PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Manu?

spursbird
02-17-2011, 10:52 PM
Is he fatigued or injured? In January and February, he's shooting 40% and 31% from beyond the arc, averaging only 16 pts. :(
I'm not blaming him, but I'm just worried. We need supermanu to be a top team in the playoffs.

DesignatedT
02-17-2011, 10:55 PM
hopefully he is coasting till the playoffs.

awktalk
02-17-2011, 10:58 PM
He's been pathetic the past few games, very inconsistent. Hope he can snap out of it, because we won't win many in the POs with this Manu. He has spurts of Manuness, but needs to bring some balance back. Have a series of good games instead of trying to be great every night.

Hooks
02-17-2011, 10:58 PM
Pop needs to rest him a lot more, he gets a lot of unnecessary minutes for some reason. He needs to play Neal more minutes and sit Manu on the bench more often.

igruex
02-17-2011, 11:04 PM
Pop needs to rest him a lot more, he gets a lot of unnecessary minutes for some reason. He needs to play Neal more minutes and sit Manu on the bench more often.

Pop's playing him because he's lost his confidence little by little... and that's huge for Manu. He really needs two or three good games to get it back for the playoffs... the ASG could help but I won't bet on that.

TDMVPDPOY
02-17-2011, 11:06 PM
his game is fkn shit

i hate it when he gets 3 continuous possessions and just chucks up lazy shots

ElNono
02-17-2011, 11:07 PM
I thought he played great against NJ?

ShoogarBear
02-17-2011, 11:09 PM
He must not have read all those threads back in November/December insisting that the early heavy minutes wouldn't matter.

spursbird
02-17-2011, 11:14 PM
Yeah, but back in 2008 playoffs vs the Fakers, he scored 30 in Game 3, and you know what happened next.

ElNono
02-17-2011, 11:16 PM
Yeah, but back in 2008 playoffs vs the Fakers, he scored 30 in Game 3, and you know what happened next.

Well, he had a bum ankle then...
To be honest, he did have a weak game tonight, but I liked that dunk at the end. It's a sign he can still be successful driving, which I'm sure we'll see more of in the real season. I don't particularly mind him not going all out right now.

spurs10
02-17-2011, 11:17 PM
He was playing with one foot in 08.

awktalk
02-17-2011, 11:17 PM

We don't need Manu to be god. We need a solid performance every night with his FG% not to drop below 40%. Way too many 6/18 shooting nights the past couple of months.

ALVAREZ6
02-17-2011, 11:20 PM
he loves slumps

he will bring it in the playoffs. he knows damn well this is their last shot.

spursbird
02-17-2011, 11:21 PM
He was playing with one foot in 08.
And that's why I'm worried if he's injured right now.

spursbird
02-17-2011, 11:22 PM
We don't need Manu to be god. We need a solid performance every night with his FG% not to drop below 40%. Way too many 6/18 shooting nights the past couple of months.
I completely agree with you. If he's healthy and not feel so good, he can take less shots and pass more.

awktalk
02-17-2011, 11:25 PM
he knows damn well this is their last shot.

No. Every Spurs player is under contract next season. We have a damn good shot this season. And no matter what happens, we have a damn good shot next season. After that? FTW

ElNono
02-17-2011, 11:27 PM

He's just taking too many 3's... when they were going in early in the season, he was an MVP candidate. Now he's injured?
He's not a pure shooter like Ray Allen. He's going to go through these slumps. If a guy like Kobe can go through stretches like this, I don't see why a guy like Manu can't.

I completely agree with you. If he's healthy and not feel so good, he can take less shots and pass more.

He's basically matching his career high in assists... I don't think passing and creating for others is his problem right now.

concken
02-17-2011, 11:30 PM
Pop's playing him because he's lost his confidence little by little... and that's huge for Manu. He really needs two or three good games to get it back for the playoffs... the ASG could help but I won't bet on that.

