PDA

View Full Version : ESPN First Take just had this topic...

ace3g
02-10-2011, 02:57 PM
All time Celtics/Lakers Team vs NBA, Who Wins?

LnGrrrR
02-10-2011, 03:45 PM
Tough one, and near impossible to determine since the eras are all jumbled. Probably the Lakers, just due to prime Shaq, Wilt and Magic. C's bench might be a bit deeper. Definitely would be an interesting game.

NASpurs
02-10-2011, 03:47 PM
Tough one, and near impossible to determine since the eras are all jumbled. Probably the Lakers, just due to prime Shaq, Wilt and Magic. C's bench might be a bit deeper. Definitely would be an interesting game.

I think you misunderstood the question. Make a combined team with all time Lakers and Celtics greats and pit them against the all time greats from the rest of the NBA.

usdane
02-10-2011, 03:51 PM
All-time Lakers/Celts would bitch-slap All-time NBA.

monosylab1k
02-10-2011, 03:52 PM
lol Celtics/Lakers team would get assfucked

lefty
02-10-2011, 03:53 PM
Tough question

So many HOFers

DMC
02-10-2011, 03:53 PM
It would be hard. Shaq would play against himself as would anyone else who's been on other teams. Would Malone be on the Jazz or Lakers?

Stupid question tbh

monosylab1k
02-10-2011, 03:54 PM
and what is the criteria for this? just anyone who's ever worn a Laker/Celtic jersey, or somebody whose best years were with the team? Is Malone or Walton on the Laker/Celtic side?

DMC
02-10-2011, 03:55 PM
I think the Dream team beats about anyone ever, and they had one Laker and one Celtic.

Michael, Scotty, DRob, Hakeem and Stockton would be hard as hell to beat.

rickross
02-10-2011, 03:56 PM
nba team got MUCH more defense. They'd rape pretty bad tbh.

Payton/Jordan/Bron/Timmy/Hakeem

NIgga nobody scorin on dat team, they lockin shit down like crazy and gotta a shitload if size to boot 2.

ALVAREZ6
02-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Stockton/Kidd/whoever
Jordan
LeBron
so many PFs/Cs
so many PFs/Cs

usdane
It would be hard. Shaq would play against himself as would anyone else who's been on other teams. Would Malone be on the Jazz or Lakers?

Stupid question tbh

Any Laker/Celt against the rest. Shaq would have to come of the bench.

rickross
and what is the criteria for this? just anyone who's ever worn a Laker/Celtic jersey, or somebody whose best years were with the team? Is Malone or Walton on the Laker/Celtic side?

dam son u and ur gurl look great. God bless.

rickross
02-10-2011, 03:59 PM
LMAO @ shaq. Jordan n bron in da lane shit gon make it extremely tough on centers 2 stay outta foul trouble.

HarlemHeat37
02-10-2011, 03:59 PM
It would have to be when they were at their peaks in a Lakers/Celtics jersey, I would imagine..otherwise, it wouldn't make any sense..

It would also have to make sense, fit-wise, so it wouldn't just be the best players on the team in the starting lineups..

usdane
02-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Just how would the Nba handle these big men. Kareem, Russell, Wilt, Shaq, Walton and more.

DMC
02-10-2011, 04:01 PM
LMAO @ shaq. Jordan n bron in da lane shit gon make it extremely tough on centers 2 stay outta foul trouble.
That would be a nightmare. You get Barkley to choose from as well.

Let me know when, I am buying tickets and airfare for this shit... house be damned lol

in2deep
02-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Magic
Kobe
Bird
McHale
Shaq
vs.
Isaiah
Jordan
Lebron
Duncan
Hakeem

I think NBA team would win.
(disclaimer: Wilt not included because I assumed question is asking for human beings and it just wouldn't be fair to the other team)

DMC
02-10-2011, 04:04 PM
Just how would the Nba handle these big men. Kareem, Russell, Wilt, Shaq, Walton and more.
Foul Shaq. Problem solved.

Those others could be a problem, but Wilt wouldn't score 50 with the Dream and Timmy in the front court, not to mention DRob and a host of other choices.

Phillip
02-10-2011, 04:05 PM
How I would build the teams...

Team Celtics/Lakers:

PG - Magic, Cousy
SG - Kobe, Pierce
SF - Bird, Worthy
PF - McHale, Garnett
C - Kareem, Shaq

Team NBA:

PG - Stockton, Nash
SG - Jordan, Robertson
SF - Lebron, Pippen
PF - Duncan, Nowitzki
C - Hakeem, Robinson

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Would this game be played without the recent rules regarding Hack-a-____ plays?

z0sa
02-10-2011, 04:07 PM
NBA team would skullfuck them.

usdane
02-10-2011, 04:09 PM
Magic
Kobe
Bird
McHale
Shaq
vs.
Isaiah
Jordan
Lebron
Duncan
Hakeem

I think NBA team would win.
(disclaimer: Wilt not included because I assumed question is asking for human beings and it just wouldn't be fair to the other team)

Russell as PF and Kareem as C and Wilt was human.

HarlemHeat37

Team Celtics/Lakers:

PG - Magic, Cousy
SG - Kobe, Pierce
SF - Bird, Worthy
PF - McHale, Garnett
C - Kareem, Shaq

Team NBA:

PG - Stockton, Nash
SG - Jordan, Robertson
SF - Lebron, Pippen
PF - Duncan, Nowitzki
C - Hakeem, Robinson

This sounds about right, except I wouldn't include Cousy, since by all accounts, his game wouldn't translate to today's games..I would just move Jerry West to PG instead of him, since he could play the 1 or the 2..

I would have Nash at starting PG and take Stockton out, put in Isiah or Payton instead(for different reasons, I'd lean towards Isiah)..

If Wilt is included in the NBA side, which he should be, I would put him there instead of Robinson..Wilt was past his prime as a Laker, his best years came when he wasn't with them, so he shouldn't be included on the NBA side..

