PDA

View Full Version : 5 Men That Saved The NBA In Each Succeeding Generation

Koolaid_Man
02-13-2011, 08:09 PM
While there are many great players to have graced the NBA hardwood there's only a handful that should be credited with saving the NBA from collapse. Irregardless of what you think of these players personally there's not a single person on this forum that can produce facts that would disprove me. :toast These guys are responsible for the league's success and skyrocketing player salaries...Thanks to these fellows...

Magic Johnson & Larry Bird - 1980's - 10 yrs
Michael Jordan - 1990's - 10 yrs
Shaq O'Neal - 1996 - 2006 10 yrs
Kobe Bryant 2000- 2015 ( + 5 projected yrs) 15yrs

First off Magic and Larry were the first saviors....they get credit for rescuing the league from a bad image, drugs, and poor ownership of the 1980's.

Secondly MJ - Rescued the league in the 1990's post Magic and Bird and became the first true iconic global brand

3rdly - Shaq & Kobe - 2000's- Just like Magic and Bird except they played on the same team. Shaq by virtue of his Goliath like qualities became a world phenomenon unto himself and a for the NBA...Shaq made us all forget about the MJ heir apparent...Shaq had the NBA world unto himself...until......Kobe came along....Now the race to replace MJ started again with Kobe...hate him or love him Kobe catapulted the NBA to unknown heights. While MJ was a global marketing brand Kobe became a universal figure...similiar to Michael Jackson.

The Euro's and Chinese didn't love MJ they way they love Kobe...MJ was loved at home while Kobe was loved abroad. Based on this alone Kobe has done more for the NBA from a marketing perspective than anyone before him.

Kobe 2000 - 2010 ( 2010 - 2015 projected) - Based on All-Star returns alone and NBA player straw polls Kobe is still the NBA's biggest draw and will be for the foreseeable "near term" future. If Dwight lands in LA as expected he will extend Kobe's window into my projection years mainly from 2012-2015...making Kobe the single most important iconic figure in NBA history.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/Koolbreezey/ball/Ol20Kobe_sm.jpg

01Snake
02-13-2011, 08:18 PM
Is there a bigger Kobe dicksucker on this forum then Koolaids?

BlackSwordsMan
02-13-2011, 08:20 PM
2015, really? Kobe needs to pass the holy grail onto his successor durant already and just disappear like in indiana jones.

Koolaid_Man
02-13-2011, 08:24 PM
2015, really? Kobe needs to pass the holy grail onto his successor durant already and just disappear like in indiana jones.

Kobe can win the next 2...but will need Dwight to extend from 2012 - 2015...My post is spot on...You may not like me but I speaketh the truth...:toast

TE
02-13-2011, 08:32 PM
lol Koolaid, you should have been admitted to a psychiatric ward for such outlandish thoughts.

Proxy
02-13-2011, 09:18 PM
Why does this matter? You're too obvious of a troll.

lefty
02-13-2011, 09:23 PM
Kobe saved the NBA from what????????? :lmao

And CROFL at Shaq

Spur_Fanatic
02-13-2011, 09:53 PM
Once again, Kool delivers the daily crap.

Why not create a poll in which we vote the worst thread of the week? At the end of a year, a "Shitposter of the Year" award for the most wins, with a title and all (that can't be changed for a full year).

vBulletin allows permanent title changes?

Koolaid_Man
02-13-2011, 10:04 PM
Kobe saved the NBA from what????????? :lmao

And CROFL at Shaq

From Mediocrity and Tim Duncan...ratings alone could prove this...and many of you don't know this but ironically David Stern is on record as saying that his top 5 players all time are:

Magic
Larry
Michael
Shaq
Kobe

think about it...what player filled the MJ void...if Kobe wasn't there the NBA would have floundered similar to Magic and Bird holding it up in the 80's and MJ holding it up in the 90's..like I said you cannot disprove my facts...:toast

Koolaid_Man
02-13-2011, 10:09 PM
comparing mj to kobe is like comparing swagger to a swagger-jacker..kobe is good but the nba would be fine without him..he's only tied for the 2nd best player in the league these days anyway, they'd still have lebron

absolutely not...if 5 rings is swagger-jacker then getting 6 will be straight up ski-mask robbery...what you fail to realize is that we measure greatness by titles...all the guys I listed were not only champions but trendsetters...Lebron is nowhere near that so don't get life and bullshit fucked up...Lebron couldn't hold up Cleveland so what makes you think he can hold up the league if he can't even beat Kobe out of All-Star votes while he ( Lebron) is in his prime and Kobe is past it...

this pretty much sums it up:

59VacLYDWso

Killakobe81
02-13-2011, 10:12 PM
I'll say this ... Yao opened Asia (except Philipines they have always loved the NBA) and Kobe has been the most poular player internationally because of it.

But the assist come from Yao ...so Kool is not COMPLETELY off base here ...

baseline bum
02-13-2011, 10:12 PM
While there are many great players to have graced the NBA hardwood there's only a handful that should be credited with saving the NBA from collapse. Irregardless of what you think of these players personally there's not a single person on this forum that can produce facts that would disprove me. :toast These guys are responsible for the league's success and skyrocketing player salaries...Thanks to these fellows...

Magic Johnson & Larry Bird - 1980's - 10 yrs
Michael Jordan - 1990's - 10 yrs
Shaq O'Neal - 1996 - 2006 10 yrs
Kobe Bryant 2000- 2015 ( + 5 projected yrs) 15yrs

First off Magic and Larry were the first saviors....they get credit for rescuing the league from a bad image, drugs, and poor ownership of the 1980's.

