PDA

View Full Version : Spurs at Bulls Previews

duncan228
02-16-2011, 05:59 PM
Game is Thursday, 7:00 CST on TNT.

The Spurs’ medical staff determined that Splitter’s strained left hamstring was not going to allow him to play in either of the final two games of the rodeo trip — Monday, nor Thursday at Chicago. He was sent home to begin a more structured rehabilitation program.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/02/14/ginobili-back-in-starting-lineup/

San Antonio (46-9) at Chicago (37-16) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2011021704)
Tipoff: 8:00 pm EST Thu Feb 17, 2011
TV: TNT
By Brett Huston

There’s one last stop on the San Antonio Spurs’ rodeo trip, which has done nothing to dispute their title as the NBA’s best team heading into the All-Star break.

The Chicago Bulls might not be too far behind.

The Spurs try to close out their nine-game trip with a seventh victory Thursday night against the Bulls, who are looking for a 15th win in 16 games at the United Center.

San Antonio (46-9) hasn’t lost consecutive games, has reeled off three winning streaks of at least eight games and has been the NBA’s top road team at 21-7.

The Spurs opened their annual rodeo trip with a loss to Portland but have won six of seven since, with only a poor shooting effort Friday at Philadelphia slowing them down. San Antonio bounced back with a 24-point win at Washington a night later, then cruised past New Jersey 102-85 on Monday.

A victory Thursday would give the Spurs their most wins on the rodeo trip since the 2002-03 team wrapped up its nine-game journey with eight straight victories. That team went on to win the NBA title.

“They’re feeling a few bumps and bruises, but they’re character guys,” coach Gregg Popovich said. “They’re professionals, and they know what’s expected of them. They know where they want to be at the end of the year and they’re working towards that. So no game can be left without trying to get better.”

That’s an approach the Bulls (37-16) seem to be taking, and they’re about to get another boost when center Joakim Noah returns from thumb surgery after the break.

They’ve been doing awfully well without him. Only the Spurs, at 21-5, have a better record than the Bulls’ 19-6 mark since Dec. 26. Luol Deng paved the way to their ninth win in 11 games Tuesday night, scoring 24 points in a 106-94 victory over Charlotte.

Chicago has surrendered an average of 84.5 points in its last 15 games at the United Center.

“Guys are extremely confident,” forward Carlos Boozer said. “We’re a team - not just one guy, two guys, three guys; we’re a group of guys. Everybody on this team, whether you’re starting or off the bench, can play in the NBA and play well.”

Boozer was still recovering from a broken right hand during Chicago’s stop in San Antonio on Nov. 17, part of its annual circus trip, and the Bulls could have used him.

Tim Duncan had 16 points and 18 rebounds as San Antonio rallied from a 17-point first-half deficit to win 103-94. Taj Gibson, filling in for Boozer, missed all seven shots and didn’t score.

Boozer dominated the Spurs last season with Utah, averaging 25.8 points and 11.3 rebounds in four wins.

“We’re looking forward to playing them,” Boozer told the Bulls’ official website. “We’ve played other great teams during the season. It’s another big game before the break gets here.”

While the battle between Boozer and Duncan should be intriguing, DeJuan Blair might give the Spurs an edge in the paint - particularly with Noah out. The 6-foot-8 center has averaged 13.4 points and 11.0 boards on the road trip.

Two of the league’s premier scoring point guards should provide an excellent matchup in the backcourt. Chicago’s Derrick Rose scored 33 points in the first meeting, while San Antonio’s Tony Parker had 21.

The Spurs, who have split their last four visits to Chicago, are 31-2 when Parker scores 17 points or more.

Team Stat Leaders

Derrick Rose Chi 24.5

Rebounds
Tim Duncan SA 9.2
Joakim Noah Chi 11.7

Assists
Tony Parker SA 6.7
Derrick Rose Chi 8.2

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2011021704

duncan228
02-16-2011, 06:05 PM
Big game with Spurs, but don't tell Thibs (http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20110216/sports/799999421/)
By Mike McGraw

In Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau's world, at least the one he projects verbally, there are no highlighted games on the schedule.

The NBA regular season consists of 82 equally-important contests, and if the Bulls do anything but put their entire focus on the next one they're likely to stumble.

“Every game's a measuring stick for us,” Thibodeau said Wednesday at the Berto Center. “We want to be consistent with our approach.”

To everyone else, Thursday's visit from the San Antonio Spurs is a big deal. It's the last game before the all-star break and a chance for the Bulls (37-16) to test themselves against the team with the league's best record.

