PDA

View Full Version : More red-state insanity: Missouri Lawmaker Pushes Bill Rolling Back Child Labor Laws

boutons_deux
02-15-2011, 07:44 PM
http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/child_labor.jpg

This act modifies the child labor laws. It eliminates the prohibition on employment of children under age fourteen. Restrictions on the number of hours and restrictions on when a child may work during the day are also removed. It also repeals the requirement that a child ages fourteen or fifteen obtain a work certificate or work permit in order to be employed. Children under sixteen will also be allowed to work in any capacity in a motel, resort or hotel where sleeping accommodations are furnished. It also removes the authority of the director of the Division of Labor Standards to inspect employers who employ children and to require them to keep certain records for children they employ. It also repeals the presumption that the presence of a child in a workplace is evidence of employment.

http://thinkprogress.org/2011/02/15/missouri-child-labo/

DarrinS
02-15-2011, 08:00 PM
alternet.org
truth-out.org
thinkprogress.org
mediamatters.org

You can pretty much ignore a post linking to any of these sites.

Winehole23
02-16-2011, 03:05 AM
Go ahead. Ignore the State of Missouri:

http://www.senate.mo.gov/11info/BTS_Web/Summary.aspx?SessionType=R&SummaryID=4013861&BillID=4124271

boutons_deux
02-16-2011, 03:26 AM
alternet.org
truth-out.org
thinkprogress.org
mediamatters.org

One of them contains more truth in one day's articles than Fox Repug Network does in a year.

Kyle Orton
02-16-2011, 09:01 AM
alternet.org
truth-out.org
thinkprogress.org
mediamatters.org

http://www.senate.mo.gov/11info/BTS_Web/Summary.aspx?SessionType=R&SummaryID=4013861&BillID=4124271

:lmao owned

Wild Cobra
02-16-2011, 09:48 AM
LOL...

You lefties are really stretching to make Red States look bad. I suggest you read the bill before saying it's bad, else prove yourself a useless idiot of the leftist agenda.

SENATE BILL NO. 222 (http://www.senate.mo.gov/11info/pdf-bill/intro/SB222.pdf)

More insane propaganda and lies from the leftist media. that's all it is.

Boutons...

Don't you ever verify anything before posting it? I guess it's true if it comes from one of your favorite leftist sites, huh?

Wild Cobra
02-16-2011, 09:52 AM
:lmao owned
No, read the bill. Someone summarized that part incorrectly:

294.040. A child under sixteen shall not be employed or permitted to work by any person, firm, or corporation in connection with:

(13) Any capacity in or about a motel, resort, hotel, where sleeping accommodations are furnished

TeyshaBlue
02-16-2011, 09:58 AM
Good grief bouton's. Again, you didn't bother to read the bill, instead you parrot only what your tautological shill of an RSS feed tells you to think. Think for yourself for a change.http://www.audioandanarchy.com/images/smilies/fack.png

RandomGuy
02-16-2011, 10:06 AM
The government has no right to say how many 10 year olds I can hire. That is pure government overreach. :p:

TeyshaBlue
02-16-2011, 10:08 AM
oh hai tom tomorrow

RandomGuy
02-16-2011, 10:11 AM
LOL...

You lefties are really stretching to make Red States look bad. I suggest you read the bill before saying it's bad, else prove yourself a useless idiot of the leftist agenda.

Boutons...

Don't you ever verify anything before posting it? I guess it's true if it comes from one of your favorite leftist sites, huh?

SB 222 – This act modifies the child labor laws. It eliminates the prohibition on employment of children under age fourteen. Restrictions on the number of hours and restrictions on when a child may work during the day are also removed. It also repeals the requirement that a child ages fourteen or fifteen obtain a work certificate or work permit in order to be employed. Children under sixteen will also be allowed to work in any capacity in a motel, resort or hotel where sleeping accommodations are furnished. It also removes the authority of the director of the Division of Labor Standards to inspect employers who employ children and to require them to keep certain records for children they employ. It also repeals the presumption that the presence of a child in a workplace is evidence of employment.

RandomGuy
02-16-2011, 10:13 AM
The worst part seems to be the gutting of the enforcement. Dunno if there is some alternate means of enforcing the law.

Wild Cobra
02-16-2011, 10:14 AM
Random...

I covered that in post #7.

