PDA

View Full Version : Deep Throat Revealed?

dcole50
05-31-2005, 01:41 PM
Report: Ex- FBI official says he was 'Deep Throat' (http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/05/31/deep.throat.ap/index.html)

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/POLITICS/05/31/deep.throat.ap/story.felt.jpg

NEW YORK (AP) -- A former FBI official says he was the source called "Deep Throat" who leaked secrets about President Nixon's Watergate coverup to The Washington Post, Vanity Fair reported Tuesday.

W. Mark Felt, 91, who was second-in-command at the FBI in the early 1970s, kept the secret even from his family until 2002, when he confided to a friend that he had been Washington Post reporter Bob Woodward's source, the magazine said.

"I'm the guy they used to call Deep Throat," he told lawyer John D. O'Connor, the author of the Vanity Fair article, the magazine said in a press release.

Felt was initially adamant about remaining silent on the subject, thinking disclosures about his past somehow dishonorable.

"I don't think (being Deep Throat) was anything to be proud of," Felt indicated to his son, Mark Jr., at one point, according to the article. "You (should) not leak information to anyone."

Felt is a retiree living in Santa Rosa, Calif., with his daughter, Joan, the magazine said. He could not immediately be reached for comment by The Associated Press.

The Washington Post had no immediate comment.

Felt is one of a number of people who have been named over the years as the source whose disclosures helped bring down the Nixon presidency. Others include Assistant Attorney General Henry Peterson, deputy White House counsel Fred Fielding, and even ABC newswoman Diane Sawyer, who then worked in the White House press office.

In 1999, Felt denied he was the man.

"I would have done better," Felt told The Hartford Courant. "I would have been more effective. Deep Throat didn't exactly bring the White House crashing down, did he?"

Nbadan
05-31-2005, 05:57 PM
Woodward, Bernstein and Bradlee Reveal Former FBI Official as Secret Watergate Source
By William Branigin and David Von Drehle
Washington Post Staff Writers
Tuesday, May 31, 2005; 6:33 PM

The Washington Post today confirmed that W. Mark Felt, a former number-two official at the FBI, was "Deep Throat," the secretive source who provided information that helped unravel the Watergate scandal in the early 1970s and contributed to the resignation of president Richard M. Nixon.

The confirmation came from Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein, the two Washington Post reporters who broke the Watergate story, and their former top editor, Benjamin C. Bradlee. The three spoke after Felt's family and Vanity Fair magazine identified the 91-year-old Felt, now a retiree in California, as the long-anonymous source who provided crucial guidance for some of the newspaper's groundbreaking Watergate stories.

W. Mark Felt appears on CBS' "Face The Nation" on Aug.30, 1976. The former FBI official was the storied Washington Post source known as "Deep Throat." (AP)

Revisiting Watergate

Watergate Chronology Key events from the 1968 election to President Nixon's resignation in 1974.
Sights & Sounds The best photos from The Washington Post and other photographers of the period, audio excerpts from the Nixon tapes and TV coverage from the era.
Complete 30th Anniversary Special Report

Free E-mail Newsletters
Daily Politics News & Analysis
See a Sample | Sign Up Now
Federal Insider
Breaking News Alerts

The Vanity Fair story said Felt had admitted his "historic, anonymous role" following years of denial.

In a statement today, Woodward and Bernstein said, "W. Mark Felt was 'Deep Throat' and helped us immeasurably in our Watergate coverage. However, as the record shows, many other sources and officials assisted us and other reporters for the hundreds of stories that were written in The Washington Post about Watergate."

Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/31/AR2005053100655.html?referrer=email)

The real story behind the Deep Throat 'revelation' is Woodward and his own military intelligence background. Watergate would NEVER had happened if (CIA employee) Alexander Butterfield hadn't disclosed the existence of the taping system and that the military had wanted Nixon out of office with the SALT talks etc, and Adm. Moorer's spying on Nixon:

Watergate.com (http://www.watergate.com/stories/obit.asp)

exstatic
05-31-2005, 07:19 PM
An American hero. He brought down a corrupt, election stealing GOP administration.

Nbadan
05-31-2005, 10:28 PM
An American hero. He brought down a corrupt, election stealing GOP administration.

