PDA

View Full Version : Detroit gets Robo-Cop statue

RandomGuy
02-17-2011, 02:53 PM
DETROIT (Reuters) – From sci-fi cult film, to Twitter phenomenon to Detroit landmark-in-the-making.

Plans for a statue honoring RoboCop, the half-man, half-machine crimefighter of the 1987 movie, are moving ahead after a group of artists and entrepreneurs in Detroit, Michigan raised more than $50,000 via Facebook and an online fund-raising site.

"It hit a sweet spot. It's a fun and funny idea to build a statue of RoboCop," said Jeff Paffendorf, who helped lead the project inspired by a whimsical suggestion sent to Detroit Mayor Dave Bing via Twitter last week.

Bing tweeted back at the time that there were no plans for a RoboCop statue, an off-hand remark that bounced around the Internet and generated calls for him to reconsider.

"There's violence in 'RoboCop,' but through the film RoboCop tries to do the right thing," Paffendorf said.

Bing's office is still not convinced, but a spokeswoman said the city is studying how it could accept and display a gift RoboCop statue.

"We know there are a lot of people that care deeply about the issue, and we respect that," said Karen Dumas of Bing's office. "But I'm still not sure that RoboCop is the best message for the city of Detroit."

Paffendorf said the RoboCop statue could go somewhere downtown if the city approves, perhaps near the landmark fist statue honoring legendary boxer Joe Louis.

But if Detroit will not allow RoboCop on city-owned land, a nonprofit arts group plans to display the statue, he said.

Paffendorf said a sculptor and a metal artist have been chosen to complete the job.

(Reporting by Bernie Woodall and Kevin Krolicki)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110217/od_nm/us_robocob_statue_odd

resistanze
02-17-2011, 03:32 PM
I'd buy that for a dollar!

Creepn
02-17-2011, 03:41 PM
Japan erects all kinds of cartoon statues. Just put up the robocop statue and be done with it geez. It's not that big of a deal Bing!

BTW Robocop 2 was the best of them all.

baseline bum
02-17-2011, 03:53 PM
They should do one of Cheddar Bob next.

PM5K
02-17-2011, 04:57 PM
So the question is, what pose? I'd go with this one, but either way if he doesn't have that bad ass gun in his hand it's pointless.

http://cdn-www.cracked.com/articleimages/ob/robocop/lobby5.JPG

PM5K
02-18-2011, 05:05 PM
No way he's creepy without the mask.

PM5K
02-18-2011, 05:24 PM
It's not his face that's creepy, it's how half of his head is electronics and machinery.

PM5K
02-18-2011, 05:31 PM
Oops, wrong thread.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-18-2011, 06:10 PM
Its both predictable and amazing how everyone on message boards have been giving the same exact responses to this subject all across the internet. Including the picture pose suggestion. Might as well join in. "IIIII like it!"

Cant_Be_Faded
02-18-2011, 06:14 PM
Plus now i gotta add a hajj to this statue on my list of things to do before 2012.

Obstructed_View
02-18-2011, 06:19 PM
Seems like they should probably put the statue in Dallas, where they actually shot the movie.

Viva Las Espuelas
02-19-2011, 03:36 PM
A vbookie on how fast it's vandalized