TeyshaBlue
02-16-2011, 10:14 AM
I haven't read the bill yet.:lol

It also replaces the specific sections that were removed with new restrictions.

coyotes_geek
02-16-2011, 10:18 AM
:lol

Lots of ownage in this thread.

TeyshaBlue
02-16-2011, 10:20 AM
The worst part seems to be the gutting of the enforcement. Dunno if there is some alternate means of enforcing the law.

Really?

[2 94 .0 90 . 1 . T h e d irector i s c h arged w ith th e en forcem e n t
2 o f th e pr o v is i o n s o f th i s c h apt e r a nd a l l o th e r l aws r e g u l a t in g t h e
3 em p loym e n t of ch ild ren . T h e d irector is vested w ith th e p ow er a nd
4 ju r is d ictio n to e xe rcis e s u ch su p e r vis io n o ve r e ve ry emp l oy m e n t a s
5 ma y b e ne c e s s a r y to a de q ua t e ly e n f o rc e a n d a dmi n i s t e r th e
6 pr o v is i o n s o f th i s c h apt e r, i nc lu di n g t h e r ig h t to e n t e r a n y pl a c e
7 wh e r e c h i l d r e n ar e empl o y e d a nd to i n s pe c t th e pr emi ses an d to
8 r e q u i r e th e pr o d uc ti o n o f wo r k c e rt ifi ca t e s o r wo r k p e rmi ts a nd a ny
9 o t h e r n e cess a r y d o c ume n t s s pe c ifi ca l ly r e q u e s t e d t h at i n v o l v e th e
10 em p loym e n t of ch ild ren

Wow, that really formats badly when you c/p from that doc.:wow

Wild Cobra
02-16-2011, 10:28 AM

Here... Cleaned it up:

294.090. 1. The director is charged with the enforcement of the provisions of this chapter and all other laws regulating the employment of children. The director is vested with the power and jurisdiction to exercise such supervision over every employment as may be necessary to adequately enforce and administer the provisions of this chapter, including the right to enter any place where children are employed and to inspect the premises and to require the production of work certificates or work permits and another necessary documents specifically requested that involve the employment of children.

RandomGuy
02-16-2011, 10:30 AM
No, read the bill. Someone summarized that part incorrectly:

Goober. If you actually read the .pdf file you posted a bit more closely, that was an exised section.

The brackets (made larger and bolder) denote deleted sections.

EXPLANATION--Matter enclosed in bold-faced brackets [thus] in this bill is not enacted and is
intended to be omitted in the law.

(13) [Any capacity in or about a motel, resort, hotel, where sleeping
30 accommodations are furnished except in offices or locations physically separated
31 from the sleeping accommodations;
32 (14)]

In plain english:
Section 13 shall read (section within the brackets deleted, including the annotation "14" to renumber the statute's sections) (actual text of section 13 follows closing bracket, omitted from my excerpted section)

Reading comprehension fail.

RandomGuy
02-16-2011, 10:33 AM
Really?

[ 2 94 .0 90 . 1 . T h e d irector i s c h arged w ith th e en forcem e n t
2 o f th e pr o v is i o n s o f th i s c h apt e r a nd a l l o th e r l aws r e g u l a t in g t h e
3 em p loym e n t of ch ild ren . T h e d irector is vested w ith th e p ow er a nd
4 ju r is d ictio n to e xe rcis e s u ch su p e r vis io n o ve r e ve ry emp l oy m e n t a s
5 ma y b e ne c e s s a r y to a de q ua t e ly e n f o rc e a n d a dmi n i s t e r th e
6 pr o v is i o n s o f th i s c h apt e r, i nc lu di n g t h e r ig h t to e n t e r a n y pl a c e
7 wh e r e c h i l d r e n ar e empl o y e d a nd to i n s pe c t th e pr emi ses an d to
8 r e q u i r e th e pr o d uc ti o n o f wo r k c e rt ifi ca t e s o r wo r k p e rmi ts a nd a ny
9 o t h e r n e cess a r y d o c ume n t s s pe c ifi ca l ly r e q u e s t e d t h at i n v o l v e th e
10 em p loym e n t of ch ild ren

Section A. Sections 294.021, 294.022, 294.024, 294.027, 294.030, 294.040,
2 294.045, 294.051, 294.054, 294.060, 294.070, 294.080, 294.090, and 294.100,
3 RSMo, are repealed

(again, the brackets thing)--RG

TeyshaBlue
02-16-2011, 10:37 AM
I'm looking at this again. That bracket thing is fucked up.

