PDA

View Full Version : Ian Mahinmi Update

SenorSpur
02-14-2011, 12:18 PM
Many pro-Ian Mahinmi supporters, including myself, claimed that the jury was still out on this kid, and perhaps he deserved another look. It now appears that some small progress has been made. Apparently, there is certainly evidence that he can contribute and provide good energy. Same evidence we saw in small doses last season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mavericks/post/_/id/4674535/ian-mahinmi-earns-more-minutes

HOUSTON -Brendan Haywood, who is locked into the longest contract on the roster, is no longer the Mavericks’ clear-cut backup center.

Coach Rick Carlisle insists that’s not evidence that he’s displeased with Haywood, who is midway through the first season of a five-year guaranteed deal. It’s just that Carlisle is especially happy with young Ian Mahinmi.

That’s Carlisle’s explanation for why Haywood didn’t take off his warm-ups during two of the Mavs’ four games this week.

“It’s no knock on Brendan, but Ian’s playing well,” said Carlisle, who made a point to praise Haywood’s performance in Wednesday’s win over the Kings.

It’s not as if Mahinmi has claimed the backup big man role. It seems to change on a night-to-night basis.

Mahinmi hasn’t played a minute in two of the previous five games. But he’s earned extended time in two other games. He had 11 points and eight rebounds in 21 minutes during Monday’s win over the Cavaliers. He played a career-high 25 minutes in Saturday’s win over the Rockets, scoring seven points and grabbing six rebounds.

The sporadic minutes serve as motivation for Mahinmi, an athletic 6-foot-10 24-year-old whose offensive game who has developed a midrange jumper this season.

“If I’m out there for three minutes, I try to play as hard as I can so maybe I can get four minutes,” Mahinmi said. “I try to earn more and more minutes by being out there on the floor and doing the right things. As a role player, you come off the bench and really try to get a lot of energy.”

If Haywood had done that consistently, it would have been much harder for Mahinmi to compete for minutes.

Maybe Mahinmi's increase in playing time is just as much a testimony to Haywood's inconsistency and laziness, as it is to Ian's development. Maybe not. One thing is definitely clear - the kid has is hungry and has not stopped working hard. While he's not a full-time Mavs rotation player yet, nor can he shoot 3's to spread the floor, but he's certainly not the garbage player that some on this board were so quick to indicate.

Now tell me again why is was such a good idea for the Spurs to kick out a youhg, high-energy, back-to-the-basket frontline player?

rjv
02-14-2011, 12:20 PM
i saw some of him against denver. 2 fouls in about 4 minutes. same old ian.

CGD
02-14-2011, 12:26 PM
Hopefully good news for Ian. I hope the guy has a good career after his string on injury induced false-starts.

venitian navigator
02-14-2011, 12:29 PM
Maybe you're right, but as a 6th man I take a young stud that can play defense, run the floor, and already knows more than a bit our system any day of the year, week ands included...expecially at the price the mavs are currently paiyng him (that, however, is less than what we should have payed him in case we decided to re-sign him).

Brutalis
02-14-2011, 12:33 PM
Ian is a 10 day contract to me.

FTLSpur
02-14-2011, 12:34 PM
No... Haywood is still a MUCH better player...

ElNono
02-14-2011, 12:38 PM
Maybe the Spurs felt he couldn't break the rotation of Duncan/Blair/Bonner/Dice, and they had to pick between Tiago and Ian for the 5th big spot...
Can't really argue with keeping Tiago, since he's much further along in overall development as a player (even though he's probably much less familiar with the system or the league).

TheSpurglar
02-14-2011, 12:40 PM
Didn't Pop mention in an interview recently that a big part of the reason the Mahinmi experiment failed was because of the restrictions the NBA places on the type of players that can be slotted into the D-League? Mahinmi got hurt a few times, didn't have the time to learn the Spurs' complicated sets, etc. and was unable to get the minutes he needed as a result. And because he was too far along in his career, he couldn't go to the D-League anymore to get the valuable playing time he needed to get over his penchant for being out of position, which resulted in all the dumb fouls he got nearly every game...

FromWayDowntown
02-14-2011, 12:43 PM
I'm quite surprised that more of the posters in this forum haven't been snapped up by NBA front offices to take personnel positions.

ElNono
02-14-2011, 01:00 PM
I'm quite surprised that more of the posters in this forum haven't been snapped up by NBA front offices to take personnel positions.

Completely agree. Especially since it's well known the Spurs FO periodically lifts ideas from this very forum...

buttsR4rebounding
02-14-2011, 01:24 PM
i saw some of him against denver. 2 fouls in about 4 minutes. same old ian.

Ian is ranked 25th in the NBA in PER/48 minutes. So, when he gets on the floor he is producing and having a positive impact. He has played in 33 games so the sample size is getting large enough to actually have some relavance.

rjv
02-14-2011, 01:29 PM
Ian is ranked 25th in the NBA in PER/48 minutes. So, when he gets on the floor he is producing and having a positive impact. He has played in 33 games so the sample size is getting large enough to actually have some relavance.

i take the PER with a grain of salt. jackie butler once had a very high and supposedly relevant PER too... once.