Derrick Rose wasn't quite on the same page as his coach when told this game could be viewed as a Finals preview. Really, though, who could blame him?

“If they think that, that's great,” Rose said. “I wouldn't mind that at all. It's a measuring stick for us to see how far we've come.”

The Bulls are 24-4 at home this season — only San Antonio is better — but oddly enough, three of those losses were against New York, Charlotte and the Clippers. They've beaten NBA elites Boston, Miami, Orlando, Dallas, Oklahoma City and the Lakers at the United Center.

Given a second chance at the Bobcats, the Bulls won 106-94 on Tuesday behind 24 points from Luol Deng, along with 18 points and 13 assists by Rose.

“Every time we play hard, we can beat anyone,” Deng said. “It's a big game (against the Spurs), not only because they're No. 1, but because it's the game before the break. It's one of those things where you lose and you have a bad taste in your mouth until you play again.

“It's been a great (first) half right now and we have to focus in on ending it right and make sure we don't pack our bags before that game.”

Last year, the Spurs were the No. 7 seed in the Western Conference. Considering Tim Duncan is 34, Manu Ginobili is 33 and reserve big man Antonio McDyess is 37, it was easy to assume San Antonio's championship window had blown shut.

But the Spurs regrouped and changed their style slightly. Duncan became a smaller part of the offense. Ginobili and Parker focused on attacking the basket, while lights-out 3-point shooters such as Matt Bonner, Steve Novak and undrafted rookie Gary Neal roamed the perimeter.

San Antonio's 46-9 record is ninth best in NBA history through 55 games and just 3 behind the record-setting pace of the 1995-96 Bulls, which they matched a year later.

“They're a well-balanced team,” Thibodeau said. “When you look at the strength of their club, they still have the low-post threat in Duncan, which is vital. They have great rebounding with (DeJuan) Blair and McDyess. Then, of course, off the dribble with Parker and Ginobili.”

It helps that the Spurs have had few injuries. Six of the top seven scorers haven't missed a game this season, while reserve guard George Hill has skipped just six.

Of course, coach Gregg Popovich is also working with a three-man nucleus that has won three NBA titles.

“They're not missing much,” Thibodeau said. “They've been in a lot of big games. They've been in a lot of tight situations. They handle those things with a lot of poise.”

When the Bulls visited San Antonio on Nov. 17, they were missing Carlos Boozer because of a broken hand. The Bulls jumped to a 17-point lead in the second quarter, then were outscored 37-12 in the third. The Spurs went on to win 103-94. Rose scored 33 points that night, hitting 15 of 27 shots from the field, but attempting just 1 free throw.

“Defensively, we've got to stay together,” Rose said. “This is really going to have to be a 48-minute game.”

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20110216/sports/799999421/

honestfool84
02-16-2011, 06:07 PM
San Antonio (46-9) hasn’t lost consecutive games,

the Knicks and Celtics say hello.

Cane
02-16-2011, 06:08 PM
Boozer was a beast against Duncan and Utah swept the Spurs in the last regular season. Hopefully that doesn't repeat itself, maybe Boozer was playing for a contract.

Anyway it should be one hell of a game. The ASG-snubbed Tony Parker is going to have his opportunity to play against the most hyped PG in the NBA today aka Rose and thats going to be one fun matchup.

Shame that Splitter's injured. Would've been interesting to see if he could match up well against Kurt Thomas or at least Omer Asik....then again who knows if he would've had some mins if he was healthy anyway.

honestfool84
02-16-2011, 06:09 PM
call me crazy, but i have a bad feeling about this game. :(

honestfool84
02-16-2011, 06:12 PM
But the Spurs regrouped and changed their style slightly. Duncan became a smaller part of the offense. Ginobili and Parker focused on attacking the basket, while lights-out 3-point shooters such as Matt Bonner, Steve Novak and undrafted rookie Gary Neal roamed the perimeter.

Steve Novak? really? :lol

hitmanyr2k
02-16-2011, 06:18 PM
One thing I like about the Bulls this year is they've avenged every big loss they had early in the season...the only exception being the Knicks. I expect they'll come out with a lot of energy against the Spurs to send a message. Since it's a primetime televised game I just hope they don't come out too hype and play a sloppy game similar to how the Spurs did against the Lakers a couple of weeks ago. Rose turns on the jets and plays "Tony Parker" ball a bit too much when he's up for a game.

