PDA

View Full Version : This series is so over its not even funny.

SilverPlayer
05-31-2005, 08:02 PM
Suns are toast. Everyone seems to know that except Spurs fans.

Seriously how many times did people here warn about talking about a sweep? Karma's a bitch, and don't ever forget that.

I was in a way expecting a loss. The spurs tend to lose their focus every five or so games. I'd rather that loss came now, as opposed to happening at home in the finals.

Besides a freaking week off would have been far more detrimental to this team than many here realize, much worse than this loss. Rust is a hard thing to shake off, and with home court, you can't afford to lose one of the first two in the finals.

Last thought: This spurs team especially Tim Duncan and Parker seem to need losses every once in a while to keep them from getting lazy. They respond very well to losses.

TwoHandJam
05-31-2005, 09:33 PM
Nice post.

Clandestino
05-31-2005, 10:14 PM
karma ain't shit unless you're a hindu!

Kori Ellis
05-31-2005, 10:15 PM
Besides a freaking week off would have been far more detrimental to this team than many here realize, much worse than this loss.

If the Spurs win tomorrow, they still have over a week off. The Finals don't start til June 9th.

mrcoon29
05-31-2005, 10:22 PM
The Finals don't start til June 9th.:depressed Tell me Tulsa has tv's?! :spin

T Park
05-31-2005, 10:23 PM
they also could start as early as June 5th.

I agree, the series ends tommarow night.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
05-31-2005, 10:26 PM
why is everyone so worried about rust??

I would love to have a week off and be as healthy as possible. I've heard players/coaches say rust only lasts about half a quarter.

JUUOT
05-31-2005, 10:48 PM
silver player you are reading my mind!
i agree from first word to last!
stay in rithm end this serie in 5 or 6 and directly focus on final instead of having a week of floating

Ishta
05-31-2005, 10:51 PM
Spurs end it tommorow....I can't wait to see d'antoni cry and wipe that stupid smile off of his face...

GO SPURS GO

mavsfan1000
05-31-2005, 11:02 PM
why is everyone so worried about rust??

I would love to have a week off and be as healthy as possible. I've heard players/coaches say rust only lasts about half a quarter.
It cost Miami game 1 against Detroit.

Kori Ellis
05-31-2005, 11:03 PM
they also could start as early as June 5th.

I agree, the series ends tommarow night.

No. It's set now. It's starting June 9th.

It would have been June 7th if both series ended in 5 games. But Detroit won today, so it's June 9th for sure.

Ishta
05-31-2005, 11:07 PM
No. It's set now. It's starting June 9th.

It would have been June 7th if both series ended in 5 games. But Detroit won today, so it's June 9th for sure.

Awesome!! The ninth is my husbands birthday....A Spurs win would be excellent.

Kori Ellis
05-31-2005, 11:09 PM
The ninth is my husbands birthday....

My birthday too.

Warlord23
05-31-2005, 11:10 PM
The original poster is on the money. Spurs wouldn't be Spurs if they didn't play at least one bad game every series ... game 1 vs Denver was horrible, and so was game 4 against Seattle ...heck it caused a few bandwagoners to leave the forum

They've probably had their collective brain-fart in the WCF ... Pop made bad subs, Tim looked scared and missed FTs, Tony was awful, Manu was OK but not spectacular .. I say these guys are gonna show some intensity tomorrow and close it out.

Believe.

Catharsis
05-31-2005, 11:10 PM
The series will end on Friday in San Antonio. I seriously do not see the Spurs winning in Phx again--which makes game six a must--if you're a Spurs fan.

mavsfan1000
05-31-2005, 11:13 PM
You act like Phoenix is unbeatable at home. San Antonio has demolished teams on the road like Sacramento and in the playoffs Denver. Phoenix is consistent but San Antonio's energy level will decide this game.

Tek_XX
05-31-2005, 11:15 PM
it's going to be tough in fenix due to the suns added confidence after game 4.

Warlord23
05-31-2005, 11:19 PM
The series will end on Friday in San Antonio. I seriously do not see the Spurs winning in Phx again--which makes game six a must--if you're a Spurs fan.

