM
While the labels are there they should not keep the pharmacy from having no culpability when they mess up. Obviously she's a fuckin idiot though

easjer
02-09-2011, 02:02 PM
While the labels are there they should not keep the pharmacy from having no culpability when they mess up. Obviously she's a fuckin idiot though

Oh, I'm not arguing her culpability in an effort to dismiss the pharmacy.

They bear the lion's share of blame here. Her need to read the labels doesn't arise if they don't screw up. But neither does the fact they screwed up and set up this situation release her from the common-sense mandate to read the labels and know what you are ingesting, particlarly early in pregnancy when you can cause the greatest damage by taking something not to be taken in pregnancy, assuming the bottle had the same sorts of warning levels my prescription bottles have.

phxspurfan
02-09-2011, 02:21 PM
She may lose a

http://www.geekologie.com/2008/04/08/baby-chocolate.jpg

But she will receive

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/images/mexico-drug-money2.jpg

That sucks but how many people in this day and age would trade the baby for the money? Hell you can just make another one if daddy's still around. The only difference is now they have money to buy a house.

easjer
02-09-2011, 03:19 PM
That sucks but how many people in this day and age would trade the baby for the money? Hell you can just make another one if daddy's still around. The only difference is now they have money to buy a house.

That is stunningly untrue for many reasons.

tlongII
02-09-2011, 03:37 PM
I thought pregnant women weren't supposed to take antibiotics? Guess I was wrong...

phxspurfan
02-09-2011, 03:44 PM
That is stunningly untrue for many reasons.

The deed is done, unfortunately. Donate the stem cells to science (if they even want them at 6 weeks old), file the lawsuit and call it a day.

JoeChalupa
02-09-2011, 03:49 PM
I hate taking meds and always look at the label of my prescriptions. Never been much of a pill popper.

easjer
02-09-2011, 03:50 PM
I thought pregnant women weren't supposed to take antibiotics? Guess I was wrong...

Depends on the reason for it and the antibiotic. On the whole, caution is used in prescribing, but there are times when the benefit outweighs the risk, because the infection could threaten the pregnancy.

easjer
02-09-2011, 03:53 PM
The deed is done, unfortunately. Donate the stem cells to science (if they even want them at 6 weeks old), file the lawsuit and call it a day.

Sigh. It doesn't work that way, when this drug is used. They can file a lawsuit, and yes, she can't untake the drug, and yes, regardless of how much blame belongs to her, she will likely win some judgement because of the egregious error the pharmacy made.

Your comment was the issue, and it remains stunningly ignorant. Most women would take the baby over the money. And no, there is no guarantee that one can 'just make another' and even if there were a guarantee, babies/children are not interchangeable and replaceable. To suggest that shows a great lack of understanding how miscarriage affects parents.

LoneStarState'sPride
02-09-2011, 04:50 PM
That's why things have to be made idiot proof in this day and age. How the fuck do you goble down something without making sure of what it is and what it does?? Shit, I check the label on a Tic Tac...

:lol So true......

phxspurfan
02-09-2011, 04:50 PM
there is no guarantee that one can 'just make another'

I don't get how couples act like making a baby is a big deal. Any baby being born is a miracle. But conceiving is not. Just look at any inner-city high school and you'll see it en masse. Maybe for some small percentage of the population of total women it can be tough, but that percentage is indeed small.

Of course a loving mother would take the baby over the money. Who would argue that they wouldn't? But you can't change the past, and a bunch of people would love to have the settlement check in lieu of nothing.

easjer
02-09-2011, 05:02 PM
I don't get how couples act like making a baby is a big deal. Any baby being born is a miracle. But conceiving is not. Just look at any inner-city high school and you'll see it en masse. Maybe for some small percentage of the population of total women it can be tough, but that percentage is indeed small.

Infertility affects 1 in 6 couples in the US and secondary infertility affects more. And that's just the reported numbers, speculation is that it might really be more like 25%+ and we don't know because these people are childless by choice.

