PDA

View Full Version : I'm Disillusioned with the poor treatment of Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Koolaid_Man
02-11-2011, 05:16 PM
Laker fans I'm looking to you for some answers...I think it's a hot crock of shit that guys like Avery Johnson, Vinny Del Negro, Byron Scott, Mike Brown, Scott fucking Skiles, Tyron fucking Corbin, John Kuester in Detriot, Erik Speolstra, Monty Williams and many many others lame ass dudes get a chance to coach in this league before CAP...it sickens me and is a gotdam I repeat MUTHAFUCKING SHAME...:bang:ihit

Even the Laker front office has me extremely disappointed on this...I mean Brian fucking Shaw as a replacement for Phil....they got CAP on special assignment...won't even give him a gotdam chance...this shit has got to stop...this is the same fucking reasoning that Kobe has 1 gotdam media award...because haters decide it's cool not to vote for him for BS playa hating reasons...:ihit

I feel bad for CAP...he's done way more for the game than every head coach today combined...even if he fails at it like Magic, Bird, Isaiah, and MJ he should be given that opportunity...this is a major BLACK MARK on Stern's legacy...:ihit:ihit:ihit

dbreiden83080
02-11-2011, 05:20 PM
I don't get it either. I saw him on Center Stage with Michael Kay and he was talking about his rep as a player hurting his desire to coach but was it really that bad? How many people even remember since he has been retired more than 20 years..

Koolaid_Man
02-11-2011, 05:29 PM
I don't get it either. I saw him on Center Stage with Michael Kay and he was talking about his rep as a player hurting his desire to coach but was it really that bad? How many people even remember since he has been retired more than 20 years..

yeah man because he had a somewhat militant attitude as a player many moons ago they treating him like he's Louis Farrakhan or some shit...Isiah Thomas once said that the only reason people love Bird was because he was white but they still gave him a chance...

I know I BS on ST at times but this one really does bother King Kool...

eisfeld
02-11-2011, 05:30 PM
Bizzaro world - quality post by KoolAid :tu

ChumpDumper
02-11-2011, 05:30 PM
Shouldn't have been such a dick in the past.

Koolaid_Man
02-11-2011, 05:33 PM
Shouldn't have been such a dick in the past.

Like Muhammad Ali who got to light the Olympic torch not long ago....go back to reading Spur stats you know nothing of this topic...

TipsytheLurker
02-11-2011, 05:34 PM
That gangly mother fucker would fail so hard as a coach and every owner knows it. That's why will never be afforded the opportunity.

baseline bum
02-11-2011, 05:35 PM
Kareem is a dickhead. He's even an asshole to the students whenever my friends and I have seen him at and around UCLA.

jjktkk
02-11-2011, 05:37 PM
When haven't you been disillusioned? :lol

Koolaid_Man
Kareem is a dickhead. He's even an asshole to the students whenever my friends and I have seen him at and around UCLA.

so is that the reason? ...He's mean to students...this may not be a bad thread to have started after all because if nothing else it will expose those of you who know squat shit...

DMC
Laker fans I'm looking to you for some answers...I think it's a hot crock of shit that guys like Avery Johnson, Vinny Del Negro, Byron Scott, Mike Brown, Scott fucking Skiles, Tyron fucking Corbin, John Kuester in Detriot, Erik Speolstra, Monty Williams and many many others lame ass dudes get a chance to coach in this league before CAP...it sickens me and is a gotdam I repeat MUTHAFUCKING SHAME...:bang:ihit

Even the Laker front office has me extremely disappointed on this...I mean Brian fucking Shaw as a replacement for Phil....they got CAP on special assignment...won't even give him a gotdam chance...this shit has got to stop...this is the same fucking reasoning that Kobe has 1 gotdam media award...because haters decide it's cool not to vote for him for BS playa hating reasons...:ihit

I feel bad for CAP...he's done way more for the game than every head coach today combined...even if he fails at it like Magic, Bird, Isaiah, and MJ he should be given that opportunity...this is a major BLACK MARK on Stern's legacy...:ihit:ihit:ihit

So I see you found the Youtube videos of Kareem, because you sure as hell never saw him play.

baseline bum
02-11-2011, 05:38 PM
so is that the reason? ...He's mean to students...this may not be a bad thread to have started after all because if nothing else it will expose those of you who know squat shit...

