PDA

View Full Version : I believe the Lakers will make a trade before the deadline

MavFan6488
02-17-2011, 10:55 AM
and it's going to be either bynum or artest involved. in the last 3 games they played like they know something is going to happen...

Venti Quattro
02-17-2011, 10:59 AM
I hope so.

Cry Havoc
02-17-2011, 11:01 AM
I hope so.

Other than Melo, who could the Lakers realistically have a shot at?

lefty
02-17-2011, 11:03 AM
Do they really need to make a trade?
I don't think so; I think they are still good and deep, despite the bad stretch; but at the same time, Mitch must under some pressure.

Didnt Buss say a few days ago that he was against a trade and that his team would figure it out?

Spurologist
02-17-2011, 11:05 AM
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/1226/screenshot20110216at112.png

Venti Quattro
02-17-2011, 11:06 AM
Don't need Melo, really. The Lakers already have Kobe. But if it means Artest would be gone, then I would want Mitch to pull the trigger.

NRHector
02-17-2011, 11:06 AM
I hope so.me too

in2deep
02-17-2011, 11:07 AM
that's right. They will be good and dangerous but no way they will repeat with that cast.

I also beleive there will be a BIG trade this allstar weekend. Not sure which teams will be involved but there will be a trade.

xtremesteven33
02-17-2011, 11:08 AM
Spurs best in the West, Lakers in panic mode....Good times :toast

Cry Havoc
02-17-2011, 11:10 AM
Don't need Melo, really. The Lakers already have Kobe. But if it means Artest would be gone, then I would want Mitch to pull the trigger.

For WHO?

Who is going to take his mixtape dropping 8mil a year contract?

Venti Quattro
02-17-2011, 11:12 AM
I don't know and I don't care how Mitch does it, any decent player. I want Artest gone.

It's like a relationship. It has run its course and it's time to find a new one

Mr. Body
02-17-2011, 11:19 AM
Need a better bench. Don't need a superstar in any sense -- just more talent. Perimeter defenders, a good point guard, good shooters.

Bynum's contract is pretty bad.
Artest, I can't see anybody wanting.

lefty
02-17-2011, 11:37 AM
Lakers Trade Rumors: Los Angeles Reportedly Out Of The Running For Carmelo Anthony

Feb 16 9:34a by Jordan Ruby (http://www.sbnation.com/users/Jordan%20Ruby)
One thing we'll never know for sure is how serious the Lakers were about acquiring Carmelo Anthony from the Nuggets. Some reports said that they had entered preliminary discussions with the team, but pretty much every team talks to every other team at this time of year. We have no idea if those talks ever approached anything close to serious.
What we do know now is that the Lakers "pursuit" of Anthony, no matter how serious it ever got, is likely over, according to Alan Hahn of Newsday (http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo;JSESSIONID=EA8D022E6E9C1A1C21E3.3052?site=n ewsday&view=knicks_item&feed:a=newsday_5min&feed:c=knicks&feed:i=1.2690061&nopaging=1). The Knicks are reportedly the last team standing, and that leaves all of the other teams that had shown interest (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2011/2/15/1995192/nba-trade-rumors-2011-deadline) over the past few months left looking for other trade options.

So if not the Knicks, then who? Hahn reports that the Nets remain out of the picture after announcing as much last month, and the Rockets, who were considering making a move around Yao Ming's expiring contract, are also out because Anthony does not want to sign an extension there. The Lakers, who were rumored to have offered Andrew Bynum for Anthony, are out too, though truthfully, they were never really in. That leaves one darkhorse, according to Hahn.
Well, the speculation was kind of fun while it lasted. I don't think the Lakers were ever really serious about Carmelo. But it was enough for ESPN to devote hours of coverage to it, so that has to account for something.

Banzai
02-17-2011, 11:40 AM
I'd be surprised if a trade happened. So my conclusion is that a trade will not happen.