Major bummer to the group that would eventually emerge as the NeoCons too, but it didn't take them long to get back the executive branch, and they never want to let go again.

The Ressurrected One
06-01-2005, 11:34 AM
Felt is a coward now cashing in on his obscene violation of the public trust. After all, the FBI could probably have done to any president (since FDR) what Felt did to Nixon...they've all had transgressions that, had they been exposed during their tenures, could have made their continued service in office untenable.

He would have only been a hero if he'd resigned his post and publicly renounced what the White House was doing to the Justice Department...much like that Schiavo lady from the FAA.

Nah, I don't think much of this guy. I don't think much of Nixon's coverup either...it's pretty small potatoes compared to some of the crap Clinton pulled in office.

ChumpDumper
06-01-2005, 11:48 AM
lol

Telling the CIA to stifle an FBI investigation is small potatoes?

The apologists are coming out of the woodwork now -- they're just pissed their side got caught.

Bandit2981
06-01-2005, 12:19 PM
Felt is a coward now cashing in on his obscene violation of the public trust.
Um, so public trust was violated because Felt busted Nixon doing something illegal? Sounds like a patriot to me, putting country before party.

He would have only been a hero if he'd resigned his post and publicly renounced what the White House was doing to the Justice Department...much like that Schiavo lady from the FAA.
Amazing, I heard Rush saying the exact same thing today! How could that be?

it's pretty small potatoes compared to some of the crap Clinton pulled in office.
Yes, lying about a blowjob is 100 times worse than trying to tap democratic phone lines :lol

The Ressurrected One
06-01-2005, 12:59 PM
Um, so public trust was violated because Felt busted Nixon doing something illegal? Sounds like a patriot to me, putting country before party.
So, you want the holder's of secrets to be susceptible to these types of lapses? Fine.

Amazing, I heard Rush saying the exact same thing today! How could that be?
Amazing! Maybe we arrived at that conclusion independently or maybe we heard it echoed by someone else. Could be he heard it from me...but, I doubt that. However, I can assure you I didn't get it from him. I don't listen to that bombastic blowhard.

Yes, lying about a blowjob is 100 times worse than trying to tap democratic phone lines :lol
Lying under oath in order to deny a plaintiff due process is much worse than lying about botched political chicanery. Yep. Don't get me wrong, Nixon deserved to be impeached (had he not resigned) for what he did but, what he did was all in the realm of politics -- what Clinton did affected ordinary citizens, directly and negatively.

Plus, I happen to believe Clinton raped Juanita Brodderick. Also worse than anything Nixon did. I also believe there were a whole host of other criminal offenses committed by the Clintons, dating back to his time as Arkansas AG, that make him a much more unsavory and dispicable character than Richard Nixon would ever be.

Hell, Just in the Filegate story alone, when nobody in the Clinton administration would 'fess up to who had hired Craig Livingstone -- let alone knowing him -- the Clinton administration and probably Clinton himself engaged in activities equal to those which eventually brought Nixon down.

The Ressurrected One
06-01-2005, 01:13 PM
lol

Telling the CIA to stifle an FBI investigation is small potatoes?

The apologists are coming out of the woodwork now -- they're just pissed their side got caught.
Yeah, and Janet Reno never cut any of Clinton's bait for him? Please...

Besides, I've already said Nixon needed to be booted from office for what he did. But, we're speaking of Felt's behavior.

Nixon would have succumbed to his own stupidity over the matter anyway...Felt didn't hasten anything. He just sold out the reputation of the FBI.

Dre_7
06-01-2005, 01:28 PM
My conclusion, NBADan is an extreme liberal, The Ressurrected One is an extreme conservative, and niether of them will EVER change their views!!!

Guys I hate to say it, both of you are wrong!! Niether party is always right or always wrong. To be on just one side of politics is just stupid! Ive voted for both parties at different times! Heck, this past election I voted for both parties. I dont think its possible to be completely conservitive or liberal. Like Chris Rock said, anyone that is only conservitve or only liberal are freakin idiots!!!!!!

ChumpDumper
06-01-2005, 01:49 PM
But, we're speaking of Felt's behavior.