Mister Sinister
02-16-2011, 08:17 PM
I'll be at the game tomorrow night.

Tp9gospursgo
02-16-2011, 08:40 PM
I can't wait for this game!! Rose vs Tp!!

DMC
02-16-2011, 08:45 PM
Don't you love it when writers don't research the material? They don't even know who the Spurs are. Something David Robinson and that guy who was married to Eva.

DMC
02-16-2011, 08:45 PM
One thing I like about the Bulls this year is they've avenged every big loss they had early in the season...the only exception being the Knicks. I expect they'll come out with a lot of energy against the Spurs to send a message. Since it's a primetime televised game I just hope they don't come out too hype and play a sloppy game similar to how the Spurs did against the Lakers a couple of weeks ago. Rose turns on the jets and plays "Tony Parker" ball a bit too much when he's up for a game.
Everyone has beaten the Knicks for them. No need to do it again.

Also

" 31-2 when Parker scores 17 points or more."

I really hate cause vs correlation statements that get it wrong.

TDMVPDPOY
02-16-2011, 08:49 PM
to win this game must exploit the centerpiece bogans lmao

dude is avg under 4ppg and starting for the bulls...gino is going to have a field day against him

DMC
02-16-2011, 08:57 PM
Ex Spurs players always do well against us. It's always the best game of their career when they face us for some reason. Drew Gooden toasted us.

We win anyhow most of the time, but still.

honestfool84
02-16-2011, 09:14 PM
:lol

duncan228
02-17-2011, 12:51 AM
Hit the link for the whole piece.

Flying below radar, Spurs can make statement (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/02/16/flying-below-radar-spurs-can-make-statement/)
Jeff McDonald

...Playing on national television, against a big-market Bulls team playing its best ball since everyone wanted to Be Like Mike, the Spurs have a chance to make a parting statement heading into the All-Star break.

...“We want to make sure we finish strong,” point guard Tony Parker said.

...“It’s not a place we expected to be at this point,” said Tim Duncan, the Spurs’ All-Star power forward. “We’re happy with our situation, but we still feel like we have a lot of improving to do. To a man, I think everybody feels that way.”

A win over the surging Bulls, who are 37-16 and running away with the Central Division by 13 1/2 games, would send the Spurs into All-Star weekend on a high note.

With rising star Derrick Rose making a nightly stump speech in his MVP candidacy, Chicago has won 12 of its past 15 including victories over Miami, Dallas, Orlando and on the road at Utah and New Orleans. Rose is averaging 24.5 points, most among NBA point guards, and 8.2 assists.

A Spurs victory tonight, against that backdrop, would surely cause a blip on the league’s radar screens.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/02/16/flying-below-radar-spurs-can-make-statement/

Thursday: Spurs (46-9) at Bulls (37-16) (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/02/16/thursday-spurs-46-9-at-bulls-37-16/)
Jeff McDonald

...With a victory, Spurs — 6-2 on rodeo trip so far — can finish this year’s trek with largest number of victories since going 8-1 on the first one in 2003. By percentage, a 7-2 finish would be Spurs’ best since posting a 6-1 mark in 2004...

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/02/16/thursday-spurs-46-9-at-bulls-37-16/

spurs10
02-17-2011, 01:52 AM
Tony needs to play as he always does...balls to the wall. It will be a battle, make no mistake.

timtonymanu
02-17-2011, 01:55 AM
I don't care if Spurs end up dropping this game. I just don't want them to come out like they did against Orlando where they got blown out. Keep it competitive and win.

Fpoonsie
02-17-2011, 02:01 AM
Rose turns on the jets and plays "Tony Parker" ball a bit too much when he's up for a game.

What's "Tony Parker ball"?

George Gervin's Afro
02-17-2011, 10:13 AM
I don't care if Spurs end up dropping this game. I just don't want them to come out like they did against Orlando where they got blown out. Keep it competitive and win.

What he said

Gutter92
02-17-2011, 10:31 AM
I'm going to this game, can't wait :toast

hitmanyr2k
02-17-2011, 10:39 AM

"Tony Parker ball" is where you get tunnel vision on the break, turn on the jets and outrun your wings in an attempt to score yourself instead of being patient and letting a fast break develop. It's a huge flaw Rose has in his game right now and I've noticed that flaw has a tendency to show itself in big games. I know Rose is fast as hell and we do want him in attack mode but he has to start improving his fast break execution.

shelshor
02-17-2011, 10:55 AM
http://www.nba.com/news/referee.html
Referee Assignments
Thurs. Feb. 17
San Antonio @ Chicago: Greg Willard; David Jones; Eli Roe

wontstartdumbthreads
02-17-2011, 11:04 AM

You should ask Erin Barry.

