PDA

View Full Version : How do the 2011 spurs matchup against...

scottspurs
02-15-2011, 07:12 PM
http://whatifsports.com/beyondtheboxscore/default.asp?article=2011NBA_Spurs

How do the 2011 Spurs matchup against their other great championship teams of the past?

Article is old, but I haven't seen it posted here so go ahead an move this if there is already a thread.

The site the article is on generates simulations based on stats. It has this years team beating the 1999, 2005, and 2007 spurs a majority of the time based on simulations. Against the 2003 Spurs the 2011 spurs lose a majority of the time. I believe this is solely based on statistics only, but it does bring up the ? of whether or not this is a championship team or not?

I've always thought the 2003 spurs were the best overall team San Antonio has ever had. They had a strong team all around. Defensively they had two great shot blockers obviously, but you also had one of the best perimeter defenders of all time in Bruce Bowen. Offensively, they had Tim and David down low. They also had good shooters in Bowen, Stephen Jackson and steve Kerr. On top of that you had three guys that could create their own shots in Manu, Parker, and Jackson. Yes they did have prime Tim Duncan, but they were plenty of other options. They were a very great balanced out team.

I think 1999 was the best team the spurs have ever had defensively with not one, but two great perimeter defenders in Elliott and Elie in addition to prime twin tower shot blocking.

What I want to know is when you break it down (overlooking any potential problems such as injuries) is this a championship caliber team? Record says so, but do they really have what it takes or not? In my opinion they are and I have 4 reasons.

1. Rebounding-From what I can remember this is the best rebounding team the spurs have ever had. Ever box score i look at the spurs usually out rebound their opponents. You have two great rebounders in Blair and Duncan. This is also the first time I can remember the spurs having another solid rebounder coming off the bench with Antonio mcdyess. I believe having great rebounders helps eliminate the problems you come about when facing teams with size. Help defenders are less reluctant to help when they know they are responsible for men like Duncan and Blair. Crashing the boards is one of the big reasons for the spurs success this season and you have to credit the coaching staff for starting Blair with Duncan witch didn't seem like a good combination heading into the season.

2. Offensively-Offensively this is probably the best team the spurs have ever had. You have two incredibly gifted slashers, facilitators and penetrators in Parker and Ginobili. You surround them with great shooters with bonner, Neal, and Jefferson. Coming off the bench you have another very good perimeter player in George hill. You also have a good pick and pop guy with Dice. Then you have a offensive possession extender in Blair in case any of those guys miss. You can beat them in transition or in the half court. Pick your poison. Oh wait, I also forgot about that low post scorer the spurs have in Tim Duncan. He can also hit a jump shot and get other teams in foul trouble. Any one who thinks he has lost some offensive power is in for a reckoning come playoff time. He shows flashes of still getting it done and the coaching staff is obviously saving him.

3. Experience/chemistry-I know it's cliche, but I really think this hurt the spurs last season. Guys like Hill and Blair had little to no playoff experience and when the spurs got popped in the mouth by the Suns the team didn't respond correctly and it resulted in a sweep. On top of that you had other guys who played a huge role who didn't even have a year of experience in the system. Now this year the team has seemed to gel and they play well together and enjoy playing with each other. Jefferson, Dice, and Blair have made huge strides and if things get rough I believe they will respond better than last year. Add this to the championship experience of the big 3 and it should equal success. Only guy in the rotation I'm worried about come playoff time is Neal, but I believe the spurs can survive without him if he struggles.

4.Home Court advantage-The spurs are going to have it and I believe this huge. Not having to travel as much and hearing our roars will motivate this urgent team that knows the window is closing.

The two concerns obviously are the defense and the ability to stay healthy, which are huge concerns, but both can slowly and carefully be taken care of. Just my two cents on the season. I'm very bored at work today. What do you guys think? Is this a championship team and if not is there anything they can do?

Enjoy this while it lasts and GO Spurs GO
:flag:

honestfool84
02-15-2011, 09:31 PM
just scanned it quickly (i'm on my phone... teehee), but i definitely think that home court will be HUGE for the spurs... their record is currently 25-2. that's phenomenal.

Obstructed_View
02-16-2011, 02:21 AM
I don't think they match up against any championship team until they actually win one first.

Mr. Body
02-16-2011, 02:29 AM
I don't think they match up against any championship team until they actually win one first.

barbacoataco
02-16-2011, 02:32 AM
A lot of winning championships comes down to making shots. The 2006 Spurs were right there with the Mavs and if a couple of shots go in they win. Or, there is the 2004 team which had L.A. on the ropes until the heartbreaker and then they started missing all their 3's. This year's team will also come down to whether guys like Neal, Bonner, and Jefferson make some shots in the playoffs.

Obstructed_View
02-16-2011, 02:35 AM
The Spurs are likely to set a franchise record for wins this season. The last two times they did that they didn't get out of the west.

DMC
02-16-2011, 10:05 AM
Cause and correlation are big problems for this forum.

spursfaninla
02-16-2011, 12:13 PM
The Spurs are likely to set a franchise record for wins this season. The last two times they did that they didn't get out of the west.

That top win season was the year of the Manu foul on Dirk, sending it to overtime. We were very close to the finals, and quite possibly another ring.

nkdlunch
02-16-2011, 12:39 PM
can we at least get past round 2 before these talks???

21_Blessings
02-16-2011, 12:47 PM
Well for one, those teams won a championship. Which is something this Suns-lite squad has absolutely no chance at experiencing.

TampaDude
02-16-2011, 12:54 PM
Well for one, those teams won a championship. Which is something this Suns-lite squad has absolutely no chance at experiencing.

LOL assraped by MJ

LOL 8.5 games back

LOL behind the Mavs

LOL wheels coming off

LOL no threepeat

Rummpd
02-16-2011, 02:18 PM

This sublime and inaccurate response keeps being repeated on this board over and over again.

BS this team is now 6th in defensive efficiency and not far from 3-5 - 2 SPOTS better than the Lakers right now and 2nd in offensive efficiency and deeper by far than any other contender except perhaps Boston (and Shaq and J. O'Neil are hurt) and/or the Mavs if Caron comes back. Their pace is also similar to that of the Lakers, Heat and Chicago to name a few teams.

http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/teamstats/_/sort/defensiveEff/order/false

http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/teamstats/_/order/true

In the playoffs when Duncan and Manu play 5-6 minutes more a game at least there are few teams as capable of playing slow or fast then the Spurs.

Spurs also shoot only a few more threes than most other contenders (9th tops attempts in league - far from the Suns in their days) except for Boston and just make a far better % than most contenders.

SAS also does not pull up and shoot quick threes, ala the Suns or the current NYK most come on beautiful ball movement and/or an inside out game.
BUT WHY LET THE STATISTICAL AND METHOD OF PLAY FACTS STAND IN THE WAY OF REPEATING B.S. about a Suns like team?:wow:depressed

Obstructed_View
02-16-2011, 06:52 PM
That top win season was the year of the Manu foul on Dirk, sending it to overtime. We were very close to the finals, and quite possibly another ring.

Pop benched his centers and changed his gameplan. The Spurs had just about a .500 record for the playoffs that year. They weren't going to win a title playing smallball, but none of that changes the fact that the Spurs haven't won a title in a year they've set a franchise record for wins.

Unrelated note: Virus warning from basketballreference.com. Nice.