DMC

Team Celtics/Lakers:

PG - Magic, Cousy
SG - Kobe, Pierce
SF - Bird, Worthy
PF - McHale, Garnett
C - Kareem, Shaq

Team NBA:

PG - Stockton, Nash
SG - Jordan, Robertson
SF - Lebron, Pippen
PF - Duncan, Nowitzki
C - Hakeem, Robinson
I wouldn't play Nash. He cannot play defense. I would take Zeke over him any day. Actually I would put Chris Paul over Nash if I had to make a team today, even in their primes.

Magic would eat Nash alive.

Killakobe81
02-10-2011, 04:10 PM
Lakers/Celts especially if no duplicates allowed ....

C - Kareem, Shaq, Wilt,
PF - Russell (we that deep), Mchale, KG
SF - Bird, Baylor, Hondo (Pierce and Worthy as scrubs)
SG - Kobe, West and Ray Allen or Goodrich
PG - Magic, Cousy, DJ, Tiny

Even against MJ, Hakeem etc. you cant score inside even if bird and Magic are average perimeter defenders ...Kareem and Russell? or Wilt and KG? Even shaq and Mchale No one is getting easy inside looks ... Magic and Bird's vision on the same team with big men and Kobe to pass to? Wow.

Other guys

PG Stockton Isiah and (Nash or Kidd)
SG MJ Oscar (and whomever ... you wont sit MJ)
SF Lebron Pippen Nique (debateable but i love Nique)
PF Duncan Malone Barkley
C HAkeem David Ewing

Great team I take Lakers/Celtics still but OMG at starters: MJ,Lebron, Isiah, Duncan and hakeem ...

BanditHiro
02-10-2011, 04:11 PM
would kobe be the luke walton of the team?

DMC
02-10-2011, 04:11 PM
PG - Kobe, Kobe
SG - Kobe, Kobe
SF - Kobe, Kobe
PF - Kobe, Kobe
C - Kobe, Kobe

Team NBA:

Doesn't matter

(Let's be serious, who doesn't believe this is the real Laker fan take?)

DMC
02-10-2011, 04:13 PM
What I am seeing is acknowledgment that Duncan is the best PF to ever play the game.

Phillip
02-10-2011, 04:13 PM
I wouldn't play Nash. He cannot play defense. I would take Zeke over him any day. Actually I would put Chris Paul over Nash if I had to make a team today, even in their primes.

*yawn*

Magic, Bird, McHale, and Shaq were all mediocre to shit defenders as well.

Nash is far more skilled than CP3 is. Don't get me wrong, CP3 is incredibly skilled, but he is not as good of a shooter, passer, or as high IQ of a player. He relies more off his athletic ability to create offense for himself and the team, while Nash relies more on instincts, IQ, and skills.

Plus, Nash isnt a heartless choker like CP3. Dude has as much heart and is as clutch as any player in NBA history.

Phillip
02-10-2011, 04:14 PM
What I am seeing is acknowledgment that Duncan is the best PF to ever play the game.

thats pretty much been established for years

Killakobe81
02-10-2011, 04:16 PM
Team NBA better PERIMETER defense but even if you take away Wilt ...Kareem and Russell? Are you serious? Even Lebron Mj will have a tough time scoring aginst that ...Only thing is Lebron would destroy Bird ...Lakers Celts would have to play 3-2 zone or 1-2-2 (I know it's illegal but all teams use zone principles gainst the Kobe, Lebron MJ types) to hid Magic and Bird on defense both were decent team defenders but mediocre 1 0n 1 ...

Phillip
02-10-2011, 04:16 PM
This sounds about right, except I wouldn't include Cousy, since by all accounts, his game wouldn't translate to today's games..I would just move Jerry West to PG instead of him, since he could play the 1 or the 2..

I would have Nash at starting PG and take Stockton out, put in Isiah or Payton instead(for different reasons, I'd lean towards Isiah)..

If Wilt is included in the NBA side, which he should be, I would put him there instead of Robinson..Wilt was past his prime as a Laker, his best years came when he wasn't with them, so he shouldn't be included on the NBA side..

Honestly, I personally would start Nash as well over Stockton, and I can agree with arguments made for Zeke or Payton. I don't think people realize just how skilled Nash really is. Maybe not a strong defender, but if you have Hakeem, Duncan, and Robinson backing you up, along with Jordan and Pippen giving you wing help, it's not going to make much of a difference whether you have Nash on defense, or Payton on defense, since team defense when guarding opposing PGs means more to me than individual defense. On the other hand, when it comes to guarding SG's and C's, I think having solid individual defenders becomes more important.

Killakobe81
02-10-2011, 04:18 PM
Kobe would have to take Olympic role he had with less shots ...

Killakobe81
02-10-2011, 04:20 PM
thats pretty much been established for years

Co-sign. Who debates this? Only issue I have he really was a center for most of his career but if you put him at PF the debate is closed in my book. Malone or Barkley would need at least 2 rings to be a factor and neither have one ...

HarlemHeat37
02-10-2011, 04:24 PM
Ya, Nash is one of the most underrated players of all-time IMO, despite the fact that he has 2 MVPs..I don't think most people realize how great he has been..the majority of NBA fans seem to obsess over his "undeserved" MVPs and lack of defense..I also find it funny that most people that bash Nash for his "system" numbers, ignore the fact that Stockton might be the most system-oriented player in NBA history..

I agree about the D..as I've been saying for years, PG defense is extremely overrated in today's NBA, and even in the history of the NBA..

ChrisRichards
02-10-2011, 04:26 PM
All NBA team would shit over the Lakers/Celtics best players.

My All NBA

Stockton/Gary Payton
Jordan/Reggie Miller
Lebron/Pippen
Duncan/Malone
Olajuwon/D Robinson

Celtics/Lakers Best offensiveperimeter players are no match against Pippen, Payton and Jordan. On offense, no one can stop a prime Jordan and Lebron with Wade sitting on the sideline :lol

Olajuwon at his best is better than Shaq at his lol. We all saw how an older Olajuwon shredded Shaq in the Finals. Duncan & Malone vs McHale & KG? Should I continue?

