PDA

View Full Version : the movie "The American"

Blake
02-16-2011, 03:49 PM
probably the last Clooney movie I'll ever see unless he makes an Oceans 14.

2 hours of waiting for some sort of payoff that never came.

maybe 30 minutes total of actual dialogue throughout this weak ass attempt at being a Euro-artsy film, shot in some little Italian town.

absolute suckage and I'm pissed I waited til the end instead of shutting it down 20 minutes in like I was thinking of doing.

coyotes_geek
02-16-2011, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the review. You've saved two hours of my life. This was on my list of movies to see. :tu

silverblk mystix
02-16-2011, 04:05 PM
I thought it wasn't half bad and the love interest was quite interesting too...

There were a couple of great scenes and the feeling of the clooney character unsure of letting himself feel anything or trust himself to feel anything-while still being able to do his job effectively...was filled with tension and mystery, imo...

PakiDan
02-16-2011, 04:06 PM
Horribly boring movie.

DesignatedT
02-16-2011, 04:22 PM
terrible movie.

redzero
02-16-2011, 04:23 PM
I think I'll pass on this. If I want to go to sleep, I'll listen to a Boards of Canada album.

Stringer_Bell
02-16-2011, 06:34 PM
I think I'll pass on this. If I want to go to sleep, I'll listen to a Boards of Canada album.

BoC makes you sleepy? That shit makes me want to do Sudoku puzzles for hours.

I've been wanting to see this film, still might, but I'll lower my expectations...which may actually make me like it more. I don't know.

silverblk mystix
02-16-2011, 06:48 PM
BoC makes you sleepy? That shit makes me want to do Sudoku puzzles for hours.

I've been wanting to see this film, still might, but I'll lower my expectations...which may actually make me like it more. I don't know.

W/out spoiling it, it seems that if you are more into action, car chases, blowing up shit,etc...

this film may fall short...

but if you like intelligent-yet restrained dialogue, a gripping story, european style and zen-like controlled performances with a lot being said by not saying it out loud-type of film...

you may be pleasantly surprised...

PakiDan
02-16-2011, 07:16 PM
W/out spoiling it, it seems that if you are more into action, car chases, blowing up shit,etc...

but if you like intelligent-yet restrained dialogue, a gripping story, european style and zen-like controlled performances with a lot being said by not saying it out loud-type of film...

Well said my frie.. bwahahaha! Naaah, it sucked! ........bwahahaha.... Mr. butterfly... bwahahaha

Reggie Williams
02-16-2011, 11:50 PM
It took me 4 days to finish it.

Fpoonsie
02-17-2011, 12:33 AM
One reviewer said "it was like watching the sequel to paint dry."

I've never been interested.

IronMexican
02-17-2011, 02:15 AM

I never understood why /mu/ loves it. I tried on about three separate occasions. Just not for me.

Stringer_Bell
05-26-2011, 10:51 PM

Holy shit, this film was awesome. If it hasn't won a Best Picture award, it should win one for Best Director. I've gotta say, I'm a little bummed out by the opinions I've heard not just here, but also when I'm out and about regarding this movie. I honestly was waiting for a boring part, but it was badass all the way through and Clooney really did a great job with his character.

JudynTX
05-27-2011, 08:56 AM
It took me 4 days to finish it.

:lol Clooney needs to just stick with Oceans movies.

lefty
05-27-2011, 09:16 AM
Not Canadian enough

Eh....

Frenzy
05-27-2011, 09:38 AM
One reviewer said "it was like watching the sequel to paint dry."

I've never been interested.

I'll wait for the third."paint strikes back."

silverblk mystix
05-27-2011, 10:00 AM
Holy shit, this film was awesome. If it hasn't won a Best Picture award, it should win one for Best Director. I've gotta say, I'm a little bummed out by the opinions I've heard not just here, but also when I'm out and about regarding this movie. I honestly was waiting for a boring part, but it was badass all the way through and Clooney really did a great job with his character.

I am guessing that for some people if it isn't action-packed all the way through-it must not be any good.

I can relate, however, I like a good story and don't mind quiet moments and I also like how sometimes things can be said powerfully without using too many words...or even any words at all.

To each his own-I still thought it was a good worthwhile movie.

Blake
05-27-2011, 10:56 AM
I am guessing that for some people if it isn't action-packed all the way through-it must not be any good.

I can relate, however, I like a good story and don't mind quiet moments and I also like how sometimes things can be said powerfully without using too many words...or even any words at all.

To each his own-I still thought it was a good worthwhile movie.

I like a good story too. I didn't find one here.

There was almost as much character development for the priest as there was for Clooney's character.

Spurtacus
05-27-2011, 02:27 PM
Very overrated movie. If you love slow scenes, some country cinematography, and a few tits, then this is right up your alley. If you want to see a assassin actually kill people then this isn't your movie.