I think Manu is confident enough to know he's playing like dump. Dude's smart. All sports have slumps. He'll recover, even though I think he's tired.

Capt Bringdown
02-17-2011, 11:31 PM
I don't particularly mind him not going all out right now.

I guess one can look at his 40% and conclude that he's not going all out, but there might be other reasons as well.

spurs10
02-17-2011, 11:32 PM
I don't think he's injured. He probably needs a little more rest. The ASG shouldn't be too taxing.

:flag:

HarlemHeat37
02-17-2011, 11:35 PM
Manu is not good enough to play at the level he was playing at earlier in the season, for an entire season..he's too old and has too much mileage at this point..the Spurs don't need him to be a star player for an entire season..

Ginobili's defense has improved, as his offense has declined, at least IMO..his D was horrible while he was on his hot streak, it has gotten better, as his offense has regressed, which isn't a coincidence IMO..

I don't mind to see him coasting, as long as he's peaking in the playoffs..

At this point, Parker is gonna have to take Manu's role from earlier in the season, Duncan is gonna have to step his game up(like he did tonight), and the rest of the team will have to bring a collective effort(particularly Hill and Blair)..

ElNono
02-17-2011, 11:37 PM
I guess one can look at his 40% and conclude that he's not going all out, but there might be other reasons as well.

Manu hasn't been shy of telling Pop how he feels, especially in the regular season. You need to look no further than the Wizards game where he said he needed the rest.

I just don't see him driving as much. He ranks #3 in the entire NBA for 3 points attempted. He was #50 last season.

ElNono
02-17-2011, 11:37 PM
I agree with Harlem that if the expectation is for him to be SuperManu for 82 games, you're setting up yourself for disappointment.

spursbird
02-17-2011, 11:38 PM
He's basically matching his career high in assists... I don't think passing and creating for others is his problem right now.
Last season 28.7 min 4.9 assists
This season 31 min 4.9 assists
I know his passing ability is fantastic, but maybe a little overated? In some games he was just forcing shots too much. I really don't want him to go 6-18 in too many games.

ShoogarBear
02-17-2011, 11:41 PM
Manu wanted the fast start, he got his wish, and so far it's worked out well.

Now he and the rest of the Spurs understand that the priorities are 1A) HCA and 1B) rest and injury-free. So hopefully all this is a little taking the foot off the pedal and getting themselves in the best position for the playoffs.

Worst-case scenario: he's got nagging injuries.

ElNono
02-17-2011, 11:42 PM
Last season 28.7 min 4.9 assists
This season 31 min 4.9 assists
I know his passing ability is fantastic, but maybe a little overated? In some games he was just forcing shots too much. I really don't want him to go 6-18 in too many games.

I think his passing has made guys like Blair a lot better than what they really are. I don't really know how you measure overrated/underrated in passing ability...

I don't think anybody wants to see him take 18 shots to score 16 points...

spursbird
02-17-2011, 11:46 PM
Manu wanted the fast start, he got his wish, and so far it's worked out well.

Now he and the rest of the Spurs understand that the priorities are 1A) HCA and 1B) rest and injury-free. So hopefully all this is a little taking the foot off the pedal and getting themselves in the best position for the playoffs.

Worst-case scenario: he's got nagging injuries.
I don't dare to imagine that scenario:depressed
So do you think he would be better off the bench right now?

xmas1997
02-17-2011, 11:51 PM
I don't dare to imagine that scenario:depressed
So do you think he would be better off the bench right now?

I hate to say it, but yes.

ShoogarBear
02-17-2011, 11:55 PM
I don't have strong feelings about him starting or coming off the bench. The most important thing is keeping his minutes in the 28-30 MPG range.