Nixon would have succumbed to his own stupidity over the matter anyway...Felt didn't hasten anything. He just sold out the reputation of the FBI.Had an FBI agent leaked something about Clinton that brought him down, you'd be calling him a patriot and quoting from his Fox News show in this forum and you know it.

Jimcs50
06-01-2005, 01:49 PM
Felt had no way of knowing that all of it started at the top(Nixon). Felt was doing his job as a patriot, he saw injustice and civil liberties being tramped upon and he took action. Great man.

Had the administration fessed up when the story broke, there would have been a few guys getting fired and Nixon would have been fine. The coverup is what brought Nixon down, not Felt.

Dre_7
06-01-2005, 01:58 PM
The coverup is what brought Nixon down, not Felt.

Exactly!

The Ressurrected One
06-01-2005, 03:57 PM
Had an FBI agent leaked something about Clinton that brought him down, you'd be calling him a patriot and quoting from his Fox News show in this forum and you know it.
So, you're admitting there was something to be leaked?

The Ressurrected One
06-01-2005, 04:10 PM
Felt had no way of knowing that all of it started at the top(Nixon). Felt was doing his job as a patriot, he saw injustice and civil liberties being tramped upon and he took action. Great man.
Wow! That's pretty high praise for the man that was J. Edgar Hoover's heir apparent until Nixon passed him over for an outsider.

Raise your hand if you were aware Felt was a convicted felon pardoned by Ronald Reagan.

Had the administration fessed up when the story broke, there would have been a few guys getting fired and Nixon would have been fine. The coverup is what brought Nixon down, not Felt.
Agreed. Felt traded his integrity for nothing. But, ironically, Felt's betrayal may have set the stage for the Republicans rise over the past couple of decades. In fact, had he know what was to happen to him in just 6 short years, he might not ever have become a cheesy, anonymous, "Deep Throat."

Consider what has happened in the years since Watergate. The Democratic Party suffered a series of electoral defeats and today is arguably in its weakest position since before the New Deal. During the same period, the press has seen a steady erosion in its public esteem.

This is in part because both the Democrats and the press learned the "lessons of Watergate" too well. The press is constantly seeking the next scandal, and the Democrats and the liberal left have taken to portraying policy disagreements as criminal coverups--the impulse behind both the Iran-contra scandal and the Valerie Plame scandal. As if to underscore the futility of it all, yesterday, hours before the Felt revelation, the Boston Globe published an op-ed by Ralph Nader and some other guy arguing that President Bush should be impeached for liberating Iraq.

Felt himself turns out to have been both a hero of an earlier war on terrorism and a victim of the criminalization of policy differences. During the Carter administration, Felt, who by then had left the FBI, was indicted on charges of having authorized illegal F.B.I. break-ins earlier in the decade, in which agents without warrants entered the residences of associates and family members of suspected bombers believed to be involved with the Weather Underground. He was convicted in 1980. Then, in a stroke of good fortune while his case was on appeal, Ronald Reagan was elected president. On April 15, 1981, Reagan granted Felt a full pardon.

Little wonder, then, that Felt, who had been a registered Democrat, turned Republican during the Reagan years. In this respect he was far from alone--and by playing some role in the resignation of a Republican president, he might have helped set the stage for a Republican ascendancy.

But, he was still a little man with grudge.

Bandit2981
06-01-2005, 04:10 PM
So, you're admitting there was something to be leaked?
you have horrible reading comprehension skills

The Ressurrected One
06-01-2005, 04:13 PM
Nah, I'm just being antagonistic.

ChumpDumper
06-01-2005, 04:15 PM
So, you're admitting there was something to be leaked?Nope. And my point stands.

Bandit2981
06-01-2005, 04:15 PM
i see. antagonize away then :lol

The Ressurrected One
06-01-2005, 04:20 PM
It's not just me...

Ex-Prosecutors: 'Deep Throat' Broke Rules (http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050601/D8AF1OO80.html)

What a sick little man is he

Felt's decision to keep quiet, however, made possible another moment that linked him to Nixon, Barrett said. When Felt was on trial for authorizing illegal break-ins during the 1970s at homes of people associated with the radical Weather Underground, Nixon testified on his behalf.