Secondly MJ - Rescued the league in the 1990's post Magic and Bird and became the first true iconic global brand

3rdly - Shaq & Kobe - 2000's- Just like Magic and Bird except they played on the same team. Shaq by virtue of his Goliath like qualities became a world phenomenon unto himself and a for the NBA...Shaq made us all forget about the MJ heir apparent...Shaq had the NBA world unto himself...until......Kobe came along....Now the race to replace MJ started again with Kobe...hate him or love him Kobe catapulted the NBA to unknown heights. While MJ was a global marketing brand Kobe became a universal figure...similiar to Michael Jackson.

The Euro's and Chinese didn't love MJ they way they love Kobe...MJ was loved at home while Kobe was loved abroad. Based on this alone Kobe has done more for the NBA from a marketing perspective than anyone before him.

Kobe 2000 - 2010 ( 2010 - 2015 projected) - Based on All-Star returns alone and NBA player straw polls Kobe is still the NBA's biggest draw and will be for the foreseeable "near term" future. If Dwight lands in LA as expected he will extend Kobe's window into my projection years mainly from 2012-2015...making Kobe the single most important iconic figure in NBA history.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/Koolbreezey/ball/Ol20Kobe_sm.jpg

If we're talking ratings champions then Nash and Ewing trump Kobe tbh.

Koolaid_Man
02-13-2011, 10:17 PM
I'll say this ... Yao opened Asia (except Philipines they have always loved the NBA) and Kobe has been the most poular player internationally because of it.

But the assist come from Yao ...so Kool is not COMPLETELY off base here ...

hey Killa just fyi...that Kobe was holding up China way before Yao...in fact even till this day Kobe sells way more Jersey's in China...in Yao's own country than Yao himself and this is a dam shame...really:lol

like L.L Cool J said ...they love Kobe more than a man who's 10 ft tall...:lol

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204556804574258222289862830.html

Killakobe81
02-13-2011, 10:21 PM
hey Killa just fyi...that Kobe was holding up China way before Yao...in fact even till this day Kobe sells way more Jersey's in China...in Yao's own country than Yao himself and this is a dam shame...really:lol

like L.L Cool J said ...they love Kobe more than a man who's 10 ft tall...:lol

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204556804574258222289862830.html

Oh I know he was making waves there and in other countries before Yao. But my point is having Dirk in Germany, Parker in France, Manu in Argentina those guys get an assists for peaking interest in the NBA. Now once they are invested they can see as plain as day who the best player is and they dont need PER or sabre metrics to do it either. they love Kobe he has even more nicknames over there (Asia) then he does here ...

Koolaid_Man
02-13-2011, 10:30 PM
Oh I know he was making waves there and in other countries before Yao. But my point is having Dirk in Germany, Parker in France, Manu in Argentina those guys get an assists for peaking interest in the NBA. Now once they are invested they can see as plain as day who the best player is and they dont need PER or sabre metrics to do it either. they love Kobe he has even more nicknames over there (Asia) then he does here ...

:lol

yeah Kobe could go to each one their countries and take their shine and their Ho's away from em just like that...:lol Kobe fuck around and visit the Virgin Islands and they'll be like Duncan who? :lol

Medvedenko
02-14-2011, 01:21 AM
Koolaid just pouring the truth out...Kobe is by far the most popular athlete in the NBA in the entire world.

lefty
02-14-2011, 01:22 AM
Koolaid just pouring the truth out...Kobe is by far the most popular athlete in the NBA in the entire world.
That's because today's NBA sucks so much ass
He is really popular by default

Medvedenko
02-14-2011, 02:12 AM
That's because today's NBA sucks so much ass
He is really popular by default

thanks for coming out.

lefty
02-14-2011, 02:18 AM
thanks for coming out.

Truth hurts

But aloe soothes

Axe Murderer
02-14-2011, 02:58 AM
:rollin

this list is such horseshit. well actually you could make a case for Kobe/Shaq but that would involve logic and basketball knowledge and instead I'd probly get a laundry list full of homosexual references and youtube videos so I'll just leave it at that

LnGrrrR
02-14-2011, 12:30 PM

Yao's vote totals would argue otherwise :lol

djohn2oo8
02-14-2011, 01:39 PM
Yao's vote totals would argue otherwise :lol

:lol lol truth lol China, lol Koolgetsaids

Dice
02-14-2011, 03:35 PM
Dennis Rodman was more popular than Shaq during 96 and 97.

Tiger Woods was the most popular athlete. And he didn't even rape anyone.

DMC
02-14-2011, 03:36 PM
:lol

yeah Kobe could go to each one their countries and take their shine and their Ho's away from em just like that...:lol Kobe fuck around and visit the Virgin Islands and they'll be like Duncan who? :lol

I think it would be more like "Tim who?" because Duncan is his last name.

lil'mo
02-14-2011, 04:24 PM
.....Now the race to replace MJ started again with Kobe...hate him or love him Kobe catapulted the NBA to unknown heights. While MJ was a global marketing brand Kobe became a universal figure...similiar to Michael Jackson.

:lmao:lmao:lmao

Rummpd
02-14-2011, 05:14 PM
What a joke of a thread. 1 MVP anf failing to make the playofffs or win without Shaq or Gasol and he saved the NBA? One rape case almost ruined the NBA is the real truth of KB.

Spur_Fanatic
02-14-2011, 05:49 PM
I dunno France or the Virgin Islands... but I doubt Kobe could even scratch Manu's fandom in Argentina. Hell, take Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Shaq and 50 more NBA stars in one room; Manu in the other, and Manu would gather more people easy.

Outside of the US, the NBA is followed because of the international players, and not because Kobe or Lebron.

DMC
02-14-2011, 05:50 PM
AI did pretty well in Turkey

BoricuaCJA
02-14-2011, 06:12 PM
Does anyone have a list of the international players playing right now compared to the 80's and 90's?