PDA

View Full Version : How can Mavs win so many games?

spursbird
02-15-2011, 08:27 AM
I know Nowitzki shot about 55% and averaged about 25 before he hurt. But After he hurt and so did Caron Butler, why can they still win more games than the Lakers? They have the oldest rotation among the league.
And also I found that many of their wins are very close(or very fluke)
Nov 4 102:101 Nuggets
Nov 9 89:87 Celtics
Nov 16 98:95 Hornets
Dec 5 105:103 Kings
Dec 21 98:96 Heat
Jan 5 84:81 Blazers
Jan 23 87:86 Nets
Feb 8 99:96 Cavaliers
Feb 10 102:100 Kings
What I listed above is the games in which they won by 3- pts. Actually, there are 16 games in which they won by 5- pts. In comparison, there are 10 games in which Spurs won by 5- pts.
I always wonder why Mavs can do well in clutch time.:rolleyes

ChuckD
02-15-2011, 08:34 AM
Because it's the regular season. Check back in April/May.

Spur_Fanatic
02-15-2011, 09:00 AM
Mavs are good. They actually are pretty good in the closing.
They just have that... reputation cause of past events.

Crytek
02-15-2011, 09:08 AM
Pretty simple. They get up by 20 in all of these games with Defense+Transition+Hot Jumpshooting, until they're bored, then let the other team come back by doing the exact opposite. They execute in the last 2 minutes.

They're overaged Adrenalin-junkies. Kinda like all the famous Pokerplayers that bust early at the WSOP Main Event every year.

Phillip
02-15-2011, 09:19 AM
Pretty simple. They get up by 20 in all of these games with Defense+Transition+Hot Jumpshooting, until they're bored, then let the other team come back by doing the exact opposite. They execute in the last 2 minutes.

They're overaged Adrenalin-junkies. Kinda like all the famous Pokerplayers that bust early at the WSOP Main Event every year.

this pretty much hits the nail on the head

they often get big leads then seem to get bored and play lazy

badfish22
02-15-2011, 10:04 AM
Championships don't lie

TampaDude
02-15-2011, 10:18 AM
Because the Mavs are a good team. Good teams win the close games.

Frankly, I'm more worried about the Mavs than the Lakers in the playoffs.

Rummpd
02-15-2011, 10:39 AM
They have a relatively low point differential but they have also beat many good teams and they are no fluke they are simply still a deep, well coached and talented team led by a legit superstar in Dirk with good size and a savy point guard that at one time was one of the best ever.

They could well take out LAL in the 2nd round and if they have HCA will place a bet in Vegas on it as I am out there before that series.

Phillip
02-15-2011, 11:04 AM
the mavs tend to play down to their competition. i dont know exactly why. my guess is because they are older, and dont care to keep pedal to the metal all game long like younger guys can. gotta save it more for the playoffs. its aggravating, but when they go out and beat the good teams consistently like they do, and consistently close out games when needed, i cant really complain.

they still have plenty of work to do from here till the playoffs, getting roddy incorporated, and figuring out the starting lineup after he and Peja gets going. they either need to start Roddy and Marion, or Stevenson and Peja.

badfish22
02-15-2011, 11:09 AM
We don't win by much, but we also don't get blown out:
"The Bobcats beat the Lakers 109-89. The Lakers had played 99 consecutive regular-season games without losing by 20 or more points, which was the longest current streak of its kind among NBA teams. That distinction now belongs to the Mavericks, who have played 69 straight regular-season games without losing by 20+ points."