PDA

View Full Version : Buyout possible for Rip Hamilton

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-17-2011, 01:53 PM
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/211026/Hamilton_Buyout_Could_Lead_To_Signing_With_Boston

It mentions only Boston, but do you think there would be an interest from San Antonio?

Muser
02-17-2011, 01:55 PM
If he would come for the LLE then sure. Not going to happen though.

TimmehC
02-17-2011, 01:55 PM
Maybe if we don't have enough confidence in Neal to get the job done in the playoffs.

Darkwaters
02-17-2011, 01:57 PM
Not sure why Detroit would buy him out with two years left on the contract unless he gave a HUGE amount back. They're probably better suited to let his contract ride and trade him in the offseason as an expiring.

Brutalis
02-17-2011, 01:59 PM
Rip is a pure shooter and solid defender. We need to pursue him, we would only get better with him.

He is also a good guy off the court, not much of a thug which fits the Spurs interests.

Mavericks added Peja, and their rookie is back from injury and looks good. Not saying they will beat us cause of those facts, but they are better now than earlier this season and it wouldn't hurt us to add a great shooting guard in Rip as a security blanket in case Neal decides to pull the rookie funk out.

coyotes_geek
02-17-2011, 01:59 PM
That would be one hell of a buyout. He's still got $21 mil guaranteed after this season.

And no, I don't think the Spurs would be interested. Hamilton is a guy who needs the offense to be specifically designed to get him shots. I think it would be too much effort to get him incorporated.

The lakers should be all over this though............

tdunk21
02-17-2011, 02:01 PM
i wish prince or battier negotiates a buyout and signs with the spurs....dreaming

ohmwrecker
02-17-2011, 02:06 PM
McDyess needs to get on the phone and recruit.

DesignatedT
02-17-2011, 02:07 PM
It would be interesting to see what happens there. Rip would surely push Neal to the bench for the playoffs but is that the right move? Neal has been fantastic for us this year and an underrated defender also.

Mal
02-17-2011, 02:08 PM
Not sure why Detroit would buy him out with two years left on the contract unless he gave a HUGE amount back. They're probably better suited to let his contract ride and trade him in the offseason as an expiring.

+1 , posted such idea on the other forum

DesignatedT
02-17-2011, 02:09 PM
Also, like Coyotes_ said. Rip isn't really a player that can come in fit automatically and produce. He needs the offense run through him to get involved.

Mal
02-17-2011, 02:09 PM
If he would come for the LLE then sure. Not going to happen though.

LLE now till the end of season, and full MLE later, but I wouldnt see Spurs making such move.

Buddy Holly
02-17-2011, 02:12 PM
If Spurs signed Rip I think at times Pop could have a line up of Manu at 1, Neal at 2 and Rip at 3 with Jefferson at 4 and Blair at 5. Ultra small ball but could be really affective given Manu, Neal, Rip and Jefferson are all three point threats and shooters.

They'd space the floor great for Manu and Blair in the paint.

Muser
02-17-2011, 02:12 PM
Jefferson at the 4...Urgh..

DesignatedT
02-17-2011, 03:19 PM
Hamilton would be great insurance for sure, just in case of an injury or a slump. However, that second unit off the bench has such a wide open offensive that I can see RIP having a lot of offensive sets directed towards him.

See above to wide open offense, but yes it is a valid point.

I say the Spurs cross the road for pursuing Hamilton after he is bought out. At the moment it seems really unlikely.

Wherever he signs he is definitely going go want a guaranteed role. He isn't going to come here as an insurance policy incase one of our guys goes down. It will have to be guaranteeing him minutes off the bench and I'm not sure pop is willing to do that over George and Gary.

ohmwrecker
02-17-2011, 03:28 PM
If Spurs signed Rip I think at times Pop could have a line up of Manu at 1, Neal at 2 and Rip at 3 with Jefferson at 4 and Blair at 5. Ultra small ball but could be really affective given Manu, Neal, Rip and Jefferson are all three point threats and shooters.

They'd space the floor great for Manu and Blair in the paint.

In order for a small ball line-up to work effectively, you need one post player who is good enough to draw a double team.

