PDA

View Full Version : Coach Pop: 'We retired Avery's jersey so he'd get off our case'

duncan228
02-15-2011, 12:13 AM
:lol

In his pregame meeting with reporters, Popovich made it clear Johnson wasn’t going to make it out of the Prudential Center without taking a good-natured ribbing.

“I just want to kick his butt,” Popovich said. “I didn’t think he was that good anyway. He ordered me around and told me what to do everyday. We retired his jersey so he’d get off our case.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/02/14/ginobili-back-in-starting-lineup/

TampaDude
02-15-2011, 12:23 AM
Always gonna have love for AJ, though...1999 NBA Finals...Game 5...corner J...Spurs win...'nuff said... :hat

Still funny that Pop still breaks his balls, though... :lol

honestfool84
02-15-2011, 12:34 AM
:lol that's hilarious!

senorglory
02-15-2011, 01:19 AM
A.J. had this to say today, about rebuilding the Nets:

“It really is a process, and for me, that’s why I wanted to take on this task and be part of rebuilding a team and organization from inside out. That was the beauty of this challenge. It’s something I haven’t done before as a coach, but I was part of a rebuilding process as a player during that time when we won 20 games with the Spurs, which eventually led to Tim Duncan. I’ve seen it before, been part of it before. I know it can work.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/02/14/nets-coach-pounding-the-rock/

That's pretty inaccurate, I think.

baseline bum
02-15-2011, 01:32 AM
A.J. had this to say today, about rebuilding the Nets:

“It really is a process, and for me, that’s why I wanted to take on this task and be part of rebuilding a team and organization from inside out. That was the beauty of this challenge. It’s something I haven’t done before as a coach, but I was part of a rebuilding process as a player during that time when we won 20 games with the Spurs, which eventually led to Tim Duncan. I’ve seen it before, been part of it before. I know it can work.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/02/14/nets-coach-pounding-the-rock/

That's pretty inaccurate, I think.

It seems more like the PC way of saying I played on a team that sucked monkey fuck.

King
02-15-2011, 08:54 AM
I don't know if I'd call it a 'rebuilding process' when it's only because your two star players had season ending injuries.

TampaDude
02-15-2011, 09:15 AM
It seems more like the PC way of saying I played on a team that sucked monkey fuck.

It seems more like the PC way of saying I played on a team that tanked to get a top lottery pick. :lol

Mr. Body
02-15-2011, 09:29 AM
It seems more like the PC way of saying I played on a team that tanked to get a top lottery pick.

... and already had a number of top players who weren't playing at that time.

703 Spurz
02-15-2011, 09:46 AM
I don't know if I'd call it a 'rebuilding process' when it's only because your two star players had season ending injuries.

True. You don't rebuild once the season already started. That year they had no choice since D-Rob and Elliott were both out. Silly AJ

Rummpd
02-15-2011, 10:48 AM
Thats AJ speak for he would have won anyway or some such junk. Some love AJ but personally not fond of him, believe he actually probably cost the SAS some title chances (teams just collapsed on him and he never improved his shot ala Parker even though to be fair - he hit a semi miracle shot to win a key playoff game), and remember some locker room battles he had with Rose and others.

I hope he is not the future Spurs coach personally.

SenorSpur
02-15-2011, 12:23 PM
Thats AJ speak for he would have won anyway or some such junk. Some love AJ but personally not fond of him, believe he actually probably cost the SAS some title chances (teams just collapsed on him and he never improved his shot ala Parker even though to be fair - he hit a semi miracle shot to win a key playoff game), and remember some locker room battles he had with Rose and others.

I hope he is not the future Spurs coach personally.

I'm not a fan of him either. I loved his intensity and leadership, but didn't like is backroom politicking and rumored backstabbing.

As much as Pop loves and demands shooting, it's amazing to me that he ever allowed AJ to even play for him.

Seventyniner
02-15-2011, 03:40 PM
I'm not a fan of him either. I loved his intensity and leadership, but didn't like is backroom politicking and rumored backstabbing.

As much as Pop loves and demands shooting, it's amazing to me that he ever allowed AJ to even play for him.

Maybe AJ's lack of shooting ability is what led Pop to prize it.

That, and having one of the best low post scorers in the league.

DMC
02-15-2011, 04:29 PM
"We gotta pick n roll Pop, pick N roll"

Viva Las Espuelas
02-15-2011, 04:32 PM
Always gonna have love for AJ, though...1999 NBA Finals...Game 5...corner J...Spurs win...'nuff said... :hat

Still funny that Pop still breaks his balls, though... :lol

We won the series 4-1. If anything, blame him we didn't go home and win it in front of the fans.

After what Pop said and how I've always felt about him, Piss on AJ. Piss alllllllllll over that prick. I'm shooting spitballs at his jersey next game I go to.

Sec24Row7
02-15-2011, 05:06 PM
AJ is ok....

His wife?

Not so much. She actually told one of the wives of a spurs VIP that her husband made enough money to dress her better than she was dressed.

Fucking Bitch.

jjktkk
02-15-2011, 05:21 PM

Never actually thought AJ was a starting pg, but he was a tough, vocal, leader, and would not make alot of mistakes on the floor. If you remember, after they got rid of Strickland, the Spurs FO spent pretty much the rest of the 90's looking for starting pg. The Spur's FO seemed to be pinching pennies back then and always were trying to get a starting caliber pg on the cheap.

DMC
02-15-2011, 11:56 PM
If you ever see the David Robinson HOF speech, look at the woman sitting behind Valerie and tell me that's not Avery in drag.