PDA

View Full Version : Chances Pop Wins COY?

VI_Massive
02-15-2011, 05:34 PM
It usually goes to the coach of a superior team and SA seems that way this year, plus there's the narrative of Pop transitioning the team from the old 4-down and defense tactics to a more guard-oriented attack to reflect a changing roster. That's a pretty good case, I think.

Where do you guys put the chances of his winning?

Other coaches I could see winning:

- Thibodeau if Chicago catches the second seed in the East for his defensive changes and getting more out of D-Rose and overcoming injuries to Noah and Boozer.

- Doug Collins for turning around Philly and making them a really good defensive team with some promising young talent. Took basically the same roster as last year other than Hawes and made them a playoff team.

- Carlisle if Dallas wins the second seed in the West because of great D and overcoming injuries.

- Spoelstra for overcoming the crushing burden of two superstars and one very good player. If MIA wins the East.

- Monty Williams for turning NOLA into a defensive force despite a thin roster. Also kept CP3 out of trade talks for a while.

- Nate McMillan for winning despite lots of injuries.

I'd handicap the odds at:

Pop 1:2
Spoelstra 3:1
Collins 3:1
Thibodeau 5:1
Williams 5:1
Carlisle 10:1
McMillan 10:1

honestfool84
02-15-2011, 05:38 PM
i think he has a great shot at winning it.

he probably doesn't care... but i'd like for him to win it. COY and a Championship in 2011 for Pop? yes, thank you.

DesignatedT
02-15-2011, 05:39 PM
If the season ended today then he would definitely win. If we start dropping games and the Heat or Bulls finish on a tear then it could change in favor of Thibideou or Spoelstra although pretty unlikely. He should win it.

coyotes_geek
02-15-2011, 05:41 PM
It's a 2 horse race between Pop & Thibodeau.

honestfool84
02-15-2011, 05:42 PM
as a fan (and Pop would probably agree with me...): :lobt:>>>>> COY

lefty
02-15-2011, 05:47 PM
I think so

Because no Spurs player will win the MVP award

Thibodeau is also a good candidate

I can see R.C winning the MOY

coyotes_geek
02-15-2011, 05:49 PM
I can see R.C winning the MOY

No chance whatsoever. Pat Riley has that one locked up.

Bito Corleone
02-15-2011, 05:52 PM
Excellent chance...like 98% chance. Most "expert" analyst didn't even have the Spurs getting HCA in the first round of the playoffs. Now they're threatening 70 wins. Don't think they'll get there, but still. I think he's a lock.

Bito Corleone
02-15-2011, 05:53 PM
as a fan (and Pop would probably agree with me...): :lobt:>>>>> COY

I don't think anyone will disagree with you there.

honestfool84
02-15-2011, 05:58 PM

:lol

rayray2k8
02-15-2011, 06:43 PM
Pop will probably win it.... Doubt he care though.

Mr. Body
02-15-2011, 07:54 PM
I think he's practically a shoo-in.

Seventyniner
02-15-2011, 08:21 PM

Then he would need to cut the trophy in 3 and give the pieces to Wade, James, and Bosh. Riley had about as much to do with those 3 teaming up as Stan Van Gundy had to do with the Heat title in 2006.

I Heart Ginobili
02-15-2011, 09:08 PM
according to my calculations 73.128%

oh and chances he gives a shit: .02429%

JR3
02-15-2011, 09:09 PM
55% shot at winning

honestfool84
02-15-2011, 09:33 PM
76% of statistics are made up on the spot.

with that being said, i think - statistically - that there is an 80% chance he'll win it all.

hitmanyr2k
02-15-2011, 09:43 PM
It usually goes to the coach of a superior team and SA seems that way this year, plus there's the narrative of Pop transitioning the team from the old 4-down and defense tactics to a more guard-oriented attack to reflect a changing roster. That's a pretty good case, I think.

- Thibodeau if Chicago catches the second seed in the East for his defensive changes and getting more out of D-Rose and overcoming injuries to Noah and Boozer.

