PDA

View Full Version : Spurs guard Gary Neal will be featured on a segment of ESPN's Outside the Lines...

ace3g
02-17-2011, 12:44 PM
Set your DVRs: Spurs guard Gary Neal will be featured on a segment of ESPN's Outside the Lines. Sunday, 9 a.m ET.

-McDonald

boutons_deux
02-17-2011, 12:53 PM
Sunday, 9 AM, that's prime time. :)

DesignatedT
02-17-2011, 02:04 PM
sweet.

Buddy Holly
02-17-2011, 02:08 PM
I wonder if the interviewer was able to neal with the fact that he or she was interviewing Gary Neal.

boutons_deux
02-17-2011, 02:12 PM
Will rape come up? iow, is this ESPN? :)

clambake
02-17-2011, 02:13 PM
Will rape come up? iow, is this ESPN? :)

wouldn't be a real interview without it.

clambake
02-17-2011, 02:14 PM
you can't un-rape a bell.

arodz
02-17-2011, 02:18 PM
Sunday, 9 AM, that's prime time. :)

Guess you missed the AM part

Sec24Row7
02-17-2011, 02:19 PM
Do they know he is on the spurs?

coyotes_geek
02-17-2011, 02:30 PM
Do they know he is on the spurs?

Outside The Lines does pretty good work IMO. They go beyond the appealing to the masses garbage and look for actual stories that are interesting. It's not the same crap that most espn programming is. Any other ESPN show and I'd expect Gary to just be asked what's his favorite Blake Griffin dunk and what's it like to be in the same NBA Lebron James is in, but since it's OTL it should be a good piece.

boutons_deux
02-17-2011, 02:34 PM
I guess you missed the sarcasm.

Leftyventricle
02-17-2011, 03:31 PM
i think it'll be something like this:

QkIy8P-TLng

howbouthemspurs
02-17-2011, 07:09 PM
cant wait to see it!

Obstructed_View
02-17-2011, 07:11 PM
you can't un-rape a bell.

You can rape a bell?

Bender
02-17-2011, 07:13 PM
Guess you missed the AM part
boutons was joking...

PublicOption
02-17-2011, 07:50 PM
if rape comes up, if I were Gary I would say...."when other people in my neighborhood would say they wanted to be like Mike, I would think to myself I would rather be like Kobe"

alchemist
02-17-2011, 10:46 PM
Any other ESPN show and I'd expect Gary to just be asked what's his favorite Blake Griffin dunk and what's it like to be in the same NBA Lebron James is in, but since it's OTL it should be a good piece.
:lmao

Spurologist
02-17-2011, 10:49 PM
I wonder if the interviewer was able to neal with the fact that he or she was interviewing Gary Neal.

what ever the case may be, he or she will have to neal with it

jimo2305
02-17-2011, 11:12 PM
Outside The Lines does pretty good work IMO. They go beyond the appealing to the masses garbage and look for actual stories that are interesting. It's not the same crap that most espn programming is. Any other ESPN show and I'd expect Gary to just be asked what's his favorite Blake Griffin dunk and what's it like to be in the same NBA Lebron James is in, but since it's OTL it should be a good piece.

:lol:lol

i agree with your opinion on OTL.. however.. i kinda do wish that negative stuff in his past wouldn't be brought into attention like that tho..

wontstartdumbthreads
02-17-2011, 11:22 PM
You can rape a bell?

You can rape anything with nipples.

Kindergarten Cop
02-20-2011, 02:01 PM
This was an interesting piece. Neal seems VERY gracious that the Spurs took a chance on him and gave him the opportunity to resurrect (or perhaps even begin) his career. He appears to have a very down-to-earth type of personality and recognizes his role.

