PDA

View Full Version : Dan Patrick Show: would you rather see Clippers or Spurs?

Creation88
02-10-2011, 10:33 AM
right now the daily Dan Patrick Show poll question is: If you could only see one of these teams who would it be: Clippers or Spurs?

Clippers lead with 55.9% of the vote. :rollin

Darkwaters
02-10-2011, 10:35 AM
Clippers are pretty exciting right now with Blake Griffin very much in vogue.

How about Spurs or Kings?

Obstructed_View
02-10-2011, 10:35 AM
Yeah, that's because of Kevin Love saying that Blake Griffin should have made the all star team instead of Tim Duncan because Duncan's boring and doesn't score. He prefaced it with a "Not taking anything away from Duncan" before he said it, though.

Dr Cox
02-10-2011, 10:40 AM
Duncan would still own Love One-on-One.

"Not to take anything away from Love"

coyotes_geek
02-10-2011, 10:41 AM
Not surprising.

Cry Havoc
02-10-2011, 10:42 AM
To be fair, I think people would rather see the Clips than the Lakers play right now. :lol

K-State Spur
02-10-2011, 10:43 AM
With the way that Kevin Love plays defense...he's not taking anything away from anybody.

Creation88
02-10-2011, 10:44 AM
i actually support these results. continues to have the Spurs fly under the radar.

dbestpro
02-10-2011, 10:50 AM
Fans of other teams would rather see the Clippers because they know they have very little chance of winning against the Spurs.

Creation88
02-10-2011, 10:50 AM
for the record, i got upgraded from section 221 to the 4th freaking row when the Clippers came to town, because no one went to see them. :lol

hater
02-10-2011, 10:51 AM
well Griffin is a human highlight reel. I'm surprised Spurs got 45% of the vote.

hater
02-10-2011, 10:53 AM
To be fair, I think people would rather see the Clips than the Lakers play right now. :lol

agree 100%

Clips cause of griffin are probably top 5 must see team. I was actually pondering going see them when they come to town.

I am actually shocked so many ppl like the Spurs. :tu

Creation88
02-10-2011, 10:53 AM
Dan said he'd take the Spurs, himself. all the Dannettes would take Clippers. Dan also says Tim Duncan one of the best all time and Manu is one of his favorite players.

Bito Corleone
02-10-2011, 10:54 AM
The question should have been: "Would you rather see Blake Griffin or the Spurs"

Nobody cares about the Clippers. They just want to see Griffin's next highlight-reel dunk, and if they cared about basketball they could watch a quality game (Spurs) and then just watch SportsCenter to see what Griffin did.

fantasyfootball
02-10-2011, 10:57 AM
Yeah, that's because of Kevin Love saying that Blake Griffin should have made the all star team instead of Tim Duncan because Duncan's boring and doesn't score. He prefaced it with a "Not taking anything away from Duncan" before he said it, though.

This is true. Who wouldn't to see Blake over Duncan? Over the latter years of his ASG career, Duncan just rebounds, swings the ball, and gets in a few layups.

The Tim Duncan show was great early in his career but he's now the most boring guy on the court. The ASG isn't about being effective.

Creation88
02-10-2011, 11:05 AM
i'm behind on my DVR but Dan's gonna ask Love about his comments regarding Tim not being worthy of being in the ASG.

Blake
02-10-2011, 11:12 AM
The question should have been: "Would you rather see Blake Griffin or the Spurs"

Blake Griffin or Manu

Obstructed_View
02-10-2011, 11:15 AM
This is true. Who wouldn't to see Blake over Duncan? Over the latter years of his ASG career, Duncan just rebounds, swings the ball, and gets in a few layups.

The Tim Duncan show was great early in his career but he's now the most boring guy on the court. The ASG isn't about being effective.

And if you just care about an entertaining show, then Blake is your guy. That said, if they did what Kevin Love said, he'd be odd man out because he isn't an exciting player and is on a shitty team. I don't think there's anyone that would deny that Duncan could probably get 20 and 12 on a team where winning and defense weren't a concern and you could play him for 38-40 minutes a night.

