PDA

View Full Version : Spurs' Winning Formula: Keep It Simple

duncan228
02-16-2011, 02:37 PM
Spurs' Winning Formula: Keep It Simple (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2011/02/16/spurs-winning-formula-keep-it-simple/)
By Robert Karpeles

San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich doesn't need to fire up his team on road trips.

He doesn't hand out books to his players, like Phil Jackson does before long travels to various NBA cities.

"No, I try my best not to motivate them," Popovich said before Monday's game against the New Jersey Nets. "It's too tiring and I'm not that smart. I wouldn't know what book to give them."

OK, so Popovich was probably being somewhat sarcastic.

But the Spurs' resurgence this season (46-9) -- and their success on the current nine-game annual Rodeo road trip (6-2) -- stems from Popovich and his guys doing what they have done all these years: never getting too outside the box.

The Spurs currently own the league's best record. They also own the league's best road record at 21-9. Their final game of the trip comes Thursday against the Bulls.

So, how has the team that's been dubbed by so many naysayers as too old been so successful, especially when traveling through nine cities in 17 days?

"We have been together a while," Popovich said. "They play hard. They win or they lose. We go watch the film. We do what we do."

It's seems too simple, but that's exactly what the Spurs are: a simple, drama-free, stable organization. Those words have been used to describe the Spurs in year's past. But how those qualities result in winning is a bit more puzzling, especially this season.

Despite averaging a career low in every major statistical category this year, Spurs stoic superstar Tim Duncan has been the team's stabilizer on the road. He helps his teammates stay even keel.

"Tim Duncan is the least judgmental (person) I have ever been around," Popovich said. "He helps create an atmosphere that people feel good about what they are doing even if they screw it up. And they want to come back and do it right."

Keep reading... (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2011/02/16/spurs-winning-formula-keep-it-simple/)

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2011/02/16/spurs-winning-formula-keep-it-simple/

Spurfect21
02-16-2011, 02:43 PM
Nice :toast

tdunk21
02-16-2011, 02:57 PM
good read 228....

TampaDude
02-16-2011, 06:14 PM
It's actually a 21-7 road record, not 21-9.

The Spurs are also 25-2 at home so far. That's fucking insane!!!

honestfool84
02-16-2011, 06:17 PM
The Spurs currently own the league's best record. They also own the league's best road record at 21-9. Their final game of the trip comes Thursday against the Bulls.

It's actually a 21-7 road record, not 21-9.

seriously.. how do guys get away without proofing their articles?

TampaDude
02-16-2011, 06:21 PM

Yeah, really...I just read another article that stated that the Spurs haven't lost consecutive games this year. That, of course, is not true. The Spurs lost to the Knicks and Celtics on a B2B on 1/4 and 1/5. That's the only time, though.

Cane
02-16-2011, 06:27 PM

I think there's a misspelling also:

"Well, I think they are sexier than we are," Popovich said, referring to the other top teams in the league. "It's kind of the world we live in. It's usually been like that, the San Antonions we're kind of far from everyone else. We kind of like it that way."

Shouldn't it be Antonians? Ah well decent read nonetheless.