When asked by the reporter, "How long are you going to be happy playing a role here (in San Antonio)?" he responded "Forever". The reporter followed with, "Even if it's off the bench?" and he very quickly responded with a question of his own, "Do you think I'm better than Manu Ginobili?" The reporter redirected his question back to him and Neal snickered as he said "No, so ... you know of course I'm going to come off the bench behind Manu Ginobili. I have no problem doing that."

I can see him in San Antonio for a very long time. :flag:

SenorSpur
02-20-2011, 02:06 PM
This was an interesting piece. Neal seems VERY gracious that the Spurs took a chance on him and gave him the opportunity to resurrect (or perhaps even begin) his career. He appears to have a very down-to-earth type of personality and recognizes his role.

When asked by the reporter, "How long are you going to be happy playing a role here (in San Antonio)?" he responded "Forever". The reporter followed with, "Even if it's off the bench?" and he very quickly responded with a question of his own, "Do you think I'm better than Manu Ginobili?" The reporter redirected his question back to him and Neal snickered as he said "No, so ... you know of course I'm going to come off the bench behind Manu Ginobili. I have no problem doing that."
I can see him in San Antonio for a very long time. :flag:

That was, by far, my favorite moment of the piece. Once again, it reminds us fans, and shows the rest of the world, that the Spurs FO are masters at finding talented players, who have truly "gotten over themselves".

jimo2305
02-20-2011, 02:08 PM
That was, by far, my favorite moment of the piece. Once again, it reminds us fans, and shows the rest of the world, that the Spurs FO are masters at finding talented players, who have truly "gotten over themselves".

unfortunately i missed neal segment this morning but i did hear that statement whent hey played it on the radio the week before.. that was my favorite part too

lil'mo
02-20-2011, 02:11 PM
when's tha mothafudgin rerun?

EricB
02-20-2011, 02:21 PM

But I thought the FO was shit?

coughrascalcough

5in10
02-20-2011, 05:05 PM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6141325&categoryid=2459788

Just an amazing piece on Neal.

ploto
02-20-2011, 05:22 PM

I wanted to like the piece, but it bothers me that his response to the question of the sex was - "I didn't do anything wrong." Whether it was illegal or not, it definitely was wrong. He took no responsibility for his behavior or his choices on that night.

8FOR!3
02-20-2011, 05:23 PM
His wife is cute. What an incredible story. The way I look at it is the same with Blair. Blair got passed by a lot of teams because of knee problems, when in reality there's no knee problems, he just doesn't have them. Gary Neal didn't get any looks because of off the court issue, but the truth is there are none. Dude is a class act and ice cold shooter. Glad he's a Spur. If he was anywhere else we would hate him haha, he'd be killing us.

8FOR!3
02-20-2011, 05:24 PM
I wanted to like the piece, but it bothers me that his response to the question of the sex was - "I didn't do anything wrong." Whether it was illegal or not, it definitely was wrong. He took no responsibility for his behavior or his choices on that night.

It's wrong to have consensual sex? Shit I had no idea.

:wow

He was acquitted. Get over it and Neal with it.

ploto
02-20-2011, 05:27 PM
It's wrong to have consensual sex? Shit I had no idea.

:wow

He was acquitted. Get over it and Neal with it.

A woman that drunk can not consent by law. It is wrong to have sex with a girl so drunk she is puking.

8FOR!3
02-20-2011, 05:31 PM
A woman that drunk can not consent by law. It is wrong to have sex with a girl so drunk she is puking.

Obviously you haven't nealt with it yet.

Slomo
02-20-2011, 05:32 PM

I'm sorry but I don't understand. Assuming that the sex was consensual (and if I remember right that was the court's verdict), what was wrong?

DesignatedT
02-20-2011, 05:41 PM

oh gtfo.

Slomo
02-20-2011, 05:42 PM
OK just saw your answer above,

Not trying to defend Neal, I disagree about her not being able to make decisions just because she was vomiting. I've seen drunken women coming on to men, when they probably shouldn't have. I'm also sure the alcohol played a role in their boldness, and most probably some regretted it the day after. But they usually knew what they were doing at that moment.