- Doug Collins for turning around Philly and making them a really good defensive team with some promising young talent. Took basically the same roster as last year other than Hawes and made them a playoff team.

- Carlisle if Dallas wins the second seed in the West because of great D and overcoming injuries.

- Spoelstra for overcoming the crushing burden of two superstars and one very good player. If MIA wins the East.

- Monty Williams for turning NOLA into a defensive force despite a thin roster. Also kept CP3 out of trade talks for a while.

If the Bulls secure at least the 2nd seed in the East Thibs got it locked.

Spur|n|Austin
02-15-2011, 09:59 PM
I'd say it's a done deal.

DJ Mbenga
02-15-2011, 11:33 PM
pop really needs an injury for him to win it. thibedau has it locked up with monty williams second. spurs have been extremely healthy. a rookie coach without his frontline is now second on the east. i think he or hornets coach has it.

awktalk
02-15-2011, 11:52 PM
His chances of not winning CoY are the same odds as Splitter making a 3 pointer this season.

TD 21
02-16-2011, 12:16 AM
pop really needs an injury for him to win it. thibedau has it locked up with monty williams second. spurs have been extremely healthy. a rookie coach without his frontline is now second on the east. i think he or hornets coach has it.

You mean, like the Thunder were last season? Didn't stop Brooks from winning the award.

I hear all this talk about how healthy the Spurs have been and none about the Lakers. Bynum was out to start the season, but other than that, they've had Barnes out for a stretch and Ratliff (who's not in the rotation anyway) out for most of the season. That's it. So it's not exactly like they've been decimated, either.

mathbzh
02-16-2011, 02:24 AM
I don't know about the odds but he deserves it.

- The Spurs don't have a MVP candidate.
- The Spurs have only two All-Star. One of them being selected thanks to the team record and his career achievements.
- Big 3 is playing lowest minutes of any big 3 in the league.
- Reshaped offense.
- At this point, the Spurs have one of the best record ever.
- Coaching highlights (like that Duncan wide open dunk against the Bucks)

Obstructed_View
02-16-2011, 02:38 AM
The only individual award I'm hoping someone from the Spurs wins is Finals MVP, and I don't care if it's Matt Bonner who wins it.

Brutalis
02-16-2011, 03:19 AM
The only individual award I'm hoping someone from the Spurs wins is Finals MVP, and I don't care if it's Matt Bonner who wins it.
This.

DBMethos
02-16-2011, 07:39 AM

Y'know, if we end up meeting Boston in the Finals, that's not a totally preposterous suggestion! We all know that Matty loves to save some of his biggest games for the Gah-den.

K-State Spur
02-16-2011, 08:56 AM

I'd handicap the odds at:

Pop 1:2
Spoelstra 3:1
Collins 3:1
Thibodeau 5:1
Williams 5:1
Carlisle 10:1
McMillan 10:1

So you give Pop a 67% chance of winning.
Spoelstra 25%.
Collins 25%.
Thibodeau 17%.
Williams 17%.
Carlisle 9%.
McMillan 9%.

So there is a 169% chance that somebody in this group is going to win coach of the year.

(I know, Vegas does this too when handicapping, I've just always found it funny)

fyatuk
02-16-2011, 08:56 AM
If the Spurs keep winning close to 85% of their games, Pop will definitely get it. Everyone keeps saying the Spurs are playing over their heads (meaning they don't think the talent is there to support this kind of record), so if they keep it up, it must be the coaching, right ;)

I say if the Spurs end up winning 66+ games, Pop has it in the bag. Otherwise, it'll go to Thibodeau.

DieHardSpursFan1537
02-16-2011, 09:32 AM
He easily could.

coyotes_geek
02-16-2011, 10:26 AM
Then he would need to cut the trophy in 3 and give the pieces to Wade, James, and Bosh. Riley had about as much to do with those 3 teaming up as Stan Van Gundy had to do with the Heat title in 2006.

Irrelevant. It's an NBA award. Style trumps substance more often than not.