The advantage to bringing him off the bench is that when you do that it's easier to keep his minutes down but still play him 8+ minutes in the fourth quarter.

spursbird
02-17-2011, 11:57 PM
I don't think anybody wants to see him take 18 shots to score 16 points...
And that's my point. In Jan and Feb, he had many nights taking too many bad shots.
2-11 vs OKC
6-15 vs Pacers
4-11 vs Mavs
5-15 vs Nuggets
4-13 vs Rapters
5-18 vs Knicks
6-18 vs Blazers
5-17 vs Lakers
2-10 vs 76ers
6-18 vs Bulls
And Kobe forced shots too many times in recent games too, see how the Fakers went.

5in10
02-18-2011, 12:14 AM
Didn't Manu Shoot pretty poorly last season, until he caught fire the second half and single handedly carried this team into the playoffs?? My guess is he will come back around sometime soon.

Capt Bringdown
02-18-2011, 12:46 AM
And that's my point. In Jan and Feb, he had many nights taking too many bad shots.
2-11 vs OKC
6-15 vs Pacers
4-11 vs Mavs
5-15 vs Nuggets
4-13 vs Rapters
5-18 vs Knicks
6-18 vs Blazers
5-17 vs Lakers
2-10 vs 76ers
6-18 vs Bulls
And Kobe forced shots too many times in recent games too, see how the Fakers went.

For some, these stats just mean that he's "not going all out," and to suggest otherwise means that there's an expectation that he be SuperManu all season, and how dare you raise questions because of our record!

Back on planet earth, Manu's struggles are something the Spurs had to overcome in the games they won, and on the nights they lost, he poor play contributed to the defeat.

Struggling is struggling, even if it's Manu.

ElNono
02-18-2011, 12:51 AM
2-11 vs OKC (7 3PA)
6-15 vs Pacers (8 3PA)
4-11 vs Mavs (1 3PA)
5-15 vs Nuggets (6 3PA)
4-13 vs Rapters (5 3PA)
5-18 vs Knicks (5 3PA)
6-18 vs Blazers (8 3PA)
5-17 vs Lakers (5 3PA)
2-10 vs 76ers (5 3PA)
6-18 vs Bulls (5 3PA)

They're slumps, IMO... You're basically pointing out 8 games (He scored 25 against the Pacers and 23 against Toronto, I don't consider those bad games) over a span of 24 games. Of those, in only 5 he has taken double digit 2PA (and marginally so for the most part).

Obviously, unlike Kobe, the Spurs have actually won most of those games.

To me, his 2PA are fairly low. His 3 point shooting has taken more of a focus, and he's just not been able to knock those down in those games.
I wouldn't mind seeing him driving more and chucking less from outside, but I rather he does that in the playoffs, since it also carries a much higher risk of an injury and what not.

His 3 point shooting has always been streaky. As I said, he's not a pure shooter like Ray Allen. In some games it feels like he can't miss, in others he can't buy a bucket. He was definitely shooting better early in the season.
Could be a slump, could be tired legs... not too concerned personally if we can keep on winning at this pace.

ElNono
02-18-2011, 12:54 AM
For some, these stats just mean that he's "not going all out," and to suggest otherwise means that there's an expectation that he be SuperManu all season, and how dare you raise questions because of our record!

Back on planet earth, Manu's struggles are something the Spurs had to overcome in the games they won, and on the nights they lost, he poor play contributed to the defeat.

Struggling is struggling, even if it's Manu.

Well, I don't think he's going out there and not trying to win.
I also think he's been chucking 3 pointers at a career-high rate, and his makes from downtown have plummeted in the last few months.

Now, to suggest this is due to injury, I don't know. I think we would know about it by now.

Bito Corleone
02-18-2011, 01:09 AM
He's tired. He's not used to playing this much in the regular season tbh

duncan228
02-18-2011, 01:11 AM
He pretty much said he was tired yesterday talking about going to LA after the game tonight.

