PDA

View Full Version : Marion believes fatigue becoming a problem for the Spurs

TMTTRIO
06-01-2005, 12:56 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA060105.2S.BKNsuns.marion.2cd1899eb.html

Marion believes fatigue becoming a problem for Spurs
Web Posted: 06/01/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Mike Finger
Express-News Staff Writer

PHOENIX — To be sure that his Phoenix Suns had rediscovered their old up-tempo selves Monday night, Shawn Marion only had to take one look at the Spurs.

But not at Tony Parker's wobbly kneed jumper. Or Robert Horry's short-armed layup. Or Tim Duncan's sagging shoulders.

Marion was looking higher.

"You could see it in their faces," Marion said. "They were tired."

If the Spurs were indeed a bit weary, they had good reason to be. For the first time all postseason, they finally allowed an opponent to run on them — and run often — in a 111-106 Phoenix victory in Game 4 of the Western Conference finals.

On Tuesday, the Suns vowed to maintain their frenetic pace tonight in Game 5 at America West Arena. After several days of hearing that they perhaps played too fast to get to the NBA Finals, the Suns have determined that the best way to beat the Spurs is to play even faster.

"They don't want us running," Marion said, "because they can't run with us." :flipoff

That boast has yet to be proven, but the Spurs did little to dispel it Monday. After allowing Phoenix to accumulate only 28 fast-break points in the first three games of the series combined, the Spurs were outscored 26-13 on the break in Game 4.

Even though the Suns' overall scoring didn't increase dramatically — they had averaged 104 points in Games 1-3 — it was clear they controlled the pace Monday.

Steve Nash got into the open floor more often and finished with 12 assists. Marion and Quentin Richardson, two players who had struggled early in the series, started getting to the basket and finding their strokes.

And it was no coincidence that Joe Johnson, who had missed the first two games of the series with a broken eye bone, was leading the charge with 26 points on 10-of-15 shooting.

Phoenix coach Mike D'Antoni said the Suns weren't used to having Johnson in the lineup when he returned in Game 3, but by the time Game 4 rolled around, they remembered how they finished with the league's best regular-season record.

"It's remarkable," D'Antoni said of Johnson's impact on players such as Marion, Richardson and Nash. "Now everybody's back in their spots."

As part of the same trickle-down effect, the Suns not only scored more baskets in transition, they also rejuvenated another team staple — the 3-point shot.

With the Spurs scrambling to get back and stop quick layups, the Suns were able to kick the ball out and find open shooters on the perimeter. They hit 9 of 18 3-point attempts in Game 4, an improvement over their 17-for-40 efforts in the first three games combined.

But the most important product of the Suns' re-energized running game is their swagger. Johnson and Amare Stoudemire explained that pushing the tempo makes Phoenix more confident.

And Marion just kept gushing about what he considers a breakthrough.

"I think everybody finally got it in their minds that we were going to run, and we ran," Marion said. "They can't match up with that."

They're getting too cocky. It's time for the Spurs to shut them up. :elephant

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-01-2005, 01:06 AM
Where's all the forum clowns who said they liked the Suns and that this team was nice?

Joe Johnson, Amare, and now Matrix should all be on the hate list.

F 'em.

mavsfan1000
06-01-2005, 01:21 AM
Marion talks the most trash out of anyone on that team. The spurs have a reason to hate the suns and that will add fuel to the fire. The spurs will own the suns.

texbumTHElife
06-01-2005, 01:41 AM
3-1, bitch

Duncanoypi
06-01-2005, 02:00 AM
The suns were acting as if this series is tied at 3-3...WTF!...No love for the suns now spurs fans!

mavsfan1000
06-01-2005, 02:03 AM
I would love to see Marion lose. He could stop acting so cocky. That's what I hate most about that suns team. They used to have cancerbury but now they got Nash. They should learn from Nash's humbleness and not talking trash.

PM5K
06-01-2005, 02:09 AM
I guess once their backs were against the wall they figured they might as well say whatever they wanted, maybe before they were trying to avoid saying things that could be used as motivation for the Spurs...

milkyway21
06-01-2005, 02:17 AM
well, i can see fatigue on Manu's face.
http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/SA101052616_lower.jpg

But, they can survive.

