PDA

View Full Version : 51 games into the season, do you guys see Blair as starter material

Sofaking
02-09-2011, 11:48 AM
What Do you think his potential is? I can see him getting 14 and 11 easy in a few yrs. Throw in 2ast and a stl a game, but that's me. He's been looking great since the start of the yr. Wish he'd get a better looking shot though.....ewww

cheguevara
02-09-2011, 12:04 PM
looked horrible 1st quarter of the season. Looks almost as I expected the 2nd quarter

lefty
02-09-2011, 12:08 PM
looked horrible 1st quarter of the season. Looks almost as I expected the 2nd quarter
+1

Except for the Lakers game @ Staples Center

sa_butta
02-09-2011, 12:08 PM
He has been fitting in nicely as a starter, I see no reason to change anything and I think he is only getting better.

Rummpd
02-09-2011, 12:22 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/position/pf/league/west (14th in West and he was buried in the mid 20s most of the season)

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/position/c/league/west (all WC players note that Duncan is 2nd in this to only Nene)

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/position/c/league/west (all WC players)
Blair is moving up in PER - he is now over 16 and moving up - Hollinger regards him as the PF and Duncan as the Center while PER stats do not tell the whole story Blair is now higher than

Marc Gasol and Marcus Camby and in the ballpark of Okafur - all players that if you asked many might be considered superior but statistically at least are not truly.

If keeps surging and getting some > playing time Spurs will at least have an an average to better than effective Center starter most nights = then matchups will hopefully dictate Pop going with more size (or at least get hot shooting out of Bonnner playing the 4/5 along with Duncan or some great minutes out of Dice and hopefully some out of Splitter) - notice Splitter is nearly as effective in PER than Marcus Cousins, and played him well head to head, but does not get any burn from Pop - sign!

Mr. Body
02-09-2011, 12:23 PM
He's really turned it around. Struggled early.

DPG21920
02-09-2011, 12:29 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/position/pf/league/west (14th in West and he was buried in the mid 20s most of the season)

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/position/c/league/west (all WC players note that Duncan is 2nd in this to only Nene)

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/position/c/league/west (all WC players)
Blair is moving up in PER - he is now over 16 and moving up - Hollinger regards him as the PF and Duncan as the Center while PER stats do not tell the whole story Blair is now higher than

Marc Gasol and Marcus Camby and in the ballpark of Okafur - all players that if you asked many might be considered superior but statistically at least are not truly.

If keeps surging and getting some > playing time Spurs will at least have an an average to better than effective Center starter most nights = then matchups will hopefully dictate Pop going with more size (or at least get hot shooting out of Bonnner playing the 4/5 along with Duncan or some great minutes out of Dice and hopefully some out of Splitter) - notice Splitter is nearly as effective in PER than Marcus Cousins, and played him well head to head, but does not get any burn from Pop - sign!

The difference is PER is hugely biased to offense and while Blair might be in the ball park offensively, he is no where near the defender of Gasol/Okafor.

xtremesteven33
02-09-2011, 01:06 PM
I still think Mcdyess will be the starter come playoff time but Blair is giving me doubts if that would be the right move. Blair is a defensive liability in post up situations but he has a knack at stealing the ball from bigger opponents. Also bigger players have a hard time guarding Blair.

So it comes down to matchups. If the Spurs think Blair can win the matchup battle with most bigs then I think he will remain the starter for the rest of the season. But if Blair starts showing major signs that he cant hang with bigger frontcourts, I look for Mcdyess to take that spot.

ohmwrecker
02-09-2011, 01:15 PM
He is a starter . . .

Solid D
02-09-2011, 01:20 PM
Absolutely, starter material. He's been the starting PF for every game with a group vying for one of the longest starting-5 game strings in recent history.

He is learning the nuances of the game, his limitations, and how to play the 5-man team game at both ends. Yeah, his defensive acuity needs work, but he's picking it up.

SenorSpur
02-09-2011, 01:34 PM
Absolutely, starter material. He's been the starting PF for every game with a group vying for one of the longest starting-5 game strings in recent history.

He is learning the nuances of the game, his limitations, and how to play the 5-man team game at both ends. Yeah, his defensive acuity needs work, but he's picking it up.

Agreed.

He's developed a fairly good rapport with Duncan. You can see Duncan and he having side bar conversations and playing off one another.

One very underrated aspect of Blair's game is his deft passing. He's probably the best passing big on the roster. He's really got a great feel for that part of the game. Furthermore, his long arms give him the ability to strip and steal the ball, on occasion.

While he still needs to continue growing defensively and watch the careless fouls, I just like how his overall game is developing and see no reason that he shouldn't continue starting.

Spurs Brazil
02-09-2011, 02:00 PM
I was against it but Blair is playing well since January and he looks decent on D now, his rotations are better and he's using his quickness to bother big guys.

