PDA

View Full Version : Lakers start new Network with Time Warner Cable

PGDynasty24
02-14-2011, 06:11 PM
The Lakers have struck a 20-year deal with Time Warner Cable to broadcast their games on two new regional sports networks, including the nation’s first Spanish-language regional sports network.
The deal will take effect in the 2012-13 season and was announced Monday — with the Lakers set to play in Charlotte’s Time Warner Cable Arena, appropriately enough.
“The Buss family is thrilled to join forces with Time Warner Cable in building the TV home for Lakers fans,” Lakers owner Jerry Buss said in a statement. “Time Warner Cable has been producing quality sports programming for over a decade and the Lakers have been producing championship seasons for even longer. I am particularly proud of being part of the first ever Spanish-language RSN in the country. Together I’m confident we will delight our fans.”
The deal promises to be a rich one for the high-profile Lakers, who have had their games on KCAL/9 and Fox Sports West.
“This long-term agreement represents a huge win for all Lakers fans, providing destination channels, more content and more platforms for the Lakers, one of the premier brands in professional sports today,” said Glenn Britt, Time Warner Cable’s Chairman and CEO.
There promises to be greater Lakers coverage with the new networks, which will be available to all providers in existing Lakers country, such as Southern California, Nevada and Hawaii. Besides the games, the networks would have other original Lakers programming.
Time Warner’s announcement promoted the following for Lakers fans:
The networks will include a number of elements custom-designed for Lakers fans, including:
§ A single destination where Lakers fans can find all locally-televised home and away games and a variety of new and original Lakers’ content featuring behind-the-scenes, personality and classic programming.
All Lakers games will be produced in high definition, with state-of-the-art technology and high production values in English & Spanish. The Spanish-language channel is a stand alone RSN with its own dedicated production of game telecasts and other unique content tailored to Spanish speaking Lakers fans – not a SAP feed.
All games will feature pre- and post-game shows produced separately in both English and Spanish.
A Lakers news and magazine show throughout the season.
Joint community-relations initiatives.
New online and on-demand multi-platform content featuring the Lakers.

http://lakers.ocregister.com/2011/02/14/lakers-to-start-new-network-with-time-warner-cable/49002/

This is going to make Dr. Buss a LOT of money

Dice
02-14-2011, 08:01 PM
That's a pretty cool idea. I'd wonder how they're going to fill time during the day though and in the off season?

Venti Quattro
02-14-2011, 08:01 PM
2013? They're going to be all over the Lakers' challenges for the draft lottery :lmao

Banzai
02-14-2011, 08:29 PM
So the Lakers leave Fox Sports West and KCAL..does that mean Lakers are only exclusive to Time Warner..or can Direct TV/Dish get the Laker station on their network?

Banzai
02-14-2011, 08:34 PM
oh well..Lakers in Charlotte is in most cases..an automatic loss.

LnGrrrR
02-14-2011, 08:38 PM
Smart move by Lakers management.

lefty
02-14-2011, 09:04 PM
What's the name of the Bobcats arena ?

:lmao

DMC
02-14-2011, 09:18 PM
What's the name of the Bobcats arena ?

:lmao

Lakerdoom... er dome

sribb43
02-14-2011, 09:42 PM
I'm sure TWC will hold out for a shit load of money from Directv and Dish bc they know the Lakers have a huge following and probably make up a majority of NBA League Pass' ratings

Killakobe81
02-14-2011, 09:49 PM
Smart move but why limit it to the Lakers local area? Or is that because they cant infringe on non local markets?

I would pay for that shit ...

And Venti is right we maybe lotto bound after kobe but once these salaries are shed we will be back ...we always are.

Mr. Body
02-14-2011, 09:50 PM
They already have a cable network. It's called ESPN.

Killakobe81
02-14-2011, 09:54 PM
They already have a cable network. It's called ESPN.

LOL touche ...but it's shared ...it's the LosBoston Heat Network ... ROFL

Killakobe81
02-14-2011, 10:11 PM
The way I see it the NBA LP folks should allow the Lakers to broadcast their games how they see fit. If the game is National they STILL main exclusive rights ....but if they pass on some of that income in to the League pass bucket ...that is a win for everybody.

Also the NBA should offer a pay for one team option. Paying for that whole package is greedy ...it's not like sunday Ticket because that is one day with a bunch of the games on th same day ...with LP you pay for sooo many teams you could care less about.

Whatever happened to the "a la carte" cable legislation?

sribb43
02-14-2011, 10:21 PM
The way I see it the NBA LP folks should allow the Lakers to broadcast their games how they see fit. If the game is National they STILL main exclusive rights ....but if they pass on some of that income in to the League pass bucket ...that is a win for everybody.

Also the NBA should offer a pay for one team option. Paying for that whole package is greedy ...it's not like sunday Ticket because that is one day with a bunch of the games on th same day ...with LP you pay for sooo many teams you could care less about.

Whatever happened to the "a la carte" cable legislation?

that will never happen....greedy bastards

Banzai
02-14-2011, 10:54 PM
Sorry..but I think this is fucked up..for the people who don't have cable..and now they can't even watch on a local station anymore. Fuck Time Warner...now and days its all about greed. I remember when MNF was on ABC..now its on ESPN.. So now people who don't have cable need to get cable to watch their home team? fuck that. Thank goodness for the internets.

Trainwreck2100
02-15-2011, 12:03 AM
im confused though, because NBA LP has the ability to run 2 different feeds, so if the lakers network holds out for more more the NBA can say piss off and just show the Lakers but with the other teams feed.

j.dizzle
02-15-2011, 10:45 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/The-Lakers-sign-a-reported-3-billion-deal-for-o?urn=nba-321818

Dwight & D.Will gonna love it out here.:lol
e8PTGHXBiYM

DJ Mbenga
02-15-2011, 11:31 PM
this means kcal will no longer broadcast games. the games will all be for satellite or cable. for me this is great news. no more jim hill. that piece of trash needs to die.

Banzai
02-15-2011, 11:37 PM
this means kcal will no longer broadcast games. the games will all be for satellite or cable. for me this is great news. no more jim hill. that piece of trash needs to die.

So when it goes to Satellite does that mean it will be in the channel line up? or will you have to add it like say...an hbo channel?