Obstructed_View
02-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Kevin Love is on here talking about how he watches his stats during the game to make sure his double-double streak continues.

ohmwrecker
02-10-2011, 11:19 AM
I would actually prefer to see Dan Patrick take a hockey puck slap shot to his big, fat dumb Irish head tbh.

ohmwrecker
02-10-2011, 11:21 AM
Kevin Love is an overrated stat whore on a shitty team and also . . . boring

kskonn
02-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Dan has always been a pretty big Duncan Supporter. I remember on his show he has said a number of times that he never misses a chance to see duncan due to him being the greatest player at his position of all time.

He also used a great analogy to describe the spurs- he called them the worlds greates side dish. Basically he was saying that often times the lakers, celtics etc... where the steak, due to their popularity, but that the Spurs were the unbelivable side dishes that made the entire meal unforgettable. the analogy prompted a few angry Spurs fans to call in but I thought he was spot on.

Mugen
02-10-2011, 11:24 AM
kevin love is bay far the most overrated player in the league who plays no defense. plenty of rebounds to go around when you play on the T-Wolves and Beasley is shootin the way he does.

cant believe the other thread where people actually argued about taking Love over Blake Griffin. :rollin

Love's ceiling is a #2 option on a lower seeded playoff team.

Dr. Gonzo
02-10-2011, 11:27 AM
well Griffin is a human highlight reel. I'm surprised Spurs got 45% of the vote.

Blasphemy! There can only be one Human Highlight Reel.

http://thestartingfive.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/1990-dominique-wilkins.jpg

kskonn
02-10-2011, 11:28 AM
Dan has always been a pretty big Duncan Supporter. I remember on his show he has said a number of times that he never misses a chance to see duncan due to him being the greatest player at his position of all time.

He also used a great analogy to describe the spurs- he called them the worlds greates side dish. Basically he was saying that often times the lakers, celtics etc... where the steak, due to their popularity, but that the Spurs were the unbelivable side dishes that made the entire meal unforgettable. the analogy prompted a few angry Spurs fans to call in but I thought he was spot on.

Strike what I just said- for some reason I confused Colin Cowherd and Dan Patrick.

Colin Cowherd said the above stuff.

SenorSpur
02-10-2011, 11:33 AM
I just can't wait for the Spurs to stick it to NBA fans, media and the rest of the free world, by storming their way to their 5th NBA Championship. Despite the best wishes of the general populace, who yearn for flash, sizzle and style, the Spurs just kill you with execution, efficiency and delicious precision. In such a superficial, delusional world, you would think that sort of thing would be appreciated.

Having the Spurs win the title will be the ultimate display of the uninvited party crashers, going home with the pretty girl, when the rest of the arrogant, Hollywood, frontrunners (Fakers, Heat. or Celtics) are left wondering how and why they did it.

pawe
02-10-2011, 11:35 AM
I watched sportscenter last night and they were keeping score of dunks by Griffin and the other Knick center instead of the actual score.
With all the show off power dunking he's doing, its just a matter of time before his body breaks down again.

Blake
02-10-2011, 11:41 AM
With all the show off power dunking he's doing, its just a matter of time before his body breaks down again.

I always thought that about Amare when he was throwing them down early on in his career......yet here he is having an MVP type season in his 9th season.

fyatuk
02-10-2011, 11:46 AM
I always thought that about Amare when he was throwing them down early on in his career......yet here he is having an MVP type season in his 9th season.

on surgically repaired knees...

Creation88
02-10-2011, 11:48 AM
Love back peddling on DP Show

Mr. Body
02-10-2011, 11:49 AM
If I were a casual fan, I'd like to see Blake Griffin play.

My order:

LA Clippers
SA Spurs
LA Lakers

The Lakers are really boring this year.

lefty
02-10-2011, 12:24 PM
I remember Dan Patrick saying during the 2007 NBA Finals : " if the same Spurs team played in L.A or NY, they wouldn't be perceived as boring "

Dan Patrick :tu

CubanMustGo
02-10-2011, 12:27 PM
Boring = media code for "we can't figure out how they keep winning, so let's call them boring."

Boring = opposition fan base code for "we can't beat them, so we'll call them boring."

Boring = best record in the NBA last ten years.

Boring = four rings so far, good shot at fifth if we stay healthy.

