PDA

View Full Version : Pop decision to start Blair on Boozer...

ElNono
02-17-2011, 10:59 PM
I thought it cost us dearly... Dejuan got in foul trouble early, couldn't do anything against Booze's high arching jumpshot and it basically left us without one of our top rebounders.
We switched in the second half, but Blair picked up a quick early foul and had to be pulled out.

Thoughts?

awktalk
02-17-2011, 11:01 PM
Blair was awful. He looked stoned out there. I don't think him on Boozer had much to do about anything. He's in his 2nd year, he's going to lay an egg every now and then. Pop never put him back in after 4 fouls because he was playing like shit.

Obstructed_View
02-17-2011, 11:02 PM
I've never seen anyone on the Spurs able to stop Boozer's jumper; Dice, Duncan and Bonner have never done much better. Blair had a bad night. Again, took a career night from Rose in a game the Bulls treated like a game seven. I'd personally like to have seen Splitter on Boozer, but that's obviously not realistic.

ElNono
I didn't think Matty was doing much better and we were getting murdered on the boards... I though he would have done much better if he had to play against Kurt Thomas, IMO...

DesignatedT
Blair looked terrible tonight. Thinking to much or something. He should/needs to be able play with a guy like Boozer.

ElNono
02-17-2011, 11:05 PM
I've never seen anyone on the Spurs able to stop Boozer's jumper; Dice, Duncan and Bonner have never done much better. Blair had a bad night. Again, took a career night from Rose in a game the Bulls treated like a game seven. I'd personally like to have seen Splitter on Boozer, but that's obviously not realistic.

I agree. That said, it was a close game throughout... There are things you can't really control, like Rose going MJ on us, but boxing out, boarding and cutting down on second chances I thought was critical, and we didn't do it.

Obstructed_View
02-17-2011, 11:07 PM
How many easy layups and free throws did the Spurs miss? Far more than enough to cover the margin. Frankly, I was shocked through much of the game that the Spurs were playing so poorly and were within two or four points so often.

awktalk
02-17-2011, 11:11 PM
High expectations for this team. Not a bad loss. Loved the confidence in Neal with his shot. Dude is fearless and kept us close. Bonner played his worst of the season. Manu was also awful. And we still had a good shot if we don't give up another career night and hit a couple shots.

Blake
02-17-2011, 11:11 PM
Thoughts?

thank god Chicago is in the east

ElNono
02-17-2011, 11:14 PM
How many easy layups and free throws did the Spurs miss? Far more than enough to cover the margin. Frankly, I was shocked through much of the game that the Spurs were playing so poorly and were within two or four points so often.

High expectations for this team. Not a bad loss. Loved the confidence in Neal with his shot. Dude is fearless and kept us close. Bonner played his worst of the season. Manu was also awful. And we still had a good shot if we don't give up another career night and hit a couple shots.

Agree on both counts. I'm actually satisfied that it wasn't a blowout, like the Orlando game. That's improvement. I also don't want to harp on this too much, but locking up HCA is crucial. The whistle on the road, like tonight, can really be awful sometimes.

ShoogarBear
02-17-2011, 11:17 PM
Without Noah, this game should have been a good matchup for Blair.

Given the minimal contribution from Bonner, would have been nice to see if Splitter could have helped on the defensive boards.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
02-17-2011, 11:43 PM
Blair looked like he did during the first month of the season, when he's too excited and jumpy he doesn't take time to just grab a rebound or he rushes a shot.

jjktkk
02-17-2011, 11:48 PM

+1. The Spurs could of actually stolen this game if they would of hit some shots.

ShoogarBear
02-17-2011, 11:57 PM
+1. The Spurs could of actually stolen this game if they would of hit some shots.

See, and a couple of years ago the answer would have been "The Spurs could have stolen this game if they would have made some stops".

SenorSpur
02-18-2011, 12:05 AM
I agree. That said, it was a close game throughout... There are things you can't really control, like Rose going MJ on us, but boxing out, boarding and cutting down on second chances I thought was critical, and we didn't do it.

^this

SenorSpur
02-18-2011, 12:06 AM
Blair looked like he did during the first month of the season, when he's too excited and jumpy he doesn't take time to just grab a rebound or he rushes a shot.

Unfortunately, so did the Spurs defense.

ElNono
02-18-2011, 12:07 AM
See, and a couple of years ago the answer would have been "The Spurs could have stolen this game if they would have made some stops".

That's actually the correct answer. We shot 48.8% from the field and 50% from 3... vs 53% and 37% respectively for the Bulls.

This is one (the first?) game where we shoot over 47% and we don't win. I don't think we can shoot a lot better than that for 48 mins against a good defensive team... the answer was on D tonight, and we didn't have it.

itzsoweezee
02-18-2011, 12:08 AM
Bonner was much much worse. Let's talk about that.

