PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Bynum's value..

HarlemHeat37
02-16-2011, 11:55 PM
This isn't a troll thread, it's a legit question..

Ignoring his shitty game tonight, Bynum is obviously a legit "prospect" that has shown flashes of dominance..he has one of the best post games in the NBA, he has rare size, pretty good defensive player, and he's still very young..

Obviously, he has injury issues, and has also been accused of having motivational issues, as well..

What's Bynum's value?..it should also be noted that he's getting paid around 45 million $ for the next 3 seasons, which he certainly hasn't earned, at this point..

milkshakeballa
02-16-2011, 11:57 PM
Harlem - how have you been brother?

milkshakeballa
02-16-2011, 11:58 PM

Ignoring his shitty game tonight, Bynum is obviously a legit "prospect" that has shown flashes of dominance..he has one of the best post games in the NBA, he has rare size, pretty good defensive player, and he's still very young..

Obviously, he has injury issues, and has also been accused of having motivational issues, as well..

What's Bynum's value?..it should also be noted that he's getting paid around 45 million $ for the next 3 seasons, which he certainly hasn't earned, at this point..

He has value. As a second option with consistent touches he can put up 18/10.

He also has a team option his 3rd year..

baseline bum
02-16-2011, 11:59 PM
http://wheat-penny.com/blogimages/2009/02/wheatpenny.jpg

DJ Mbenga
02-17-2011, 12:02 AM

i beleive the last year is not guaranteed salary.

ElNono
02-17-2011, 12:07 AM
The looming problem I see with Bynum is that if the Lakeshow doesn't pull it off this season, he's going to ask for a bigger role. He's already bitching about touches. I don't think that's going to fly with Kome. Is he going to be on the block?

Mugen
02-17-2011, 12:11 AM
Mayo/Thabeet/Vasquez

dav4463
02-17-2011, 01:41 AM
Anybody remember Benoit Benjamin or Joe Barry Carroll? You probably won't remember Andrew Bynum is 15 or 20 years either.

Mr. Body
02-17-2011, 04:53 AM
That contract, injury prone, and a nagging sense he may never push to another level: Stay Away.

TDMVPDPOY
02-17-2011, 05:40 AM
That contract, injury prone, and a nagging sense he may never push to another level: Stay Away.

compared to ther deals in the league, its worth it man

lol eddy curry

Warlord23
02-17-2011, 06:02 AM
Find the odd man out:

Roy Hibbert (IND): 27.5 MPG, 12.9 PPG, 7.8 RPG, $1.6 million

Andrew Bynum (LAL): 25.5 MPG, 11.4 PPG, 7.4 RPG, $13.8 million

Javale McGee (WAS): 26.9 MPG, 9.2 PPG, 7.6 RPG, $1.6 million

DeJuan Blair (SAS): 22.3 MPG, 8.6 PPG, 7.5 RPG, $1 million

Kwame Brown (CHA): 22.7 MPG, 7 PPG, 6.7 RPG, $1.2 million

ohmwrecker
02-17-2011, 09:05 AM
Anybody remember Benoit Benjamin or Joe Barry Carroll? You probably won't remember Andrew Bynum is 15 or 20 years either.

I remember Benoit Benjamin. He had a disproportionately tiny head.

Bito Corleone
02-17-2011, 09:52 AM
No way in hell is he worth $15M/year. I think his legit dollar value would be somewhere between 7-8 mil based on what he's shown thus far (both skill, and being injury prone)

rickross
02-17-2011, 09:55 AM
Find the odd man out:

all future HOF imo. :lol

rickross
02-17-2011, 09:57 AM
lemme add another one:

jj hickson 26mpg 12.4PPG 7.7RBD $1.52 mill

Another HOF.. league full of dem.

in2deep
02-17-2011, 10:14 AM
Bynum has same trade value as Oden or Yao at this point

JamStone
02-17-2011, 10:17 AM
Find the odd man out:

To be fair, three of those guys are still on their rookie contracts. You could have compared his numbers to guys like Tyson Chandler, Andris Biedrins, Mehmet Okur, and Nene. Yes he's very much overpaid for his production. But it wouldn't be so crazy if you didn't include rookie contract salary players.