Horse
02-14-2011, 01:32 PM
Wow we're still talking about this? Who the Fuck cares, he still would get no time on our team. Fuck him and Fuck dallas!

Horse
02-14-2011, 01:33 PM
Wow we're still talking about this? Who the Fuck cares, he still would get no time on our team. Fuck him and Fuck dallas!
Oh yeah and Fuck dallas!:ihit

Phillip
02-14-2011, 01:36 PM
Mahinmi definitely has a nice offensive skillset. Good postup skills, nice touch around the rim, a decent mid-range shot. Looks very smooth and natural. Is great at drawing fouls too. His defense is full of energy, and he is willing to get physical, but he tends to get in foul trouble, and bite on fakes too easily, causing him to get out of position at defending backdoor cuts/passes.

He definitely has a fair amount of talent, and seems to have a natural feel for the game, but needs more experience. Has talent to be similar to someone like Nene or Chris Kaman. Whether he applies it is another thing.

DesignatedT
02-14-2011, 01:38 PM
lol carlisle playing ian over haywood.

wildbill2u
02-14-2011, 01:38 PM
I'm living in Dallas and since my mother is a Mavs fan we watch all their games. Mahinmi is producing for them and isn't really a liability on fouls. He gets his share--but so do all rookies (virtual) who play hard on the frontline.

Overall, you can tell Rick Carlisle really likes his effort and level of play by his comments on Ian after games. He is earning his minutes.

The fact that Pop couldn't find him more minutes is more a comment on the good depth of the verteran front players we have on our bench than a negative on Mahinmi.

rjv
02-14-2011, 02:07 PM
Mahinmi definitely has a nice offensive skillset. Good postup skills, nice touch around the rim, a decent mid-range shot. Looks very smooth and natural. Is great at drawing fouls too. His defense is full of energy, and he is willing to get physical, but he tends to get in foul trouble, and bite on fakes too easily, causing him to get out of position at defending backdoor cuts/passes.

He definitely has a fair amount of talent, and seems to have a natural feel for the game, but needs more experience. Has talent to be similar to someone like Nene or Chris Kaman. Whether he applies it is another thing.

nene or kaman ? more like d'andre jordan.

Cane
02-14-2011, 02:17 PM
Ian didn't get many minutes but he had earned plenty of respect and good words from Coach Pop and the Spurs FWIW. He's got talent but seems prone to making too many bad decisions and could bulk up a little bit more.

However I think this is a way of the Mavericks accomplishing several things:

Raising Ian's value in the market for a trade by the deadline

Boosting Ian's confidence

Kicking Haywood's overpaid ass some more as some kind of motivation. However his confidence has been shot and he's also clearly worse than Chandler. Haywood's contract and impact is basically a bad joke.

MannyIsGod
02-14-2011, 02:21 PM
I'm pretty shocked dude isn't putting up 20/20 yet, tbh.

ChumpDumper
02-14-2011, 02:36 PM
He played well against the Cavs.

Phillip
02-14-2011, 02:40 PM
nene or kaman ? more like d'andre jordan.

I say that in the sense that he could be like a 15/10 kind of guy, like a second or third tier center among the nba. Definitely a quality player. potentially.

DPG21920
02-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Ian has played well on both ends for the Mavs. Nothing out of this world, but clearly an NBA rotational big.

FromWayDowntown
02-14-2011, 02:59 PM
I say that in the sense that he could be like a 15/10 kind of guy, like a second or third tier center among the nba. Definitely a quality player. potentially.

A 15-10 guy isn't a second or third tier center in the NBA; a big who gets 15-10 is an All-Star (or at least someone who is deservedly in that conversation).

Phillip
02-14-2011, 03:18 PM
A 15-10 guy isn't a second or third tier center in the NBA; a big who gets 15-10 is an All-Star (or at least someone who is deservedly in that conversation).

Well, hes below someone like Dwight Howard, like I said, more on the level of guys like Nene, Bynum, or Kaman, give or take a couple points or rebounds, but close to the 15/10 range. Howard is more of a 22/12 guy, while Bynum is like a 15/10 guy, and Howard is definitely superior to Bynum, so I'd say that 15/10 can qualify as a second tier level center.

ChumpDumper
02-14-2011, 03:18 PM
A 15-10 guy isn't a second or third tier center in the NBA; a big who gets 15-10 is an All-Star (or at least someone who is deservedly in that conversation).Yeah, there are all of six players who are currently doing that in the NBA, if you round up.

jjktkk
02-14-2011, 03:44 PM
The Spurs went with Splitter over Mahimni. Mahimni might seem the better option right now, but Splitter will turn out to be a better player imo.

Trill Clinton
02-14-2011, 03:52 PM
no one cares about francisco elson 2.0:sleep

K-State Spur
02-14-2011, 04:23 PM
Mahimni might seem the better option right now...

Why?

Obstructed_View
02-14-2011, 05:18 PM
As usual, people bagging on him aren't actually watching. Haywood is being paid a ton of money, which is why it's shocking that Mahinmi gets any minutes at all. That he's passed him in the rotation is huge.