Possible, I agree. But that'll depend more on the Spurs themselves than the Suns' performance. Spurs have too many weapons, if two of the big three show up, and 2 of our role players (Barry/Horry/Nazr/Bowen) get hot, it's over.

Phoenix shot 57% ... JJ had Parker on him a few times ... part of the reason why Suns shot the 3-ball well was we were trying to pack it in whenever Nash penetrated off the pnr ... we need to start trapping him high on the pnr, and keep tabs on JJ, Q and Marion on the perimeter ... let Amare and Nash try to beat us ... let's see if they can keep executing through 4 quarters

SPARKY
05-31-2005, 11:20 PM
Here we go again. This series is over. Break out the brooms. Etc.

Old School Chic
05-31-2005, 11:23 PM
Spurs will lose tomorrow and win In game 6

That's what the predictions say.

Warlord23
05-31-2005, 11:26 PM
Sparky, even during the 2003 championship run, the Spurs executed better on the road. We split the 1st 2 games at home against Suns, Mavs and Nets ... but we were way better on the road ... we lost 2 on the Lakers' homecourt in the WCSF

This year is following the same pattern ... we lost game 1 to Denver, and win all the road games ... WCSF was also similar, we lost 2 on Seattle's homecourt ... In the WCF of 2003 we won all 3 games on the Mavs' homecourt, while winning 1 out of 3 on ours ... Spurs tend to choke at home, especially in 4th qtrs .... we just gotta get used to it.

AlamoSpursFan
05-31-2005, 11:29 PM

Don't get too cocky Suns Fan...the Spurs have a history of losing games they should have won only to go on the road and win games they should lose. Oh, yeah...we also have our names on a couple of these:

http://www.nba.com/media/mediacentral/larry_obrien_with_trophy_19.jpg

bigzak25
05-31-2005, 11:30 PM
this series will be over, when it is over. and not one minute before.

unless it's a blowout...in which case...i would be over a little before that.

Catharsis
05-31-2005, 11:32 PM
You act like Phoenix is unbeatable at home. San Antonio has demolished teams on the road like Sacramento and in the playoffs Denver. Phoenix is consistent but San Antonio's energy level will decide this game.
San Antonio was 21-20 on the road during the season. The two wins in Phx were very close and Joe Johnson didn't play. America West Arena will be rocking as the fans know it could be the last game of the season. I expect the Suns to win and lose game six. In THIS series (from now on) Phoenix IS unbeatable at home, imho.

Warlord23
05-31-2005, 11:37 PM
San Antonio was 21-20 on the road during the season. The two wins in Phx were very close and Joe Johnson didn't play. America West Arena will be rocking as the fans know it could be the last game of the season. I expect the Suns to win and lose game six. In THIS series (from now on) Phoenix IS unbeatable at home, imho.

You have a good sense of humour, I'll give you that ... we took our 21-20 road record to AWA and beat you by executing better on both ends of the floor in the clutch ... twice. It is awfully brave of you to make guarantees when you've seen your team do everything in their power to win one of those 2 4th quarters, and fail both times.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
05-31-2005, 11:39 PM
It cost Miami game 1 against Detroit.

BS... Shaq needed that rest, if the series started earlier, shaq might not of even played.

mavsfan1000
05-31-2005, 11:47 PM
It is only good to have rest when there is an injury. Otherwise it is good to keep playing and get in a rhythm.

FromWayDowntown
05-31-2005, 11:49 PM
21-20, Catharsis, but I've noticed that Suns fans have, for most of this season, discounted the context of that record. You might note that 8 of those 20 losses were without Duncan. Two of the 20 were the last two games of the season when the seedings had been locked up. And five of the other 12 losses were the second nights of back-to-backs. I'll grant you that every team faces that, and normally, it wouldn't be a big deal, but since the Spurs faced so many road games at less than full strength, the losses in back-to-backs are somewhat telling when you talk quality, particularly in a playoff setting, where there are no back-to-backs. Tell me that that doesn't make a difference -- at least 13 of those 20 losses came under adverse circumstances. If they win half of those games, the Spurs end up something like 28-13, among the very best in the NBA.

And, for what it's worth, the Spurs are 5-2 on the road in these playoffs.

Believe what you want.

HB22inSA
06-01-2005, 08:00 AM
I agree, but I see the Spurs getting run right out of America West tonight.