DMC
02-18-2011, 12:09 AM
I thought it cost us dearly... Dejuan got in foul trouble early, couldn't do anything against Booze's high arching jumpshot and it basically left us without one of our top rebounders.
We switched in the second half, but Blair picked up a quick early foul and had to be pulled out.

Thoughts?
Pop experimenting. Boozer takes most people to the store and plays them like a wet foodstamp.

Blair had a bad night. He needs easy touches and some boards. He didn't get going tonight.

I think Pop was just seeing how things went. Not worried much.

DMC
02-18-2011, 12:09 AM
Bonner was much much worse. Let's talk about that.
Start another thread.

DMC
02-18-2011, 12:10 AM
Two years ago the Spurs destroy the Bulls.

wunderkindepiphany
02-18-2011, 12:42 AM
Blair was aight. Bonner sucked balls. Rose basically raped us by himself. None of guards showed up. Jefferson was in bitch mode. Over all, just an asswhooping that we got by the Bulls. Scary to think that Noah wasnt playing. GOD Bonner gets me fired up. Shouldnt have played in the 4th as much as he did.

jjktkk
02-18-2011, 02:35 AM

Like Pop with his amped up offense this year, I too have evolved. :lol

senorglory
02-18-2011, 03:30 AM
This damned cursed record. I literally expect the Spurs to go the rest of the season without another lose, even though I know better, so that when they lose, it both depresses and pisses me off.

quentin_compson
02-18-2011, 06:56 AM
Blair was pretty bad yesterday, especially at the beginning of the game. That being said, Boozer has always been tough to defend for the Spurs. I actually was surprised when I looked up his averages against the Spurs and found them to be below his career averages (~ 16/8.5 on 49.5% shooting vs. 17.5/10 on 54% shooting).
It certainly wasn't a terrible loss, but I don't buy into this whole "If we just hade made some shots" thing for this game. The Spurs shot well enough to win this game, they just didn't defend well enough to win it.

wildbill2u
02-18-2011, 10:07 AM

Thoughts?

If Pop is serious about Blair as a full-time starter--and a part time starter based on matchups makes no sense--they he has to try Blari out against the best players and see how he does.

Boozer is a tough matchup for anyone because of his short jumper and mobility. Blair will have to learn how to cope.

in2deep
02-18-2011, 10:12 AM
Boozer actually had a bad game. Blair had just an atrocious game along with Manu. Had they showed up this game would have gone to the wire.

K-State Spur
02-18-2011, 10:15 AM
eh. our guys laid an egg and still made a game of it until the 5 minutes. it happens.

i'm not sure pop didn't want to see IF Blair could match up with Boozer as opposed to thinking that was the best matchup he could toss out there.

if the team continues to take care of business against the weaklings, there are going to be a lot of opportunities for pop to experiment with some match-ups and combinations down the stretch.

Horse
02-18-2011, 01:28 PM
You know I did'nt know what to expect this game. We were a bounce here a call there away from coming back and maybe winning it. But I would consider maybe some Spurs just wanted to get it over with and get to the break, I mean what's the real chances we see them again anyway?

Obstructed_View
02-18-2011, 05:45 PM

I'd have been happy to see them make A stop.

The Truth #6
02-18-2011, 05:54 PM
To the original post - I don't think the failure is an issue with Pop. Rather, Blair had a sloppy game and didn't come to play. I think he needs experience playing against quality power forwards, otherwise he's never going to get better. Blair can be hot/cold, but overall his progress has been steady.

Boozer wasn't the one that had a career night. If anything, Parker took this game too personally to prove himself against Rose. Obviously, Parker playing aggressively is always important, but winning the game (not besting a perceived rival) is the ultimate goal.

But whatever, the team as a whole didn't deliver.

Obstructed_View
02-18-2011, 05:56 PM
Is the Rookie Sophmore game tonight? Blair was probably already planning out his dunks.

Fabbs
02-19-2011, 10:40 AM
Blair was awful. He looked stoned out there. I don't think him on Boozer had much to do about anything. He's in his 2nd year, he's going to lay an egg every now and then. Pop never put him back in after 4 fouls because he was playing like shit.
He really did look stoned. I thought the same thing.

Blair was aight. Bonner sucked balls. Rose basically raped us by himself. None of guards showed up. Jefferson was in bitch mode. Over all, just an asswhooping that we got by the Bulls. Scary to think that Noah wasnt playing. GOD Bonner gets me fired up. Shouldnt have played in the 4th as much as he did.

Blair was aight in the second half, in the opening quarter he sucked ass.

Jefferson indeed, when we pulled within 3 late and were regaining momentum, his pussy assed lackadasical defense on Rose with the shot clock about to expire was a return to Soft Dick. That needed to be addressed ASAP.

Sofaking
02-19-2011, 02:41 PM
I don't think he was that BAD. Boozer did fake him out viciously lmao. The stupid fouls prolly got in his head though