MannyIsGod
02-14-2011, 05:18 PM
Comparing Ian to Dejuan is an insult to Dejuan. Dejuan isn't a china doll and has already put up damn good numbers in the NBA. Ian's history has been "he can be" over and over and over again.

Dude's not even on the Spurs anymore and we're still seeing posts about him showing potential. Let me know when he realizes that potential because I've read this shit for years already.

MannyIsGod
02-14-2011, 05:20 PM
As usual, people bagging on him aren't actually watching. Haywood is being paid a ton of money, which is why it's shocking that Mahinmi gets any minutes at all. That he's passed him in the rotation is huge.

As usual people supporting Ian are all about potential. His stats this season are right in line with his career stats.

DMC
02-14-2011, 05:22 PM
That was from way downtown, and it was nothing but net.

DMC
02-14-2011, 05:23 PM
People have a tendency to look at body type and equate that to potential. There are no sliders in the NBA where you can change a player's abilities. He is what he is.

#41 Shoot Em Up
02-14-2011, 05:25 PM
I like him, brings energy and hustle.
Might sound like nothing but Haywood has set the bar extrememly low.

G-Dawgg
02-14-2011, 05:33 PM
Comparing Ian to Dejuan is an insult to Dejuan. Dejuan isn't a china doll and has already put up damn good numbers in the NBA. Ian's history has been "he can be" over and over and over again.

Dude's not even on the Spurs anymore and we're still seeing posts about him showing potential. Let me know when he realizes that potential because I've read this shit for years already.

That's exactly what this post is about.. He's starting to realize some of that potential.

Obstructed_View
02-14-2011, 05:39 PM
As usual people supporting Ian are all about potential. His stats this season are right in line with his career stats.

I never said anything about his potential. I live in Dallas and watch the games. He's worked his way past Haywood, and he's contributing to wins. And I guess you just conveniently missed his efficiency rating when you were poring over his stats (as well as the fact that he's now appeared in more NBA games as a Maverick than as a Spur). I'm perfectly happy with the lineup the Spurs have, but anyone that says Mahinmi can't play are paying about as much attention as they always have.

gospursgojas
02-14-2011, 05:44 PM
Not this again.

DMC
02-14-2011, 05:46 PM
Every team has it's coulda, shoulda, woulda types.

Bruno
02-14-2011, 06:01 PM
I don't get why most of the posters are excessive in one way or the other when it comes to Mahinmi.

On the one hand, Ian is having a quite good season considering how little he has played these past 4 years. It's encouraging that he go praises from his coach and some playing time with a contender. He is still young and have some qualities. He certainly isn't the scrub some people said he were and he could turn into a good NBA player down the road.

On the other hand, Ian is nowhere near the level to say that Spurs have made a mistake by letting him go. He has had some good stints but there is a huge gap between that and being good at every game. Trashing Spurs' choice to let him go is based on nothing.

I personally really like Ian and I wish him the best as long as he doesn't hurt Spurs. With the Splitter signing, Spurs have added a quality young center but I'm still damn puzzled with Spurs giving Bonner $11M with his poor playoffs record.

jjktkk
02-14-2011, 06:05 PM
Why?

Mahimni getting more playing time, passing up Haywood on the Mavs depth chart. I personally believe Splitter is a better player, but just going by playing time, some can argue that Mahimni is the better player.

jjktkk
02-14-2011, 06:06 PM
Not this again.

+1. Thats ship should of sailed a long time ago tbh.

MannyIsGod
02-14-2011, 06:09 PM
That's exactly what this post is about.. He's starting to realize some of that potential.

No. He's not. He's had a couple of good games in the past. This post is the same shit the forum gets anytime Ian scores over 10 points. I don't care if you all want to go "I Told You So" once Ian actually does something but at least fucking wait till he does that.

Dude has 2 games in the past 15 where he plays over 20. If thats in the rotation I'd hate to see what it means to be out of the rotation.

G-Dawgg
02-14-2011, 06:32 PM
No. He's not. He's had a couple of good games in the past. This post is the same shit the forum gets anytime Ian scores over 10 points. I don't care if you all want to go "I Told You So" once Ian actually does something but at least fucking wait till he does that.

Dude has 2 games in the past 15 where he plays over 20. If thats in the rotation I'd hate to see what it means to be out of the rotation.

I disagree, he's starting to supplant a proven career NBA starter (Haywood) at the center position. HE IS doing better. I'm not saying "I told you so to anybody". To be honest, I was never a Mahinmi homer. In fact I hated him while he was here because I wanted him to be so much better but he just plain sucked... I'm just giving my props where they are due, and acknowledging that Mahinimi is starting to play better.

MannyIsGod
02-14-2011, 06:38 PM
If having a good game or two is all it takes to supplant someone then he basically supplanted Tim Duncan years ago.

He's had 2 DNP in his last 5 games. Thats far from a firm grasp on a rotation spot. At least let the guy put up 15 minutes for 10 straight games before anything else.

G-Dawgg
02-14-2011, 07:19 PM
Sure dude.. whatever you want.

ChuckD
02-14-2011, 07:32 PM
I'm pretty shocked dude isn't putting up 20/20 yet, tbh.