And after Reagan pardoned Felt in 1981, he received a bottle of champagne and this brief note from the disgraced former president: "Justice ultimately prevails."

ChumpDumper
06-01-2005, 04:24 PM
Felt's decision to keep quiet, however, made possible another moment that linked him to Nixon, Barrett said. When Felt was on trial for authorizing illegal break-ins during the 1970s at homes of people associated with the radical Weather Underground, Nixon testified on his behalf.

And after Reagan pardoned Felt in 1981, he received a bottle of champagne and this brief note from the disgraced former president: "Justice ultimately prevails."lol, it certainly does....

samikeyp
06-01-2005, 04:31 PM
Plus, I happen to believe Clinton raped Juanita Brodderick.

Just because you believe it....doesn't mean it happened.

The Ressurrected One
06-01-2005, 04:32 PM
Just because you believe it....doesn't mean it happened.
True, but I'm not the only one. And, just because he wasn't charged with the crime doesn't mean he didn't do it.

I can agree to disagree with you. No heartburn here.

dcole50
06-01-2005, 08:59 PM
Felt is a coward

wow

The Ressurrected One
06-01-2005, 09:36 PM
wow
morally reprehensible as well...

samikeyp
06-01-2005, 11:28 PM
I can agree to disagree with you. No heartburn here.

Nor here.

Nbadan
06-02-2005, 03:11 AM
Agreed. Felt traded his integrity for nothing. But, ironically, Felt's betrayal may have set the stage for the Republicans rise over the past couple of decades. In fact, had he know what was to happen to him in just 6 short years, he might not ever have become a cheesy, anonymous, "Deep Throat."

Yoni is right, It certainly set the stage. The born-again NeoCons learned that if they were going to get away with their plans to control the flow of oil, they were first going to have to find a way to control the corporate media.

Nbadan
06-02-2005, 03:21 AM
This is in part because both the Democrats and the press learned the "lessons of Watergate" too well. The press is constantly seeking the next scandal, and the Democrats and the liberal left have taken to portraying policy disagreements as criminal coverups--the impulse behind both the Iran-contra scandal and the Valerie Plame scandal. As if to underscore the futility of it all, yesterday, hours before the Felt revelation, the Boston Globe published an op-ed by Ralph Nader and some other guy arguing that President Bush should be impeached for liberating Iraq.

The corporate media is a fucken mess, and we can thank the Oligarchies that control CNN/FOX/MSNBC/CBS/ABC for that. It's not all Dan Rathers fault. Somewhere along the way the media forgot that it had a responsibility to inform it's readers instead of always worrying how its reporting may be construed by the right-wing attack machine.

Do you want to know how bad the problems with the media have become? With the Downing Street memos we now have almost definite proof that members of this administration may have intentionally misled a nation into war. Excuse me if I am wrong, but to me It doesn't get more morally wrong or criminal than that, and so far our corporate media for the most part has chosen to ignore it.

dcole50
06-02-2005, 05:55 AM
morally reprehensible as well...
how dare he expose the illegal actions of a corrupt administration. very immoral indeed ...

ChumpDumper
06-02-2005, 08:34 AM
When the very administration you work for is trying to use the CIA to stifle your investigation, all bets are off. I can't believe the apologists are soft-pedaling the actions of the Nixon administration. Felt is no angel, but pretending he's the real bad guy somehow worse than the actual Watergate criminals is laughable.

TNT21
06-02-2005, 05:16 PM
Oh, I know deepthroat, and that's not her!!

E20
06-02-2005, 09:51 PM
Felt busted a lame-o President and wants to bask in it's glory before he dies. Big whoop. Let the old man rejoice.

Useruser666
06-03-2005, 08:24 AM
:lol @ this thread!

Larry Dallas
06-03-2005, 05:55 PM
Oh, I know deepthroat, and that's not her!!

I take it you never met Mrs. Ferley :lmao

AFE7FATMAN
06-04-2005, 05:16 AM
I'll try to keep it simple because it is not.

Felt was pissed he was passed over for the head of the FBI when Hoover died, and because the gang at the white house was stepping into FBI terriority, i.e. such as wire tapping MLK at the request of JFK, etc

When all of this happend years ago I thought Felt was a HERO he wasn't and isn't.