Boring = good enough for me.

Spursfanfromafar
02-10-2011, 12:28 PM
With the way that Kevin Love plays defense...he's not taking anything away from anybody.

Ha! This :)

pawe
02-10-2011, 12:42 PM

Amare is black. We all know that their bodies are made for these types of activities. It's all in the genes. Not being racist.

FkLA
02-10-2011, 01:30 PM
Wow, did Love really have the audacity to make those comments? Mothafucker is a supped up version of David Lee and yet he takes a shot at the greatest PF and Top 10 player of all-time. You play no defense, have no post game, thus draw no double teams to make your teammates better...hence your 10 wins. STFU.

Besides didnt Griffin make the all-star team ?

pawe
02-10-2011, 02:03 PM
Give it to him. That's all they have right now. They wont sniff a finals appearance anytime soon so let them fight for all star appearance scraps.
TD on the other hand is getting ready for SPAM.

cd98
02-10-2011, 02:38 PM
I'm sure Tim would own Love after those comments, but the only way for Tim to play against Love this year is for Minnesota to make the playoffs. No way Love can make that happen.

tmtcsc
02-10-2011, 02:54 PM

:toast Very nicely done.

crc21209
02-10-2011, 04:44 PM
Ooohhh Yeah I would much rather see a guy dunk 2 or 3 times a game and watch his team get blown out than see a team with a future HOF coach, a once in a lifetime Power Foward for the ages, and 2 international all-star guards. :rolleyes :lol

m33p0
02-10-2011, 05:36 PM
this thread is full of lulz
+100 :tu

Sec24Row7
02-10-2011, 06:01 PM
Ooohhh Yeah I would much rather see a guy dunk 2 or 3 times a game and watch his team get blown out than see a team with a future HOF coach, a once in a lifetime Power Foward for the ages, and 2 international all-star guards. :rolleyes :lol

Tim, Pop, Tony and Manu are all hall of famers... as is Peter Holt eventually...

xtremesteven33
02-10-2011, 06:39 PM
Its pretty pathetic how ESPN talks more about the worst team of all time (Cavaliers) more than one of the greatest starts in NBA History....Go Figure

san antonio spurs
02-10-2011, 11:48 PM
I'm a spurs fan, and I'd rather see Blake Griffin in that game. Duncan has no business being there. Not that he doesn't deserve it but it's not really his game anymore (for the last couple of years actually)

howbouthemspurs
02-10-2011, 11:55 PM
Wow , even when the Spurs are scoring way more than ever, they still get casted out as boring... i still dont understand it!

Man In Black
02-11-2011, 01:49 AM
The Programming Geniuses at the Networks are all out to push an American as much as possible Agenda. And our team, doesn't quite fit the bill.
The Spurs don't have a top 20 Largest DMA(Designated Media Area) think TV households. The Spurs don't have an outgoing street thug type-leader,
and rather than go the Individuals are greater than TEAM, the Spurs value TEAM first.
In essence, they play the way you're told, your children should play when they first start...THE RIGHT WAY!

Fuck The 4-Letter and all other programming assholes who think America won't embrace International Stars. There's a reason why there was only 1 Bruce Lee film done with his real voice. There's a reason that Asian characters were played by the likes of Mickey Rooney and Jerry Lewis, and there's a reason why Starship Troopers The Movie, had their lead character change his ethnic origin from Heinlein's original story, which was Filipino to Argentinian, because the programming geniuses felt that no one would identify with a Filipino, so they went Casper Van Diem...you're now from Buenos Aires.

All of that...moves that you wouldn't do today. And yet the powers that be keep giving these guys more rope.

spurs10
02-11-2011, 02:34 AM
Love is not too bright obviously. Talking about Tim Duncan with anything less than the utmost respect is absolutely foolish.

Spurcase
02-11-2011, 03:01 AM
I just can't wait for the Spurs to stick it to NBA fans, media and the rest of the free world, by storming their way to their 5th NBA Championship. Despite the best wishes of the general populace, who yearn for flash, sizzle and style, the Spurs just kill you with execution, efficiency and delicious precision. In such a superficial, delusional world, you would think that sort of thing would be appreciated.