:lol

ChuckD
02-14-2011, 07:44 PM
I like him, brings energy and hustle.
Might sound like nothing but Haywood has set the bar extrememly low.

I think someone hit the bullseye.

Oh, and Ian will never be a 15/10 guy. The requires staying on the floor probably 35 minutes without accumulating 6 fouls.

SenorSpur
02-14-2011, 08:01 PM
I never said anything about his potential. I live in Dallas and watch the games. He's worked his way past Haywood, and he's contributing to wins. And I guess you just conveniently missed his efficiency rating when you were poring over his stats (as well as the fact that he's now appeared in more NBA games as a Maverick than as a Spur). I'm perfectly happy with the lineup the Spurs have, but anyone that says Mahinmi can't play are paying about as much attention as they always have.

That's the point right there. I watch my share of the Mavs games too. And when given playing time, Ian isn't stinking it up at all. In fact, he's being a factor. Providing good energy, rebounding, defense and hustle. He's earning more time, at the expense of a player (Haywood), who has a longer, more illustrious resume than he has. And Ian has done it by continuing to work hard in practice and in games. As a result he has earned the coaches favor and trust. That's the sole point of this original post.

galvatron3000
02-14-2011, 08:08 PM
Personally, Spurs should have pad Ian a small fee and retain him. Splitter and Ian could have been a decent future. Bonner, ha! Looks like the Mavs will be shopping Haywood before the deadline. He is obviously in the doghouse and doesn't get along with Carlisle well enough to stay. If he does stay I'd be surprised but I don't know how much he makes or his contract.

Dr. Gonzo
02-14-2011, 08:43 PM
Popabitch should have been fired for not playing Ian 34+ minutes a game.

ChuckD
02-14-2011, 08:52 PM
Personally, Spurs should have pad Ian a small fee and retain him. Splitter and Ian could have been a decent future. Bonner, ha! Looks like the Mavs will be shopping Haywood before the deadline. He is obviously in the doghouse and doesn't get along with Carlisle well enough to stay. If he does stay I'd be surprised but I don't know how much he makes or his contract.

The Spurs didn't want Ian. If they had, they wouldn't have allowed him to become unrestricted. Ian didn't want to stay. He knew he wouldn't play. Definitely a case where both parties got what they wanted.

Obstructed_View
02-14-2011, 10:12 PM
That's the point right there. I watch my share of the Mavs games too. And when given playing time, Ian isn't stinking it up at all. In fact, he's being a factor. Providing good energy, rebounding, defense and hustle. He's earning more time, at the expense of a player (Haywood), who has a longer, more illustrious resume than he has. And Ian has done it by continuing to work hard in practice and in games. As a result he has earned the coaches favor and trust. That's the sole point of this original post.

It's that big massive contract extension BH signed that's the biggest stumbling block for Ian. Coaches get a lot of pressure from front offices to play guys making that much money, which is why Haywood's getting double the minutes that Ian gets. A sign of Mahinnmi's effectiveness is that he's putting up the same numbers as Haywood despite that.

Obstructed_View
02-14-2011, 10:13 PM
The Spurs didn't want Ian. If they had, they wouldn't have allowed him to become unrestricted. Ian didn't want to stay. He knew he wouldn't play. Definitely a case where both parties got what they wanted.

Yeah if it's this hard for Splitter to get minutes, Ian would have been lucky to be in uniform as a Spur this season.

tuncaboylu
02-15-2011, 12:37 AM
Mahimni getting more playing time, passing up Haywood on the Mavs depth chart. I personally believe Splitter is a better player, but just going by playing time, some can argue that Mahimni is the better player.

It's because Haywood is a lazy player. Splitter would pass up Haywood in Dallas lie Mahinmi. Mahinmi will not be more than a 5th big in a contender.

Obstructed_View
02-15-2011, 12:46 AM
It's because Haywood is a lazy player. Splitter would pass up Haywood in Dallas lie Mahinmi. Mahinmi will not be more than a 5th big in a contender.

Um...the Mavs are a lottery team?

tuncaboylu
02-15-2011, 01:02 AM
Um...the Mavs are a lottery team?

No but they're desperate. I'm sure that they aren't happy to give Mahinmi such a big role. Their other bigs are Haywood and Cardinal !

EricB
02-15-2011, 01:26 AM

Game, set, match.

Obstructed_View
02-15-2011, 01:43 AM
No but they're desperate. I'm sure that they aren't happy to give Mahinmi such a big role. Their other bigs are Haywood and Cardinal !

Actually, their other bigs are Chandler and Haywood. They certainly aren't happy that he's outplaying a guy who they just signed for 55 million dollars.

tuncaboylu
02-15-2011, 02:25 AM
Actually, their other bigs are Chandler and Haywood. They certainly aren't happy that he's outplaying a guy who they just signed for 55 million dollars.

Cuban will never be a clever man.

First Dampier, then Haywood.

ceperez
02-15-2011, 05:56 AM

Agree that he is a servicable big that is definitely worth the minimum Dallas is paying him.

Blair has more talent.
Splitter has better skills.

Still I still think he should habe been kept in the roster for the minimum.