No... he's just an angry person period. Have you ever met him? If you do so much as say hi to him you get a sour look back.

DMC
02-11-2011, 05:39 PM

Being a Laker, isn't that par for the course?

Koolaid_Man
02-11-2011, 05:39 PM
So I see you found the Youtube videos of Kareem, because you sure as hell never saw him play.

No I didn't but what's the odds you can answer my question intelligently...

baseline bum
02-11-2011, 05:40 PM

No. Magic, Worthy, Rambis, Scott... these guys are all very friendly.

YoMamaIsCallin
02-11-2011, 05:41 PM
From all accounts Kareem was a very inward focused person and never really reached out to anyone or showed any aptitude towards working with people, and did not give any indication that he cared to. Not a very good personality type to being a coach. It seems his attitude has mellowed a bit especially since he got sick, and he has been employed doing one-on-one work with players like Bynum, but I still can't see him having any success as a coach. Apparently everyone else in the league agrees.

Regarding Larry Bird, come on, the "he's considered a star only because he's white" is so freaking lame. And those who assert this are really doing the reverse racism thing. He's right up there in the top 5 all-time most valuable IMHO. Talk about gamers, he was the ultimate one, until Jordan came along and matched his unbelievable desire to win. And his skills matched perfectly to basketball. You don't have to be able to jump out of the gym to be a great player. And vice-versa, being able to jump out of the gym in no way makes you even a good player.

baseline bum
And I have never met Kobe, but my friends who have say he's a pretty good guy too.

DMC
No I didn't but what's the odds you can answer my question intelligently...
Well, not long ago you were on here pining about how you only cared about winning, and that LA could trade anyone for a better player as long as it meant winning. Now you are lamenting the treatment of one of the greatest players ever to suit up, but him being a coach doesn't equate to winning.

Are you changing your stance on the treatment of players or are you just bored?

jjktkk
Like Muhammad Ali who got to light the Olympic torch not long ago....go back to reading Spur stats you know nothing of this topic...

Lakers management has stayed away from kareem being a hc. You know as much about this topic as anyone else, basically jackshit tbh. :lol

TipsytheLurker
02-11-2011, 05:43 PM
Seems like some owner would have given him a chance by now, if for no other reason than the name recognition. My guess is they're embarrassed that he does those Sketcher commercials.

Cane
He's kinda like Babe Ruth: a great player but a nightmare to work with who got their comeuppance from the league after their playing career. He also just fought off cancer.

DMC

They were all arrogant pricks in their day.

baseline bum

As for Shaq, I remember seeing him act like a huge asshole at Hemisfair Arena one time, but it was back when he was in high school. Though there are people here with some pretty unflattering stories about Shaq.

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-11-2011, 05:44 PM
Any chance he had was DOA after he responded incorrectly to a Jeopardy clue where the correct answer was him.

baseline bum
02-11-2011, 05:45 PM
They were all arrogant pricks in their day.

Have you ever met them? I met all of them in the 80s and they were pretty cool back then. I have run into Magic and Worthy a few times in the last decade, and they were still really nice to their fans.

Killakobe81
02-11-2011, 05:46 PM

What are you doing at such a fine institution of learning? LOL

If you are a Bruin despite our allegiances here you still my brother ...:toast

As for Kareem tough for him to get a shot at this age ...Most coaches his age have been lifers ...

I do think he should of been put on teh staff officially to tutor Bynum ...Shaq could of used his help too would of been even more beastly ...

DMC
02-11-2011, 05:46 PM
Had Kareem been a Spur instead of a Laker, he would probably have a few CotY awards by now and a couple titles under his belt as a coach, like Doc, like Mike Brown, like Avery Johnson, Like Mike D, Like George Karl.