Hey, Marion remember the 2003 NBA finals?
That's pretty 24 games (4-2 each series), and Duncan even had a near quadruple-double in their last game (game 6), vs. the Nets.

as what "The Terminator" puts it "NO PROBLEMO":D

mavsfan1000
06-01-2005, 02:23 AM
Phoenix is the one with the 6 or 7 man rotation. They played an exhausting second round and had no rest before playing San Antonio. San Antonio just had a letdown game. They will be fresh next game. Wasn't San Antonio coming back in the 4th quarter. Marion is just trying to get into the Spurs head.

texbumTHElife
06-01-2005, 02:30 AM
Well one thing is certain, we cannot allow them to run like that back in Phoenix or this will go atleast 6 games. However, i dont expect that to happen. This year is going to be all 5 game series just like the last ring season was all 6's. Hell this thing would be over if Tim Duncan could should just 50% from the charity stripe.

milkyway21
06-01-2005, 02:32 AM
Phoenix is the one with the 6 or 7 man rotation. They played an exhausting second round and had no rest before playing San Antonio. San Antonio just had a letdown game. They will be fresh next game. Wasn't San Antonio coming back in the 4th quarter. Marion is just trying to get into the Spurs head.Marion just awaken from a DEEP:sleep slumber and now talks nonsense! HE might as well, WORRY on how he could beat Bowen's D, than worry about the Spurs' stamina. :lol

won just 1 game, now they are acting like their chickenshit owner Sarver.

play 200% better than game 4 Suns, otherwise the Moon sets on you...there'll be eclipse tonight. :smokin

21-9-20 :owned 13-3-31-32

SirChaz
06-01-2005, 02:41 AM
I don't know what you guys are pissed about . You know as well as I do the Spurs need to slow the game and control the tempo to win. They can't get into a running game with a complete Suns team.

The Spurs can run at that pace but not as well or as long as the Suns can. They need to slow it down and use thier size advantage inside.

milkyway21
06-01-2005, 02:51 AM
I don't know what you guys are pissed about

"I think everybody finally got it in their minds that we were going to run, and we ran," Marion said. "They can't match up with that."

...i think Pops, the 2-time NBA Champion coach already had figured that out. Worry about your game, worry about Nash who is playing almost 46 min a game, worry about how to SWEEP the Spurs, then play ball.....stop the :blah :blah :blah

Tek_XX
06-01-2005, 02:54 AM
Yeah they're a little cocky after one game. Amare talking about how they have the "heart of a champion" to the ABC reporter after the game. Champion of what?.... game 4's?

texbumTHElife
06-01-2005, 02:58 AM
Yeah they're a little cocky after one game. Amare talking about how they have the "heart of a champion" to the ABC reporter after the game. Champion of what?.... game 4's?

I laughed out loud at that! Nice! :lol :lol

mavsfan1000
06-01-2005, 02:58 AM
Nash is the one running that team and if he is tired that team will slow down.

milkyway21
06-01-2005, 03:04 AM

sorry Suns fans, but :lmao :lmao :lmao

Slo spurs fan
06-01-2005, 03:07 AM
Just two words: free throws!

Kori Ellis
06-01-2005, 03:07 AM
I don't see much wrong with what Marion said. What is he supposed to say? The Suns aren't going to lay down ... and they just dominated the Spurs on fast break points in Game 4. So what's wrong with saying that they need to keep running and outrun the Spurs?

milkyway21
06-01-2005, 03:16 AM
Running : "They can't match up with that." :huh

..that's what's WRONG. The Spurs have the 2nd fastest player in the NBA next to Iverson, and his name is Tony Parker...

History:
2003, the Nets was the best fastbreaking team in the playoffs. They sweep their 1st, 2nd, 3rd opponents thru' fastbreaks led by Kidd. The Spurs found a way. Won the title.

They've been there before. They can find the answer.

stéphane
06-01-2005, 04:12 AM
Well Marion knows the spurs are a better team so he tries to find a reason why they took game 4 :p

Horry For 3!
06-01-2005, 04:39 AM
Marion is talkin shit bout the Spurs? Marion hasn't done SHIT in the series yet. hahaha Marion is a joke! :lol

nzkickass
06-01-2005, 05:38 AM
Yeah whats happened to "The matrix" ?? Credit Bowen to some great D

Solid D
06-01-2005, 06:14 AM
Whenever the Spurs experience a let-down in transition defense, they usually solve it by the next game. The Spurs had some problems on their cross-matches (example: Joe Johnson defending TP, then going back the other way, Bowen or Manu matching up on Johnson in transition). The Spurs didn't communicate well and got caught out of position too much in Game 4.