21_Blessings
02-16-2011, 12:42 PM
Makes sense. After the Spurs flame out of the playoffs despite HCA and with Duncan on the verge of retirement it's buh bye Pop. COY is basically a NBA coach's eulogy at this point.

Crytek
02-16-2011, 02:28 PM
Has anybody ever heard of the Coach-of-the-Year Curse?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2796/4101802379_1bc1f19e47_o.gif

wontstartdumbthreads
02-16-2011, 02:33 PM

No. But I have heard that in some cases of an obstructed bowel, you can actually vomit up feces.

gospursgojas
02-16-2011, 02:39 PM
Pop and Thibs are the only 2 I think are in the running right now.

coyotes_geek
02-16-2011, 02:44 PM

Yep. Remember that time Gregg Popovich won it and then got fired?

VI_Massive
02-16-2011, 02:46 PM
Don't sleep on Doug Collins! They have basically the same team as last year except for Jodie Meeks and Spencer Hawes instead of Dalembert at C. They're playing great defense, which is usually indicative of strong coaching, and I think the writers and broadcasters might have some extra love in their hearts for one of their own now back in the coaching fold. I still think Pop is the favorite, especially if SA keeps running away with the overall #1 seed, but I see Collins as #2.

baseline bum
02-16-2011, 02:55 PM
I think Pop has the award on lockdown if the Spurs win 62+ games. No one saw this coming after the way the team had fallen off from 08-10.

coyotes_geek
02-16-2011, 03:21 PM
Don't sleep on Doug Collins! They have basically the same team as last year except for Jodie Meeks and Spencer Hawes instead of Dalembert at C. They're playing great defense, which is usually indicative of strong coaching, and I think the writers and broadcasters might have some extra love in their hearts for one of their own now back in the coaching fold. I still think Pop is the favorite, especially if SA keeps running away with the overall #1 seed, but I see Collins as #2.

Collins has done a good job, no doubt. But I can't see him winning it when Pop's & Thib's teams are probably going to end up with 25+/- & 15+/- more wins than Doug's team will.

smrattler
02-16-2011, 03:54 PM
This year's turnaround is all-Pop!

boutons_deux
02-16-2011, 03:57 PM
Pop's turnaround from 4-down-and-defense-first to run-and-gun outscoring them certainly merits coaching honors, respect.

DMC
02-16-2011, 06:47 PM
I doubt a team that made the playoffs every year since forever, and makes them them year, will have a COY award. Those generally go out to best improvement in record. What team is suddenly doing much better? The Bulls. The Heat are as well, but I don't know if anyone will attribute that to coaching.

Tight though and I think Pop deserves it for the ability to actually win games with players no one else even thought about.

Cane
02-16-2011, 06:51 PM
Either Pop or Thibs. It should be favoring Pop though imo. He revamped the Spurs system, trained with RJ over the summer, and is on pace to setting one hell of a record and HCA throughout the playoffs while closely monitoring their minutes.

What Thibs has done is impressive as well considering he's a first year head coach and they have a great record. But they also play in the weakest division in the NBA IIRC whereas the Spurs are in the toughest FWIW.

Obstructed_View
02-16-2011, 07:01 PM
Yep. Remember that time Gregg Popovich won it and then got fired?

:lmao :clap

baseline bum
02-16-2011, 07:03 PM
I doubt a team that made the playoffs every year since forever, and makes them them year, will have a COY award. Those generally go out to best improvement in record. What team is suddenly doing much better? The Bulls. The Heat are as well, but I don't know if anyone will attribute that to coaching.

Tight though and I think Pop deserves it for the ability to actually win games with players no one else even thought about.

You could have said the same about 03 when Pop won it.

DMC
02-16-2011, 08:51 PM
The COY "curse" is just a trend where bad teams hire a new coach, they get a 1st overall and make a big push. They do well a couple of years and suddenly the coach isn't making the team better. He gets fired (AJ, MB) and so it goes.

If COY actually went to the best coach instead of the team with the best record improvement, that curse wouldn't exist.

duncan228
03-22-2011, 11:21 PM
Just Coach Pop's write-up, hit the link for the rest.