“It comes at the end of a tough road trip, so you’re tired and want to go home,” Ginobili said. “Once I’m there, I’m sure I’ll have a good time.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/02/16/long-road-trip-even-longer-for-spurs%e2%80%99-all-stars/

ALVAREZ6
02-18-2011, 01:26 AM
No. Every Spurs player is under contract next season. We have a damn good shot this season. And no matter what happens, we have a damn good shot next season. After that? FTW

1 more year Tim, 1 more year Manu, Dice likely done, and if not, 1 more year Dice

1 more year experience of Miami Heat + perhaps a stronger team if proper adjustments made

The Spurs aren't winning it for many years if it isn't year

ALVAREZ6
02-18-2011, 01:30 AM
Agree with shoogar. The priorities so far are working out well for the Spurs. They're going to finish #1 in the west, they should just try to not slip enough so that the Celtics catch them. And, Manu and Tim are not playing TOO many minutes.

I think everything is going to end up working out as far as regular season goals are concerned. They will be rested and focused heading into the playoffs if all goes well. In the long run, I'm not worried. But by how they're playing lately, it brings a few concerns.

TD 21
02-18-2011, 01:38 AM
Manu is not good enough to play at the level he was playing at earlier in the season, for an entire season..he's too old and has too much mileage at this point..the Spurs don't need him to be a star player for an entire season..

Ginobili's defense has improved, as his offense has declined, at least IMO..his D was horrible while he was on his hot streak, it has gotten better, as his offense has regressed, which isn't a coincidence IMO..

I don't mind to see him coasting, as long as he's peaking in the playoffs..

At this point, Parker is gonna have to take Manu's role from earlier in the season, Duncan is gonna have to step his game up(like he did tonight), and the rest of the team will have to bring a collective effort(particularly Hill and Blair)..

He played at that level for basically the entire calendar year of 2010. Not quite a full season and split up into two, but still.

People need to stop pulling the "fatigue" excuse. He's playing 31 mpg, his minutes have been steadily declining for weeks and he has plenty of help around him, including another player at his level when it comes to creating offense. They're not asking him to carry the team, like he often did towards the end of last season and like he did, at times, earlier this season. In fact, Parker has been mostly carrying the offense for the last few weeks. So the fatigue excuse doesn't fly. And even if you want to pretend it is valid, do some research and you'll find his shooting woes started well before the Rodeo Trip.

The reality is, his shooting has been so deplorable for so long, that he's now shooting the second worst percentages of his career from the field and three. I realize Duncan is as well, but because of his knees, his lateral mobility and vertical are limited a lot of games. Ginobili has no such reason/excuse.

If Parker were going through an extended stretch where he struggled with his shot this much, he'd be getting ripped to shreds daily. People would be questioning his focus, commitment, etc. and some would be going so far as to saying he needs to be traded. Yet Ginobili get's basically a free pass and has a built-in excuse.

kaji157
02-18-2011, 02:06 AM
By the law of averages a guy that shoots 46% from the field for his career and 36% from 3 has to have this kind of slumps in order to have stretches where he shoots 50%% and 40% from 3.

Is as simple as that.

Plus, he seems a little banged up, and the spurs do have a huge record advantage on all NBA teams.

kaji157
02-18-2011, 02:08 AM
He played at that level for basically the entire calendar year of 2010. Not quite a full season and split up into two, but still.

People need to stop pulling the "fatigue" excuse. He's playing 31 mpg, his minutes have been steadily declining for weeks and he has plenty of help around him, including another player at his level when it comes to creating offense. They're not asking him to carry the team, like he often did towards the end of last season and like he did, at times, earlier this season. In fact, Parker has been mostly carrying the offense for the last few weeks. So the fatigue excuse doesn't fly. And even if you want to pretend it is valid, do some research and you'll find his shooting woes started well before the Rodeo Trip.

The reality is, his shooting has been so deplorable for so long, that he's now shooting the second worst percentages of his career from the field and three. I realize Duncan is as well, but because of his knees, his lateral mobility and vertical are limited a lot of games. Ginobili has no such reason/excuse.