SenorSpur
02-17-2011, 03:43 PM
If the Spurs didn't already have such a crowded backcourt, Rip would be a good get - if bought=out. First, I can't see Dumars (Pistons GM) buying him out. Second, if he is, I don't know where Pop would fit him in.

Muser
02-17-2011, 03:47 PM
If the Spurs didn't already have such a crowded backcourt, Rip would be a good get - if bought=out. First, I can't see Dumars (Pistons GM) buying him out. Second, if he is, I don't know where Pop would fit him in.

Exactly. The Spurs already have Manu/Hill/Neal taking up all the minutes at the 2 that I don't know how you could fit Rip in.

Now if the Pistons for some reason buyout Prince we can get down to business.

Anonymous Cowherd
02-17-2011, 03:48 PM
If a player of his quality is available we should of course be after him

ohmwrecker
02-17-2011, 04:09 PM
Exactly. The Spurs already have Manu/Hill/Neal taking up all the minutes at the 2 that I don't know how you could fit Rip in.

Now if the Pistons for some reason buyout Prince we can get down to business.

They aren't going to buyout both of them and Rip is the most likely candidate.

Agloco
02-17-2011, 04:22 PM
That would be one hell of a buyout. He's still got $21 mil guaranteed after this season.

The lakers should be all over this though............

This

I don't see Detroit eating 20 mil + just to see someone else pick him up.

Also, LA has deeper pockets than we do. If this ever did come to pass, he'd probably wind up there.

crc21209
02-17-2011, 04:27 PM
I would take him, question is where would he fit? With TP, Manu, Hill, Neal, and RJ...I don't know if there would be enough minutes for him on the team...

MaNu4Tres
02-17-2011, 04:30 PM
He'd be a great fit for Chicago if he is bought out.

phxspurfan
02-17-2011, 04:31 PM
I thought Troy Hudson retired years ago

xmas1997
02-17-2011, 04:32 PM
Mavs will go after him hard!

Blackjack
02-17-2011, 04:34 PM
If he's bought out he'll sign a veteran minimum with a contender of his choosing. If the Spurs are the team he chooses and they want him, I'm all for it - meaning they both know what they're getting into.

But there'd definitely be a minute crunch at the 2/3 with Manu, Hill, Neal and Jefferson - leaving Anderson to wind up getting his James White on for the stretch run.

Pretty crazy to think a team would be able to come to terms with a player on a buyout with $20M + guaranteed left and a looming CBA, though. Would definitely be one helluva competitive move/gesture on Rip's part to pass on that jack for the opportunity to play, win.

Very much doubt it - but Boston would be a perfect fit for him the way they run their continuity off of Allen's movement. Would be an unreal backup for 'em . . .

ohmwrecker
02-17-2011, 04:36 PM
IF this happens . . . it will be because Rip wants out of Detroit so bad that he is willing to leave a lot of money on the table. I have to think that a guy who does that, is willing to sign on with a contender and the money isn't going to be the issue.

Cane
02-17-2011, 04:37 PM
Has Detroit changed ownership yet? I thought they were still in the process. Nonetheless Rip has too much money remaining for a buyout to be likely and I doubt he wants to sacrifice it either.

The Bulls really need a 2-guard that can shoot and defend so he'd get plenty of opportunities with them FWIW.

urunobili
02-17-2011, 04:53 PM
what's RIP's 3 point percentage?

Danny.Zhu
02-17-2011, 04:54 PM
Of course. But can we?

jjktkk
02-17-2011, 05:24 PM
what's RIP's 3 point percentage?

40%. Kinda of suprised tbh. Never really thought of Rip as a good 3-point shooter.

benefactor
02-17-2011, 06:01 PM
Neal has been great, but let's be realistic here...Rip Hamilton is not only far and away better, but he has a post season experience sheet that spills off the desk and down the hall. I would feel a lot better in the playoffs with Rip coming bench than a rookie.

xmas1997
02-17-2011, 06:07 PM
I wonder if Dyess has any sway over Rip?

In any case I don't see Rip giving up that much money.