PDA

View Full Version : The Larry Sanders Show

Wilford Brimley
02-13-2011, 11:44 PM
:tu or :td?

Never seen it before till I just watched the first episode on netflix. It was ehhh.

Pretty eerie seeing Ray Combs in the first episode though. Is it worth it to continue watching or is this an exercise in futility?

Dr. Gonzo
02-13-2011, 11:55 PM
I've watched the first 3 episodes and they are entertaining but not uproarious. I'm going to keep on with it.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-14-2011, 12:39 AM
They are showing repeats on IFC channel. (the channel that was perfect, but now is steadily heading the way of MTV by getting 10% gayer every six months)

It's entertaining, I've been watching when I can.

CuckingFunt
02-14-2011, 02:50 AM
They are showing repeats on IFC channel. (the channel that was perfect, but now is steadily heading the way of MTV by getting 10% gayer every six months)

IFC is no more or less gay than they ever have been, but the fact they're showing commercials and more mainstream films as of January 1st likely signals the beginning of the end.

Been enjoying "The Ben Stiller Show," though.

Kamala
02-14-2011, 04:31 AM
The series hits its stride around season 3 and gets better. Judd Apatow's first shots at directing happen later in the series.

The best episodes are the Hank-centered ones. Check out the Yamulke and The Roast "I don't go to your job and knock the dick out of your ass". The episode where he tells the Wu Tang Clan he has parking tickets coming out of his ass is also a standout.

Veterinarian
02-14-2011, 08:51 AM
The funniest show of all time imho. Basically created the template for shows like 30 Rock, and the Office. Both Tina Fey and Ricky Gervais openly admit this. Of course, I don't watch those shows so they could be complete dogshit, but both of them go into full kneepad mode whenever that show comes up.

What other shows or writers do you take inspiration from?

Tina Fey: What other shows? Gosh. I mean, the Larry Sanders Show was just one of the greatest TV shows ever, especially in terms of being about a similar topic to this show. I’m a big fan of The Office, both the British and the American versions. I grew up on a lot of classic TV too -- Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart, Carol Burnett Show -- all that kind of stuff. I’m trying to think if there’s anybody I’m forgetting. I really like Christopher Guest movies.
http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Interview-Tina-Fey-Talks-About-30-Rock-Part-1-9723.html

Oprah: And you modeled it after one of your all-time favorite series, The Larry Sanders Show [Garry Shandling's satirical comedy series, which ran from 1992 to 1998 on HBO]?

Tina: The Larry Sanders Show was a show within a show, and the network wanted me to do that too. But as much as I loved the series, I was worried it would seem like we were trying to rip it off.

http://www.oprah.com/world/Oprah-Winfrey-Interviews-Tina-Fey/6

Veterinarian
02-14-2011, 08:52 AM
Gervais glad to be part of the HBO family
Brit standup wowed by cabler's seminal series
By RICKY GERVAIS

'The Ricky Gervais Show'

'The Larry Sanders Show'

"The Larry Sanders Show' is the most important sitcom of a generation."

That's the quote I gave for the DVD of the complete first season of the show. I meant every word. It wasn't just important to the industry as a whole, it had a huge influence on me in particular.

It taught me that script and casting were everything. It probably gets the Emmy and Golden Globe for the greatest ensemble of all time. It taught me that flawed characters can be compulsive viewing -- seeing them squirm and get their comeuppance, but ultimately be members of a family you want to win through redemption or at least self awareness. It taught me that being an acquired taste is the thing to be. But most of all, it made me think that HBO must be the best broadcaster in the world.

I'd never heard of them before I watched "The Larry Sanders Show." I didn't even know what HBO stood for. It's Home Box Office. Yeh, I know you know. I didn't.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118026464?categoryid=14&cs=1&nid=2565

Nick Manning
02-14-2011, 11:50 AM
IFC is no more or less gay than they ever have been, but the fact they're showing commercials and more mainstream films as of January 1st likely signals the beginning of the end.

Been enjoying "The Ben Stiller Show," though.

T.J. O'Pootertoot's might be the best comedy skit ever made :tu

and any skit where he mocks Bruce Springsteen is classic as well.