ChuckD
02-15-2011, 08:05 AM
Agree that he is a servicable big that is definitely worth the minimum Dallas is paying him.

Blair has more talent.
Splitter has better skills.

Still I still think he should habe been kept in the roster for the minimum.
You act like the Spurs had the choice. He was unrestricted.

"Hey Ian, come take minimum to sit on the bench (or in a suit), when if we had picked up your option, you'd be making twice that."

Yeah, I'm sure he would have pushed people away to sign that.

temujin
02-15-2011, 08:12 AM
This is the sign of the -winning- times for ST.

Gone are the Luis Scola threads.

Now about Mainhimi.

Next up will be how Mange Bateer is doing in the Borneo championship.

K-State Spur
02-15-2011, 08:22 AM

Splitter has played more this season than Ian has.

Contrary to what Carlisle states, I still think this says more about Haywood's production (or lack of) than Ian.

Ian's a nice talent who would have been a good rotation player for us if he could have ever a) stayed healthy and b) avoided fouls.

K-State Spur
02-15-2011, 08:23 AM
Cuban will never be a clever man.

First Dampier, then Haywood.

Actually: First Dampier...then Diop...then Haywood.

MannyIsGod
02-15-2011, 08:36 AM

You can't even make the most mundane of cases for ian without hyperbole like this. How many games has ian outplayed haywood? Maybe 2?

Harry Callahan
02-15-2011, 08:40 AM
Why would anyone take on Haywood when he has four more years and $40MM plus guaranteed to him over the next four+ years? His abilities do not justify his contract and that was the case the moment pen went to paper. Cuban bid against himself a little bit (nothing new there).

The Mavies had no centers when they signed him, and he turned into a dog when he was relegated to the bench. Now they will have to overpay Chandler unless the CBA changes dramatically.

Ian is a nice talent and definitely NOT a bust. SA had to make a money decision and not pick up his option ($3.5-4MM cap charge). Too bad, because he did have something to offer even with his limitations experience wise and foul/mistake wise.

galvatron3000
02-15-2011, 10:00 AM

I understand that I was giving my view in contrast to theirs. Why the Spurs didn't want Ian must have been internal because he is a raw athletic Big that could have been groomed by Duncan, may not have ever been an All star but certainly serviceable.

SenorSpur
02-15-2011, 10:03 AM
Agreed.

It's also nice to see and hear from all the "holier-than-thou", sarcastic, aristrocrats of ST. No thread can ever be legitimized unless it's blessed by their retorts.

K-State Spur
02-15-2011, 10:04 AM
I understand that I was giving my view in contrast to theirs. Why the Spurs didn't want Ian must have been internal because he is a raw athletic Big that could have been groomed by Duncan, may not have ever been an All star but certainly serviceable.

The problem is that he's been a raw athletic big for 6 years. At some point you've got to either shit or get off the pot.

I'm rooting for Ian (against anybody except for the Spurs) - but I see no fallacy in logic with preferring to go with Duncan/Blair/Dyess/Bonner/Splitter for this season. You can even throw in Richards as the current "raw" development project at the moment.

I'd rather have Ian than Novak or the empty roster slots - but the fact of the matter is that he was getting pretty expensive to be the last guy on the bench.

E-RockWill
02-15-2011, 10:54 AM
The problem is that he's been a raw athletic big for 6 years. At some point you've got to either shit or get off the pot.

I'm rooting for Ian (against anybody except for the Spurs) - but I see no fallacy in logic with preferring to go with Duncan/Blair/Dyess/Bonner/Splitter for this season. You can even throw in Richards as the current "raw" development project at the moment.

I'd rather have Ian than Novak or the empty roster slots - but the fact of the matter is that he was getting pretty expensive to be the last guy on the bench.

This exactly. Ian is a nice kid & worked hard. He was a great pick up for the Mavs.

fitzgerald
02-15-2011, 02:28 PM

I see the same thing you do. I would not give Haywood more minutes than Ian any game. (unless of foul trouble) He works hard. He hustles. He rebounds. Better touch than all the other centers on Mavs. With more minutes he will definitely contribute come playoff time. Been pleasantly surprised and happy with Ian.

Obstructed_View
02-15-2011, 07:21 PM
You can't even make the most mundane of cases for ian without hyperbole like this. How many games has ian outplayed haywood? Maybe 2?

Gotta look at the minutes, genius.

Dr. Gonzo
02-15-2011, 08:32 PM
You can even throw in Richards as the current "raw" development project at the moment.

Ryan Richards Thread!!!

Dr. Gonzo
02-15-2011, 08:34 PM
Remember when everyone was crying for Pops Mensah-Bonsu as being the next great big guy in San Anto because he could dunk. That was funny.

Dr. Gonzo
02-15-2011, 08:35 PM
Just from what I remember:

James White
Luis Scola
Pops Mensah Bonsu
Ian Mahinmi
Tiago Splitter

That was the future of the Spurs to some people on these boards and none of them succeeded because Pop is a horrible coattail riding coach. lol

Oh and that Javtokas guy.