Cane
02-09-2011, 02:08 PM
He'd probably be putting up eye popping numbers nearly every night if he was on a bad team like the Wolves. Blair has really turned it around since the start of the season. The Spurs team of years ago used to struggle at grabbing rebounds and getting easy points, Blair does both very well. His defense has been steadily improving and his quick feet, excellent length/hands, and wide base has bothered quite a few teams this season including the vaunted LA Lakers.

Obstructed_View
02-09-2011, 02:13 PM
He's got amazingly quick hands. If he can learn to use that skill to block shots instead of swiping at dribblers he'll be even more effective. Glad he worked through his struggles at the beginning of the year.

gospursgojas
02-09-2011, 02:46 PM
Um...he is a starter.

He's started all 51 games.

Spurs are 43-8.

Why are you even asking?

FkLA
02-09-2011, 02:54 PM
Since the Jan. 14th games against the Mavs:

11.5 ppg, 9.3 rpg, 1.4 spg, 56 FG% in 28 mpg

Solid D
02-09-2011, 03:42 PM
It will be interesting to see Blair going up against Elton Brand in Philly. Brand is on a hot streak, of late, averaging 25 ppg in February, and his team has won 6 of 8 against some pretty good teams.

Blake
02-09-2011, 03:55 PM
of course he's starter material.

just not quite finisher material yet.

igruex
02-09-2011, 04:42 PM
Agreed.

One very underrated aspect of Blair's game is his deft passing. He's probably the best passing big on the roster. He's really got a great feel for that part of the game. Furthermore, his long arms give him the ability to strip and steal the ball, on occasion.

He also has great hands, he rarely miss a pass from Manu, and they are usually damn awkward.

I'm not sure about the "absolutely starting material" the energy he brings could be special coming from the bench and playing against starters while they are a little more tired. I can see his abilities fitting perfectly in an important bench role, comparable with the one Manu had several seasons.

pjjrfan
02-09-2011, 06:11 PM
Blair is fine as long as he plays within himself and not try to do things that are out of his comfort range. Last night was a perfect example when he got the ball and put up the shot quick or scored off missed shots he is great. When he tries to back people down or takes too many dribbles it usually winds up with a terrible looking shot.

HarlemHeat37
02-09-2011, 09:28 PM
I was against Blair starting at the beginning of the season..I'm not against it anymore, he's definitely a very good offensive player, but I still feel like he can easily be exploited by a good team, particularly on the defensive end, we'll have to see in the playoffs..

Blair's D has improved, particularly his post D, but he's still a below average defender, at best, and opposing coaches will target specific players during the playoffs, and he'll probably be the main target for teams vs. the Spurs..we'll see how he responds, he's proven doubters like myself wrong, many times before..

Sofaking
02-09-2011, 09:45 PM
I liked that OP picked 51 games as bench mark...

:lol The OP has been defending Blair since the beginning of the season when everybody was talking trade Blair. The Op was the one that said, wait till mid point, y'all are gonna be eating a lot of crow. When guys like Cessation or however you spell his name and Guitarracist was calling him dumb and stupid, the Op was defending him. :downspin:

To you Blair:toast

Cry Havoc
02-09-2011, 09:49 PM
26 and 11. If Bynum had put up that recently, Laker fans would be talking about how they have the next Kareem on their team.

Solid D
02-09-2011, 10:07 PM
A shout out to some of my fans, I continue posting for you guys:

Fpoonsie: tbh I was actually one of the voters Blackjack PM'd, and you(Harlem) were on my list of Top 10.

monosylab1k: tbh I would be more than willing to form a co-moderator alliance with HarlemHeat. We may troll and talk shit, but we'd easily be the best mod duo for the NBA Forum.

I know I'm selling out my nigga BUMP here, but tbh I understand that a SpurFan voice needs to be part of this mod alliance.

HH and I both know the unique dynamic of the NBA Forum that makes it so great, while also understanding how to bring it back out of the cesspool it's currently in.

So I will humbly put myself out there for nomination as NBA Forum Moderator, with HarlemHeat as my vice-Moderator.

bostonguy: Harlem is my idol

milkshakeballa: you(Harlem) are the best on here tho, you(Harlem) play it off well

UVRay: You(Harlem) have insightful comments.

http://www.fullsportpress.com/backpatternew.gif

itzsoweezee
02-09-2011, 10:47 PM
Original Blair supporter/apologist/etc. right here. A lot of you guys are eating crow right about now.

Sean Cagney
02-09-2011, 10:49 PM
Blair is fine as long as he plays within himself and not try to do things that are out of his comfort range. Last night was a perfect example when he got the ball and put up the shot quick or scored off missed shots he is great. When he tries to back people down or takes too many dribbles it usually winds up with a terrible looking shot.

You mean when he tries that finger roll shot from 15 feet out :lol:lol. That is beyond ugly, but yes if he plays his game he is fine.

DesignatedT
02-09-2011, 10:49 PM
He's playing fantastic.