Leetonidas
02-10-2011, 04:29 PM
So it's pretty much:

Shaq
Russel
Bird
Kobe
Magic

vs.

Hakeem
Duncan
LeBron?
Jordan
Kidd/Stockton/Whoever

NBA destroys that

Phillip
02-10-2011, 04:31 PM
Ya, Nash is one of the most underrated players of all-time IMO, despite the fact that he has 2 MVPs..I don't think most people realize how great he has been..the majority of NBA fans seem to obsess over his "undeserved" MVPs and lack of defense..I also find it funny that most people that bash Nash for his "system" numbers, ignore the fact that Stockton might be the most system-oriented player in NBA history..

not to mention that the suns went from a 20 win team to a 60 win team instantly with his arrival, and that he has been able to be a damn good PG with all kinds of different styles of player, whether with Dirk and Finley, Marion, Stoudemire, Diaw, Richardson, Hill, etc... dude keeps putting up 10+ assists and 50/40/90 years. Amazing. And IMO the best jumpshooter ever.

How many PG's were truly great defenders? Payton was one of the few that could actually really play good "glue" defense. Other guys like Stockton, Isaiah, CP3, etc... were just about hacking, going for steals, etc... but werent much if any better than Nash at playing straight up defense. Only difference is these guys had teams with good defensive systems and guys who manned the paint effectively, something Nash has never had. I dont think people realize how important it is to have a good interior/team defense to help other individual defenders. When you look at guys like Bruce Bowen, Ron Artest, Pippen, etc... they played their most effective defense when having good interior/team defense. Bowen of course had Timmy back behind him. Artest had a good defensive team around him in Indiana, a good defensive team around him in Houston, as well as having the length of Bynum and Pau in LA. Pippen of course played on the Bulls who were always a very good defensive team. Best interior defender Nash ever had? Arguably Shawn Bradley... LMAO.

Mugen
02-10-2011, 04:31 PM
I'd put Lebron at the point and scottie at the 3.....

Lebron
MJ
Pippen
Duncan
Olajuwon

v

Magic
Kobe
Bird
McHale
Shaq

Shaq would have to be absolutely dominant for the Celtics/Lakers to stand a chance against a team that athletic. i think NBA wins and it aint even close. Answer for everything the Cs/Lakers throw at them.

cheguevara
02-10-2011, 04:33 PM
Kobe would have the "Laettner" role in that team at best. Once he chucks 5 bricks in a row, he'd be relegated to waterboy by Kareem, Shaq and Magic.

and :lmao Nash in the conversation

Phillip
02-10-2011, 04:34 PM
im a dumbass mexican who never can offer anything of substance to a conversation other than my awful beaner thoughts. im going to go eat a lard and bean burrito.

cheguevara
02-10-2011, 04:34 PM
Lol nash

Leetonidas
02-10-2011, 04:36 PM
Honestly, I personally would start Nash as well over Stockton, and I can agree with arguments made for Zeke or Payton. I don't think people realize just how skilled Nash really is. Maybe not a strong defender, but if you have Hakeem, Duncan, and Robinson backing you up, along with Jordan and Pippen giving you wing help, it's not going to make much of a difference whether you have Nash on defense, or Payton on defense, since team defense when guarding opposing PGs means more to me than individual defense. On the other hand, when it comes to guarding SG's and C's, I think having solid individual defenders becomes more important.

I...actually...agree with you :wow

Agloco
02-10-2011, 04:37 PM
lol Celtics/Lakers team would get assfucked

This.

MJ goes bukkake mode on everyone.

Mugen
02-10-2011, 04:38 PM
if couldnt start LeBron at point, then i'd go Stockton/Nash.

no way MJ ever passes to Zeke.

in2deep
02-10-2011, 04:40 PM
good point when we bring the reality of EGOs to the equation. Things stand different. No way Shaq plays with Kobe and no way prime Kobe deferrs to superior players like Magic/Kareem/Wilt. Same thing with Shaq, he won't play behind the other great bigmen.

Similarly on the NBA side, MJ and Isiah, but besides those, I see nice chemistry.

another advantrage point to the NBA team.

another thing, do we agree Pop coaches NBA and Jackson the LA/Cs?

Phillip
02-10-2011, 04:49 PM
I...actually...agree with you :wow

When you arent busy cutting yourself because you are an emo fat mexican, or swallowing the entire spurs team's jizz simultaneously, you may actually be capable of understanding a logical thought presented on this forum. Keep it up :tu

Muser
02-10-2011, 04:49 PM
Prime Duncan and Hakeem protecting the paint? Prime GOAT? That team would just skullfuck the Celtics/Lakers team.

Phillip
02-10-2011, 04:50 PM
No way Shaq plays with Kobe

they won 3 rings together despite not getting along and letting their egos get in the way. moot point.

Phillip
02-10-2011, 04:51 PM
Prime Duncan and Hakeem protecting the paint?

+1

this is why you can add offensive machines who arent quite as effective on the defensive end, like Nash or Dirk.

Mugen
02-10-2011, 04:51 PM
good point when we bring the reality of EGOs to the equation. Things stand different. No way Shaq plays with Kobe and no way prime Kobe deferrs to superior players like Magic/Kareem/Wilt. Same thing with Shaq, he won't play behind the other great bigmen.

Similarly on the NBA side, MJ and Isiah, but besides those, I see nice chemistry.

another advantrage point to the NBA team.

another thing, do we agree Pop coaches NBA and Jackson the LA/Cs?

i'd go with Red for the LA/Cs and Pat Riley for the NBA squad. Pop really hasn't had to deal with too many big egos and everybody knows that the brothas would listen to Riles.

in2deep
02-10-2011, 04:52 PM
they won 3 rings together despite not getting along and letting their egos get in the way. moot point.

Well, Shaq and Kobe could have won 6,7,8 or 9 rings by now if not for the hate. but anyway good point. But by that coin, for rings I'm sure MJ/Isiah tolerate each other for a couple of years.