Felt was convicted for authorizing break- ins into the Weather underground during the Vietnam Era. Nixon, as a private citizen testified for Felt in 79 or 80. Felt was authorizing these break-ins at the same time he was feeding Berstein info about the plummers/Nixon. :rolleyes

Felt and the FBI tried underhanded tactics against Daniel Ellsberg (SP)re: Pentagon Papers and were not successful, that is why the "Plummers" Unit was formed.
Felt was fined $5,000 and was later pardoned by Ronnie Raygun for authorizing illegal break-ins against the weather underground.

I can remember when "Liberal" was not a dirty word

Steve Perry
06-04-2005, 09:33 AM
one thing is for sure , the wheel in the sky keeps on turning.

The Ressurrected One
06-04-2005, 02:42 PM
one thing is for sure , the wheel in the sky keeps on turning.
So, how's the back?

Nbadan
06-06-2005, 04:25 PM
Turns out that Deep throat may have been a collaberative effort...

Deep Throat's tale revealed
Former FBI agent says 3 FBI officials helped W. Mark Felt leak information about Watergate probe to the press
By BRENDAN LYONS, Staff writer
First published: Monday, June 6, 2005

At the height of the Watergate investigation more than three decades ago, three high-ranking FBI officials conspired with the agency's deputy director to leak information about their probe to the press.

The revelation of that collaboration by a retired FBI agent in conversations in recent days with the Times Union casts W. Mark Felt -- who admitted last week to being the media source known as Deep Throat -- not as a disgruntled maverick, as some have suggested, but rather as the leader of a clandestine group that fought White House efforts to contain the sprawling investigation.

Paul V. Daly, 64, who joined the bureau in 1965 and went on to head field offices in Albany and North Carolina, told the Times Union last week that he learned in 1978 that Felt was Deep Throat and that he had not acted alone: At least three other FBI officials helped Felt secretly disclose information about the Watergate investigation to The Washington Post.

The FBI officials met regularly in their Washington, D.C., offices to discuss what information they would reveal to fuel media interest. Their motive, according to Daly, was to counteract the Nixon White House's efforts to quash the FBI investigation of the Watergate burglary and related wrongdoing linked to the Oval Office.

<</SNIP>>

Union Times (http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=367183)

I like how Nixon-Republicans love to gloss over the fact that Nixon cabinet members authorized and participated in the burglary of the Washington offices of the Democratic Party in order to gain a political advantage over its political enemies. Nixon hanging himself with his own tapes was classic.

Government whistleblowers save taxpayers money, expose systematic corruption and official graft. Nothing wrong with that.

Nbadan
06-07-2005, 10:52 AM
Here is a great timeline of the Watergate scandal that brought Nixon down...

Watergate Chronology
1968 | 1969 | 1970 | 1971 | 1972 | 1973 | 1974 | 2002 - Present

November 5, 1968
Richard Milhous Nixon, the 55-year-old former vice president who lost the presidency for the Republicans in 1960, reclaims it by defeating Hubert Humphrey in one of the closest elections in U.S. history. Post Story

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
January 21, 1969
Nixon is inaugurated as the 37th president of the United States. Post Story

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
July 23, 1970
Nixon approves a plan for greatly expanding domestic intelligence-gathering by the FBI, CIA and other agencies. He has second thoughts a few days later and rescinds his approval.

June 13, 1971
The New York Times begins publishing the Pentagon Papers - the Defense Department's secret history of the Vietnam War. The Washington Post will begin publishing the papers later that same week.

September 3, 1971
The White House "plumbers" unit - named for their orders to plug leaks in the administration - burglarizes a psychiatrist's office to find files on Daniel Ellsberg, the former defense analyst who leaked the Pentagon Papers.

