PDA

View Full Version : Should schools distribute contraceptives?

Pedobear1
02-09-2011, 01:32 AM
Want some opinions on this. Philosophy ethics class, etc.

Thx

mouse
02-09-2011, 01:37 AM
Is this Philosophy ethics class part of the sex offenders 12 step program?

Tinystarz
02-09-2011, 01:38 AM
No they should invent some kind of lock pants for men and women under 18. No one can unlock the pants,but their parents.

DMX7
02-09-2011, 01:38 AM
No they should invent some kind of lock pants for men and women under 18. No one can unlock the pants,but their parents.

What if they have to use the restroom?

MaNuMaNiAc
02-09-2011, 01:40 AM
I think it would do a lot of good. Of course, there are those that like to bury their heads in the sand and pretend teenagers won't have sex unless you teach them about it... How stupid do you have to be to think teenage sex is the result of some exterior corruption and not a normal result of hormonal instinct.

Disclaimer: By no means am I saying normal as in right or appropriate. I suppose that is for a parent to decide, but how does someone seriously think ignorance on the matter is going to help things.

I say teach sex education 'till their ears bleed and then once the kids are aware of the risks encourage them to use protection if they intend to do it anyways. Protected sex is the safer alternative.

Pedobear1
02-09-2011, 01:42 AM
Is this Philosophy ethics class part of the sex offenders 12 step program?

LOL no

CuckingFunt
02-09-2011, 02:26 AM

Creepy.

I know a couple people who'd argue the wisdom of such a plan.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
02-09-2011, 02:32 AM
Add people of the cloth after parents and it's a rock solid plan.

Stringer_Bell
02-09-2011, 02:42 AM
If an entity (the school) has the potential to protect its consumers (the students) from harm (STDs, babies, etc) that would affect the delivery of the entity's stated mission (teaching their dumb asses), then it's okay to offer contraceptives.

About the lock pants, only priests and parents get keys? I'm cool with that, at least the kids will be safe!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_b8cVMt5KsBc/TNhw4LZQIOI/AAAAAAAAByw/eYb0HdK-EFE/s1600/PopeBenedictXVI.jpg

mouse
02-09-2011, 02:43 AM

You can get that done for under 60 dollars on craigslist.

greyforest
02-09-2011, 03:39 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chastity_belt

you're about 605 years too late for that one

easjer
02-09-2011, 10:48 AM
a) I wonder what the ethics of doing your homework for you are . . .

b) I do not think it appropriate for schools to distribute contraceptives. The only thing they could really distribute without a prescription with real efficacy would be condoms. Unless the condoms are being donated by outside entities, I'd prefer that the school budget be spent somewhere else. Perhaps on better sex education in general. There are enough places for kids to get free condoms I don't see the point of schools doing it. I think it unlikely that a student is going to go request them, anyway.

But I'm all for wide-ranging and appropriate sex education including teaching the use of contraceptives and a realistic approach to sex and the fact that teenagers have it.

mrsmaalox
02-09-2011, 11:14 AM
Using the word "distribute", I envision a package of contraceptives being handed out to each student at the beginning of the school year, along with text books. I don't think schools should do that. But I don't think I have a problem with contraceptives being available, along with some educational material, to students who request them.

ploto
02-09-2011, 12:07 PM
Kind of ironic asking on an internet board for an assignment for an ethics class...

That being said-- a school should never distribute prescription drugs. Are they going to hire a doctor to examine the girls and prescribe them?

mrsmaalox
02-09-2011, 12:14 PM
^^ Good point. But I think most schools in the country's anti drug rules wouldn't exempt prescription contraceptives. Can't speak for the OP's premise, but my own interpretation of contraceptives in schools extends to condoms only.

Viva Las Espuelas
02-09-2011, 12:20 PM
:lol why would they hand out more than rubbers? :lol

Anything more would be a little overboard, imho.

marini martini
02-09-2011, 12:22 PM
Yep, performing vasectomies in the broom closet would be a bit much.

Viva Las Espuelas
02-09-2011, 12:22 PM
Womb broom

Pedobear1
02-09-2011, 01:06 PM
You guys aren't doing my homework for me. Reason I'm posting this here is that for this class, we have to be active in a discussion board. By posting this here, I am getting some common points of view from you guys, so I can start preparing my responses now; I can't read other peoples posts until I finish mine. I already have a stance on this, so I'm just getting other peoples opinions. Plus, these sorts of issues that polarize people make for nice discussions here :P

Blake
02-09-2011, 02:16 PM
I already have a stance on this, so I'm just getting other peoples opinions.

what's your stance

ohmwrecker
02-09-2011, 02:26 PM
I don't see anything wrong with it as long as there's sex education taking place in conjunction. I think a lot of parents (and morality police) would flip the fuck out though.