Mr. Body
02-17-2011, 11:58 AM
They never were in the running for Anthony. After the ridiculous Gasol trade, the league couldn't afford another ridiculous trade for iffy parts (Bynum).

alchemist
02-17-2011, 12:05 PM
Wouldn't be surprised to see Artest traded just to get his ass off the team. (although it will be tough to move him)

sefant77
02-17-2011, 12:20 PM
Artest is old, has a ring and dont give a fuck anymore and his contract sucks.

So it needs another old crappy player with a crappy contract...

who?

Rummpd
02-17-2011, 02:33 PM
will give the Lakers Matt Bonner, Splitter and spare parts to get Bynum who would instantly thrive next to a truely great big in Duncan and a team that actually shares the ball.

Rummpd
02-17-2011, 02:34 PM
Lakers Trade Rumors: Los Angeles Reportedly Out Of The Running For Carmelo Anthony

Feb 16 9:34a by Jordan Ruby (http://www.sbnation.com/users/Jordan%20Ruby)
One thing we'll never know for sure is how serious the Lakers were about acquiring Carmelo Anthony from the Nuggets. Some reports said that they had entered preliminary discussions with the team, but pretty much every team talks to every other team at this time of year. We have no idea if those talks ever approached anything close to serious.
What we do know now is that the Lakers "pursuit" of Anthony, no matter how serious it ever got, is likely over, according to Alan Hahn of Newsday (http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo;JSESSIONID=EA8D022E6E9C1A1C21E3.3052?site=n ewsday&view=knicks_item&feed:a=newsday_5min&feed:c=knicks&feed:i=1.2690061&nopaging=1). The Knicks are reportedly the last team standing, and that leaves all of the other teams that had shown interest (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2011/2/15/1995192/nba-trade-rumors-2011-deadline) over the past few months left looking for other trade options.

So if not the Knicks, then who? Hahn reports that the Nets remain out of the picture after announcing as much last month, and the Rockets, who were considering making a move around Yao Ming's expiring contract, are also out because Anthony does not want to sign an extension there. The Lakers, who were rumored to have offered Andrew Bynum for Anthony, are out too, though truthfully, they were never really in. That leaves one darkhorse, according to Hahn.
Well, the speculation was kind of fun while it lasted. I don't think the Lakers were ever really serious about Carmelo. But it was enough for ESPN to devote hours of coverage to it, so that has to account for something.

The LAL made a smart decision trade big parts for that over-ranked fraud of a supertstar?

jjktkk
02-17-2011, 02:38 PM
For WHO?

Who is going to take his mixtape dropping 8mil a year contract?

This.

#41 Shoot Em Up
02-17-2011, 02:40 PM
They still have enough to beat Boston or Miami come June

baseline bum
02-17-2011, 02:46 PM
Why would any realistic trading partner want Artest? I think he's a good player in a horrible slump as is a lot better than this season would seem to indicate, but he's still a vet in the twilight of his career and thus worthless to a team that isn't trying to win the title right now. And there's no way Boston, San Antonio, Miami, or Dallas is dealing with LA.

Banzai
02-17-2011, 03:13 PM
Why would any realistic trading partner want Artest? I think he's a good player in a horrible slump as is a lot better than this season would seem to indicate, but he's still a vet in the twilight of his career and thus worthless to a team that isn't trying to win the title right now. And there's no way Boston, San Antonio, Miami, or Dallas is dealing with LA.

If Artest was on the Spurs..how would he do?

Muser
02-17-2011, 03:18 PM
He'd cause a marginal increase in defense but a large drop in offense if you replace Jefferon with Artest.

Cry Havoc
02-17-2011, 03:20 PM

You mean, would he get off the bench more than 5 games a year after making a rotation that makes Pop want to punt his skull into the 10th row?

HarlemHeat37
02-17-2011, 03:49 PM
I'd be surprised if LA doesn't make a trade, but I don't think it will be a major move..they have a TE from Sasha, right?..

Realistically, no team will touch Artest, but it's the Lakers, so I guess it's possible..