June 17, 1972
Five men, one of whom says he used to work for the CIA, are arrested at 2:30 a.m. trying to bug the offices of the Democratic National Committee at the Watergate hotel and office complex. Post Story

June 19, 1972

A GOP security aide is among the Watergate burglars, The Washington Post reports. Former attorney general John Mitchell, head of the Nixon reelection campaign, denies any link to the operation. Post Story

August 1, 1972
A $25,000 cashier's check, apparently earmarked for the Nixon campaign, wound up in the bank account of a Watergate burglar, The Washington Post reports. Post Story

September 29, 1972
John Mitchell, while serving as attorney general, controlled a secret Republican fund used to finance widespread intelligence-gathering operations against the Democrats, The Post reports. Post Story

October 10, 1972

FBI agents establish that the Watergate break-in stems from a massive campaign of political spying and sabotage conducted on behalf of the Nixon reelection effort, The Post reports. Post Story

November 7, 1972
Nixon is reelected in one of the largest landslides in American political history, taking more than 60 percent of the vote and crushing the Democratic nominee, Sen. George McGovern of South Dakota. Post Story

January 30, 1973
Former Nixon aides G. Gordon Liddy and James W. McCord Jr. are convicted of conspiracy, burglary and wiretapping in the Watergate incident. Five other men plead guilty, but mysteries remain. Post Story

April 30, 1973
Nixon's top White House staffers, H.R. Haldeman and John Ehrlichman, and Attorney General Richard Kleindienst resign over the scandal. White House counsel John Dean is fired. Post Story

May 18, 1973
The Senate Watergate Committee begins its nationally televised hearings. Attorney General-designate Elliot Richardson taps former solicitor general Archibald Cox as the Justice Department's special prosecutor for Watergate. Post Story

June 3, 1973

John Dean has told Watergate investigators that he discussed the Watergate cover-up with President Nixon at least 35 times, The Post reports. Post Story

June 13, 1973
Watergate prosecutors find a memo addressed to John Ehrlichman describing in detail the plans to burglarize the office of Pentagon Papers defendant Daniel Ellsberg's psychiatrist, The Post reports. Post Story

July 13, 1973
Alexander Butterfield, former presidential appointments secretary, reveals in congressional testimony that since 1971 Nixon had recorded all conversations and telephone calls in his offices. Post Story

July 18, 1973
Nixon reportedly orders the White House taping system disconnected.

July 23, 1973
Nixon refuses to turn over the presidential tape recordings to the Senate Watergate Committee or the special prosecutor. Post Story

October 20, 1973

Saturday Night Massacre: Nixon fires Archibald Cox and abolishes the office of the special prosecutor. Attorney General Richardson and Deputy Attorney General William D. Ruckelshaus resign. Pressure for impeachment mounts in Congress. Post Story

November 17, 1973

Nixon declares, "I'm not a crook," maintaining his innocence in the Watergate case. Post Story

December 7, 1973
The White House can't explain an 18 ½-minute gap in one of the subpoenaed tapes. Chief of Staff Alexander Haig says one theory is that "some sinister force" erased the segment. Post Story

April 30, 1974
The White House releases more than 1,200 pages of edited transcripts of the Nixon tapes to the House Judiciary Committee, but the committee insists that the tapes themselves must be turned over. Post Story

July 24, 1974
The Supreme Court rules unanimously that Nixon must turn over the tape recordings of 64 White House conversations, rejecting the president's claims of executive privilege. Post Story

July 27, 1974
House Judiciary Committee passes the first of three articles of impeachment, charging obstruction of justice. Post Story

August 8, 1974
Richard Nixon becomes the first U.S. president to resign. Vice President Gerald R. Ford assumes the country's highest office. He will later pardon Nixon of all charges related to the Watergate case. Post Story

June 13, 2002
Stanley L. Greigg, 71, the former Democratic National Committee official who filed the original criminal complaint against the Watergate burglars, dies in Salem, Va. Post Story

June 25, 2002
One week after the 30th anniversary of the Watergate break-in, an alternative theory of what prompted the most famous burglary in American political history returns to U.S. District Court. Post Story

February 10, 2003
Ronald Ziegler, 63, who as President Richard M. Nixon's press secretary at first described the Watergate break-in as a "third-rate burglary," a symbol of his often-testy relations with reporters, dies after a heart attack. Post Story

April 8, 2003
In one of the largest such purchases in American history, the University of Texas at Austin buys the Watergate papers of Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein for $5 million, the university announced. Post Story