If Parker were going through an extended stretch where he struggled with his shot this much, he'd be getting ripped to shreds daily. People would be questioning his focus, commitment, etc. and some would be going so far as to saying he needs to be traded. Yet Ginobili get's basically a free pass and has a built-in excuse.

Yes as you can see, Ginobili has done bigger things for San Antonio than Parker.

TD 21
02-18-2011, 02:13 AM
Yes as you can see, Ginobili has done bigger things for San Antonio than Parker.

Not by as much as many make it seem. Even so, if you want to play that game, Duncan has done more for the Spurs than both Ginobili and Parker combined. Yet people are quicker to get on him if he's playing poorly than they are Ginobili.

AidanNelson2009
02-18-2011, 02:13 AM
Only he knows. He started the season so well, but the past few months he has been pretty bad. He's been extremly inconsistent of recent times and he's shooting is off. Hopefully he's just waiting for the play-offs then hits top form.

spursbird
02-18-2011, 02:23 AM
By the law of averages a guy that shoots 46% from the field for his career and 36% from 3 has to have this kind of slumps in order to have stretches where he shoots 50%% and 40% from 3.

Is as simple as that.

Plus, he seems a little banged up, and the spurs do have a huge record advantage on all NBA teams.
Career stats don't represent current stats. U know Shaq's career stats is like 25+10 or higher.

spursbird
02-18-2011, 02:27 AM
Only he knows. He started the season so well, but the past few months he has been pretty bad. He's been extremly inconsistent of recent times and he's shooting is off. Hopefully he's just waiting for the play-offs then hits top form.
Hope so. If he's really tired, why not rest him more and give Hill, Neal and Anderson more time? Tbh I'd like to know how our 20th pick could perfom.

kaji157
02-18-2011, 02:34 AM
Career stats don't represent current stats. U know Shaq's career stats is like 25+10 or higher.

Yes they do when the player is still in his prime, and calling the shaq card or any soon-to-be retired player can only be done by a 10 yo kid that doesnt understand what we are talking here.
Manu as recent as the last 3 years has shoot about that, its normal that if he goes froms stretches where he shoots .507 and .404 as he went sooner this year, he will also go some stretches with .400 and .300. That's why he has those averages because he has always and i mean ALWAYS been this streaky.

spursbird
02-18-2011, 02:39 AM
Yes they do when the player is still in his prime, and calling the shaq card or any soon-to-be retired player can only be done by a 10 yo kid that doesnt understand what we are talking here.
Manu as recent as the last 3 years has shoot about that, its normal that if he goes froms stretches where he shoots .507 and .404 as he went sooner this year, he will also go some stretches with .400 and .300. That's why he has those averages because he has always and i mean ALWAYS been this streaky.
OK I agree with you. But his being streaky is really a concern and perhaps is his biggest problem. He got fatigued easily.

Capt Bringdown
02-18-2011, 02:40 AM
Yet Ginobili get's basically a free pass and has a built-in excuse.

Exactly. Kinda fun to watch the fanbois spin the excuses though.

ElNono
02-18-2011, 02:50 AM

So what is Manu's problem in your opinion?

carina_gino20
02-18-2011, 02:59 AM
"These last couple of weeks weren’t my best. I’m a bit banged up but nothing too serious. I’ll get better soon."

spursbird
02-18-2011, 03:06 AM
thx carina_gino20. I hope he had a good rest during the ASG(please POP). And I appreciate your way of quote:)

jjktkk
02-18-2011, 03:24 AM
Age is catching up with Manu. IMO Manu needs to figure out when to go all out and when to throttle it down, so to speak.

tdominate21
02-18-2011, 04:27 AM
I'm not worried about manu in the least bit. He is a stud when it really counts as long as he's healthy. As Pop says, "He's Manu Ginobili". Pop will make sure he's healthy come playoffs.

This game really came down to 2 players; Rose and Parker. Parker was great. But Rose was amazing. Would have liked to see Parker attack like rose did. Just like the spurs had no answer for Rose, the bulls had no answer for Parker. If this were the playoffs, i think Pop would have called EVERY play down the stretch for parker.