Mal
02-17-2011, 10:31 AM
To be fair, three of those guys are still on their rookie contracts. You could have compared his numbers to guys like Tyson Chandler, Andris Biedrins, Mehmet Okur, and Nene. Yes he's very much overpaid for his production. But it wouldn't be so crazy if you didn't include rookie contract salary players.

Do you think that this Caracter guy wouldnt have equal numbers in 26 MPG ?

Venti Quattro
02-17-2011, 10:32 AM
Bynum is important because he's one of the main cast that have been featured with the vaunted height and length that the Lakers have been using to fuck the league in the past seasons.

But he's overvalued.

JamStone
02-17-2011, 10:48 AM
Do you think that this Caracter guy wouldnt have equal numbers in 26 MPG ?

I'm not sure, but my guess is no. Caracter would still be playing fourth fiddle at best to Kobe, Pau, Odom, perhaps even more so than Bynum. Bynum is still putting up 16 and 10 when you adjust his minutes to 36 per game. And he's shooting 55% from the field. He had a horrible game last night. And I'm not saying he's all that great. But consider the team he's playing for, the players he's playing with, and the minutes he gets, his production is more than adequate. Is it worth his salary? Hell no. But he's still producing at an adequate rate.

Venti Quattro
02-17-2011, 10:50 AM
Caracter is slow, foul-prone and undersized. Why are you guys even talking about him? He's not going to do shit. He's a dumber version of Glen Davis.

Who I want to develop is Ebanks, because Artest probably will have a major meltdown sooner or later.

Mr. Body
02-17-2011, 11:16 AM
Find the odd man out:

Wow. :wow

Warlord23
02-17-2011, 11:37 AM

You're right. However, what that shows is that Bynum-level production can be had in this league through relatively inexpensive young players, rather than spending big. On top of the mediocre per-game numbers, Bynum is injury prone as well, making that $15 MM per year deal look even more ridiculous.

JamStone
02-17-2011, 12:10 PM
You can't compare Bynum's salary to rookie scaled salaries.

Being injury prone is one thing. But when you compare his actual production with players still on their rookie salaries, it's a failed attempt at making a point that has anything to do with him being worth his salary compared to others.

Warlord23
02-17-2011, 12:49 PM
You can't compare Bynum's salary to rookie scaled salaries.

Being injury prone is one thing. But when you compare his actual production with players still on their rookie salaries, it's a failed attempt at making a point that has anything to do with him being worth his salary compared to others.

You're missing the point. What I'm saying is that I don't see the Spurs paying Blair $12 MM, or the Wizards paying McGee $10 MM. None of these other players will sniff a Bynum-type payday, and that was LA's mistake - outbidding themselves.

JamStone
02-17-2011, 01:11 PM
That much is true, but when you compare $13.8 million to less than $2 million on a rookie scale, it's misleading. Blair won't make $12 million but the difference won't be $10 million plus a year. McGee might actually make around $10 million. Biedrins got $9 million a year. Joakim Noah got $12 million a year. Samuel Dalembert makes $12 million this year. Emeka Okafor makes about $12-13 million a year.

Sorry to inform you, but the going rate for even an average center in the NBA can be anywhere from $8-12 million a year. Bynum is overpaid, yes. But when you look around the league, young centers with legitimate center size make bank. That's just how it is. I wouldn't be surprised if McGee gets a contract worth $9-10 million a year, not at all surprised. Hell, Nene got a contract worth about $11 million a year after he missed basically an entire season.

Blair won't make $12 million. But he's also undersized for both the PF and C positions and he has no ACLs, which carries longterm risk. I still wouldn't be surprised if he got a contract worth $6-7 million a year. Considering his risks, that wouldn't shock me. Blair is a special case though. If Blair was a legitimate 6'10 or taller and had both ACLs, you would be talking about the Spurs potentially paying him $10-12 million a year because you could bet that there would be other teams willing to offer him that much.