Obstructed_View
02-15-2011, 08:38 PM
Remember when everyone was crying for Pops Mensah-Bonsu as being the next great big guy in San Anto because he could dunk. That was funny.

Remember when the Spurs' smallball lineups routinely got raped and their big rotation was so weak that Pops Mensah Bonsu was actually an improvement?

Dr. Gonzo
02-15-2011, 08:57 PM
Remember when the Spurs' smallball lineups routinely got raped and their big rotation was so weak that Pops Mensah Bonsu was actually an improvement?

Remember when he played he made absolutely no impact even with a horrid big rotation?

ChumpDumper
02-15-2011, 09:07 PM
Dude, he dunked that time.

MannyIsGod
02-15-2011, 09:18 PM
Gotta look at the minutes, genius.

You gotta look at the minutes to tell me how many games Ian has played better than Haywood? Ok then do it?

mingus
02-15-2011, 10:05 PM
I like Ian's game and I'm positive he'll be a serviceable player for someone in the near future. He will end up being a solid rotational big for someone in the mold of Serge Ibaka.

Dallas put themselves in a position where they have to play Haywood more minutes than he should be getting because they signed him to that ridiculous contract.

Dr. Gonzo
02-15-2011, 10:09 PM
I like Ian's game and I'm positive he'll be a serviceable player for someone in the near future. He will end up being a solid rotational big for someone in the mold of Serge Ibaka.

Dallas put themselves in a position where they have to play Haywood more minutes than he should be getting because they signed him to that ridiculous contract.

Well if you are positive he'll be serviceable then I'm sold.

ChuckD
02-15-2011, 10:29 PM
Agreed.

It's also nice to see and hear from all the "holier-than-thou", sarcastic, aristrocrats of ST. No thread can ever be legitimized unless it's blessed by their retorts.
I can 100% guarantee you that if there were no Ian threads, there would be no sarcastic retorts in them. You invite them by pining over a bottom 10% NBA player that's no longer here. You throw bait in the water, and then cry when the fish bite. WTF?

SenorSpur
02-15-2011, 10:45 PM
I can 100% guarantee you that if there were no Ian threads, there would be no sarcastic retorts in them. You invite them by pining over a bottom 10% NBA player that's no longer here. You throw bait in the water, and then cry when the fish bite. WTF?

Now, my day is officially complete. :lol

ChuckD
02-15-2011, 11:25 PM
Now, my day is officially complete. :lol

Like mine was the day they didn't pick up his option. :hat

underdawg
02-15-2011, 11:56 PM
Well if you are positive he'll be serviceable then I'm sold.

he'll only be able to accomplish that if he does well in practice - right coach gonzo?

I forgot to ask you how Tiago was doing in the Spurs' practices this year. I hope he's hustling and showing Pop that he wants to earn more playing time during their scrimmages - that is when he's healthy again.

underdawg
02-16-2011, 12:28 AM

to answer your question - every game that either player has played more than 20 minutes, Ian has better stats.

To the rest of the Ian haters (unbelievable - given how humble of a guy that he is) - where do you rank the Spurs' frontcourt over the past 4 years - top 5? top 10?

sorry, but Pops was a welcome sight because he didn't show fear - not because he could dunk. I think some Spurs fans were tired of the bigs getting their layups blocked time after time and wanted to see someone force a bucket instead. Pops had a short stint, but didn't do too bad - Gooden was better and that was the better option for the Spurs at that time it seems.

Ian is a really nice kid and I'm sorry if you get bent by his apologists, but the fact is that he's in a good enough situation that there's even a story to be written about him. Over the past 2 years, Ian has done the best he can when given the minutes - hard not to like a guy like that. I'm glad Ian has the opportunity he does this year, but I still wish he would have have done more with the Spurs.

I also can't say with certainty that our front court is formidable enough for the playoffs yet - I like what I see out of Blair, but Tiago's way behind and there IS NO FREAKING WAY THAT WE GO TO THE FINALS WITH MATT BONNER PLAYING 20 MPG IN THE PLAYOFFS. He's a 3 point shooter - not a big that's going to help our defense in the playoffs.

Dr. Gonzo
02-16-2011, 02:24 AM
he'll only be able to accomplish that if he does well in practice - right coach gonzo?

I forgot to ask you how Tiago was doing in the Spurs' practices this year. I hope he's hustling and showing Pop that he wants to earn more playing time during their scrimmages - that is when he's healthy again.

Absolutely. For an end of the bench player trying to earn some minutes, practice is where to go balls out and show the coach what is being learned and what you can bring. But for some reason none of you internet "coaches" that know better than a future hall of fame head coach seem to understand that basic principle.

So go ahead and come back with your "but he scored 19pts against the Nets that one time" argument.

Obstructed_View
02-16-2011, 02:24 AM
You gotta look at the minutes to tell me how many games Ian has played better than Haywood? Ok then do it?

They're putting up similar numbers for the season, but Mahinmi's doing it in half the minutes. Again, the only thing keeping Haywood in the rotation at all is his bloated contract.

jjktkk
02-16-2011, 02:50 AM
Mahimni will never go away on here. Maybe we need a Official All Ian, All The Time thread. :lol

Obstructed_View
02-16-2011, 03:50 AM
As bent out of shape as so many of you seem to get at a single thread, that would probably cause heads to explode.