I'm a huge Manu fan, but Parker(because of age and one-on-one offense) is the key to our championship hopes. Though, when both are on, nobody can beat us.

will_spurs
02-18-2011, 04:44 AM

Or he has a more rabid fanbase. That sounds a lot more likely to me.

Capt Bringdown
02-18-2011, 08:24 AM
If this were the playoffs, i think Pop would have called EVERY play down the stretch for parker.

And Manu would come down and fire off another brick with plenty of time left on the shot clock, because he's tired or whatever.

cutewizard
02-18-2011, 08:58 AM
If we reach the finals this year....

Manu shall be Finals MVP!

Mark my words...................

Budkin
02-18-2011, 09:07 AM
If we reach the finals this year....

Manu shall be Finals MVP!

Mark my words...................

I have a feeling this will happen as well. He only lost it by a hair in 2005, but he is clearly our best player now.

cutewizard
02-18-2011, 09:12 AM
I have a feeling this will happen as well. He only lost it by a hair in 2005, but he is clearly our best player now.

lets wish for it man

go Manu go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kori Ellis
02-18-2011, 09:23 AM
This isn't just a small slump. Overall, Manu has been struggling since the end of November. (I'm not saying that that he hasn't had some awesome games in that stretch). He shot 40% in December, 41% in January and 37% so far this month. If he wasn't so incredible in November, his stats this year would be very subpar and he wouldn't be going to the AllStar game. And though his shooting isn't everything (and generally he's been good in 4th quarters), it's usually an indicator that he's getting very fatigued.

Call it an excuse if you want, but Manu gets fatigued/banged up/bruised up and generally exhausted around this time of year every year. He talks about it after games and usually looks like he's dying (or looks like a vampire).

Right now, I think Manu has a lot of aches and pains, and doesn't have much power in his legs. Sure, he can elevate for a great dunk every once in a while and he can have an outstanding burst (quarter/game/whatever), but I think he'd be the first to admit that he's worn down.

For the Spurs to be successful, they need November Manu/Playoff Manu to emerge late in the season. Pop will probably try to get his minutes closer to 25 mpg for the next few months before vamping back up in April.

igruex
02-18-2011, 09:32 AM
At least someone call things by its name. Manu hasn't been playing well for a while now. He looks healthy but banged up (which is good), what we should be discussing is what Pop should do about it. Is not like he's pacing himself you can see him really trying, but he's hurting the team, if you don't play him right now you low his confidence, Pop's praising him every time he can.

The ASG selection doesn't help but the break will help Manu... let's see when Pop decides to stop this march. The good thing is, at this pace Manu will get to rest for at least last 3 games of the seasons. We should aim to pass the 1st round in no more than 5 games.

spursbird
02-18-2011, 09:40 AM
This isn't just a small slump. Overall, Manu has been struggling since the end of November. (I'm not saying that that he hasn't had some awesome games in that stretch). He shot 40% in December, 41% in January and 37% so far this month. If he wasn't so incredible in November, his stats this year would be very subpar and he wouldn't be going to the AllStar game. And though his shooting isn't everything (and generally he's been good in 4th quarters), it's usually an indicator that he's getting very fatigued.

Call it an excuse if you want, but Manu gets fatigued/banged up/bruised up and generally exhausted around this time of year every year. He talks about it after games and usually looks like he's dying (or looks like a vampire).

Right now, I think Manu has a lot of aches and pains, and doesn't have much power in his legs. Sure, he can elevate for a great dunk every once in a while and he can have an outstanding burst (quarter/game/whatever), but I think he'd be the first to admit that he's worn down.