Was the whole thing in bad taste? Sure. Wrong? Well based on the verdict - no.

Spurs Brazil
02-20-2011, 05:48 PM

Great piece. Thanks for posting

Muser
02-20-2011, 05:51 PM
Don't give a shit about his personal life, only his life on the court.

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-20-2011, 06:14 PM
Obviously you haven't nealt with it yet.

:lol

Seventyniner
02-20-2011, 06:42 PM

Isn't that like saying you can't convict anyone for DUI if they were really, really wasted? You are still responsible for your actions, even while drunk.

FuzzyLumpkins
02-20-2011, 07:00 PM
Isn't that like saying you can't convict anyone for DUI if they were really, really wasted? You are still responsible for your actions, even while drunk.

Yup, either that or issue all men breathalyzers. Blow into the..... err, tube.

koriwhat
02-20-2011, 07:02 PM
Don't give a shit about his personal life, only his life on the court.

:tu

SpursNextRomanEmpire
02-20-2011, 07:13 PM
Great piece

manufan10
02-20-2011, 07:22 PM

:tu

SouthTexasRancher
02-20-2011, 08:05 PM

Wha Tha??? Are you some kind of weirdo Holy Roller Talking In Tongues TV Evangelist? Who the hell are you to judge another person's sex/private life. It was proven in court that it was not rape! You are one strange dude or dudette. :ihit

SouthTexasRancher
02-20-2011, 08:11 PM

Thanks for the link. Great piece even though we have a couple of holier than thou, pompous, self-righteous, condescending, arrogant, high-handed, imperious, haughty, supercilious, insolent, egotistical, judgemental Holy Rollers that post here.

MarHill
02-20-2011, 11:16 PM
Wha Tha??? Are you some kind of weirdo Holy Roller Talking In Tongues TV Evangelist? Who the hell are you to judge another person's sex/private life. It was proven in court that it was not rape! You are one strange dude or dudette. :ihit

First of all, I did like the piece on Neal. In fact, he overcame the situation is a testament to his work ethic and great belief in himself. Also, being in the right place at the right time as well.

Now, I find it funny when people write who are you to judge someone's sex life or personal life...etc. I do agree with Ploto what he did was wrong, whether it was illegal or not. However, people do wrong things all the time and deserve another chance.

Just like it someone kills another person....that person should be judge for his actions and accept responsibility for those actions.

Unfortunately, people in our society feel like they can do whatever they want and not suffer any consequences for their actions. At the same time, it doesn't meant that person's life (who did the wrong action) is over (and held over them forever) and redemption is always there for them.

And the fact....that you called someone self-righteous or religious holy roller tv evangelist shows you missed the true teachings of Christianity( where you believe it or not) about everyone deserves grace and mercy no matter what they've done. But, still can be judge for their actions as well.

Finally, I'm glad for Gary Neal for overcoming a dark situation in his life and deserves the recognition he is getting.

MarHill
02-20-2011, 11:25 PM

Ploto,

I believe you have to be very careful and in saying someone hasn't taken responsibility for their actions.

Gary may have taken responsibility for his actions privately and has a right to say he didn't anything wrong.

I do agree with you that his actions was wrong. But, everyone deserves a chance at redemption and to move on with their lives.

Moreover, people can do things wrong and we are allow to judge their actions and don't have to condemn them as human beings.

Unfortunately, our current society thinks if someone is judging their actions, then we are condemning them as a person. That's not true.

It's a fine line we have to walk....but we must do it anyway.

Mark in Austin
02-20-2011, 11:48 PM
:lol @ "You think I'm better than Manu Ginobili?" Great answer to a baited question.

Em-City
02-21-2011, 12:18 AM
You can rape anything with nipples.

SenorSpur
02-21-2011, 12:22 AM
But I thought the FO was shit?

coughrascalcough

...and I thought you were on, ahem, honeymoon hiatus?