My guess is the Spurs can solve some of those issues. If they do, and if the shots fall for them like they did in the 2 previous games in PHX, then the Spurs go home the victors.

LilMissSPURfect
06-01-2005, 08:25 AM
sorry guys this thing it OVER!!!!!!!!!!! cya in the FINALS....... :elephant :elephant

easjer
06-01-2005, 08:36 AM
Well, what Marion is saying is partially true. The Spurs are getting tired, and if the Suns run things at their pace, the Spurs (being less accustomed, though hardly less capable) are more likely to get tired and to make mistakes.

However, that Shawn Marion is saying this has a split effect of making me angry and making me want to laugh uproariously for a very long time.

Poor Suns. They've tried hard, they've played as well as I think they can, they avoided a sweep and won a crucial game and even then, the reason they won couldn't really be attributed to much that they did. It's because of how badly the Spurs played. Really, three more jump shots in, a handful more free throws made, and their best efforts would not have avoided a sweep.

Can I blame them for trying to rally the confidence and get the troops ready for battle? Nope. But Shawn Marion? Mr. No Show in this series is the one trash talking? Oh, my. That is pricelessly funny.

JUUOT
06-01-2005, 08:38 AM
nothing wrong with marion comments. it is just funny how before the game they were talking about next season and now the talk as if they found the secret weapon and will win the serires.

as a spurs fan it is just funny but i recognize it is the perfect mindset if they want to survive. They need HOPE a lot of it...

but on the field the boss is and still will be tonight : the SPURS

Extra Stout
06-01-2005, 08:41 AM
Playing at the Spurs' pace is more fatiguing than playing at the Suns' pace, IMO. Physical banging is more draining than running all over the court with no contact.

Marion shouldn't have opened his mouth. Talking smack down 3-1 is pretty weak.

SWC Bonfire
06-01-2005, 08:48 AM
Where was all this talk when the Suns were "still drained from their series with the Mavericks"? Who was more fatigued then? Are you telling me that they (the suns) are becoming less fatigued as the games become closer and closer together?

kskonn
06-01-2005, 08:50 AM
Spurs will not allow that many fast break points again tonight. Duncan will be ready for the Taller joe Johnson Double team and his teamates will be in position to make the suns pay. The spurs will be very focused and the suns will have to play another perfect game just to stay in this thing.

GrandeDavid
06-01-2005, 08:51 AM
Folks, that is a comment from a desperate player in a tough battle. He's posturing his team, looking for karma, trying to get by. Its understandable that he'd say something, anything to fire his troops up.

Its just that he's dead wrong and that statement will definitely backfire tonight when Tony, Manu and Tim run them through the floorboards.

CosmicCowboy
06-01-2005, 08:53 AM
Phoenix coach Mike D'Antoni said the Suns weren't used to having Johnson in the lineup when he returned in Game 3, but by the time Game 4 rolled around, they remembered how they finished with the league's best regular-season record.

This is much more true than you guys care to admit. The Suns are dangerous. I don't think they are good enough to win 4 straight but it is gonna take a good 48 minute game from the Spurs to deliver the knockout...The Suns owned the third quarter Monday. If we let them do that again tonight for any length of time Spurs will be headed back here for a game 6.

nkdlunch
06-01-2005, 08:56 AM
He's ful of shit. You can't just scratch your balls for the first 3 games of a playoffs and then start playing like he's doing. It's too late. You fucked up Marion and you don't deserve to even win a 2nd game. Good-bye.

Solid D
06-01-2005, 09:06 AM
Marion got a spoonfull of confidence once Bowen moved over to guard Joe Johnson.

Extra Stout
06-01-2005, 09:06 AM
This is much more true than you guys care to admit. The Suns are dangerous. I don't think they are good enough to win 4 straight but it is gonna take a good 48 minute game from the Spurs to deliver the knockout...The Suns owned the third quarter Monday. If we let them do that again tonight for any length of time Spurs will be headed back here for a game 6.The Suns will make their run. They are a fabulous shooting team, and at some point shots will go in. The key is to force them to use up a lot of energy in making that run.

In Game 4, the Spurs made it too easy. You have to make them work for their points.

SPARKY
06-01-2005, 09:12 AM
:lol

Damn you people are thin skinned.