July 16, 2003
Chesterfield Smith, 85, a prominent Florida lawyer who, as president of the American Bar Association in 1973, became a critic of President Richard Nixon's efforts to avoid the stains of the Watergate scandal, dies in a hospital in Coral Gables, Fla., after a heart attack. Post Story

July 27, 2003
Thirty years after the Senate select committee hearings on Watergate riveted the nation and doomed the Nixon presidency, a key figure in the scandal says he has a fresh and explosive revelation: Richard M. Nixon personally ordered the burglary of Democratic headquarters at the Watergate complex. Post Story

August 24, 2003
John J. Rhodes, 86, an Arizona Republican who as minority leader of the House of Representatives played a critical role in the events leading to the 1974 resignation of President Richard M. Nixon, dies of cancer at his home in Mesa, Ariz. Post Story

October 31, 2003
Thomas F. McBride, 74, an associate prosecutor in the Watergate investigation and former inspector general of the Agriculture and Labor departments, dies of a cerebral hemorrhage while walking his dog in a park near his home in Portland, Ore. Post Story

November 13, 2003
Congressional negotiators agree to undo part of a Watergate-era law that prevented former president Richard M. Nixon from taking his tapes and papers with him, but say the records would still have to be processed here before being released to establish the presidential library that Nixon and his family always wanted. Post Story

December 11, 2003
National Archives and Records Administration release 240 more hours of tape of the 37th president. Post Story

April 9, 2004
Helen M. Smith, 84, who worked at the White House as press secretary and trusted aide to first lady Pat Nixon during the turbulent Watergate years, dies of vascular disease at her home in Washington. Post Story

May 27, 2004
Transcripts of telephone conversations released show President Richard M. Nixon jokingly threatened to drop a nuclear bomb on Capitol Hill in March 1974 as Congress was moving to impeach him over the Watergate scandal. Post Story

May 29, 2004
Archibald Cox, 92, the Harvard law professor and special prosecutor whose refusal to accept White House limits on his investigation of the Watergate break-in and coverup helped bring about the 1974 resignation of President Richard M. Nixon, dies at his home in Brooksville, Maine. Post Story

May 29, 2004
Samuel Dash, 79, the chief counsel of the Senate Watergate Committee whose televised interrogation into the secret audiotaping system at the White House ultimately led to President Richard M. Nixon's resignation, dies of multiple organ failure May 29 at Washington Hospital Center. Post Story

July 29, 2004
Frederick Cheney LaRue, 75, the shadowy Nixon White House aide and "bagman" who delivered more than $300,000 in payoffs to Watergate conspirators, dies of coronary artery disease in a Biloxi, Miss., motel room, where he lived. Post Story

January 22, 2005
Rose Mary Woods, 87, the Nixon White House secretary whose improbable stretch was supposed to account for part of an 18 ½-minute gap in a crucial Watergate tape, dies at a nursing home in Alliance, Ohio, where she lived. Post Story

February 4, 2005
Thousands of pages of notes, memos, transcripts and other materials collectively known as the Woodward and Bernstein Watergate Papers opens to the public at the University of Texas, minus the most fascinating detail connected to the demise of the Nixon administration: the identity of Deep Throat. Post Story

February 5, 2005
James Joseph Bierbower, 81, a well-known Washington lawyer who represented Nixon campaign aide Jeb Stuart Magruder during the Watergate trials and EPA official Rita Lavelle during a Superfund inquiry, dies of at Charlotte Hall Nursing Home in St. Mary's County. Post Story

February 18, 2005
Robert R. Merhige Jr., a judge who who wrote the decision that threw out the appeals of Watergate figures G. Gordon Liddy, Bernard Barker and Eugenio Martinez after they were convicted of breaking into the office of Daniel Ellsberg's psychiatrist dies. Post Story

May 31, 2005
The Washington Post confirms that W. Mark Felt, a former number-two official at the FBI, was "Deep Throat," after Vanity Fair magazine identified the 91-year-old Felt, now a retiree in California, as the long-anonymous source. Post Story

Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/onpolitics/watergate/chronology.htm)

Nbadan
06-09-2005, 01:07 AM
http://cagle.slate.msn.com/working/050606/rogers.gif

http://cagle.slate.msn.com/working/050607/stein.gif