Bynum got overpaid. But how overpaid? If he made $10-12 million a year instead of $14-15 million a year, he would pretty much fall in line with the going rate. So the Lakers spent an extra $3-4 million a year on a young kid they had extremely high hopes for. Shit, that happens with pretty much every team in the NBA when it comes to overpaying young kids with potential.

Cry Havoc
02-17-2011, 01:34 PM
That much is true, but when you compare $13.8 million to less than $2 million on a rookie scale, it's misleading. Blair won't make $12 million but the difference won't be $10 million plus a year. McGee might actually make around $10 million. Biedrins got $9 million a year. Joakim Noah got $12 million a year. Samuel Dalembert makes $12 million this year. Emeka Okafor makes about $12-13 million a year.

Sorry to inform you, but the going rate for even an average center in the NBA can be anywhere from $8-12 million a year. Bynum is overpaid, yes. But when you look around the league, young centers with legitimate center size make bank. That's just how it is. I wouldn't be surprised if McGee gets a contract worth $9-10 million a year, not at all surprised. Hell, Nene got a contract worth about $11 million a year after he missed basically an entire season.

Blair won't make $12 million. But he's also undersized for both the PF and C positions and he has no ACLs, which carries longterm risk. I still wouldn't be surprised if he got a contract worth $6-7 million a year. Considering his risks, that wouldn't shock me. Blair is a special case though. If Blair was a legitimate 6'10 or taller and had both ACLs, you would be talking about the Spurs potentially paying him $10-12 million a year because you could bet that there would be other teams willing to offer him that much.

Bynum got overpaid. But how overpaid? If he made $10-12 million a year instead of $14-15 million a year, he would pretty much fall in line with the going rate. So the Lakers spent an extra $3-4 million a year on a young kid they had extremely high hopes for. Shit, that happens with pretty much every team in the NBA when it comes to overpaying young kids with potential.

Great post.

You CANNOT blame the Lakers for paying Bynum what they did. You don't take a gamble on a potential A-list center in this day and age, because they've become fairly rare. Had the Spurs taken a shot at Bynum, I would have loved the idea. Mobile 7'2" guys that can score... they just don't come along every draft.

Bynum's contract isn't HORRIFIC, it's just bad.

Now Walton, Artest, and Blake -- THOSE are awful, awful contracts with really no potential rationale, except perhaps Artest. But even with him, they knew it was a huge gamble and they signed him anyway. We've seen teams sign players like this in the past thinking they could change the player. It just doesn't happen 9 times out of 10. If they're willing to pay him that to get a single ring, more power to them. The Lakers might have mortgaged their next 4 years to do it though, because that's a massive contract and it's only going to get worse every game that Artest releases a mixtape after.

8FOR!3
02-17-2011, 04:40 PM
Find the odd man out:

I had no idea Kwame Brown was putting up 7 and 7. Meh, still a bust but good for him.

Cry Havoc
02-17-2011, 04:52 PM
I had no idea Kwame Brown was putting up 7 and 7. Meh, still a bust but good for him.

He's been pretty solid this year, actually. Makes you wonder if he just needed different coaching to really "get" it. Or perhaps he's applying himself now.

FkLA
02-17-2011, 04:59 PM
If Bynum's knees hold up, he can still be a beast in this league. He towers over practically everyone...and has a solid post-game. I dont think he'll ever reach his peak playing alongside Kobe though, he wont allow itt.

awktalk
02-17-2011, 05:05 PM
http://www.occams-razor.info/images/3dollarbill_807.jpg

jjktkk
02-17-2011, 05:12 PM
http://www.occams-razor.info/images/3dollarbill_807.jpg

:lol

cobbler
02-17-2011, 05:16 PM
Caracter is slow, foul-prone and undersized. Why are you guys even talking about him? He's not going to do shit. He's a dumber version of Glen Davis.

Who I want to develop is Ebanks, because Artest probably will have a major meltdown sooner or later.

I am a bit perplexed why PJ isnt giving him some PT as well with Barnes being out and Ron just plain stinking it up.