Award Watch: Coach Of The Year (http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=19199)
By: Stephen Brotherston
Hoopsworld

There is only three weeks left to go in the regular season and the candidates for Coach of the Year are only entrenching their positions further. San Antonio Spurs' head coach Gregg Popovich continues to be chased by Doc Rivers, Tom Thibodeau, and surprisingly, Doug Collins.

The Spurs managed to widen their lead over the entire NBA by half a game last week, and despite Tim Duncan having to rest a sore ankle, it is becoming increasingly unlikely anyone can catch them.

#1 Gregg Popovich, San Antonio Spurs, 57-13, Pace-to-win 67, last year: 50-32
(Last week #1, 54-13)

The Spurs have reeled off another three wins in a row making them the toughest team to beat after a loss in the NBA this season. The only back-to-back losses Coach Popovich has experienced were in back-to-back road games on an east coast swing in January.

However, for the second time this season Coach Popovich will be without one of his star players after Tim Duncan went down with an ankle injury on Monday night in a game against the Warriors.

"X-rays were negative, but he'll obviously be out a while," said Popovich after the game.

Popovich has been managing Duncan's minutes all season and a forced rest period probably only makes it easier to sit the Spurs' All-Star heading into what should be another strong playoff run. This shouldn't significantly impact how many regular season wins Popovich can accumulate.

Coach Popovich has taken last year's 50-win team to first place overall in the NBA and a projected 67-win season, COY remains his to lose.

#2 Doc Rivers, Boston Celtics, 50-19, Pace-to-win 59, last year: 50-32
(Last week #2, 47-18)

#3 Tom Thibodeau, Chicago Bulls, 50-19, Pace-to-win 59, last year: 41-41, (Vinny Del Negro)
(Last week: #3, 47-18)

#4 Doug Collins, Philadelphia 76ers, 36-34, Pace-to-win 42, last year: 27-55 (Eddie Jordan)
(Last week: #4, 34-32)

#5 Lionel Hollins, Memphis Grizzlies, 39-32, Pace-to-win 45, last year: 40-42
(Last week: #5, 37-31)

Honorable Mentions

Monty Williams, New Orleans Hornets, 40-31, Pace-to-win 46, last year: 37-45, (Bryon Scott/ Jeff Bower)
(Last week: Honorable Mention, 39-30)

Rick Carlisle, Dallas Mavericks, 49-21, Pace-to-win 57, last year: 55-27
(Last week: Honorable Mention, 47-19)

Notes:

The NBA Coach of the Year (COY) is selected at the end of the regular season by a media panel whose members each cast votes for their first, second and third place choices.

HOOPSWORLD is ranking the COY race based on how the coach's team is performing against last year's record, this year's preseason expectations, and on how they are handling adversity during the season. A strong winning record is almost mandatory, but merely meeting already high expectations will not be enough. There is only a slight chance of a lottery bound coach winning this award.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=19199

tuncaboylu
03-23-2011, 01:28 AM
+1

Spoelstra can't win if he can't get the 1st place in East with that roster and it's unlikely.
Doug Collins did something good but not enough for me. Winning 42-43 games in a season while playing 4 times against Cavs, Wizards, Raptors and Nets didn't impress me at all.

Thibodeau is the only rival of Pop for that prize.

Splits
03-23-2011, 01:40 AM
If Pop doesn't win it this year, it will be a crime against humanity. Much like Ghaddafi's actions.

itzsoweezee
03-23-2011, 01:52 AM
0%. Thibs is winning it, no question. First year coaching and he's got the best team in the east (and probably the league) and the best defense in the NBA. Derrick Rose is playing defense. Bogans is in the starting lineup and they're still winning. They've been plagued by injuries all year without much detriment. Come on

DJ Mbenga
03-23-2011, 01:55 AM
thibs or collins. suprised nobody is talking about them. they started out 1-9 look at their record now

wijayas
03-23-2011, 03:32 AM

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2796/4101802379_1bc1f19e47_o.gif

Yep. I wish Pop did not win.
Look what happened to AJ after a 67-win season with Dallas! :lol :lol :lol

will_spurs
03-23-2011, 06:00 AM
I'm pretty sure Thibodeau will get it, all the more because it's obvious the Bulls look NOTHING like previous years. There's a defensive mindset on the team that clearly finds its roots with the coach, and truth be told their defensive rotations are simply beautiful to watch.