Systems like LA don't develop anyone. They hire.

ChumpDumper
02-11-2011, 05:47 PM
Like Muhammad Ali who got to light the Olympic torch not long ago....go back to reading Spur stats you know nothing of this topic...So Kareem should give himself Parkinson's Disease.

Obstructed_View
02-11-2011, 05:50 PM
Kareem must have made a lot of enemies because he doesn't get any respect as a great player either. He's kind of an afterthought when people talk about great centers in the league, and he was probably the greatest. Wasn't he a coach in the D league or the CBA a few years ago? Does he still have problems getting along with people?

ChumpDumper
02-11-2011, 05:52 PM
He coached a USBL spring league team to a championship, and then I guess he thought he had done enough.

He's a good coach, but that's not everything that makes a good NBA head coach, or even an employed one.

baseline bum
02-11-2011, 05:55 PM
What are you doing at such a fine institution of learning? LOL

If you are a Bruin despite our allegiances here you still my brother ...:toast

As for Kareem tough for him to get a shot at this age ...Most coaches his age have been lifers ...

I do think he should of been put on teh staff officially to tutor Bynum ...Shaq could of used his help too would of been even more beastly ...

We cool even though you wear the wrong colors for the pro game. :toast

baseline bum
02-11-2011, 05:57 PM
Kareem must have made a lot of enemies because he doesn't get any respect as a great player either. He's kind of an afterthought when people talk about great centers in the league, and he was probably the greatest. Wasn't he a coach in the D league or the CBA a few years ago? Does he still have problems getting along with people?

Way back in the day didn't Kareem go behind Magic's back to the ownership to complain about how he threw passes too hard? I remember the ownership's response was something along the lines of just catch the damn ball.

Obstructed_View
02-11-2011, 06:42 PM
Way back in the day didn't Kareem go behind Magic's back to the ownership to complain about how he threw passes too hard? I remember the ownership's response was something along the lines of just catch the damn ball.

I never heard that before, but the man must really be insufferable for so many people to hold a grudge for such a long time.

TheManFromAcme
02-11-2011, 07:40 PM
KAJ is wired a whole different way than most. He's a hermit of sorts and has always projected that image of being a "prick" for lack of a better word but folks need to realize that Kareem is a highly intellectual fellow who just doesn't follow must agendas. I remember flying into S.A.for the all-star game and waiting in line for about 4 hours at a Sports Authority Store (?) to have him sign my LAKER t-shirt and I specifically remember telling him, "Honor meeting you Mr. Jabbar, I've loved your game ever since.....(can't remember the exact dialogue) and he bust's out with a "cool, who's behind you?".

It sucked, but I got it.

True story.

In any event, Kool-aid is right. Kareem knows the game.....and well. Think about it; How can you go wrong playing under Wooden and Riles?

Give the man a chance. It's an outrage he hasn't coached a NBA team yet.

DMC
02-11-2011, 07:42 PM
MJ knows the game, shitty coach, just like Bird and Magic.

dunkman
02-11-2011, 07:53 PM
Bird is above average as coach.

DMC
02-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Bird is above average as coach.
I don't think so. Who's average?

Koolaid_Man
02-11-2011, 08:59 PM
Well, not long ago you were on here pining about how you only cared about winning, and that LA could trade anyone for a better player as long as it meant winning. Now you are lamenting the treatment of one of the greatest players ever to suit up, but him being a coach doesn't equate to winning.

Are you changing your stance on the treatment of players or are you just bored?

DMC I know you're enamored with all things Koolaid...and we all know you'd count the hair on my big black hairy balls if I let you but I asked a simple question and because you lack the intellect to answer honestly you try to turn it into another Koolaid man says controversy...but thanks I see you're a pseudo intellectual masquerading as some sort of authority figure on worldly wisdom...I'm convinced now you're nothing but a toothless old fool from the old black guard...you a Jesse Jackson type nigga from the rainbow coalition...nothing more nothing less... :lol

dunkman
02-11-2011, 09:49 PM
I don't think so. Who's average?