SWC Bonfire
06-01-2005, 09:16 AM
...it is gonna take a good 48 minute game from the Spurs to deliver the knockout...

I don't see how anyone could think otherwise. I know the Spurs don't. They know how talented their opponent is. It took 3 good 48 minute games to get up 3-0, and they had a decent 46 minute game and lost. I don't think the Suns can string together a good 3*48 = 144 continuous minutes.

Pop rests Horry up for the last minutes this game. I have a feeling that the Suns are in it until the end, when the Spurs deliver the death blow.

MadDog73
06-01-2005, 09:17 AM
:lol

Damn you people are thin skinned.

Oh, please. This from a person who went postal when the Spurs lost one game....

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-01-2005, 09:22 AM
I love this. The Suns narrowly beat the Spurs when the Spurs played liked absolute shit and they want to run their mouths now? Spurs will end this thing tonight. They had a laundry list of problems in game 4 and if they manage to solve just one of them then they will win, and if they solve all of them this is going to be a slaughter.

ObiwanGinobili
06-01-2005, 09:22 AM
Thats son of a B1tch.
Do we ever here this same kind of low down dirty bullsh*t coming out of Tony's mouth?? Or Timmy's??
Hell no!!!!
We can't run with them??? What freakin planet was he on the 1st 3 games??? HELLLOOO!! we out ran there a55's.
marion must feeling some desperation, sheeeiit. JUst casue you say it don't make it true.

Jimcs50
06-01-2005, 09:25 AM
I don't see much wrong with what Marion said. What is he supposed to say? The Suns aren't going to lay down ... and they just dominated the Spurs on fast break points in Game 4. So what's wrong with saying that they need to keep running and outrun the Spurs?

Thankyou.

Damn, you pussies get all worked up over a simple statement of confidence by an opponent.

What do you want Phoenix to say???

:rolleyes

weebo
06-01-2005, 09:26 AM
It's one thing to rally the troops but to do it publicly is lunacy. After having lost game four, the last thing you want to do is give the Spurs another reason to kick your ass. That's what I like about the Spurs-- High character team that doesn't talk trash through the media, call out teammates, or bitch about officiating.

Extra Stout
06-01-2005, 09:28 AM
I don't see how anyone could think otherwise. I know the Spurs don't. They know how talented their opponent is. It took 3 good 48 minute games to get up 3-0, and they had a decent 46 minute game and lost. I don't think the Suns can string together a good 3*48 = 144 continuous minutes.

Pop rests Horry up for the last minutes this game. I have a feeling that the Suns are in it until the end, when the Spurs deliver the death blow.

In Game 4, the Spurs really only showed up the last six minutes of the game.
Frankly, I think Phoenix played well for a much longer stretch in Game 2. In Game 4, they were spectacular in the second half, but pretty passive in the first. That's how the Spurs could come out so flat and still be up 7 at the break.

CosmicCowboy
06-01-2005, 09:29 AM
I love this. The Suns narrowly beat the Spurs when the Spurs played liked absolute shit and they want to run their mouths now? Spurs will end this thing tonight. They had a laundry list of problems in game 4 and if they manage to solve just one of them then they will win, and if they solve all of them this is going to be a slaughter.

funny how when the Suns have problems we credit the Spurs defense and when the Spurs have problems we don't give them the same respect...Obviously Tim's free poor throw shooting in game 4 didn't have anything to do with Suns defense and contributed to the loss, but Tims uncharacteristic almost perfect free throw shooting in game three didn't have anything to do with Spurs defense and heavily contributed to the win as well...There is no way that we "slaughter" this Suns team tonight even if the Spurs play well...

SPARKY
06-01-2005, 09:35 AM
Oh, please. This from a person who went postal when the Spurs lost one game....

Yeah, I get pissed about shit that really matters.

kskonn
06-01-2005, 09:37 AM
they way I see it they have nothing to lose. If he says that we can't run with them and the spurs go to phoenix and lose again then all of a sudden he doesn't look as stupid. If we win it doesn't matter because they are done.

They are probably equally as pissed about tim saying the spurs helped them win, that we gave it to them. He also said, we played poorly and the played a perfect game but we still had a chance to win. Sounds like tim is keeping his troops rallied as well. I used to get so pissed when the lakers would say that shit. They would always say the only reason we lose is because we beat ourselves. Tim is doing the same thing to phoenix.