Nick Manning
02-14-2011, 11:50 AM
Gervais glad to be part of the HBO family
Brit standup wowed by cabler's seminal series
By RICKY GERVAIS

'The Ricky Gervais Show'

'The Larry Sanders Show'

"The Larry Sanders Show' is the most important sitcom of a generation."

That's the quote I gave for the DVD of the complete first season of the show. I meant every word. It wasn't just important to the industry as a whole, it had a huge influence on me in particular.

It taught me that script and casting were everything. It probably gets the Emmy and Golden Globe for the greatest ensemble of all time. It taught me that flawed characters can be compulsive viewing -- seeing them squirm and get their comeuppance, but ultimately be members of a family you want to win through redemption or at least self awareness. It taught me that being an acquired taste is the thing to be. But most of all, it made me think that HBO must be the best broadcaster in the world.

I'd never heard of them before I watched "The Larry Sanders Show." I didn't even know what HBO stood for. It's Home Box Office. Yeh, I know you know. I didn't.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118026464?categoryid=14&cs=1&nid=2565

Sold...I'll have to watch the whole series then :tu

G-Nob
02-14-2011, 11:57 AM
I love the episode where Hank guests host for a sick Larry and fails miserably. Classic!

Cant_Be_Faded
02-14-2011, 07:46 PM
Does judd apatow own ifc? I just realized almost every show they air is connected to him in one way or another

Wilford Brimley
02-16-2011, 02:44 PM
Can't believe I neglected this show back when it was on. it's the goods :tu

Zelophehad
02-16-2011, 02:54 PM
Does judd apatow own ifc? I just realized almost every show they air is connected to him in one way or another

I don't know about that, but I watched a lot of this show via torrents a few years ago and have read about it; even did a paper on it in college. Appatow was a fairly small but important part of this. He really learned most of what he knows from the people on this show and will credit them for helping him develop his career/learning the business. There's a little revisionist history going on in that some people want to give credit for this show to Appatow but it couldn't be further from the truth. He helped definitely, but he wasn't the driving force like Larry David was with Seinfeld or some big, huge difference maker. He would be like 4th or 5th on the list of most influential behind the scenes people behind Shandling, Brad Grey, Dennis Klein, and Peter Tolan in whatever order.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-16-2011, 06:25 PM
I don't know about that, but I watched a lot of this show via torrents a few years ago and have read about it; even did a paper on it in college. Appatow was a fairly small but important part of this. He really learned most of what he knows from the people on this show and will credit them for helping him develop his career/learning the business. There's a little revisionist history going on in that some people want to give credit for this show to Appatow but it couldn't be further from the truth. He helped definitely, but he wasn't the driving force like Larry David was with Seinfeld or some big, huge difference maker. He would be like 4th or 5th on the list of most influential behind the scenes people behind Shandling, Brad Grey, Dennis Klein, and Peter Tolan in whatever order.

I didn't mean to intimate he was a substantial part of this show. All i am saying is ifc Shows are almost always connected to him. Freaks and geeks, un declared, larry sanders, Ben stiller show.

mrsmaalox
02-16-2011, 11:44 PM
The Larry Sanders Show was great but I'm just not feeling it this time around. I still love IFC, it and TCM are the only channels I watch with any frequency, but I've been disappointed with the recent original series'. I haven't liked any of them as much as The Minor Accomplishments of Jackie Woodman and Z-Rock. Hoping they come up with some new stuff.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-17-2011, 12:21 AM
I thought the episode where Mimi Rogers was shoving her gigantic boobs in his face was pretty good. He was like, "No, please don't shove your gigantic boobs in my face, I'm married now."

classic

Viva Las Espuelas
02-17-2011, 12:28 AM
I think I'd go with gargantuan as opposed to gigantic :lol

Booharv
06-19-2011, 02:51 PM
Complete series is $59.99 today at amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=cs_top_nav_gb27

Wilford Brimley
08-06-2011, 02:04 PM
I fell in love with the show. Excellent stuff.

DMC
08-07-2011, 01:41 AM
Hank was the same guy who played on Meet Joe Black, is that right?

Magua
05-23-2012, 05:26 AM
The episode where Larry runs through his guest so Hank can talk about his estranged and recently deceased father--only to freeze up--is a classic.:lol

Vendela was bangin' back in those days.