DMC
02-10-2011, 04:55 PM
We are talking about talents and prime, not egos and age.

Kobe would never pass the ball, especially in that crowd. He would have to use that moment to be seen as better than all of them.

The NBA stomps the living shit out of them, not even close.

Agloco
02-10-2011, 04:55 PM
Prime Duncan and Hakeem protecting the paint? Prime GOAT? That team would just skullfuck the Celtics/Lakers team.

Yeah not to mention MJ, Pippen and LeBron on the perimeter.

How the fuck does anyone score against that squad?

TDMVPDPOY
02-10-2011, 04:57 PM

Magic would eat Nash alive.

imo u need bigger pgs to play against magic or have one of the wings defending him

remove oscar, shift pippen down to pg duties or lebron, insert wade and webber, dirk at sf

GoodOdor
02-10-2011, 04:59 PM
I don't think just throwing the best at each position into a team formation works.....can't have 5 number 1's, where each is used to shooting 20+ attempts a game, with a huge ego as well.

LnGrrrR
02-10-2011, 05:01 PM
I think you misunderstood the question. Make a combined team with all time Lakers and Celtics greats and pit them against the all time greats from the rest of the NBA.

All-time Lakers/Celts would bitch-slap All-time NBA.

usdane answered for me. Sorry for the misunderstanding though.

HarlemHeat37
02-10-2011, 05:06 PM
I don't think just throwing the best at each position into a team formation works.....can't have 5 number 1's, where each is used to shooting 20+ attempts a game, with a huge ego as well.

Pretty much..

If we're talking about egos, none of these teams would realistically function well, so I don't think that's a relevant part of the discussion..

rickross
02-10-2011, 05:10 PM
usdane answered for me. Sorry for the misunderstanding though.

what niggas in dis thread dont understand is dat

bron/pippen/duncan/hakeem/drob dont need and will not ask 4 a shitload of shots. Pippen is proven, brons provin it this season, duncan's a given and the rest are smart humble decent players.

Only nigga dat needs da ball is MJ so dats ok.

Add 2 dat that all players on nba team have excellent range (shaq guardin dream/timmy means shaq gon have to guard a midrange j/bankshot all day).
Not to mention theyll get a HUGE no of fts.

Plus pippen/mj/bron/duncan/hakeem are insane defensively and will kill a team with shaq/russ/bird/mchale on da break. Can u imagine a break wit mj/bron/drob/scottie ?

People overratin da shit outta lakers/celtics. NBA team would beat da shit outta dem, double digits easily.

rickross
02-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Pretty much..

If we're talking about egos, none of these teams would realistically function well, so I don't think that's a relevant part of the discussion..

brons a team player as a heat fan u should know dat nigga!
scottie proven 2 work well without shots
duncan proven
drob proven
dream proven

Except MJ deez niggas is willin passers and not da type to bitch if they winnin. NBA team would have no fuckin problem wit chemistry.

Sportcamper
02-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Wilt in his prime against today’s soft & spoiled prima donnas? Give Me Break…Magic feeds Wilt the ball on fast breaks & Wilt scores 75 points a game & never fouls out against MJ, Bird & Hakeem….Occasionally kick it out to Kobe & West just for giggles…Move Kareem to PF to launch uncontested sky hooks…Lakers 195 Rest of NBA 53…Riles & Phil just sit on the bench & smirk….

HarlemHeat37
02-10-2011, 05:14 PM
Wilt in his prime against today’s soft & spoiled prima donnas? Give Me Break…Magic feeds Wilt the ball on fast breaks & Wilt scores 75 points a game & never fouls out against MJ, Bird & Hakeem….Occasionally kick it out to Kobe & West just for giggles…Move Kareem to PF to launch uncontested sky hooks…Lakers 195 Rest of NBA 53…Riles & Phil just sit on the bench & smirk….

That's nice and all, except for the fact that Wilt in his prime didn't play for the Lakers..

in2deep
02-10-2011, 05:17 PM
Agree with sportcamper. That is why I excluded Wilt. Until proven otherwise he'd average 50 pts a game. Yeah I understand the argument he was playing with a bunch of whities. But no black/blue or anything player living or dead could have gotten the records he got. (only Shaq would have gotten close)

Plus he could qualify with either NBA or LA teams.

Kyle Orton
02-10-2011, 05:17 PM
Wilt in his prime against today’s soft & spoiled prima donnas?

Wilt against today's guys who actually match his size and strengths rather than a bunch of short, frail honkies mean Wilt isn't half the dominant presence he was in a watered down NBA with guys like Dolph Schayes playing at a HOF level.

Kyle Orton
02-10-2011, 05:19 PM
Agree with sportcamper. That is why I excluded Wilt. Until proven otherwise he'd average 50 pts a game. Yeah I understand the argument he was playing with a bunch of whities. But no black/blue or anything player living or dead could have gotten the records he got.

Put prime Shaq in that era he could easily average 50 PPG for a season (probably multiple seasons), and unlike Wilt could actually lead a team to more than one title in such a shitty era. Wilt and Russell are the two most overrated players of all time.

Phillip
02-10-2011, 05:20 PM
imo u need bigger pgs to play against magic or have one of the wings defending him

remove oscar, shift pippen down to pg duties or lebron, insert wade and webber, dirk at sf

on the contrary, how is magic supposed to guard someone like Nash? he would blow past him pretty much at will, and skullfuck him with the series of footwork moves and unorthodox types of shots he has at his disposal. i think it would pretty much be a wash in the end.

IMO, PG, SG, and a few other spots are a wash. the difference in a game like this would be the all-around abilities of Lebron/Pippen, Dirks unique perimeter ability, and the interior defense of guys like Duncan, Hakeem, and Robinson. I think those advantages would overcome whatever advantages Team Celtics/Lakers would have (the only advantage that I see for them is more dominant post scorers).

JMarkJohns
02-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Criteria has to be that you get the player named at the ability level he played with the team. So, players like Garnett and D.Johnson would be past prime while players like Payton, Malone and Walton were in serious decline.