Having the Spurs win the title will be the ultimate display of the uninvited party crashers, going home with the pretty girl, when the rest of the arrogant, Hollywood, frontrunners (Fakers, Heat. or Celtics) are left wondering how and why they did it.

Well said. :lobt2:

G-Dawgg
02-11-2011, 03:44 AM
I like my Spurs. I don't give a fuck who else likes them. As long as they keep winning, I'm a happier than a pig in shit....

Obstructed_View
02-11-2011, 04:36 AM
Love is not too bright obviously. Talking about Tim Duncan with anything less than the utmost respect is absolutely foolish.

Not so much. He waited until after they'd played the Spurs for the season to say it.

Slippy
02-11-2011, 06:25 AM
If you chose
spurs - fan of the game and team.

Clippers - fan of the dunk and player.

dbestpro
02-11-2011, 08:41 AM
Wow , even when the Spurs are scoring way more than ever, they still get casted out as boring... i still dont understand it!

You have touched upon an unspoken truth. The truth is the media has never really cared about the game or the way it is played, but rather the personalities of the players.

The Spurs, personality wise, are boring because they like to focus their job on basketball rather than show boating or playing up their celebrity status in the public. It is our focus that is the culprit and one of the main reasons we have our rings as a small market team.

Jimcs50
02-11-2011, 08:53 AM
I love Dan Patrick. Always my favorite radio/tv host, hands down.

Also he was great in Sandler's new movie Just go with It

Obstructed_View
02-11-2011, 09:05 AM
It's odd that the Spurs are everything ESPN loves in an NFL team, but everything ESPN hates in an NBA team.

Jimcs50
02-11-2011, 09:13 AM
It's odd that the Spurs are everything ESPN loves in an NFL team, but everything ESPN hates in an NBA team.

That is because the NFL markets teams, whereas, the NBA markets players.

K-State Spur
02-11-2011, 09:38 AM

That + I think it's that the Spurs force the ESPN talking heads to talk solely about what is happening on the court.

Truth be told, most of the douches with pens don't really know the game that well. It's much easier to write an article about Kobe making a Black Swan reference than it is to talk about the evolution of the offensive sets since the Spurs last title.

Jimcs50
02-11-2011, 09:55 AM
That + I think it's that the Spurs force the ESPN talking heads to talk solely about what is happening on the court.

Truth be told, most of the douches with pens don't really know the game that well. It's much easier to write an article about Kobe making a Black Swan reference than it is to talk about the evolution of the offensive sets since the Spurs last title.

I have a question for you K-State Spur. Don't you think your basketball coach is the biggest douchebag college coach since Bobby Knight? I do not see how any highschool player would ever even think about playing for that prick.

Warlord23
02-11-2011, 10:17 AM

+1.

This is the biggest gripe I have with Stern and the media.

They seem to think that NFL fans are hardcore and want to know about strategy, formations, playbooks, training camp reports etc and pay a lot of attention to all these aspects (effectively the on-field part of the game, as K-State alluded to). Even MLB followers are inundated with stats.

When it comes to the NBA, they seem to assume that nobody cares about Xs and Os, advanced stats, playbooks. Somehow the NBA fanbase is mostly fed highlight plays, player-coach tiffs, off-court problems, trash talk etc. One could argue that the type of coverage the NBA receives ultimately influences the fanbase, rather than the other way round.

K-State Spur
02-11-2011, 10:24 AM
I have a question for you K-State Spur. Don't you think your basketball coach is the biggest douchebag college coach since Bobby Knight? I do not see how any highschool player would ever even think about playing for that prick.

One of the reporters at Big 12 media day last October took a poll of "coach you most want to play for other than your own" amongst the players in attendance - and Frank Martin won by an overwhelming margin. They felt he would best push them to make them the best player they could be.

He's obviously not for every kid, but the players that do play for him love him. Also, don't mistake his gameday persona for his everyday personality. By all accounts, his intensity drops (just a bit) for practices and film sessions where he takes more of a teaching approach.

Hell, in the Big 12, behind closed doors, easily the least popular coach in this conference is Scott Drew.