Wild Cobra
02-16-2011, 10:39 AM
Random...

Now that I got you to read the bill, please note the entire section refers to the entertainment industry, and therefore hotels/motels are not needed to be included in an assumption of cleaning rooms, etc. Some hotels offer entertainment. You know, like stage performances...

TeyshaBlue
02-16-2011, 10:44 AM
WTF is up with all the verbage dedicated to the entertainment industry?

Oh, Branson. NM....

After reviewing this bill in proper context (Thanks RG!), apologies to boutons. :toast

This bill sucks.:depressed

Wild Cobra
02-16-2011, 10:47 AM
WTF is up with all the verbage dedicated to the entertainment industry?

Oh, Branson. NM....

After reviewing this bill in proper context (Thanks RG!), apologies to boutons. :toast

This bill sucks.:depressed

It allows child actors to work. The part that we just argued over is for ages under 16. What's the problem? I had my first real job at 15.

TeyshaBlue
02-16-2011, 10:50 AM
And I had my first real job @ 13. But I was working for relatives so there was oversight.

This bill removes oversight.

Wild Cobra
02-16-2011, 11:01 AM
And I had my first real job @ 13. But I was working for relatives so there was oversight.

This bill removes oversight.
No, just specific oversight related to children. There are still work law oversights in play I bet, or do employees over 18 not enjoy protection?

Wild Cobra
02-16-2011, 11:06 AM
The first part removed deals with work permits. Isn't that a silly notion anyway, using tax payer dollars and possibly delaying employment to where it's impossible to make things happen? States are under budget crunches. Would this not be a reasonable cut?

Now they wholesale removed other sections. I'll bet they were redundant to other laws. I don't know about you, but I have seen more than one law cover the same thing. One gets changes, then is in conflict with another.

RandomGuy
02-16-2011, 11:12 AM
Random...

Now that I got you to read the bill, please note the entire section refers to the entertainment industry, and therefore hotels/motels are not needed to be included in an assumption of cleaning rooms, etc. Some hotels offer entertainment. You know, like stage performances...

Indeed it does. It appears as though the primary intent was to encourage film industry jobs, by outlining the protection of child actors etc.

LnGrrrR
02-16-2011, 11:17 AM
So WC, do you think that the OP's comment

This act modifies the child labor laws. It eliminates the prohibition on employment of children under age fourteen. Restrictions on the number of hours and restrictions on when a child may work during the day are also removed. It also repeals the requirement that a child ages fourteen or fifteen obtain a work certificate or work permit in order to be employed. Children under sixteen will also be allowed to work in any capacity in a motel, resort or hotel where sleeping accommodations are furnished. It also removes the authority of the director of the Division of Labor Standards to inspect employers who employ children and to require them to keep certain records for children they employ. It also repeals the presumption that the presence of a child in a workplace is evidence of employment.

... is all leftist lies? Or are you going by this NEW argument?

Now they wholesale removed other sections. I'll bet they were redundant to other laws. I don't know about you, but I have seen more than one law cover the same thing. One gets changes, then is in conflict with another.

Which is it?

Wild Cobra
02-16-2011, 11:30 AM
So WC, do you think that the OP's comment

... is all leftist lies? Or are you going by this NEW argument?

Which is it?
The bill does not say it eliminates restrictions for those ages. It only eliminates restrictions that were in this one bill. What do you think the chances are this is covered in another law already? I don't know about you, but we normally have several redundant laws on the books.

Seriously... Without reviewing every labor law, how can they accurately say it removes restrictions?

RandomGuy
02-16-2011, 11:31 AM
LOL...

Boutons...

By the way, the section I posed here was that of the official Missouri Senate.

SB 222 – This act modifies the child labor laws. It eliminates the prohibition on employment of children under age fourteen. Restrictions on the number of hours and restrictions on when a child may work during the day are also removed. It also repeals the requirement that a child ages fourteen or fifteen obtain a work certificate or work permit in order to be employed. Children under sixteen will also be allowed to work in any capacity in a motel, resort or hotel where sleeping accommodations are furnished. It also removes the authority of the director of the Division of Labor Standards to inspect employers who employ children and to require them to keep certain records for children they employ. It also repeals the presumption that the presence of a child in a workplace is evidence of employment.
MICHAEL RUFF

http://www.senate.mo.gov/SenateStaff/

Ruff, Michael B-9 751-4666 Research

Mr. Ruff's summary appears to be intended to be the "official" summary, especially since the linked summary is on the senate's website.