SPARKY
06-01-2005, 09:45 AM
First off it's pretty stupid to be agitated when an opposing player 'talks smack' about your favorite team. In this instance it's even worse because what he said is fairly tepid.

Spurs fans get pissed off about dumb stuff like this, but when their team doesn't show up hardcore in an elimination game, a game that would've given this franchise its 3rd trip to the NBA Finals, then oh well, that's nothing.

IX_Equilibrium
06-01-2005, 09:47 AM
I'm glad Marion said that. Hopefully it will light a fire under some of the Spurs.

MadDog73
06-01-2005, 10:46 AM
First off it's pretty stupid to be agitated when an opposing player 'talks smack' about your favorite team. In this instance it's even worse because what he said is fairly tepid.

Spurs fans get pissed off about dumb stuff like this, but when their team doesn't show up hardcore in an elimination game, a game that would've given this franchise its 3rd trip to the NBA Finals, then oh well, that's nothing.

:wtf

Difference is, people are mad about false and stupid comments made by an opposing player who hasn't done shit in this series.

I don't get mad when the Spurs lose a close game. I get mad when the Spurs lose a series.

I will be upset tonight if the Spurs don't adjust. I won't mind losing a close, hard-fought game (like I feel Game 4 was), but if they don't respond to this challenge ("They can't run with us"), then I'll have reason to be upset.

easjer
06-01-2005, 10:53 AM

Well, now, I suppose it depends on what you mean by agitated. I was ticked off when I read the comments. I posted, and hadn't given it another thought until this moment.

And I think what ticks me off is they way they are talking after winning one game. But you know, whatever. Shoot your mouth off, make them mad, and maybe it will help.

As for the other? Well, how upset can you get? It wasn't the end of the series. Sure, a win was preferable. Of course we wanted it done with. Now they've opened the door a crack, and given the Suns an opportunity to come through. However unlikely I believe it to be that the Suns could actually take four in a row, the Spurs failure to close it out does them the disadvantage of making them play another, opening them to possible injuries, fatigue, etc.

But for the love of all things holy, should I lose sleep and cry and be outraged becaused they lost one game? They can (and probably will) close it out tonight, and if they don't, they've still got another chance after that. So please. All that angst? Not worth my time.

Ok, I just came back to read this, and I have to laugh, because my therapist will be so proud after I show her a print out. Me, not bothering with getting upset. :lol

MiNuS
06-01-2005, 10:55 AM
how much $$$$$ is Phoenix going to make on this last home game playoff game????

MONEY BABY! Stacks upon stacks of Franklins!

Supergirl
06-01-2005, 12:53 PM
It's not like Marion said anything MEAN about the Spurs. He just said they couldn't run with the Suns, and that's true. No one can outrun the Suns, and that's why they won 62 games in the season. But a few teams can stop the Suns running game, and the Spurs did that. Um, 3 times, real recently in fact.

Spurs have to play better transition D. Suns will come out and try and run, like they did in Games 1 and 2 at home. Johnson isn't the key to their frenetic pace, Nash is, and the SPurs have to cut off his passes and force turnovers. Let him score, but don't let him get others involved and running.

Suns also have no answer for Duncan. They can't stop him. The only one who can stop DUncan is Duncan, and he let himself get stopped in Game 4. History says, that won't happen two games in a row.

dbreiden83080
06-01-2005, 01:16 PM
I love athletes they have such big ass egos that even they are playing like total crap they still talk trash about their opponents. What the hell is Marion putting up like 9 and 7 a game here man shutup. Like Jerome James who had one good game in the last series, we got no respect for them at all man no wonder the Kings released you big fat butt, not that Marion is not good he is but simmer down buddy you have stunk in this series.

milkyway21
06-02-2005, 12:00 AM
fatiiiiigue?

hey! 18-4 3rd qtr.run......:lol

:smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin

Tek_XX
06-02-2005, 12:33 AM
We may not be able to out run ya, but we can out score ya.....NEXT!!

Experiment2100
06-02-2005, 12:42 AM
hey! 18-4 3rd qtr.run......:lol

:smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin

They did score under their season average.

milkyway21
06-02-2005, 12:53 AM
They did score under their season average.and the Spurs would you believe had an average of 108.2 pts/game in this series?

game1 121
game2 111
game3 102
game4 106
game5 101

Duncan around 28 pts/game?

how about it Stern? :smokin