PDA

View Full Version : 1997 Draft fun fact

Flux451
02-15-2011, 01:23 AM
Somehow came about 1997 draft through immense boredom and delirium. They should show old footage of Timmy at Rookie Camp, a la AMAZING commercials and have each of these guys step into the shot and spit the same foreshadowing spiel...

...or not.

Tim Duncan was drafted along with 7 other future Spurs' teammates.

#4 Antonio Daniels
#6 Ron Mercer
#12 Austin Chrosere
#13 Derek Anderson
#26 Charles Smith
#27 Jacque Vaughn
#43 Stephen Jackson

FUN!

TDMVPDPOY
02-15-2011, 03:22 AM
if td didnt declared for the draft and declared in earlier years

who would the spurs had drafted that season? KVH? lmao

Texas_Ranger
02-15-2011, 05:35 AM
lol @ some of those picks

2. KVH
4. A.Daniels
5. Tony Battie
6. Ron Mercer
8. Adonal Foyle
10. Danny Fortson....

K-State Spur
02-15-2011, 08:34 AM

Interesting question. No way to know because Pop pretty much made it clear that they wanted Duncan and weren't trading the pick about a grand total of 3 seconds after winning the lottery.

Billups was highly regarded and PG was a position that we needed to address in the near future - so that might have been the best case scenario (although it took him some time and even a trade to eventually find his game).

Definitely nobody (other than Duncan) in that draft who wins the Spurs a championship.

It's probably fair to say that if the Spurs don't win that lottery and/or if Duncan leaves prior to his senior year (he was projected as the #1 overall pick after his JR and SO years, and as a top 5 pick after his FR season), San Antonio may not even have a team today.

Mr. Body
02-15-2011, 09:50 AM
I totally forgot we had Austin Croshere for, like, three days.

TampaDude
02-15-2011, 11:00 AM
Definitely nobody (other than Duncan) in that draft who wins the Spurs a championship.

It's probably fair to say that if the Spurs don't win that lottery and/or if Duncan leaves prior to his senior year (he was projected as the #1 overall pick after his JR and SO years, and as a top 5 pick after his FR season), San Antonio may not even have a team today.

I shudder to think what might (not) have been.

Blake
02-15-2011, 11:01 AM

The 1997 draft sucked. Only 3 future all-stars came out of it: Tim, Billups and TMac.

Compare it to the 1996 draft with 10 all stars, 4 future hall of famers and Marcus Camby

Bito Corleone
02-15-2011, 11:14 AM

Probably Ron Mercer of Tony Battie...and our team would have been sold 2 years later.

will_spurs
02-15-2011, 12:35 PM
The 1997 draft sucked. Only 3 future all-stars came out of it: Tim, Billups and TMac.

One is a lock for the HoF, and the 2 others will get consideration, though (T-Mac will probably go in, even though Billups deserves it more). And S-Jax had a few seasons where he could have been an All-Star.

But it's clear that some drafts are a lot worse than others: 2003 was the 1996 of that decade.

Blake
02-15-2011, 01:19 PM
One is a lock for the HoF, and the 2 others will get consideration, though (T-Mac will probably go in, even though Billups deserves it more). And S-Jax had a few seasons where he could have been an All-Star.

I doubt TMac gets in. I don't think Billups gets any kind of real consideration, but you never know.

TDMVPDPOY
02-15-2011, 06:16 PM

But it's clear that some drafts are a lot worse than others: 2003 was the 1996 of that decade.

man if only jax stayed here and win a few more rings, maybe he couldve had his jersey retired here also...

FromWayDowntown
02-15-2011, 06:56 PM
I can remember there was upheaval in some corners of Spurs Nation that Pop wouldn't trade the pick (presumptively Duncan, no matter who exercised it) and get the 2 top 6 picks that Boston had. I vividly recall the thought of those who advocated such a move to be that the Spurs already had a great big man in David Robinson and needed guard/wing help.

There were also suggestions that the Spurs should use the pick to get an All-Star vet.

Hard to imagine where we'd be now had either viewpoint managed to prevail.

lefty
02-15-2011, 06:59 PM
CROFL Celtics

lefty
02-15-2011, 06:59 PM
http://sportingnews.printstown.com/ProdImages/2007_05_21_TIM_DUNCAN_LARGE.JPG

baseline bum
02-15-2011, 07:58 PM

Ah KVH :lol ... the late 90s NBA's answer to Benoit Benjamin.

baseline bum
02-15-2011, 08:01 PM
I can remember there was upheaval in some corners of Spurs Nation that Pop wouldn't trade the pick (presumptively Duncan, no matter who exercised it) and get the 2 top 6 picks that Boston had. I vividly recall the thought of those who advocated such a move to be that the Spurs already had a great big man in David Robinson and needed guard/wing help.

There were also suggestions that the Spurs should use the pick to get an All-Star vet.

I can't imagine anyone who ever saw Duncan at Wake could ever think that. I remember the media hyping the idea a lot, but I can't recall anyone I knew who really followed basketball then who wanted to trade the pick.

baseline bum
02-15-2011, 08:04 PM
Of course, the retard media also hyped the thought of the Spurs just handing Robinson over to LA or Boston in 87 also.

Blake
02-15-2011, 09:54 PM

I don't remember that viewpoint at all.

I do remember Sean Ellliottttt talking about watching the ping pong ball come up and him jumping up and down knowing he was going to have Duncan come here.

Dr. Gonzo
02-15-2011, 09:55 PM
Wow that was a fun fact. I had fun reading it.