You get the player who played for the Celtics or Lakers.

LnGrrrR
02-10-2011, 05:23 PM
what niggas in dis thread dont understand is dat

bron/pippen/duncan/hakeem/drob dont need and will not ask 4 a shitload of shots. Pippen is proven, brons provin it this season, duncan's a given and the rest are smart humble decent players.

Only nigga dat needs da ball is MJ so dats ok.

Add 2 dat that all players on nba team have excellent range (shaq guardin dream/timmy means shaq gon have to guard a midrange j/bankshot all day).
Not to mention theyll get a HUGE no of fts.

Plus pippen/mj/bron/duncan/hakeem are insane defensively and will kill a team with shaq/russ/bird/mchale on da break. Can u imagine a break wit mj/bron/drob/scottie ?

People overratin da shit outta lakers/celtics. NBA team would beat da shit outta dem, double digits easily.

Did you not notice the color of my name? :lol

Honestly though, Magic is better (IMO) than Pippen, and I think McHale could work against Tim Duncan down low. (Not saying it'd be easy, but I think he could be a presence.) Put Wilt in there as a PF alongside Shaq, tons of length there.

As someone above said, the best chance the NBA team would have would be to get on the fastbreak. If they could run the Lakers/C's team, they could win easily. I just don't think the Lakers/C's team would let them run it that easily.

Kyle Orton
02-10-2011, 05:24 PM
on the contrary, how is magic supposed to guard someone like Nash? he would blow past him pretty much at will, and skullfuck him with the series of footwork moves and unorthodox types of shots he has at his disposal.

Don't be retarded. Magic would take a steamy shit on Nash. Maybe Nash could blow by Magic then he'd have trees to finish over with McHale/Shaq. Idk how the fuck you could have Nash over Isiah Thomas, Thomas and Magic are by far the two best PGs in NBA history.

DMC
02-10-2011, 05:24 PM
TBH, the 72:10 Bulls would probably beat the all Laker/Celtics team, on chemistry alone.

Phillip
02-10-2011, 05:25 PM

You are a fucking stupidshit. Wilt in his prime is no better than Shaq in his prime. Maybe a little more mobile, but not any more powerfully dominant. Wilt got all his points scoring on worthless, undersized white dudes. He didn't have to worry about facing guys like Duncan, Hakeem, Robinson, Ewing, Shaq, Howard, etc... guys who are his size or bigger on a nightly basis.

Part of me wants to believe this is just a troll post, and if it is, only a lakerfan or an old fuck could pull this off, because many lakerfans/old fucks are actually ignorant and stupid enough to actually believe this.

TDMVPDPOY
02-10-2011, 05:27 PM
for pg u dont really need a natural pg

u can always have a point forward carrying the pg duties, someone like bron, wade, pippen...

forgot about malone/barkley, dr.j..need dirk on the squad for outside scoring....

TDMVPDPOY
for pg u dont really need a natural pg

u can always have a point forward carrying the pg duties, someone like bron, wade, pippen...

forgot about malone/barkley, dr.j..need dirk on the squad for outside scoring....

cheguevara
:lmao Nash guarding Magic

:lol Phillip

fucking retard

Mugen
02-10-2011, 05:30 PM
lmao at prime Wilt. no fucking way a prime wilt could contain a prime shaq.

Muser
02-10-2011, 05:30 PM
Agree with Phillip, Wilt is an all time great obviously.. wasn't his fault everyone else at the time sucked. But Hakeem would shut his ass down.

Is it just me or is Hakeem underrated by the media? I don't remember the last time I saw him in a list of top players but the guy was just an animal. Like a more athletic Dwight Howard with a lot better IQ and a very good offensive game.

LnGrrrR
02-10-2011, 05:31 PM
TBH, the 72:10 Bulls would probably beat the all Laker/Celtics team, on chemistry alone.

We're pretending chemistry doesn't exist for this exercise. :lol

Muser
02-10-2011, 05:32 PM
For those few prime years anyway.

Phillip
02-10-2011, 05:32 PM
Agree with sportcamper. That is why I excluded Wilt. Until proven otherwise he'd average 50 pts a game. Yeah I understand the argument he was playing with a bunch of whities. But no black/blue or anything player living or dead could have gotten the records he got. (only Shaq would have gotten close)

dammit, you are a stupidfuck too

Mugen
02-10-2011, 05:33 PM
i'm pretty sure Dwight Howard would put up Wilt numbers if he played in that era. that's ridiculous.

Muser
lol 50 points

Phillip
:lmao Magic guarding Nash

:lol cheguevara

fucking retard

LnGrrrR
02-10-2011, 05:34 PM
Agree with Phillip, Wilt is an all time great obviously.. wasn't his fault everyone else at the time sucked. But Hakeem would shut his ass down.

Is it just me or is Hakeem underrated by the media? I don't remember the last time I saw him in a list of top players but the guy was just an animal. Like a more athletic Dwight Howard with a lot better IQ and a very good offensive game.

Agreed, but by the same token, where's the love for Kareem Abdul Jabbar in this thread? :lol

C's/Lakers have a ridiculous amount of bigs to choose from.

Muser
02-10-2011, 05:34 PM
Fucking Al Horford could score a shit load in Wilts era.

cheguevara
02-10-2011, 05:35 PM
:lmao Magic guarding Nash

:lol cheguevara

fucking retard

Magic in his prime was faster, bigger and stronger than Nash. Of course he could guard him. Don't be an idiot.

Phillip
02-10-2011, 05:36 PM
Don't be retarded. Magic would take a steamy shit on Nash. Maybe Nash could blow by Magic then he'd have trees to finish over with McHale/Shaq. Idk how the fuck you could have Nash over Isiah Thomas, Thomas and Magic are by far the two best PGs in NBA history.

All Nash would have to do is put a move or two on Magic, Magic fucks up with his godawful defense, Nash has a wide open jumper which is almost a guaranteed make. Or imagine him running PnR with Hakeem, Magic and Shaq would be so befuddled its not even fun, while Nash would have oops to Hakeem every day.