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-09-2011, 02:27 PM
The cheaper option would be for the teachers to constantly reinforce to the students that they are stupid, ugly teenagers with nothing to offer another human being and reminding them that any kids resulting from that sex would be just as disappointing as they are. Giving kids condoms is no guarantee that they'll use them. Filling them with so much shame that they'll never want to take their pants off in front of another human being is the way to go.

Viva Las Espuelas
02-09-2011, 02:33 PM
Filling them with so much shame that they'll never want to take their pants off in front of another human being is the way to go.:lol
Well that's one way.

CosmicCowboy
02-09-2011, 03:45 PM
The cheaper option would be for the teachers to constantly reinforce to the students that they are stupid, ugly teenagers with nothing to offer another human being and reminding them that any kids resulting from that sex would be just as disappointing as they are. Giving kids condoms is no guarantee that they'll use them. Filling them with so much shame that they'll never want to take their pants off in front of another human being is the way to go.

:lmao

another gem from SFIE...

easjer
02-09-2011, 03:48 PM
You can tell how fortunate our children will be, can't you?

JoeChalupa
02-09-2011, 04:16 PM
Doesn't matter to me. Parenting begins at home.

Viva Las Espuelas
02-09-2011, 04:19 PM
Ooh-rah, Joe :tu

DarkReign
02-09-2011, 05:08 PM
Distribute? No.

Available? Yes.

Pedobear1
02-09-2011, 05:49 PM
what's your stance

That they should be made available to teenagers who want them, and not distributed to everyone.

mouse
02-09-2011, 05:56 PM
Doesn't matter to me. Parenting begins at home.

tru dat

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/goodtimes_7053.jpg

please don't pm Kori thanks!

JoeChalupa
02-09-2011, 06:16 PM
I hear ya mouse.

http://stupidcelebrities.net/wp-content/duggar13.jpg

Blake
02-09-2011, 06:20 PM
That they should be made available to teenagers who want them, and not distributed to everyone.

What's the ethical age a kid should be to handed a condom?

Is there one?

Nathan Explosion
02-09-2011, 08:40 PM
The condoms should be available for anyone to pick up, along with brochures. Put them in the nurse's office. Also, sex education should be taught. But the most important thing is this, someone should be there to actually teach the kids how to use a condom. Believe it or not, but in 9/10 instances of condom failure, the cause is human error. A lot of people don't know how to use condoms properly.

easjer
02-09-2011, 08:54 PM
Typical user failure rate of condoms is between 15 and 20%.

Nathan Explosion
02-09-2011, 09:01 PM
Typical user failure rate of condoms is between 15 and 20%.

I'll check my stats again, but I learned from Planned Parenthood that condoms are 99% effective, but that 90% of those failures were usage error. Things like people only putting it on the tip (benefit of the doubt on the user wanted the most natural feel) and putting on the condom too tight and not leaving a little space for the semen.

easjer
02-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Oh, yeah. Sorry, typing while distracted. You are correct, your stats are just lower than what I've seen elsewhere. Perfect use rate/method success rate for condoms is between 97 and 99% effective. Typical user failure is around 15%, splitting the differences in numbers (or 10-20%).

Your point was a good one. I agree with you that teaching kids the proper way to use them is better than simply sticking a bowl out on a desk and letting them help themselves.

Nathan Explosion
02-09-2011, 09:08 PM
There sure are different agendas towards condoms. I've seen condoms being over 90% safe and others say that condoms fail 70% of the time. Too funny. Still can't find the stat I'm looking for.

Viva Las Espuelas
02-09-2011, 10:05 PM
I'd 85% of what y'all are both talking about is valid 20% of the time. Especially on Wednesday. After that it shoots up to 21%.

RandomGuy
02-09-2011, 10:15 PM
Want some opinions on this. Philosophy ethics class, etc.

Thx

Yes, they should.

RandomGuy
02-09-2011, 10:22 PM
There sure are different agendas towards condoms. I've seen condoms being over 90% safe and others say that condoms fail 70% of the time. Too funny. Still can't find the stat I'm looking for.

You say that as if wikipedia entry for "condoms" was difficult to find. :p:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condom

Pedobear1
02-10-2011, 01:50 AM
What's the ethical age a kid should be to handed a condom?

Is there one?

That's a good question...I'm not quite sure on what the statistics of kids having sex pre-high school are...but I'd say maybe high schools should offer them to anyone that asks for them.

Nathan Explosion
02-10-2011, 01:08 PM
You say that as if wikipedia entry for "condoms" was difficult to find. :p:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condom

1) Wikipedia still isn't a valid source, especially in college classes.

2) If I'm not mistaken, when I read it, I didn't see what percentage of failures were the result of user error.