ChumpDumper
02-16-2011, 04:10 AM
Were it only a single thread.

underdawg
02-16-2011, 07:19 AM
Absolutely. For an end of the bench player trying to earn some minutes, practice is where to go balls out and show the coach what is being learned and what you can bring. But for some reason none of you internet "coaches" that know better than a future hall of fame head coach seem to understand that basic principle.

So go ahead and come back with your "but he scored 19pts against the Nets that one time" argument.

Sorry, but I never been to a practice during the regular season - can you tell me what goes on during practice? You have been to the Spurs practices correct?

If I comment on one of Ian's games, it's because there is actual performance metrics instead of what I suppose happens during that game.

K-State Spur
02-16-2011, 08:59 AM

Ibaka did more at age 20 than Ian has done in any season up to age 24.

While I do think Ian can be a solid rotation guy, if you set the over/under of his best future season at Ibaka's age 21 (this) season - 9 pts, 7 reb, 2 blocks per game - I'm taking the under.

mingus
02-16-2011, 09:39 AM

or what about George Hill in his first year. Pop opted to go with Vaughn. How'd that work out? and was it because Hill did bad in practice...

Or Strephen Jacksn in his first year with SA. iirc he was on the IR the whole year. or Tiago this year.

Pop is a great coach, but he isn't infallable an his history has shown that quite clearly.

mingus
02-16-2011, 09:45 AM
half the people in this thread posting are morons and have no business trying to make a point. how many of you guys thought re-signing RJ was a good thing and would result in making the Spurs contenders this year? that's right. none of you bitches. so eat it and stfu and listen to the people who've gotten shit right the majority of the time like this guy. i don't mean to sound like a douchebag, but it's hilarious how convincing some of you guys try to sound when you've been wrong on close to everything. it's like, for some of you, being right about Ian is your last shred of hope to get something right. You're starting to see that that isn't the case and you got sand in your pussy now.

MannyIsGod
02-16-2011, 09:46 AM
as bent out of shape as so many of you seem to get at a single thread, that would probably cause heads to explode.

lol single thread

benefactor
02-16-2011, 09:47 AM
lol mad

MannyIsGod
02-16-2011, 09:51 AM
They're putting up similar numbers for the season, but Mahinmi's doing it in half the minutes. Again, the only thing keeping Haywood in the rotation at all is his bloated contract.

:lmao

I understand why you think Ian is in the rotation now. You actually have no concept of what numbers mean.

K-State Spur
02-16-2011, 09:57 AM
or what about George Hill in his first year. Pop opted to go with Vaughn. How'd that work out? and was it because Hill did bad in practice...

Or Strephen Jacksn in his first year with SA. iirc he was on the IR the whole year. or Tiago this year.

Pop is a great coach, but he isn't infallable an his history has shown that quite clearly.

Hill played 17 mpg as a rookie, appearing in 77 games (Vaughn only appeared in 30 games playing 9 mpg) - it's not like he was banished to the bench. Now, he didn't start off in the playoff rotation - which was a mistake, but we weren't beating Dallas without Manu regardless.

Jackson's first year wasn't a mistake, it was a success story. Coming off a troubled year in Jersey, he needed some time to just learn how to play the game and earn his stripes. I don't think there is a chance in hell that we get '03 Jax if we don't sit '02 Jax.

DMC
02-16-2011, 10:00 AM
Can we get a James White update?

ajh18
02-16-2011, 10:29 AM
Ian has the tools to be a solid 3rd big on many teams. Just not this one.

Can anyone honestly say he's better than any one of our five big men? Tiago is substantially more skilled than Ian... and he can barely crack the rotation.

I can't blame the front office for not wanting to spend the $4M (or whatever it was with the tax hit) to keep a guy around who would never see the floor.

Mel_13
02-16-2011, 10:34 AM
or what about George Hill in his first year. Pop opted to go with Vaughn.

One of the great ST myths.

mingus
02-16-2011, 10:35 AM
Hill played 17 mpg as a rookie, appearing in 77 games (Vaughn only appeared in 30 games playing 9 mpg) - it's not like he was banished to the bench. Now, he didn't start off in the playoff rotation - which was a mistake, but we weren't beating Dallas without Manu regardless.

Jackson's first year wasn't a mistake, it was a success story. Coming off a troubled year in Jersey, he needed some time to just learn how to play the game and earn his stripes. I don't think there is a chance in hell that we get '03 Jax if we don't sit '02 Jax.

did you watch that season or the playoffs that year? Hill played basically no minutes after the ASB and wasn't nearly prepared enough. His minutes look that way bec. he played most of his minutes early on in the season.

as for the playoffs, i don't buy that the Spurs would've lost. and you don't know what you're talking about with regard to Stephen Jackson because no one knew much about him that year, i was just bringing it up as a possibility.

mingus
02-16-2011, 10:36 AM

One of the great ST myths.

you going to explain why?

Mel_13
02-16-2011, 10:43 AM
did you watch that season or the playoffs that year? Hill played basically no minutes after the ASB and wasn't nearly prepared enough. His minutes look that way bec. he played most of his minutes early on in the season.

you going to explain why?