Isiah Thomas wouldnt have any better of a chance at guarding Magic, nor at trying to finish over trees with McHale/Shaq.

Your hatred of Nash blinds you.

Muser
02-10-2011, 05:38 PM
Agreed, but by the same token, where's the love for Kareem Abdul Jabbar in this thread? :lol

C's/Lakers have a ridiculous amount of bigs to choose from.

Kareem/Hakeem would be a damn good battle. The one guy in NBA history would had the insane hops required to potentially block the sky hook, damn that would be awesome.

Phillip
02-10-2011, 05:40 PM
Magic in his prime was faster, bigger and stronger than Nash. Of course he could guard him. Don't be an idiot.

Horace Grant was bigger, stronger, was the fastest runner on the Bulls (which includes Michael Jordan). I guess that means he could guard him too.

fucking dumbass mexican

cheguevara
02-10-2011, 05:45 PM
LOL fastest runner. Horace was not faster than Jordan.

FAIL

TDMVPDPOY
02-10-2011, 05:45 PM
KG suppose to be on the nba team not the all celtics/lakers team

Sec24Row7
02-10-2011, 05:53 PM
All NBA team would shit over the Lakers/Celtics best players.

My All NBA

Stockton/Gary Payton
Jordan/Reggie Miller
Lebron/Pippen
Duncan/Malone
Olajuwon/D Robinson

Celtics/Lakers Best offensiveperimeter players are no match against Pippen, Payton and Jordan. On offense, no one can stop a prime Jordan and Lebron with Wade sitting on the sideline :lol

Olajuwon at his best is better than Shaq at his lol. We all saw how an older Olajuwon shredded Shaq in the Finals. Duncan & Malone vs McHale & KG? Should I continue?

Lakers...

LnGrrrR
02-10-2011, 05:54 PM
Honestly, when you think about it, if you name the top 10 centers/bigmen of all time, probably half of them have played for either the Lakers or Celtics in their career. :lol

Kyle Orton
02-10-2011, 05:54 PM
All Nash would have to do is put a move or two on Magic, Magic fucks up with his godawful defense, Nash has a wide open jumper which is almost a guaranteed make. Or imagine him running PnR with Hakeem, Magic and Shaq would be so befuddled its not even fun, while Nash would have oops to Hakeem every day.

Isiah Thomas wouldnt have any better of a chance at guarding Magic, nor at trying to finish over trees with McHale/Shaq.

Your hatred of Nash blinds you.

By this logic, Nash shoulda skull fucked Derek Fisher in the playoffs last year. It's not as simple as "this PG can drive by that PG". When he's the shortest player on the court, it's easy to bring help defense over and make him struggle to finish at the rim. Worst case scenario, they could switch Kobe onto him.

Isiah Thomas wouldn't have had a better chance against Magic :lmao? You're saying one of the best defensive PGs of all time wouldn't have a better chance guarding Magic than one of the worst defensive PGs of all time?

Muser
02-10-2011, 05:57 PM
Not trolling here, but Jordan would feast on Kobe's defense.

rickross
02-10-2011, 06:01 PM
no trollin here but team nba defense and help defense would be obscene. Imagine the no of tos you get from such freakish athleticism and defense.

TD 21
02-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Harlem, if you're going to factor in where each player played at their peak, then get Garnett and Allen off the Celtics. But then you get into a lot of semantics and subjectivity with regards to who to put where, which is pointless. It's not like Chamberlain pulled an M. Malone or a Parish and played a minimal role for a season or two on the Lakers.

Phillip, you idiot, take your Mavs-Nowitzki centric bias out of this. You don't see Spurs fans putting in Ginobili over Robertson for backup SG, but you're putting Nowitzki over Malone and Barkley for backup PF? Unbelievable.

Killakobe81
02-10-2011, 06:33 PM
I like how people are putting team work chemistry and other crap in to a "fantasy hypothetical". If you said pick the best team from all the current NBA players ...yes, you would consider those factors. But since you are combining players of different eras shot distrubution and all that crap matters little. Really teh question is which team is more talented and I still say Lakers/Celts:
1. athelticism: ALL NBA team crushes Lakers/Celts.
2. Inside Defensively I would rather have Laker/Celts.
3. Perimeter defense I would rather have ALL NBA ...
4. Shooting and half court offense Lakers/Celts ..
5. transition all NBA BUT ... Magic running with Kobe Kareem and Russell in their primes would be sweet too ...

Oh and LOL ...at the Kobe proving something. In that setting MJ would be the one trying to prove he was GOAT as much or more to me than Kobe. Wilt, Shaq and MJ would ALL be doing the same TBH ...AS HH said they all have EGOS but those 4 probably the biggest
...Lebron would be honorable mentoion ...

Phillip
02-10-2011, 06:34 PM
LOL fastest runner. Horace was not faster than Jordan.

FAIL

Actually, he was.

Phillip
02-10-2011, 06:36 PM
Phillip, you idiot, take your Mavs-Nowitzki centric bias out of this. You don't see Spurs fans putting in Ginobili over Robertson for backup SG, but you're putting Nowitzki over Malone and Barkley for backup PF? Unbelievable.

All Malone did was live off of wide open shots from shots that Stockton created for him through the pick-and-roll. When it came to creating his own offense, he was nowhere nearly as good as Dirk is.

Barkley was damn good, but for a team like this, I would take Dirk's spacing, skill, and length over Barkley's hustle and athleticism. Neither are/were good defenders though.

Maybe you should stop living off nostalgia and the dirk haterade, you gnsf.

Killakobe81
02-10-2011, 06:38 PM
Not trolling here, but Jordan would feast on Kobe's defense.

