PDA

View Full Version : The Phoenix Suns' front office is making strides

Kyle Orton
02-11-2011, 01:57 PM
nb:lol=f:lolcked

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2011/02/10/20110210phoenix-suns-extra-lance-blanks-office.html#comments

Blanks oversees the use of analytics, draft scouting of college and international players and evaluation of NBA players for free agency and trades.

Wow, imagine that! The general manager oversees drafting, free agency, and trades, I had no idea!

Within each branch, Blanks brought in new personnel with a mission to keep the Suns in the playoff mix while transitioning to future championship goals.

:lmao

"If we're competitive in every one of our areas individually, that should show up at some point on the court," Blanks said.
:lmao what the fuck does that even mean?

The impression that the Suns are all about getting younger is not true. Blanks notes most top teams - the Spurs, Lakers, Celtics, Magic and Heat - are driven by veterans and that most of those players arrived through free agency and trades.
Solid take. The Spurs' acquired their big 3 of Duncan, Parker and Ginobili through key free agency moves. The Magic trading for Dwight Howard is the main cause of their success. I'm glad the Suns now have a GM who knows how to build a roster. If he keeps signing guys like Frye and Childress to MLE deals whenever money gets freed up, they'll have the cap room to make a free agency splash like Miami did.

The draft remains vital, especially for a team with two first-round picks in June, but the Suns started scouting and evaluating NBA players more this season to be prepared for trades or to target future acquisitions.
Yay! A scouting team for players already in the NBA! Why give a GM like Steve Kerr an extension when he knew enough about most NBA players and didn't need a scouting team to tell him that a roster of Steve Nash, Grant Hill and a bunch of crappy role players would suck. I'd much prefer an under-qualified GM who needs to hire a scouting team to evaluate trades and free agents!

When evaluating talent in the NBA or for the draft, Blanks said the Suns are balancing between fitting parts into the existing roster and looking long-term. The current system is built for Steve Nash and the evaluation process has not departed from that.
Of course a 37 year old PG who doesn't even have 2 full seasons left with the Suns should play a huge role in dictating what players should be on the team in the future. It would be stupid to find a good young player.

"Steve is a very big part of what we look at in players," Blanks said. "He's such a huge part of our success and he's shown he can still play. I can't see why (trading him) would make sense.
Someone gets it. When you're a lottery team and you might still be able to get a decent return for aging players in trade, why would you do that? Losing Nash 1-2 years from now for nothing and having even less to rebuild around is the best route to take!

"You're either rebuilding or trying to win. We're trying to win and compete in a period of transition."
Get that through your head bitches, WE'RE TRYING TO WIN! Take the below .500 Suns and put them in the rear view mirror, the 25-25 Suns are ready to kick some ass!:elephant

The Suns' analytics operation has changed with outsourcing to a college professor whose marriage of expanded statistics and technology give Blanks another layer of evaluation.
Sarver is a fucking innovator! Only a genius like him would think of hiring a stats geek using numbers to make decisions about basketball. Some stupid owner like Jerry Buss probably tries to fill his front office with guys who have a great eye for talent and know the NBA, but anyone can do that. Analytics and advanced statistics are what makes it so the Suns can take advantage of opportunities like being able to trade for Hedo Turkoglu.

"I want a level of intensity and excellence in everything we touch and do - the way we fold our towels, the way our working environments look," Blanks said. "I believe those things work their way to the court. I also believe it's important to get the best out of what they do and get out of the way."
End on an even higher note, Blanks is shittin' on the NBA. The way he has the towel boys putting in the work on their towel folding technique, it's only a matter of time before Hakeem Warrick morphs into Amare Stoudemire w/o microfracture surgery and Josh Childress goes through a Lebron James metamorphosis.

Advanced analytics and towel folding: the two keys to a championship. NB:lol=f:lolcked

Killakobe81
02-11-2011, 02:24 PM
I dont blame you for being disappointed.

suns have let walk or traded away: Rondo(draft rights), Amare, Joe Johnson

Those are 3 all-stars for the EAST in THIS years game ...

Kyle Orton
02-11-2011, 02:41 PM
I was disappointed, but not anymore. When I read these articles, I simply laugh it off, and I laugh at anyone who still puts money in Sarver's pockets.

Kyle Orton
02-23-2011, 06:34 PM
***UPDATE***

The Suns innovative, forward-thinking front office has discovered yet another way they will be able to draw star players to Phoenix! A new cable contract!

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2011/02/23/20110223phoenix-suns-tv-exclusive-fox-sports-arizona.html

"We will be on a place where every night people will know where to go find our games, and that's a huge advantage," Suns President and CEO Rick Welts said. "The contract also puts us in a better situation to bring future player talent." :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Xylus
02-23-2011, 06:35 PM
Yikes.