For the Spurs to be successful, they need November Manu/Playoff Manu to emerge late in the season. Pop will probably try to get his minutes closer to 25 mpg for the next few months before vamping back up in April.
Thx. Great analysis.

nkdlunch
02-18-2011, 09:46 AM
agree with Kori. But not worried as long as he is relatively healthy. He will activate the extra fuel tank once playoffs come along.

ajh18
02-18-2011, 12:56 PM
Manu's "problem" is what it's always been: He's an all-time great in terms of desire and basketball IQ, but wasn't gifted with the physical gifts of many of the other top players in the league.

If Manu had the physical gifts of even a Jason Richardson or JR Smith, I think we'd be talking about him as one of the best ever. But I think his style and passion for the game exceed the level he's physically capable of maintaining for 82 games, so at points he gets worn down and even injured.

Brazil
02-18-2011, 04:16 PM
I think like the majority of the posters here that Manu is tired, nothing less nothing more. When you are tired your JS are short, you take some bad decisions, your shot selection is declining etc... now even with that slump manu is an asset on the court with his FTs, hustles, leadership, defense and fourth quarters.
I wish he could rest during this ASG but at least he will have some fun and relax a little.

On a side note, if TP had this kind of stretch the fans would send him to the tree of the woe crucified after every single game.

kaji157
02-18-2011, 06:35 PM
I don´t know how some here are surprised by this, it has been said many times.
Manu is streaky as hell, but for his whole career his good games have came when it matters and his bad ones when it doesn´t.
It also has been said hat using too much Manu at the begining of the season would come to this, i mean him being a little tired and banged up.
But i think it is more because he has carried the team a lot at the begining where he was finishing every close game (and there were a lot) than for the ammount of playing time itself.
Most likely, Pop will switch to parker as primary offensive option and main ballhandler and Ginobili will act as a decoy.
I would love Pop to use this also as an excuse to run some plays for Jefferson who has been shooting great, but whatever...

TD 21
02-18-2011, 06:49 PM
So what is Manu's problem in your opinion?

He's just flat out not playing well. There is no excuse.

Kori, there's zero chance Pop plays Ginobili 25 mpg in the final 26 games, because if he does that, you can probably forget about this team maintaining home court throughout the playoffs. Given that they've not only had it, by had it by a sizable margin from virtually the start, it could be a devastating blow psychologically were they to give it up down the stretch. Also, if Ginobili only plays 25 mpg, then Parker will have to play 36-38 mpg. Why run him into the ground?

The reality is, Ginobili is going to have to play around 30 mpg for at least the next 20 games, so that this team can wrap up home court. Once they've done that, they can sit out the big three and McDyess for the final few games. Give them all a week off before the playoffs.

WalterBenitez
02-18-2011, 06:54 PM
I think POP will only allow him to play ASG for .... a minute or so :rolleyes

ElNono
02-18-2011, 06:59 PM
The reality is, Ginobili is going to have to play around 30 mpg for at least the next 20 games, so that this team can wrap up home court. Once they've done that, they can sit out the big three and McDyess for the final few games. Give them all a week off before the playoffs.

I'm in tune with this. I really think we need to take advantage of the record we have and lock up HCA so we have a better shot in the playoffs. Once HCA is locked, we can rest

pjjrfan
02-18-2011, 08:38 PM
When Manu is not right he makes a lot of bad plays. He's been making a lot of bad plays the last 2 to 3 weeks, I don't know if he's injured, although after the Laker's game he did say that Artest had left bruised and battered and he had a hard night in Sacramento.

mingus
02-19-2011, 12:08 AM
i'm not really worried about it and here's the reason why: he's mostly reyling on jumpshots and he's doing so to save his legs. Manu's never been a fantastic shooter, his game has always been built on his ability to get in the lane and either create from himself or others. i expect him to go into old-Manu mode once the playoffs strike.

the worst thing he can do is to try and drive more so that he can get into a rythym. do that for the playoffs. the Spurs are 6 games ahead of 2nd, he doesn't need to put himself into a situation where he's going to get physically hurt/wear down.

he even said it himself early on in the season: he's not going to shoot like he did in November for the whole season. i don't buy that Manu is too tired. he said in an interview about a week ago that he's feeling the best he's ever felt. plus his shooting has been bad for about 2 months now. so was he tired two months ago?

what Manu is not and has never been is a pure shooter, and when non-pure shooters dont get easy buckets to get into a rythym, it's hard for them. i fully expect Manu to try and get more of these easy buckets comes playoffs. he clearly still has explosion and is still crafty at getting into the lane, he's just not very liberal in going to the lane, and why should he not be? Spurs have a nice cushion and there's no need for him push it any more tha he is.