Doubt that, but I would give Mj the edge ...and wouldnt matter much Russell and Kareem are patrolling the lane behind ...biggest issue is if you choose Lebron and he is matched with Bird ...

crc21209
02-10-2011, 06:40 PM
This would be an EPIC argument that could go on forever in a room full of Basketball fans. The Lakers and Celtics have had so many hall of fame players it's not even funny. But the NBA would put up a fight as well...with guys like Jordan, Malone, Robinson, Stockton, Duncan, LeBron, Payton, Miller, Pippen and you could go on and on....the argument would never end...:lol

Killakobe81
02-10-2011, 06:45 PM
Kareem/Hakeem would be a damn good battle. The one guy in NBA history would had the insane hops required to potentially block the sky hook, damn that would be awesome.

They did play and Kareem wasnt in his prime and dominated him for the most part ...Hakeem though did have his succes as Kareem aged ...

ChrisRichards
02-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Lakers...
Eh, both players sure didnt build their reputation as one.

TD 21
02-10-2011, 06:56 PM
All Malone did was live off of wide open shots from shots that Stockton created for him through the pick-and-roll. When it came to creating his own offense, he was nowhere nearly as good as Dirk is.

Barkley was damn good, but for a team like this, I would take Dirk's spacing, skill, and length over Barkley's hustle and athleticism. Neither are/were good defenders though.

Maybe you should stop living off nostalgia and the dirk haterade, you gnsf.

Malone was a much better rebounder and defender than Nowitzki. But who needs those things? And it's not like Malone couldn't score. The man was a scoring machine. Like Stoudemire, people assumed "he couldn't do what he did without Stockton", but that's ignorant. The reality is, he never had the chance (not counting his final season). Had he, I'm even more confident than I was in Stoudemire that he'd have been virtually the same player.

So now it's about structuring an actual team and not just flat out picking the best? Which is it?

I'm not living off nostalgia or Nowitzki "haterade", I just find it inexplicable the over the top obsession/respect people have with this one dimensional, career choke artist.

Typical defensive Mavs fan. "What, you don't think Nowitzki is as great as he's made out to be? How could you? You must hate him, that's the only reasonable explanation. What's not to like? He's white and he scores lots of points! Who cares about anything else". You guys have reached Lakers fan level when it comes to defending Nowitzki. At least in their case, they're defending a five time champion and a multi-dimensional player.

Luva, Chamberlain can't reasonably be referred to as a PF. He's a C in the truest sense of the word. You can't just throw out positional designations, unless they're plausible, such as Duncan at C or West at PG.

Killakobe81
02-10-2011, 06:59 PM
Even at 37 years old, Kareem was still a force against two dominant big men in Sampson and Hakeem. Good thing Sampson got hurt... the league was in trouble.

eNGJl2MfyiI

IIRC in the 86 playoffs (1987) Hakeem dominated Kareem though Kareem was a force ...in his rookie year I recall at least two games where Kareem busted his ass ...
Too bad they never met in Kareem's prime ...BUT hakeem was too small to block the sky hook ...And kareem had to deal with bigger and stronger centers and still dominated ...

Kyle Orton
02-10-2011, 07:01 PM

All Malone ever got the chance to do was play off Stockton because the ball was in Stockton's hands 95% of the time. It's pretty hard to create your own shot when the PG only passes you the ball if it gets him an assist. Dirk barely created any offense for himself until Nash left Dallas and Dirk got to play more with the ball in his hand.

cobbler
02-10-2011, 07:15 PM

Stupid question tbh

Shaq would have to play for the NBA team if he wanted to start.

LnGrrrR
02-10-2011, 07:18 PM
No one's mentioning the fact that the Celtics/Lakers are probably alot dirtier/violent/tougher than the All NBA team as well. That would play a factor.

Ashy Larry
02-10-2011, 07:25 PM
The Los Angeles Celtics or the Boston Lakers ?????

Warlord23
02-10-2011, 07:29 PM
If I were building the NBA team,

- I'd play Pippen as the ball handler and match him up vs Magic. Pip has proved he can shut down Magic. If Cousy subs in for Magic, put Oscar Robertson or Stockton and it's completely one-sided
- I'd put Jordan and LeBron vs Kobe and Bird. Too much athelticism and too much defense between MJ and LeBron. Also play Oscar vs West, Dr. J vs Pierce and it's another massive mismatch in favor of the NBA team.
- For the big men, I'd rotate Wilt/Hakeem/Duncan vs Shaq/Kareem/Russell. If the C/L team puts in KG, I'd match up with Dirk.

While the C/L team has big names, the NBA team just has too much versatility, especially on defensive match-ups.

usdane
02-10-2011, 07:35 PM
If I were building the NBA team,

- I'd play Pippen as the ball handler and match him up vs Magic. Pip has proved he can shut down Magic. If Cousy subs in for Magic, put Oscar Robertson or Stockton and it's completely one-sided
- I'd put Jordan and LeBron vs Kobe and Bird. Too much athelticism and too much defense between MJ and LeBron. Also play Oscar vs West, Dr. J vs Pierce and it's another massive mismatch in favor of the NBA team.
- For the big men, I'd rotate Wilt/Hakeem/Duncan vs Shaq/Kareem/Russell. If the C/L team puts in KG, I'd match up with Dirk.

While the C/L team has big names, the NBA team just has too much versatility, especially on defensive match-ups.

You can't use Wilt he was a Laker.

Warlord23
02-10-2011, 07:38 PM
You can't use Wilt he was a Laker.

I'm going by peak years. The LA Wilt wasn't good enough for selection in the C/L team, while the pre-LA Wilt was a monster and would easily make the NBA team. Same reason why prime (LAL) Shaq plays for C/L instead of the Magic Shaq playing for the NBA team.

Warlord23
02-10-2011, 07:42 PM
Think about it. The NBA team is so deep that it doesn't have a place for Moses Malone, who destroyed Kareem head-to-head in the '83 finals.

usdane
02-10-2011, 07:43 PM
I'm going by peak years. The LA Wilt wasn't good enough for selection in the C/L team, while the pre-LA Wilt was a monster and would easily make the NBA team. Same reason why prime (LAL) Shaq plays for C/L instead of the Magic Shaq playing for the NBA team.

Yes. Wilt was really slacking with his 20 and 20 average.