Bird was COY, as coach has winning % in regular season and playoffs, has made deep playoffs runs, was in the finals once.

Average coaches win few playoffs series or don't even make the playoffs.

lefty
02-11-2011, 10:47 PM
Kareem is an asshole

Maybe that's why they don't want him to coach

Just teach Bynum a thing or two about being a decent center in the NBA and GTFO

DMC
02-11-2011, 11:00 PM
DMC I know you're enamored with all things Koolaid...and we all know you'd count the hair on my big black hairy balls if I let you but I asked a simple question and because you lack the intellect to answer honestly you try to turn it into another Koolaid man says controversy...but thanks I see you're a pseudo intellectual masquerading as some sort of authority figure on worldly wisdom...I'm convinced now you're nothing but a toothless old fool from the old black guard...you a Jesse Jackson type nigga from the rainbow coalition...nothing more nothing less... :lol
Two things for certain:

1. Kareem does not deserve to coach. He wouldn't be any good at it.

2. You had an avatar of a young white kid and changed it pronto when I pointed it out to you.

DMC
02-11-2011, 11:02 PM
Bird was COY, as coach has winning % in regular season and playoffs, has made deep playoffs runs, was in the finals once.

Average coaches win few playoffs series or don't even make the playoffs.

So was Avery Johnson and Mike Brown.

dunkman
02-12-2011, 12:06 AM
So was Avery Johnson and Mike Brown.

First, both are legit NBA coaches.

2 ECF, 1 Finals in the 3 seasons Bird coached the Pacers is very solid. Bird did it without MVP players like Nowitzki or LeBron, his best player was an 3-rd team all-nba. Never first round exits like Avery Johnson. Never disappointed like Brown.

lefty
02-12-2011, 12:59 AM

2 ECF, 1 Finals in the 3 seasons Bird coached the Pacers is very solid. Bird did it without MVP players like Nowitzki or LeBron, his best player was an 3-rd team all-nba. Never first round exits like Avery Johnson. Never disappointed like Brown.
AJ is a legit NBA coach

Brown is not, in Cleveland, he was an assistant whose only task was to call timeouts as part of his training

cobbler
02-12-2011, 02:42 AM
From all accounts Kareem was a very inward focused person and never really reached out to anyone or showed any aptitude towards working with people, and did not give any indication that he cared to. Not a very good personality type to being a coach. It seems his attitude has mellowed a bit especially since he got sick, and he has been employed doing one-on-one work with players like Bynum, but I still can't see him having any success as a coach. Apparently everyone else in the league agrees.

This is 100% spot on. Kareem went through a lot as a youth dealing with the fame, race relations going on at the time, and expectations that come from such a high profile athlete. He turned introvert and was not often cooperative with the media. I did a infomercial with him in the 80's and I can tell you first hand... he is all the diva that others say. Could have been a bad day...who knows... but he was obnoxious to everyone.

jjktkk
02-12-2011, 03:51 AM
This is 100% spot on. Kareem went through a lot as a youth dealing with the fame, race relations going on at the time, and expectations that come from such a high profile athlete. He turned introvert and was not often cooperative with the media. I did a infomercial with him in the 80's and I can tell you first hand... he is all the diva that others say. Could have been a bad day...who knows... but he was obnoxious to everyone.

Was goona post earlier, but Kareem never really came off as a communicator with people. Guy always seem aloofed and standoffish in interviews. It would seem Kareem would have issues with that aspect in coaching.

LnGrrrR
02-12-2011, 11:36 AM
No... he's just an angry person period. Have you ever met him? If you do so much as say hi to him you get a sour look back.

This thread reminds me of one of my old coworkers, who met Rosa Parks and said she was a bitch. :lol

Pelicans78
02-12-2011, 11:49 AM
I grew up rooting for Kareem and Magic and think they would do ok as head coaches especially with good players.

Bird did an excellent job with the Pacers. Really maximized their talent.