ElNono
02-21-2011, 12:49 AM
That was a good vid... thanks for posting since I missed it.

ElNono
02-21-2011, 12:49 AM
Neal will have a "White Mamba" movie directed by Tarantino... book it

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-21-2011, 01:09 AM
:tu Really great piece.

howbouthemspurs
02-21-2011, 02:30 AM
Great video! I think hes going to be a spur for a long time!

~Sweetmelody~
02-21-2011, 11:07 AM
Ploto,

I believe you have to be very careful and in saying someone hasn't taken responsibility for their actions.

Gary may have taken responsibility for his actions privately and has a right to say he didn't anything wrong.

I do agree with you that his actions was wrong. But, everyone deserves a chance at redemption and to move on with their lives.

Moreover, people can do things wrong and we are allow to judge their actions and don't have to condemn them as human beings.

Unfortunately, our current society thinks if someone is judging their actions, then we are condemning them as a person. That's not true.

It's a fine line we have to walk....but we must do it anyway.

I agree but on the other side he is a role model and others will look up to him. Sometimes it's better to say, I regret certain things.

I hate to say it but I like the guy as a player and I try not think about it while he is on the court. It just colors my view and I want to enjoy the game.

Kool Bob Love
02-21-2011, 11:59 AM
Thats my dude.:toast

ploto
02-21-2011, 05:35 PM

Show me where I condemned him as a human being. I simply said that what he did was wrong, and it would be better for him to admit some responsibility for what happened that night. People who claim they did nothing wrong seldom learn from their mistakes.

ploto
02-21-2011, 05:41 PM
I disagree about her not being able to make decisions just because she was vomiting. I've seen drunken women coming on to men, when they probably shouldn't have. I'm also sure the alcohol played a role in their boldness, and most probably some regretted it the day after. But they usually knew what they were doing at that moment.

It is the law in Pennsylvania.

Mel_13
02-21-2011, 05:49 PM
It is the law in Pennsylvania.

Perhaps if she was too drunk to consent. That was the contention of the prosecution. The jury found otherwise.

ploto
02-21-2011, 06:10 PM
Perhaps if she was too drunk to consent. That was the contention of the prosecution. The jury found otherwise.

All these pages in and you still have not figured out that I do not care what the jury decided.

GeorgeShinnLooms
02-21-2011, 06:13 PM
Show me where I condemned him as a human being. I simply said that what he did was wrong, and it would be better for him to admit some responsibility for what happened that night. People who claim they did nothing wrong seldom learn from their mistakes.

He had drunken sex. His only mistake was not tapping it again in the morning.

Mel_13
02-21-2011, 06:16 PM
All these pages in and you still have not figured out that I do not care what the jury decided.

You not only contend his actions were wrong, you contend they were criminal. Clearly you do care.

texas_gator
02-21-2011, 06:24 PM
Neal! work ethic reminds me of a former Spur, wore #12...

BRUCE!

ploto
02-21-2011, 06:29 PM
Clearly you do care.

People keep saying he was found not guilty as if that proves he was not in the wrong. That verdict means nothing to me. That is what I mean by saying I do not care what the jury decided.

People are found not guilty who do things that are illegal and/or wrong all the time.

Mel_13
02-21-2011, 06:51 PM
People keep saying he was found not guilty as if that proves he was not in the wrong.

Classic ploto misdirection. I never said anything to even suggest such a thing.

That verdict means nothing to me. That is what I mean by saying I do not care what the jury decided.

People are found not guilty who do things that are illegal and/or wrong all the time.

In this thread you have said:

And:

Yet you continue to insist that he committed a crime. Seems like you want more than an admission of wrongdoing, you flat out believe he was guilty. Stop being so coy.

jsandiego
02-21-2011, 08:24 PM
There's a difference between a moral and a legal 'wrong'. You don't have to do and be convicted of something illegal to be 'wrong'.