Rule is Laker/celts vs. the rest. Wilt was a Laker.

LnGrrrR
02-10-2011, 07:46 PM
Yes. Wilt was really slacking with his 20 and 20 average.

Rule is Laker/celts vs. the rest. Wilt was a Laker.

Probably more fair that way than the whole "peak/prime" discussion. After all, it's 28 teams vs 2. :lol

usdane
02-10-2011, 07:50 PM
Probably more fair that way than the whole "peak/prime" discussion. After all, it's 28 teams vs 2. :lol

:lol I know and we have what 33:lobt: between us :toast

Greg Oden
02-10-2011, 07:52 PM

That only hinders the Lakers/Celtics team even more, considering they're using post knee surgery KG and not 2004 one of the most versatile players ever KG.

Warlord23
02-10-2011, 07:53 PM
Have it your way. A big man rotation of Moses/Hakeem/Timmy/DRob/Dirk/Karl Malone gives the NBA team too many options. The only advantage that the C/L team would have is Shaq's sheer size; but Shaq has more than his share of weaknesses to be exploited - a mediocre defender and the worst FT shooter. Plus the PG/SG/SF gap is too much.

LnGrrrR
02-10-2011, 07:55 PM
That only hinders the Lakers/Celtics team even more, considering they're using post knee surgery KG and not 2004 one of the most versatile players ever KG.

I think that's fair as well. The players as they were for the Lakers and C's, but said players can't be used for the NBA team.

LnGrrrR
02-10-2011, 07:58 PM
Have it your way. A big man rotation of Moses/Hakeem/Timmy/DRob/Dirk/Karl Malone gives the NBA team too many options. The only advantage that the C/L team would have is Shaq's sheer size; but Shaq has more than his share of weaknesses to be exploited - a mediocre defender and the worst FT shooter. Plus the PG/SG/SF gap is too much.

Really? The gap at PG is too much with Magic?

I can see arguments about SF (Lebron vs Bird for instance) and SG, but I don't think there's a huge gap at PG.

usdane
02-10-2011, 08:01 PM
The NBA would never get into the paint or get any rebounds. so they would have to load up with shooters and pray they would hit.

Warlord23
02-10-2011, 08:04 PM
Really? The gap at PG is too much with Magic?

I can see arguments about SF (Lebron vs Bird for instance) and SG, but I don't think there's a huge gap at PG.

It's about the matchups, really. If the NBA team starts MJ/LBJ/Pippen, that's 3 players 6'6 or above who can handle the rock and play D. Magic's biggest advantage (PG with size) is negated by that lineup, as Pippen proved in the Bulls-Lakers finals.

Magic's unique ability was making his role players play better than the opponent's role players. These two teams have enough talent with or without a great PG setting them up. It will come down to who can get the stops when needed. And the C/L trio (PG/SG/SF) as a whole doesn't match up well with the NBA trio.

Warlord23
02-10-2011, 08:06 PM
The NBA would never get into the paint or get any rebounds. so they would have to load up with shooters and pray they would hit.

That's BS. Shaq is the worst pick-n-roll defender of the bunch and MJ/LeBron are great finishers at the rim. Not to mention prime Hakeem, with his post moves, scores on anybody in basketball history.

usdane
02-10-2011, 08:12 PM
That's BS. Shaq is the worst pick-n-roll defender of the bunch and MJ/LeBron are great finishers at the rim. Not to mention prime Hakeem, with his post moves, scores on anybody in basketball history.

Who said Shaq will be on the floor! With Russell and Kareem starting we will do just fine in that department. Wilt will come in off the bench before Shaq.

Warlord23
02-10-2011, 08:19 PM
Who said Shaq will be on the floor! With Russell and Kareem starting we will do just fine in that department. Wilt will come in off the bench before Shaq.

If Shaq isn't there on the floor, IMO the C/L team loses it's only advantage - sheer size. You think Russell would have shut down any of the great big men of the 80s or 90s? Hakeem/Duncan vs Kareem/Russell would be a mismatch, because the 2 best shot blockers and the 2 best low-post exponents would then be on the NBA team. Kareem's sky hook would still be money, while Russell would be the odd man out on offense.

Phillip
02-11-2011, 01:28 PM
another guy who I think may be deserving to be on the team that hasnt been mentioned (from what I saw) was Rodman. fantastic defender, perhaps the greatest rebounder ever, great athlete, extremely underrated passer... the epitome of a glue guy on the court.

MiamiHeat
02-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Shaq shouldn't be on the Lakers side

since he played most of his career outside of LA, and has reached the Finals with both the Magic and the Heat, and won a ring with the Heat.

Wilt also shouldn't be a Laker.... He would belong to Philly, not LA.

Lakers are more of a "rent a star".... Magic is their real only big time home grown star, or I guess Jerry West is too

MiamiHeat
02-11-2011, 01:43 PM
Lakers/Celtics

PG - Magic, West
SG - Kobe, Pierce
SF - Bird, Elgin Baylor
PF - Gasol, Garnett
C - Kareem, Russell

Team NBA:

PG - Payton, Stockton
SG - Jordan, Robertson
SF - Lebron, Dr. J
PF - Duncan, Karl Malone
C - Hakeem, Robinson

Team NBA would knock the taste out of their moufs!

PG's = Team NBA is better, with the best defensive backcourt ever, and both Payton and Stockton could score the ball as well.

SG - no fucking contest. Team NBA.

SF - this one is real close, but I'd give the edge to Bird/Baylor.

PF - Duncan / Malone would beat some ass.

C - too close to call.

I would say team NBA whoops that ass 109-101.

ffadicted
02-11-2011, 02:26 PM
NBA would roflstomp, cmon guys

Sec24Row7
02-11-2011, 06:14 PM
Magic
Kobe
Bird
Wilt
Kareem

Would never lose a game against any team formed.

Thats like the All infidelity Team... with a side of Weed.

BoricuaCJA
02-11-2011, 06:43 PM
Anybody have the video of the discussion on first take?