Supergirl
02-09-2011, 10:57 PM
yes

duncan228
02-09-2011, 11:02 PM
After tonight's game.

“He’s just got a knack,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said of Blair. “He’s a natural player. He’s got great hands, he understands what’s going on. He’s got great body control. He gets it done.”

“He played great,” Parker said. “He was a beast on the boards and he was doing everything. He was getting in great position when I penetrated or when Manu penetrated. He was feeding off everybody.”

“He’s the type that’s going to lay it on the line and rebound and do some dirty work,” Hill said of Blair. “We don’t worry about his size. We all know he can make up for that with his strength. He just bullies people.”

“I’m one of the shortest centers in the league but at the same time I think I’ve got one of the biggest hearts as well,” Blair said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap?gid=2011020928

Capt Bringdown
02-09-2011, 11:12 PM
Blair's D has improved, particularly his post D, but he's still a below average defender, at best, and opposing coaches will target specific players during the playoffs, and he'll probably be the main target for teams vs. the Spurs..we'll see how he responds, he's proven doubters like myself wrong, many times before..

Agreed. He's proven me wrong, and I hope to be proven wrong in the PO. However, the post season is an entirely different affair as opposing teams systematically go after each other. One can't argue with his regular-season success, but the playoffs are another value assessment, as we all should well know (cough, Bonner).

HarlemHeat37
02-09-2011, 11:14 PM
http://www.fullsportpress.com/backpatternew.gif

:lol It's a joke with the NBA forum guys..

J_Paco
02-09-2011, 11:16 PM
Blair is really beginning to come into his own. Pop needs to continue to give solid minutes - between 24 to 32 - and allow Blair to grow with the other starters. I'll make this bold prediction; before his career is over Blair will lead the league in rebounding at least twice. He is essentially a more physically gifted version of Malik Rose, but without a jumper.

TDMVPDPOY
02-09-2011, 11:34 PM
more pnr with blair and his up and under is automatic...

dude has been beastin on the boards and defense his hands has been very active swatting the ball when given the opportunity

Bito Corleone
02-10-2011, 12:08 AM
Well it's working so far...

Obstructed_View
02-10-2011, 12:13 AM
Blair is really beginning to come into his own. Pop needs to continue to give solid minutes - between 24 to 32 - and allow Blair to grow with the other starters. I'll make this bold prediction; before his career is over Blair will lead the league in rebounding at least twice. He is essentially a more physically gifted version of Malik Rose, but without a jumper.

Betcha Blair develops a jumper over the next few seasons. He's the kind of player who will spend his offseasons adding a wrinkle to his game.

duncan228
02-10-2011, 12:47 AM
Just quotes, hit the link for the whole piece.

Blair boosts Spurs past scrappy Raptors (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/02/09/blair-boosts-spurs-past-scrappy-raptors/)
Jeff McDonald

...Spurs coach Gregg Popovich admits he can be hard on second-year center DeJuan Blair.

“I’m on his butt from the beginning of the game to the end of the game,” Popovich said. “Mercilessly.”

...“My dad yelled at me from the time I was born to the time I went off to college,” Blair said. “I was always the goofy mistake-type kid.”

...Blair, at least, recognizes the defensive hole in his game.

“Once I get that down, three, four, five years from now,” he said with a smile, “I’ll be pretty good.”

...Nights like these sometimes make Popovich forget Blair is only 21. Popovich will continue to ride Blair, from opening tap to final horn. Occasionally, Blair will come up with the proper response.

“He just ignores me and plays his game, thank God,” Popovich said.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/02/09/blair-boosts-spurs-past-scrappy-raptors/

TDMVPDPOY
02-10-2011, 01:15 AM
the problem is not whether his a worthy starter or not

its the bigs in the league his playin agains are just pathetic?

TampaDude
02-10-2011, 01:33 AM
Blair is a B-E-A-S-T!!! :hat

MI21
02-10-2011, 02:36 AM
I think most Spurs fans forget he is 21. Rarely are bigmen at age 21 the finished product. Blair is progressing nicely.

awktalk
02-10-2011, 02:38 AM
Betcha Blair develops a jumper over the next few seasons. He's the kind of player who will spend his offseasons adding a wrinkle to his game.

Yep. Blair is going to be this generation's Charles Barkley, except with rings.

timtonymanu
02-10-2011, 02:39 AM
Lately, Blair has been playing much better. He's been having more good games than bad, which was the opposite at the start of the season.

He just needs to cut down on the dumb plays. However, I think it has more to do with him being over anxious instead of being dumb.

TinTin
02-10-2011, 03:06 AM
Harlem going for the all star 1st team

ezau
02-10-2011, 03:19 AM
Yep. Blair is going to be this generation's Charles Barkley, except with rings.

Not really Barkley, but more like Elton Brand. He kind looks Elton Brand too!

jjktkk
02-10-2011, 03:23 AM
Harlem going for the all star 1st team

1st team allstar that moonlights as a Heat fan. :lol