Simply put, it's not true.

George
Pre ASB- 49 of 51 games at 17.9 mpg
Post ASB- 28 of 31 games at 14.1 mpg

Vaughn
Pre-ASB- 18 of 51 games at10.8 mpg
Post-ASB- 12 of 31 games at 8.1 mpg

edited to change 48 to 49

K-State Spur
02-16-2011, 10:59 AM

Hill played in 28 games averaging 14 mpg post-all star break. A slight drop-off, but not much.

Quit making up evidence to support your points.

Edit: Just saw Mel beat me to the point - kudos.

mingus
02-16-2011, 01:15 PM
Well then my bad. I still think he should've played more though. And I don't buy that Mahinmi is a bad player.

jjktkk
02-16-2011, 03:01 PM
Well then my bad. I still think he should've played more though. And I don't buy that Mahinmi is a bad player.

Its not that Mahimni is a bad player, but I never could understand all the Pop hate for not playing/developing Mahimni, like Pop was wasting away a future all star in Mahimni on the bench. Maybe because the Spurs have been short of viable bigmen for the past few seasons, which also explains the angst over Splitter's development, but for a number of factors, Mahimni has never been anything more than a bigman project. Talented physically, but after several seasons, still nothing more than a backup big man. If Mahmin was still with the Spurs, he would never get off the bench, so hes in a good place with the Mavs.

yavozerb
02-16-2011, 03:09 PM

The problem is he is not a good player either, yet...At this point in his career he is simply a 4th or 5th big on a NBA roster.

MannyIsGod
02-16-2011, 09:56 PM
Hey since so many of you watch the Mavs games can you update me on how that Ian is ahead of Haywood declaration is working out?

ChumpDumper
02-16-2011, 10:20 PM
Talk all the shit you want, Manny. I bet he closes out this game.

MannyIsGod
02-16-2011, 10:34 PM

He's looking awesome with his 2 fouls and one turnovers and well, nothing else.

jjktkk
02-16-2011, 10:47 PM

He's looking awesome with his 2 fouls and one turnovers and well, nothing else.

I guess Carlisle is stunting Mahimni's growth back like Pop use to. :lol

coyotes_geek
02-16-2011, 10:53 PM
I guess Carlisle is stunting Mahimni's growth back like Pop use to. :lol

:lol It's a league-wide conspiracy.

MannyIsGod
02-16-2011, 10:55 PM
:lmao

Holy shit did Ian really foul out in less than 8 minutes in fucking garbage time?!?!??!?!

DesignatedT
02-16-2011, 10:58 PM
:lmao :lmao :lmao

DesignatedT
02-16-2011, 11:01 PM
Dude just fouled out in 7 minutes of play

EricB
02-16-2011, 11:22 PM
Where are the internet GM gurus on this one?

underdawg
02-16-2011, 11:33 PM

pipe down stubby - 6 fouls in 7 minutes is pretty darn efficient. He must have had a bet with one of his teamates on whether or not it could be done.

Dr. Gonzo
02-17-2011, 12:40 AM

They are all scrambling, trying to figure out how to blame it on Pop.

DesignatedT
02-17-2011, 12:41 AM

mattb_25
02-17-2011, 12:41 AM
I actually love the way he plays, he might of fouled out this game, but he usually does a really good job when he comes in before Haywood in certain games.

tuncaboylu
02-17-2011, 12:52 AM
I truely can't believe why this uncapable player deserved 5 pages in a thread.

EricB
02-17-2011, 02:03 AM

Ding ding ding

mingus
02-17-2011, 02:17 AM
Ian will get a chance at some point in the next few years and demonstrate his worth.

I have no clue why posters who are for and against what I said select a few games to "support" their opinion. It just makes them look stupid, esp. those who believe he sucks because these are the same people who already seem to think he sucks no questions asked and that the reason he sucks is because Pop didn't play him. I don't know what to think about that.

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-17-2011, 02:24 AM
One day he'll have a decent game against the Spurs and then all hell will break loose on ST.

tuncaboylu
02-17-2011, 02:36 AM
Ian will get a chance at some point in the next few years and demonstrate his worth.

I also believe that it will happen, but not in NBA.

Em-City
02-17-2011, 06:20 PM
this shit was so funny.... 7 mins! lol

awktalk
02-17-2011, 06:26 PM
Dude just fouled out in 7 minutes of play

That even tops Splitter's 4 fouls in 7 mins against the Lakers.

ChumpDumper
02-17-2011, 06:34 PM
Remember when I was castigated for calling Ian inconsistent?

DesignatedT
02-17-2011, 06:39 PM
The Ian homers are hilarious and have been for several years now. It seems they have gone to far with there predictions of Ian when he was here so now it's too late to turn back. Guy will be nothing but a 11th or 12th man his whole career. There is nothing wrong with that either but just stop hyping the guy and let it go.

It's the Ian homers checking the boxscores trying to make an "I told you so" "Pops an idiot" thread. The people who actually realize Ian is trash don't really care about the guy anymore until a thread like this pops up.