They should win in 6, but if not, prepare yourselves...

NoMoneyDown
06-01-2005, 08:14 AM
Game #4 notes ...

1. Duncan was held in check.
2. Parker missed uncontested shots.
3. Spurs' transition defense went missing.
4. Spurs' missed a lot of FTs.
5. Phoenix couldn't miss.
6. Mismatches in Suns' P-n-R's.
7. Stoudamire was superhuman in last 2:00.

And so on ...

Yet the Suns still only won by 5 points.

Any one or combination of the above in favor of the Spurs, and the WCF would be over now. Popovich will make the necessary adjustments, and the Spurs will prevail like in Games 1-3. Matter of fact, I look for the Spurs to win by at least 5 in a very high scoring game.

GrandeDavid
06-01-2005, 08:19 AM
Excellent post.

Look at the trend- one home loss against Denver, none against Seattle, one against Phoenix, none in the Finals. Okay, that's perhaps a bit of a stretch. But I agree that losses do indeed happen, even to the San Antonio Spurs. It think its over tonight as well.

Extra Stout
06-01-2005, 08:32 AM
The series is over only if the Spurs come out with the appropriate energy and focus tonight, and maintain it for most of the game.

Game 4 should have gotten their attention. In the last series, it took TWO losses in a row for the Spurs to react appropriately. We'll see whether they've learned from that.

sa_butta
06-01-2005, 08:39 AM
Game #4 notes ...

1. Duncan was held in check.
2. Parker missed uncontested shots.
3. Spurs' transition defense went missing.
4. Spurs' missed a lot of FTs.
5. Phoenix couldn't miss.
6. Mismatches in Suns' P-n-R's.
7. Stoudamire was superhuman in last 2:00.

And so on ...

Yet the Suns still only won by 5 points.

Any one or combination of the above in favor of the Spurs, and the WCF would be over now. Popovich will make the necessary adjustments, and the Spurs will prevail like in Games 1-3. Matter of fact, I look for the Spurs to win by at least 5 in a very high scoring game.
agree 100%
http://www.atpm.com/10.06/puerto-rico/images/sunset-over-pr.jpg

ladiesman
06-01-2005, 09:15 AM
Spurs are 5-2 on the road in the PLAYOFFS... Using _'Antoni's approach, the spurs played poorly, it was them who lost the game, the suns didn't beat them.... That being said..... Spurs in 6.

GhostofAlfrederickHughes
06-01-2005, 09:43 AM
The series is over only if the Spurs come out with the appropriate energy and focus tonight, and maintain it for most of the game.

Game 4 should have gotten their attention. In the last series, it took TWO losses in a row for the Spurs to react appropriately. We'll see whether they've learned from that.

An excellent point. Remember, we lost Game 3 in Seattle, by only one point----similar to Game 4 here, where we played poorly, missed FTs, etc. And then instead of responding with focus, we got our butts kicked in Game 4.
Hopefully it won't take an embarrassing loss, followed by media whispers of 'Could they collapse'?...

Spurodamus
06-01-2005, 09:52 AM
http://members.aol.com/blackrose3000/images/negrodamus.jpg

If the Spurs lay down like a vagina again, I will need a double scotch.

Extra Stout
06-01-2005, 09:57 AM
An excellent point. Remember, we lost Game 3 in Seattle, by only one point----similar to Game 4 here, where we played poorly, missed FTs, etc. And then instead of responding with focus, we got our butts kicked in Game 4.
Hopefully it won't take an embarrassing loss, followed by media whispers of 'Could they collapse'?...I think the Spurs have more respect for the Suns than they did the Sonics. Remember the Sonics curled up in the first two games. Against the Suns, the Spurs had to play spectacular the first two games to squeak out wins, and after playing dominant for three quarters of Game 3, had to sweat a little bit. None of the wins have come easy.

The Spurs expected the second half of Game 4 to be easy. They abandoned their defensive strategy of containing shooters. They stopped communicating in transition. They failed to maintain the proper respect for what the Suns could do to them.

I believe the Spurs have gotten the message that they have to stay disciplined and adhere to the game plan against Phoenix. If they go back to what worked, I think they'll have the same results.