PDA

View Full Version : Fort Wayne officials refuse to slap Harry Baals on public building

Viva Las Espuelas
02-09-2011, 04:39 PM
Y'all are welcome :toast
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Officials in Fort Wayne Indianna have balked at naming the city's latest civic building after its most successful mayor – Harry Baals.

The city had thrown open the choice of moniker for its latest erection to the people. A campaign to name the building after Harry Baals soon gathered steam, with citizens eager to commemorate his four terms in office between the 1930s and 1950s.

However, the current administration has drawn the line at having Harry Baals splattered all over the new edifice, the AP reports.

While Harry's descendants pronounce the family name "bales", apparently the original pronunciation was more like "balls" – and killjoy city fathers are worried this might expose the City to puerile jokery.

"We realise that while Harry Baals was a respected mayor, not everyone outside of Fort Wayne will know that," deputy mayor Beth Malloy told the AP. "We wanted to pick something that would reflect our pride in our community beyond the boundaries of Fort Wayne."

One of Harry's descendents, Jim Baals, said: "I understand people are going to poke fun at it. That's OK. I've lived with that name for 51 years now, and I've gotten through it. I think everybody else can, too."
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/02/09/fort_wayne_harry/

JoeChalupa
02-09-2011, 04:58 PM
What's the problem? Was he a real Dick?

mrsmaalox
02-09-2011, 05:37 PM
They could just call it the "H. Baals Building".

Viva Las Espuelas
02-10-2011, 10:26 AM
What's the problem? Was he a real Dick?
Kinda. Always giving people the shaft. He wasn't particularly punctual and came whenever he wanted to.

They could just call it the "H. Baals Building".

It wouldn't be as funny.

JoeChalupa
02-10-2011, 11:10 AM
Kinda. Always giving people the shaft. He wasn't particularly punctual and came whenever he wanted to.

:lol What a jerk-off.

monosylab1k
02-10-2011, 12:42 PM
pretty funny. i wonder if this story also tickles Harry Baals.

Viva Las Espuelas
02-10-2011, 12:48 PM
He died in '54 so I'm sure he's all shriveled up by now.

fraga
02-10-2011, 05:18 PM
Testicles...

LnGrrrR
02-10-2011, 07:53 PM
Testicles...

That is all.

jimo2305
02-12-2011, 09:50 AM
well im sure the fort wayne officials must've thought long and hard about it before makin their decision