I suppose that 17% is small, but it doesn't much matter if it is you. Also, it's not just women. Infertility affects men equally.

And from what I read, it's not yet a done deal - the lower dose of methotrexate than what is given for pregnancy termination, the oral dose versus the intravenous injection that is typically given, the fact she received charcoal to absorb as much as possible . . . it could all add up to mean she doesn't miscarry. If not, the situation could be especially bad because of the risks of birth defects. Many gross deformities can present at the NT scan, given at 11-14 weeks, but others won't really be visible until 20-24 weeks. And even then, some may not show up in a prenatal scan, even a level II, and only be apparent at birth.

Such an unfortunate thing all around.

mouse
02-09-2011, 05:03 PM

Your right why sell something when you can just recycle it.

http://www.best-horror-movies.com/image-files/may-broken-dolls.jpg

JoeChalupa
02-09-2011, 05:08 PM
Where is King Solomon when you need him?

mouse
02-09-2011, 05:11 PM
I thought pregnant women weren't supposed to take antibiotics?

That was a lie your ex wife told you when she couldn't remove that sore on her lower lip.

Trust me I was there. I gave my ex wife a bottle of antibiotics to help slow down that wonder bread machine she had between her legs, and she told me the same lie how she is not allowed to take any antibiotics during pregnancy.

But I didn't give a shit that baby was not mine in the first place.

not only was I having to eat Mrs. Bird three times a week someone already chew all the crust.

must I paint you a picture?

The bottom line this lady was a victim of the pharmaceutical corporation and those rich asstaint's need to pay.

lil'mo
02-09-2011, 07:44 PM
One thing I'm a little unclear on is was the 59 year old woman the prescription was intended for taking this to abort or for chemotherapy. To me, it's a little unclear how it was presented.

Oh and to the people calling her an idiot for "not reading" the label

"The methotrexate was intended for a 59-year-old woman with the exact same last name as Silva's and a similar first name."

:lmao viva, i'm beginning to realize how stupid you really are! :lol

Viva Las Espuelas
02-11-2011, 07:16 PM
:lmao viva, i'm beginning to realize how stupid you really are! :lol
says the guy that posts as a cow. :tu

Viva Las Espuelas
02-11-2011, 07:20 PM
:lol took me a little bit to make sure this wasn't a joke, but....

Along with the rest of the country, I was shocked earlier this week to report the news of Mareena Silva, (http://blogs.babble.com/strollerderby/2011/02/08/pregnant-woman-given-abortion-drug-instead-of-antibiotic-due-to-pharmacy-mix-up/) the pregnant Colorado woman who was mistakenly given an abortion pill instead of an antibiotic at a Safeway pharmacy. Mareena and her doctors still do not know if she will carry a healthy baby to term, if the baby will suffer birth defects or if the baby was not compromised.
While most readers weighed in with well wishes and horror over the incident, one reader commented to tell me how a pharmacy nearly killed her dog, Sharkey. It was also a Safeway pharmacy.
Susan Stoltz, sister to movie actor Eric Stoltz, had a prescription filled for her beloved Jack Russell Terrier who suffered from severe allergies. She went home and gave her pooch one pill. Sharkey soon collapsed on the floor and had to be rushed to the animal emergency clinic, where Stoltz learned that each pill contained 10x the amount of medication prescribed by the vet.
What’s possibly as equally disturbing as the error itself is the fact that the Safeway pharmacy has not even offered Stoltz an apology. After first denying that any mistake occurred, the pharmacist eventually acknowledged the error, and then rudely blurted out, “The dog is alive today isn’t she, so it hardly matters.”
Stoltz says, “Safeway ‘investigated’ that too and I was told that they weren’t responsible and wouldn’t pay any damages. The pharmacist didn’t even get a slap on the wrist from the pharmaceutical board even though I reported it.”
While the vet was able to save Sharkey, she endures severe liver damage. She also still suffers from allergies and can no longer take antihistamines due to the overdose and subsequent liver damage. Stoltz tries to manage her condition with topical solutions but occasionally has to put her on a round of steroids.
This pharmacist was reported to the proper authorities, but to no avail. The current laws treat pets as possessions and property, with the same rights as a pair of shoes, and offer little recourse for pets who are victims of medical malpractice.
Stoltz has turned Sharkey’s horrendous story into a positive and created a website chronicling the dog’s tale of being overdosed (http://sharkeypup.com/index.php) and dismissed. She also has written a children’s book series (http://www.sharkeypup.com/content/sharkeykittyhead/)with Sharkey as the star.
For each book in the series an organization benefiting animals is chosen to receive a large percentage of all net profits. This decision was made after Sharkey’s overdose by a pharmacist and the realization that the very best thing Sharkey and Susan can do, rather than fight big business and insurance companies, is to be a positive influence and try to help other animals in need.

