PDA

View Full Version : Will history forget the Duncan-era Spurs?

Wilford Brimley
02-12-2011, 02:21 PM
As a fellow Spurs fan I fear this inevitable travesty.

The Spurs are one of only a handful of franchises to be competitive throughout their history, but this past decade was our most franchise-defining. 3 titles (and another in 1999), with a great coach and the best PF to ever play the game.:toast

Still though, the decade was bookended by Laker dominance and the total tally was 5 rings and 7 finals appearances for them. We won 4, but NEVER lost.
It also hurts that they've owned us in the playoffs during our concurrent runs of dominance.

The Lakers also overshadow us because of the flashy stars they've had during their run (Snaq and Kobme).

IMO, winning a title this year is essential to validating our franchise's legacy, because if the Lakers beat us again, then history will forget our boys. :(

Blackjack
02-12-2011, 05:06 PM
Nope. No need to worry that stellar mustache of yours, Wilford.

Your passion and love for your Spurs is commendable, though, Wilford.

Wilford loves him some Spurs. :tu

jjktkk
02-12-2011, 05:43 PM
Nope. No need to worry that stellar mustache of yours, Wilford.

Your passion and love for your Spurs is commendable, though, Wilford.

Wilford loves him some Spurs. :tu

I'm confused. I thought Wilford loved the Lakers.

Blackjack
02-12-2011, 06:15 PM
I'm confused. I thought Wilford loved the Lakers.

It's the Diabeetus.

Russ
02-12-2011, 06:22 PM
Actually, the brilliant but unloved seem to fare quite well in history.

It is in the moment that they seem to suffer.

Bartleby
02-12-2011, 06:29 PM
We just have to get Tim, Tony, and Manu to those cocoons resting at the bottom of the ocean.

Solid D
02-12-2011, 06:31 PM
No. Only people forget...but even people over time will not forget these Spurs any more than they would forget the Brady-led Patriots.

dbreiden83080
02-12-2011, 07:32 PM
History goes beyond what 14 year olds see on Sportscenter..

Capt Bringdown
02-12-2011, 09:28 PM
In the future NBA games will be captured with holographic imaging - book it!

Harry Callahan
02-12-2011, 09:44 PM
Wilford needs to worry about his next stool being successfully passed, not the Spurs place in NBA history.

DMC
02-12-2011, 10:28 PM
As a fellow Spurs fan I fear this inevitable travesty.

The Spurs are one of only a handful of franchises to be competitive throughout their history, but this past decade was our most franchise-defining. 3 titles (and another in 1999), with a great coach and the best PF to ever play the game.:toast

Still though, the decade was bookended by Laker dominance and the total tally was 5 rings and 7 finals appearances for them. We won 4, but NEVER lost.
It also hurts that they've owned us in the playoffs during our concurrent runs of dominance.

The Lakers also overshadow us because of the flashy stars they've had during their run (Snaq and Kobme).

IMO, winning a title this year is essential to validating our franchise's legacy, because if the Lakers beat us again, then history will forget our boys. :(

Cool story. You never know.

Jimcs50
02-13-2011, 10:51 AM
Spurs fans wont forget, that is all that I give a care about.

I mean who else besides true Spurs fans remember our game 7 with the Bullets, where we came within an eyelash of probably winning it all in 79.

Or 10 years later when one bad pass from Strickland in another game 7 prob cost us our first champ

So, after all those near misses anf heart breaks, I will never forget our 4 championships.

DxB
02-13-2011, 01:55 PM
Actually, the brilliant but unloved seem to fare quite well in history.

It is in the moment that they seem to suffer.

word

ATXSPUR
02-13-2011, 02:20 PM
Spurs will probably get more love after the big 3 are all retired. The same morons who hate us now will be going on and on about how nobody does it "the right way" anymore and blah blah blah.

barbacoataco
02-13-2011, 02:43 PM
History will remember that a small market team that the media hated and refused to recognize managed to win 4 championships( so far.)

G-Nob
02-13-2011, 02:48 PM
They'll be reminded every time they look at the statues of the big 3 & Pop in the hall of fame.