FWIW

Not sure who then is responsible for enforcement of these laws. It removed authority, without saying who then became responsible.

That, to me, seems to be eliminating oversight.

Without knowing the specifics of what was intended, that conclusion is not entirely as solid as I would like, though.

(edit)

Any fair reading of this seems to be the overall weakening of child labor laws, though.

Wild Cobra
02-16-2011, 11:36 AM
So? Does it make what I said wrong?

LnGrrrR
02-16-2011, 11:47 AM
The bill does not say it eliminates restrictions for those ages. It only eliminates restrictions that were in this one bill. What do you think the chances are this is covered in another law already? I don't know about you, but we normally have several redundant laws on the books.

Seriously... Without reviewing every labor law, how can they accurately say it removes restrictions?

:lol Really WC? Let's look at this logic.

"It's ok if this bill eliminates restrictions, because there might be another bill with those restrictions. The gov't often has several redundant laws on the books."

Tell me WC, what sense does that make? If the law often has several redundant laws, what is the point of stripping them from THIS bill? If the law is covered somewhere else, why would they take the extra step of removing them from this bill in the first place?

And to top it off, do you really think that the lawmakers looked through every other piece of work legislation before they wrote this one down? If so, you have way more respect for legislators then I do.

boutons_deux
02-16-2011, 12:00 PM

RandomGuy
02-16-2011, 12:03 PM
So? Does it make what I said wrong?

SENATE BILL NO. 222

Missouri State Sen. Jane Cunningham (R) is pushing a bill which would dramatically claw back state child labor protections. As the bill’s official summary explains:

To be fair, children in Missouri would still enjoy robust protections against exploitation even if Cunningham succeeded in repealing all child labor laws in her state, thanks to the federal Fair Labor Standards Act. But far right lawmakers have declared war on federal child labor laws as well. In a lengthy lecture delivered before his election to the U.S. Senate, Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT) praises a discredited 1918 Supreme Court decision declaring child labor laws unconstitutional. That decision, which Lee holds out a model for his tenther vision of the Constitution, was unanimously overruled by the Supreme Court in 1941.

As recently as the day before President Obama moved into the White House, it was difficult to imagine even the most conservative lawmakers breaking with the 70 year-old consensus surrounding child labor laws. Welcome to the post-Tea Party era, where even the most bizarre and disastrous mistakes from America’s past are part of the right-wing’s agenda.

They quoted the official summary, in it's entirety, as well as noting that the child labor laws were not entirely gutted, something intellectually honest and fair.

You didn't read the link, to note any of this. You simply dismissed it out of hand.

You hack.

boutons_deux
02-16-2011, 12:17 PM
A great example of the Repug/red-state "jobs" policy. This is how the WC and other conservative assholes want the US laborers to be competitive with China, India. Work for peanuts, no benefits, non-stop intimidation by employers, and STFU.

Sec24Row7
02-16-2011, 02:08 PM
Can we please get away from this stupid fucking Upton Sinclair type picture of what kids working is in the US?

There aren't legal sweat shops here... Kids aren't going to be hired because they can fit under the boiler...

The old laws are outdated because there are several layer of protection laid over the top. This allows kids that want to work longer hours and make more money do so!

What the hell is wring with that?

LnGrrrR
02-16-2011, 03:35 PM
The old laws are outdated because there are several layer of protection laid over the top.

Regarding child labor protections, I'm ok with "extra" laws built in.

This allows kids that want to work longer hours and make more money do so!

That's certainly a better argument than WC's. I myself worked at the age of 14. It's a double-edged sword, allowing children to work. I honestly haven't done the research to determine if this will indeed make it easier for children to work without protecting basic oversight.

Sec24Row7
02-16-2011, 04:32 PM
Regarding child labor protections, I'm ok with "extra" laws built in.

That's certainly a better argument than WC's. I myself worked at the age of 14. It's a double-edged sword, allowing children to work. I honestly haven't done the research to determine if this will indeed make it easier for children to work without protecting basic oversight.

Certainly kids shouldn't be even DOING some jobs, leave those protections in and open their services up to the rest of the workforce... the protections I was talking about that are redundant... are like say... a 40 hour work week...

Kids like a regular employee should be able to work 40+ if they are compensated justly...

They don't need time limits more than a regular modern worker, so those laws dealing specifically to child labor time restrictions can be removed.