DieHardSpursFan1537
02-19-2011, 04:44 PM
Hasn't been looking very sharp recently. Slump maybe?

ElNono
02-27-2011, 09:41 PM
http://i54.tinypic.com/apbn5.jpg

Barfunk
02-27-2011, 09:55 PM
Lol

Kori Ellis
02-27-2011, 09:57 PM
He was awesome tonight, despite not being great from distance. Hopefully this is a turning point for him. He's been struggling offensively for months now.

xmas1997
02-27-2011, 10:24 PM
Yeah, what happened?
He only scored 35 points, among other things and intangibles!

igruex
02-27-2011, 10:52 PM
He had to step up cause Tony and Gary were out. It's good to know he still has it, let's hope Pop can rest the big 3 for at least 2 games before the PO.

Manu-of-steel
02-27-2011, 11:05 PM
Yep, now we know Manu can still drive and mix it up in the paint. But his three point shooting is still low, but i'm not worried.

Solid D
02-27-2011, 11:29 PM
His last 2 games have been a nice springboard out of his funk.

DAF86
02-28-2011, 12:18 AM
He was awesome tonight, despite not being great from distance. Hopefully this is a turning point for him. He's been struggling offensively for months now.

His shot was off again, but with the game even and Tony out Manu had to attack the basket to get the W and that's what he did. If the game would have been an easy one and/or with Tony on court, Manu would have had another 4 for 14 night and people would still be questioning Manu.

If Manu is healthy he will play well in the playoffs no matter his stamina or shooting struggles.

ElNono
02-28-2011, 12:21 AM

It's obvious he plays better when the ball black-hole that's Tony is not around...

DAF86
02-28-2011, 12:24 AM
For the record I'm not saying Manu plays better without Tony, I'm saying he had to step up because of Tony's absence. Just to clear things out for the oversensitive posters.

ElNono
02-28-2011, 12:25 AM
For the record I'm not saying Manu plays better without Tony, I'm saying he had to step up because of Tony's absence. Just to clear things out for the oversensetive posters.

:lol

Solid D
02-28-2011, 12:27 AM
He merely orchestrated the entire 4th quarter offense for the Spurs. In fact, Manu had 13 points and 3 Assists when Memphis took a 6 point lead in the 3rd @ 58-52. Manu finished with 35 and 8.

spursbird
02-28-2011, 12:31 AM
It's obvious he plays better when the ball black-hole that's Tony is not around...
I'll admit that Supermanu has come back, but your point is wrong. They've won 3 titles together, and if Manu plays better when TP is not around, why don't the Spurs trade him for a pure PG?
TP is always underestimated, as usual.

DAF86
02-28-2011, 12:32 AM
I'll admit that Supermanu has come back, but your point is wrong. They've won 3 titles together, and if Manu plays better when TP is not around, why don't the Spurs trade him for a pure PG?

:lol

ElNono
02-28-2011, 12:33 AM

Blue text indicates sarcasm/joke around these places... :toast

spursbird
02-28-2011, 12:48 AM
Blue text indicates sarcasm/joke around these places... :toast
OK, OK, I'm cheated:depressed:downspin:

Spurs Brazil
02-28-2011, 02:54 PM
He merely orchestrated the entire 4th quarter offense for the Spurs. In fact, Manu had 13 points and 3 Assists when Memphis took a 6 point lead in the 3rd @ 58-52. Manu finished with 35 and 8.

Impressive :wow