Not sure why so many retreads like Byron Scott, PJ Carlismo, etc get chances. Not sure if Kareem deserves a chance. Can't be worse than some of the bums out there.

DMC
02-12-2011, 12:00 PM

But are they average coaches?

DMC
02-12-2011, 12:00 PM
I grew up rooting for Kareem and Magic and think they would do ok as head coaches especially with good players.

Bird did an excellent job with the Pacers. Really maximized their talent.

Not sure why so many retreads like Byron Scott, PJ Carlismo, etc get chances. Not sure if Kareem deserves a chance. Can't be worse than some of the bums out there.
Magic coached the Lakers, failed.

Pelicans78
02-12-2011, 12:10 PM
Magic coached the Lakers, failed.

That was a bad Lakers team anyway.

DMC
02-12-2011, 12:11 PM
That was a bad Lakers team anyway.
LOL

:nope

Anyone can coach a championship team. Barry Switzer won a ring with the Cowboys after Jimmy Johnson built the team and won already.

I suppose great coaches can only coach super talented teams.

Spur_Fanatic
02-12-2011, 12:32 PM

Magic is cool. Rambis is k. Dunno the rest.

Kareem is a douche. To those that say "Ah, how could you" shit arguments like Koolaid, who doesn't even know the player, shut the fuck up, because you have no idea. Not only a known douche, but the guy is no coaching material...

I totally want the Lakers to hire him as a coach, please do so. :downspin:

lefty
02-12-2011, 12:35 PM
Magic is cool. Rambis is k. Dunno the rest.

Kareem is a douche. To those that say "Ah, how could you" shit arguments like Koolaid, who doesn't even know the player, shut the fuck up, because you have no idea. Not only a known douche, but the guy is no coaching material...

I totally want the Lakers to hire him as a coach, please do so. :downspin:

Magic is an asshole too

Spur_Fanatic
02-12-2011, 12:40 PM
Nah, I met him a few times over the years. Cool guy (or I was just lucky, lol).
I just wanted a handshake and a few words, so maybe that's why.

Pelicans78
02-12-2011, 12:40 PM
LOL

:nope

Anyone can coach a championship team. Barry Switzer won a ring with the Cowboys after Jimmy Johnson built the team and won already.

I suppose great coaches can only coach super talented teams.

In the NBA, pretty much.

DMC
02-12-2011, 12:47 PM
In the NBA, pretty much.
Same with the NBA.

Case in point, Avery Johnson

Avery took over a team than Don Nelson built. They didn't win it all, but did well enough to get Avery COY.

Good coaches make good in game adjustments. You could probably name all the good coaches on one hand. The rest just make subs when the time comes, and call timeouts after the opponent goes on a run. You or I could do that.

ChuckD
02-12-2011, 12:55 PM

Lew is strictly bitch-made. His problem is that he wanted to go straight into a HC position, and wasn't quiet about it, either. Every one of those other outstanding coaches paid their dues with time on the end of the bench. Even the Lakers don't want to give him that opportunity. THAT should tell you something.

His other problem is that The Butthurt is strong in him. That was brought back to my attention by the graciousness of Reggie Miller when Ray Vajayjay broke his record. He was genuinely happy and thought Ray was a worthy successor. Contrast that with Lew's response when Horry broke his playoff games played record in 2008: "They have more playoff games per season now". WTF? Horry was HUGE in Laker lore, and Lew took a giant shit on him. That butthurt attitude is what is going to keep him from even sniffing an NBA coaching job of any stripe, and he'll never have a clue or a realization of what the problem is. He's too self absorbed.

DMC
02-12-2011, 12:59 PM
Lew is strictly bitch-made. His problem is that he wanted to go straight into a HC position, and wasn't quiet about it, either. Every one of those other outstanding coaches paid their dues with time on the end of the bench. Even the Lakers don't want to give him that opportunity. THAT should tell you something.