Of course if Pop was a newcomer in the league he would get the award, but at this stage in his career, with 4 rings and a clear lock for the HoF, Pop would have to bring a team of scrubs to the best record, or a team to 72 wins, to get the awared. I hope I'm wrong, though, since he clearly deserves it.

Em-City
03-23-2011, 08:04 AM
thibs for sure... although pop probably deserves it.

20beastie45
03-23-2011, 08:22 AM
I would like for POP to win COY....for some reason I think Bulls coach will win it..

Go (Defensive)POP!!!!!

Jimcs50
03-23-2011, 08:47 AM

:toast

Warlord23
03-23-2011, 09:03 AM
If Pop secures the best record in the league somewhat comfortably w/o Duncan, and the Bulls don't get the #1 seed in the East, then Pop is the favorite. Otherwise its Thibodeau.

Drachen
03-23-2011, 09:28 AM
I am pretty sure there is no chance that Pop wins it. It belongs to Thibodeau at this point. Chicago would have to go on a pretty impressive losing streak for him to not win it.

Old School 44
03-23-2011, 10:44 AM
Pop or Thibs. Both are deserving.

JR3
03-23-2011, 11:17 AM
I think the bulls coach gets it. I think everyone outside spursland has gotten use to the idea of ignoring the spurs and their #1 overall record. The days of people picking us not to make the playoffs this year are so far back in their memory. Pop is not the sexy pick. But he should get it. Wouldn't suprise me if he didn't.

Budkin
03-23-2011, 11:58 AM
He's got a great shot to win it.

itzsoweezee
03-27-2011, 10:24 PM
lolololololol

Budkin
03-27-2011, 10:25 PM
He's got a great shot to win it.

He has no shot to win it.

hitmanyr2k
03-27-2011, 10:29 PM
If Pop secures the best record in the league somewhat comfortably w/o Duncan, and the Bulls don't get the #1 seed in the East, then Pop is the favorite. Otherwise its Thibodeau.

Bulls are now only 3 games back of the Spurs for best record and have had many more injuries to deal over the course of the season. I think it's a no-brainer that barring another serious injury on the team Thibs will be coach of the year. It's not helping Pop's case the way the Spurs are winding down the season.

Ice009
03-27-2011, 10:43 PM
Bulls are now only 3 games back of the Spurs for best record and have had many more injuries to deal over the course of the season. I think it's a no-brainer that barring another serious injury on the team Thibs will be coach of the year. It's not helping Pop's case the way the Spurs are winding down the season.

Bulls coach got my vote a few days ago.

Spursmania
03-27-2011, 10:45 PM
Pops or Thibs.

Sean Cagney
03-28-2011, 12:22 AM
POP FUCK NO, After these three games without TIMMAY? NOPE! BONNER PLAYING MORE NOPE! Bulls coach, easily.

Yep, and we see how that is working out now! A 7 game lead is not only 4 now with 9 left but leaving us fast! SHYT TO FUCKING HELL it came up quickly!

Cessation
03-28-2011, 04:55 AM
I agree, Thibs totally deserves it. He's doing such a great job while still being a rookie head coach.

polandprzem
03-28-2011, 06:27 AM
Does this team has anybody they can rely on?

Tom will get the COY and Rose MVP - Bulls are gonna get out of the East!

Lakers ate SPAM and Pop got sick because of it

Fireball
03-28-2011, 09:59 AM
Give the award to Tom ... Bulls had various injuries (Boozer and Noah) and are now very close record wise to the Spurs. Of course the rookie coach should get the award over a coach who has won 50+ games for the last 12 seasons.

And fuck Coach Pop for a bad coaching job the last 3 games ... I love Pop, but that sucked big time