Mal
02-17-2011, 04:09 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=4om95tr

mindcrime
02-17-2011, 04:15 PM
They still have enough to beat Boston or Miami come June

:rolleyes

Donkeybong
02-17-2011, 04:31 PM
We just need to get rid of Artest. Id much rather have barnes start. Trade Artest for a point or another big as long as their not over 25. I dont care if we get border-line D-leaguers, we'll be better with Artest gone, just like when Kwame wasnt on the floor.

baseline bum
02-17-2011, 04:40 PM

One of he and Pop would be dead, and the other would be sporting county blues for the next 20 years. A lose-lose situation if you ask me.

duncan228
02-17-2011, 11:57 PM
Updated with quotes.

Lakers GM Kupchak says trade unlikely (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-lakers-kupchaksconcerns)
By Greg Beacham

Mitch Kupchak wanted a little advice from his predecessor as the Los Angeles Lakers’ general manager after his two-time NBA champions lost to the lowly Cleveland Cavaliers.

“That handbook you left me on how to be a great general manager doesn’t include a chapter on what to do after a game like last night,” Kupchak said to Jerry West.

West was as silent as a statue Thursday night, leaving Kupchak to figure out the confounding champs on his own during the All-Star break.

After attending the unveiling of West’s statue outside Staples Center on Thursday night, Kupchak said he’s unlikely to make a trade before the Feb. 24 deadline, even while their fans are abuzz with rumors claiming the Lakers have shown interest in acquiring disgruntled Denver superstar Carmelo Anthony, or getting rid of struggling forward Ron Artest.

“I think it’s unlikely,” Kupchak said. “But there’s eight days to go. All of the general managers are here in Los Angeles this weekend, and there will be a lot of yapping. There will be a lot of guys moving off to the side, and there will be a lot of phone calls. … I stand by what I said, that it’s unlikely, but I don’t think any general manager can stand here and say there will be absolutely no changes in eight days, in particular at this time of year.”

The Lakers headed into the break with three straight road losses, including Wednesday’s lifeless effort against the NBA’s worst team in Cleveland.

Yet Los Angeles (38-19), which won the first four games of its lengthy trip, still has the league’s sixth-best record at the break and a nine-game lead in the Pacific Division.

Although Kupchak says the loss to Cleveland is the Lakers’ rock-bottom worst moment of the season “to date,” he’s determined not to make a panic move.

“There’s a tendency to overreact, and I get it,” Kupchak said. “This team is not that different than the team we had last year, and in some ways, it’s been improved. We have guys that didn’t forget overnight how to practice and play.”

The Lakers returned home for the break after back-to-back losses to Charlotte and Cleveland during a season that already included home losses to Sacramento, Milwaukee and Memphis. They’ve also struggled against the NBA’s best teams despite beating the Boston Celtics earlier in the road trip.

The Lakers’ overstuffed $91 million payroll limits their flexibility in deals, although owner Jerry Buss hasn’t objected to paying a hefty luxury tax as long as his team is a title contender.

“Dr. Buss wants to win now,” Kupchak said. “I don’t think that’s a question. It’s my job to look to the future a little bit, but we have a coach that wants to win now, too. I don’t think that’s going to change.”

Coach Phil Jackson repeatedly has said he’ll retire after the season. Although the Lakers’ core is mostly still in its prime, Los Angeles has eight regulars who are at least 30 years old.

The Lakers reportedly kicked the tires earlier this month on a potential trade for Anthony, the NBA’s sixth-leading scorer, although other reports claimed the rumor was nonsense. Another report claimed the Lakers have attempted to trade Artest, whose statistical averages and defensive performances are both near the lowest points of the wild-card forward’s career.

After Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol represent the Lakers in Sunday’s All-Star game at Staples Center, the Lakers return at home against Atlanta on Tuesday night. Kupchak hopes they won’t shake off the embarrassment of losing in Cleveland during their long weekend off.

“A lot of times, maybe it’s the way it’s supposed to be,” Kupchak said. “We have five days to think about it, and maybe that turns out to be a rallying point. … Let’s see where it leads. Sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before you can climb up.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-lakers-kupchaksconcerns