His other problem is that The Butthurt is strong in him. That was brought back to my attention by the graciousness of Reggie Miller when Ray Vajayjay broke his record. He was genuinely happy and thought Ray was a worthy successor. Contrast that with Lew's response when Horry broke his playoff games played record in 2008: "They have more playoff games per season now". WTF? Horry was HUGE in Laker lore, and Lew took a giant shit on him. That butthurt attitude is what is going to keep him from even sniffing an NBA coaching job of any stripe, and he'll never have a clue or a realization of what the problem is. He's too self absorbed.

I cannot tell if you were talking about Alcindor or the OP.

lefty
02-12-2011, 01:06 PM

OK then :D

ChuckD
02-12-2011, 01:08 PM
I cannot tell if you were talking about Alcindor or the OP.

It's applicable to both.

ChuckD
02-12-2011, 01:19 PM
I just think it's funny that as much as the league promotes/pimps out the Lakers, two of the three players who are essentially black-balled from NBA coaching jobs wore the Piss and Purple:

Lew
Kermit "KO" Washington
Papa Barry

dunkman
02-12-2011, 01:30 PM
But are they average coaches?

The Mavs took healthy Spurs out in 2006, Avery improved the defense of the Mavs significantly. They had some refs help, but Nelson simply had no shot against the Spurs. No shame in losing to Riley in the finals, he's top 5 all time at worst.

Brown is solid too, there aren't many that are better. They had no chances against the Spurs in 2007. The Celtics had better balanced roster after that. The Cavs management messed the things with Boozer, they didn't had enough talent around LeBron.

They are average at least.

Bird achieved more than both with less talent. He also did more than Larry Brown and Carlisli with the Pacers.

DMC
02-12-2011, 02:27 PM
So if the two are average, then who's above average and why would Bird be above AJ or Brown?

Obstructed_View
02-13-2011, 02:26 AM
The Mavs took healthy Spurs out in 2006, Avery improved the defense of the Mavs significantly. They had some refs help, but Nelson simply had no shot against the Spurs. No shame in losing to Riley in the finals, he's top 5 all time at worst.

Brown is solid too, there aren't many that are better. They had no chances against the Spurs in 2007. The Celtics had better balanced roster after that. The Cavs management messed the things with Boozer, they didn't had enough talent around LeBron.

They are average at least.

Bird achieved more than both with less talent. He also did more than Larry Brown and Carlisli with the Pacers.

The Mavs took out a healthy Spurs team in 2006 that refused to play their centers. Don Nelson might be the only coach in history that would have matched small with small and lost, so the Mavs were lucky. Pop choked that series away.

baseline bum
02-13-2011, 03:05 AM

Magic is as cool as they come. I spent 15 minutes talking to him as a kid one time when I saw the Lakers team at the airport. I just wanted to get a picture, but he invited me to come sit with him and hang out. I told him I was a Spurs fan but always went for LA when they played Boston, and that I saw him hit a halfcourt shot on CBS the week before. It was funny because Kareem got a really sour look on his face like I was coming to bother him, but I just wanted to see Magic. :lol

I met him a couple of times at UCLA too, as he is (or at least was) a regular at Pauley Pavilion for Saturday afternoon games. He's about as outgoing a star as you'll ever meet.

usdane
02-13-2011, 03:33 AM
Magic is as cool as they come. I spent 15 minutes talking to him as a kid one time when I saw the Lakers team at the airport. I just wanted to get a picture, but he invited me to come sit with him and hang out. I told him I was a Spurs fan but always went for LA when they played Boston, and that I saw him hit a halfcourt shot on CBS the week before. It was funny because Kareem got a really sour look on his face like I was coming to bother him, but I just wanted to see Magic. :lol

I met him a couple of times at UCLA too, as he is (or at least was) a regular at Pauley Pavilion for Saturday afternoon games. He's about as outgoing a star as you'll ever meet.

Nice story. I remember how he sat down with the Cribs and Bloods gangs when he was building his theaters in the projects. Nobody ever messed with his properties.

Magic is such a positive person that you can't help but like him.