Watch Sharkey’s story below which is narrated by Eric Stoltz:
bunEumNAtHY

There's even a Facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=106767132693285&ref=ts
:lmao

I'm sorry for the dog and the owner, but I find this oddly hilarious.

Strike
02-11-2011, 11:35 PM
Now if she'd gotten a bottle with her name, info, prescription information, warnings, etc., and the pills in the bottle weren't what were on the label, that is 100% the pharmacist's fault. This is not the case.

The pharmacy fucked up by giving this woman the wrong meds. Definitely. But the woman could have avoided the whole scenario by reading the damn label and making sure she was taking the right drug. In the end, it is your responsibility to know what you're putting into your own body.

Every prescription medication I've ever taken, I've known what it was, dosage, when and how to take it, possible side effects, whether or not to eat something with it, whether or not I should drive while on it, etc., because I read my scrip labels and ask my doctor and pharmacist any questions I have, no matter how silly or possibly trivial. It's just common god damn sense. Something modern people are obviously lacking in spades.

Death In June
02-12-2011, 02:00 PM
The pharmacist is the last line of defense against a medication error. If the wrong medication was dispensed/taken or prescribed, it's their fault. Any pharmacist will tell you the same thing. He didn't do his due diligence and he'll most likely have his license suspended. It's been my experience that a lot of people don't know what they're taking, why they're taking it, or what condition they have. Physicians communicate the bare minimum and so do pharmacist a lot of the time. It's not the patients responsibility to find out for themselves. Someone has to tell them. People don't get to keep their prescriptions. I'm sure she was under the assumption that Methotrexate was an antibiotic, a therapeutic equivalent, a generic form of the prescription etc. The good thing is that they're changing federal law, and all future patients have be counseled on the correct usage of their medication (meaning you can't sign off to not be counseled) to prevent things like this from happening.

Trainwreck2100
02-12-2011, 02:26 PM
Lol not reading the article

Viva Las Espuelas
02-13-2011, 11:36 PM
found an interesting comment about this story

“I heard this story when it first came out and have been trying to get in touch with anyone that could pass along some valuable informatioLuck_The_Fakers_n to Mareena Silva. I take methotrexaLuck_The_Fakers_te for RA (not cancer) and have used this drug for more than 20 years. I am also on other category (X) drugs along with NSAIDs for RA and an IV treatment (Remicade)Luck_The_Fakers_. Absolutely no one has mentioned that this girl needed to do a round of CholestyraLuck_The_Fakers_mine (sp?) to completely flush her system. I became pregnant twice on these drugs and both of my children are healthy and just fine! I was told to terminate one of my pregnancieLuck_The_Fakers_s, but I could not and can't imagine life without my children today! Back in 1990 when I was pregnant with my first child, I was able to stay on NSAIDs, but today it's a no-no causing heart defects. My first child is perfectly healthy as well. All I want is for Mareena to know that her child is going to be fine. If she only took one dose (1 pill), it shouldn't cause major problems. She should have an ultrasound immediatelLuck_The_Fakers_y and regularly for the remainder of the pregnancy. God bless.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/social/Galle_Girl/mareena-silva-waits-to-se_n_821245_77173339.html

ugh. That stupid Luck the Faker crap. Just like the stupid assed capital letter crap. Just click the link.