GrandeDavid
02-11-2011, 10:40 AM

And I'd like to see Kevin Love put up those numbers on an average team, not a cellar-dweller like Minnesota. Tim in his prime would've put up 30/30 a game on that awful Minnesota team which, btw, Love is incapable of helping "turn the corner".

Kevin Love is a good NBA player and he's making an All Star appearance as there's a void in front court talent. Tim is nearing the end of a legendary career. Love's team got cleaned up spotless by a Spurs broom this season. (yawn)

GrandeDavid
02-11-2011, 10:42 AM

Exactly!

And end of the day, I don't care what anyone outside of the Spurs fan base cares about the Spurs. The Spurs' historical winning percentage, playoff and championship success does the walking.

Jimcs50
02-11-2011, 11:00 AM
One of the reporters at Big 12 media day last October took a poll of "coach you most want to play for other than your own" amongst the players in attendance - and Frank Martin won by an overwhelming margin. They felt he would best push them to make them the best player they could be.

He's obviously not for every kid, but the players that do play for him love him. Also, don't mistake his gameday persona for his everyday personality. By all accounts, his intensity drops (just a bit) for practices and film sessions where he takes more of a teaching approach.

Hell, in the Big 12, behind closed doors, easily the least popular coach in this conference is Scott Drew.

Ok, I was wondering what was up there, because every time I see him, he's screaming at some poor kid and benching him if he makes one bad shot.

mingus
02-11-2011, 11:01 AM
Stern has just failed badly at promoting the Spurs. He has even said publicly and w/o hesitation he'd rather have LA in the Finals (if can't remember which year he said he'd love a Lakers vs. Lakers Finals). It doesn't make any sense from a business standpoint to demote or devalue your best product.

The NBA is too concerned with tradition. If it doesn't have Boston or LA's name on it, it's not worth watching is what the media will tell you. They have put virtually all their eggs in that basket. Stern is a shit commissioner. The Spurs aren't boring. That's a cop out for him for what a shitty job he's done to make the league better by bringing more and deserved attention to other franchises.

mingus
02-11-2011, 11:09 AM
I also think that ESPN does a horrible job at getting analysts to do the NBA. Over the years, they've had Jalen Rose, Steven A. Smith, Jamal Mashburn and a lot of other complete ass analysts that have probably cut NBA viewership by half.

K-State Spur
02-11-2011, 11:13 AM
I also think that ESPN does a horrible job at getting analysts to do the NBA. Over the years, they've had Jalen Rose, Steven A. Smith, Jamal Mashburn and a lot of other complete ass analysts that have probably cut NBA viewership by half.

Agreed. Outside of Stein, I think their writers are awful (although I can tolerate Wilbon and Adande for stretches - but they still wear their favorites on their sleeves).

I do think their actual broadcasting teams are pretty solid. Hubie & JVG are terrific (if still not without their flaws) - and Marc Jackson is better than he used to be...although still annoying at times.

Barry's turning into a bitter douche who has lost his sense of humor.

Solid D
02-11-2011, 11:13 AM

You are a wise man, Jim.

Fantasy football has eroded that somewhat, but you make a great point.

mingus
02-11-2011, 11:23 AM
Agreed. Outside of Stein, I think their writers are awful (although I can tolerate Wilbon and Adande for stretches - but they still wear their favorites on their sleeves).

I do think their actual broadcasting teams are pretty solid. Hubie & JVG are terrific (if still not without their flaws) - and Marc Jackson is better than he used to be...although still annoying at times.

Barry's turning into a bitter douche who has lost his sense of humor.

Exactly. I just mentioned this in regards to Wilbon in another thread. It hurts the product. If Wilbon was objective, he'd be one of the best out there, but every time he's on T.V. I can see slobber dripping from his mouth. You know what you're going to get from him every time. You know who he won't and who he will criticize.

i agree with the broadcasting teams. except Mark Jackson can bve somewhat annoying with his "hand down, man down" bullshit that he says.

Obstructed_View
02-11-2011, 02:54 PM

Above and beyond that, they seem to let how much they enjoy spending time in an NBA city influence their reporting on the teams. That simply makes no sense. Can you imagine if NFL analysts on ESPN ever bad mouthed Green Bay or Pittsburgh because there wasn't enough night life there during the playoffs?