Fireball
02-17-2011, 11:14 AM
Spurs don't need to win this one, obviosuly the Bulls are a great home team and both Boozer and Deng can create problems for the Spurs. Hopefully it will be a close and competetive game on national television ...

xmas1997
02-17-2011, 11:28 AM
I hope the Spurs win, but I am not counting on it especially since the Bulls have the second best defense.

Russ
02-17-2011, 11:52 AM
What a game!!!!!

nkdlunch
02-17-2011, 11:56 AM
the Knicks and Celtics say hello.

nevermind

tlongII
02-17-2011, 12:09 PM
This should be a good one tonight. Since the Blazers aren't playing I'll be tuned in.

Seventyniner
02-17-2011, 12:13 PM
The AP preview has changed (at least on ESPN's website) to say that the Spurs have only lost consecutive games once.

This should be a great game!

LongtimeSpursFan
02-17-2011, 12:53 PM
I really think 'Playoff Spurs' will show up for this game as this game is going to have a playoff feel to it. Spurs win by 6 points.

boutons_deux
02-17-2011, 01:01 PM
Gonna see if the Spurs offense can overcome a pretty good defense, like they didn't do vs. Hornets.

duncan228
02-17-2011, 01:55 PM
Advanced Scouting: San Antonio Spurs at Chicago Bulls (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/spurs-stats-advanced-scouting-chicago-bulls-2-17-11)
by Scott Sereday
48 Minutes of Hell

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/spurs-stats-advanced-scouting-chicago-bulls-2-17-11

duncan228
02-17-2011, 03:15 PM
Video: Spurs vs Bulls Preview

http://www.nba.com/bulls/video/2011/02/15/0215SPURSBULLSPREVIEWmov-1559130/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

JR3
02-17-2011, 03:41 PM
on a second of a back to back I would say we have no chance, but I think this will be a very good game to watch and there are a lot of matchups to pay attention to. I like the Spurs in this one. I think they will bring the fire they had in NJ and finish the road trip in style.

Budkin
02-17-2011, 03:45 PM
to win this game must exploit the centerpiece bogans lmao

dude is avg under 4ppg and starting for the bulls...gino is going to have a field day against him

:lmao The "centerpiece."

awktalk
02-17-2011, 05:24 PM
San Antonio Spurs vs. Chicago Bulls Gameday Q&A
(http://projectspurs.com/2011-articles/february/san-antonio-spurs-vs-chicago-bulls-gameday-qaa.html)Written by Jeff Garcia | 17 February 2011

The San Antonio Spurs (46-9) will conclude their Rodeo Road Trip when they face the Chicago Bulls (37-16) tonight in Chicago at the United Center.

The Spurs are coming off a win against the New Jersey Nets (102 to 85) in New Jersey where Manu Ginobili led the way with 22 points.

The Bulls are also coming off a win against the Charlotte Bobcats (106 to 94) and will be looking to maintain their home court dominance this season as they are 24-4 at the United Center.

Both teams will be looking to head into the All-Star break with a win and to discuss tonight's match up I turn to fellow Bloguinite Marco at Horns to the Hardwood. Your one and only stop on the Internet for all things Bulls.

In this Q&A, Marco talks about the Bulls flying under the radar, keys for the Bulls to beat the Spurs and more. Check out my Q&A I did for Marco by clicking HERE.

Jeff: So many focus on the Celtics, Heat and Magic. Are people sleeping on the Bulls in the East?

Marco: People definitely are, except your John Hollinger's of the world. Everyone is enamored with the Heat and the Celtics. The Heat get the attention for having 2 superstars and one good player on their team. The Celtics get the attention because they're really good, and because Boston is ESPN's child.

The Bulls sit at 37-16, two games back of the 1 seed in the East. Of those 53 games, the Bulls have only played 9 with their starting lineup in tact due to injuries to Carlos Boozer and Joakim Noah. And the biggest reason teams are sleeping on the Bulls is because you really don't know how good Derrick Rose is until you see him everyday. He's really picked up the load with Noah and Boozer out for extended stretches, and will carry them deep into the post-season.

More here: http://projectspurs.com/2011-articles/february/san-antonio-spurs-vs-chicago-bulls-gameday-qaa.html