The situation Neal was involved in was found not to be legally wrong. Moral right and wrong is determined by local standards. I would say there are plenty of people who would find the situation Neal ended up in that night to be 'wrong', morally speaking, for many different reasons. That's not "holy roller" judgmentalism, that's just public opinion that running a train with a drunk, vomiting coed is in poor taste.

In Neal's defense, this piece might have been edited, or he was giving a short answer rather than a long answer to the question. While he said "I didn't do anything wrong," he clearly has lived his life in a different manner since the incident. He's a family man now. His actions seem to show that he thinks he did something wrong that night by ending up in such a situation, and his reputation has suffered for it.

Props to Neal for getting a 2nd chance, and overcoming the bad reputation by just shutting up and playing his way onto the best team in the world.

Kori Ellis
02-21-2011, 08:40 PM
Yet you continue to insist that he committed a crime. Seems like you want more than an admission of wrongdoing, you flat out believe he was guilty. Stop being so coy.

ploto is saying that (to her) it doesn't matter if he was convicted of rape or not -- it was wrong to have sex with a woman who was bent over a sink throwing up from being so intoxicated.

Mel_13
02-21-2011, 08:46 PM
ploto is saying that (to her) it doesn't matter if he was convicted of rape or not -- it was wrong to have sex with a woman who was bent over a sink throwing up from being so intoxicated.

She thinks that Neal's conduct was both wrong and criminal, yet tried to play off her objection to the ESPN piece as only about Neal's lack of contrition.

Obstructed_View
02-21-2011, 09:13 PM

I'll be interested to see you produce the "vomiting" clause in the consent laws.

LoneStarState'sPride
02-21-2011, 09:22 PM
in neal's defense, this piece might have been edited, or he was giving a short answer rather than a long answer to the question. While he said "i didn't do anything wrong," he clearly has lived his life in a different manner since the incident. He's a family man now. His actions seem to show that he thinks he did something wrong that night by ending up in such a situation, and his reputation has suffered for it.

Props to neal for getting a 2nd chance, and overcoming the bad reputation by just shutting up and playing his way onto the best team in the world.

this

KenziE
02-22-2011, 12:29 AM
what not to like about the piece it was very straight forward and entertaining .. i coudn't careless of his past mistake which clearly made him a better person ... neal FTW baby

spurs10
02-22-2011, 01:28 AM
I find extremely hard to believe anyone would be found not guilty of rape when having sex with someone while they are throwing up in a sink. Surely there is no prosecutor that inept in Ohio or anywhere else. They probably had sex when they had been drinking, she probably got sick at some point, but since we weren't there...who knows how it played out. What if the guy is innocent?

Thompson
02-22-2011, 03:15 AM
what not to like about the piece it was very straight forward and entertaining .. i coudn't careless of his past mistake which clearly made him a better person ... neal FTW baby

Freudian.

KenziE
02-22-2011, 04:10 AM
Freudian.

you a speech doctor or somethin'? so how do you want me to set up my sentences ? teach me im all ears buddy

Giuseppe
02-22-2011, 08:32 AM
And it wasn't like the girl was of any import.

Just disposable human debris. Otherwise, Pop woulda never got the opportunity to sign Neal.

Sometimes it pays to be lucky & good.

tee, hee.

Bill_Brasky
02-22-2011, 09:11 AM
Great piece. I'm surprised Gary got off on this case, usually when girls accuse guys of rape it's taken very seriously and hardly any defense can get the guy off, no matter how full of shit the girl is.

Mrlunt925
02-22-2011, 11:31 AM
Awesome piece by OTL. I liked when she told Pop "So 'what the hell' panned out."

:flag:

m33p0
02-22-2011, 07:19 PM
if that's the case, then being piss-drunk should also be made illegal since you can't be held accountable for whatever shit happens next. she made the choice to get drunk, she has to neal with the consequences... embarrassing or not.