PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever personally know/knew somebody with HIV/AIDS?

Nick Manning
02-17-2011, 11:00 PM
I recently saw Angels in America and ended up buying it...very interesting, albeit different take on the AIDS epidemic in the 1980's. Since then I've had this morbid curiosity/fascination with the disease, and such films about it. Philadelphia, Longtime Companion, And the Band Played On, and Parting Glances (one of Buscemi's first ever roles) are just some of the films about AIDS I've seen since.

The only personal recollection I have of the disease was a phys-ed teacher that taught at the same school my mom did back in the late 80s-early 90's. Me and my brother remember him as kids, but never really interacted with him (or the rest of the faculty) whenever the moms took us to work. He died in 90 or 91 of AIDS and I remember it being a huge deal. I'm guessing this was before AZT and other retroviral drugs had mass availability on the market. Not much to that story, but it's the only quasi-encounter I remember having with somebody afflicted from it, and I'm piecing it from memory.

Anybody here know somebody who suffers/suffered from it? I was just a small kid back then so I don't remember the 80's--but to those who do-- what was it like in those times? What is it a gripping fear or did people just think it was a "gay cancer?"

Forgive the topic...like I said, morbid curiosity.

Dr. Gonzo
02-17-2011, 11:12 PM
Ryan White was my babysitter.

TDMVPDPOY
02-17-2011, 11:12 PM
during the 90s in highschool knew this kid who went back overseas and do what most males do, whoring as many hoes as you can, heard he caught HIV/AIDS, but his still alive today compared to my junkie friends in the neighborhood where a few passed away...

everyday at school ppl would g ive the guy shit cause he had hiv/aids, but we never know if its fact or fiction....

Kai
02-18-2011, 01:53 AM
I worked with this asshole gay guy at a restaurant and he was HIV positive. He claimed to go around fucking dudes without telling them. I hated that dude.

marini martini
02-18-2011, 02:46 AM
yes :(

DMX7
02-18-2011, 04:31 AM
Nick Manning probably isn't the best role model if this concerns you.

benefactor
02-18-2011, 06:37 AM
We have lots of them that come through the psych hospital I work at.

Darrin
02-18-2011, 07:42 AM
I recently saw Angels in America and ended up buying it...very interesting, albeit different take on the AIDS epidemic in the 1980's. Since then I've had this morbid curiosity/fascination with the disease, and such films about it. Philadelphia, Longtime Companion, And the Band Played On, and Parting Glances (one of Buscemi's first ever roles) are just some of the films about AIDS I've seen since.

The only personal recollection I have of the disease was a phys-ed teacher that taught at the same school my mom did back in the late 80s-early 90's. Me and my brother remember him as kids, but never really interacted with him (or the rest of the faculty) whenever the moms took us to work. He died in 90 or 91 of AIDS and I remember it being a huge deal. I'm guessing this was before AZT and other retroviral drugs had mass availability on the market. Not much to that story, but it's the only quasi-encounter I remember having with somebody afflicted from it, and I'm piecing it from memory.

Anybody here know somebody who suffers/suffered from it? I was just a small kid back then so I don't remember the 80's--but to those who do-- what was it like in those times? What is it a gripping fear or did people just think it was a "gay cancer?"

Forgive the topic...like I said, morbid curiosity.

My dad, in the early 90s, took care of a neighbor of his that had AIDS. That's as close to the disease I have gotten.

Viva Las Espuelas
02-18-2011, 08:14 AM
At SpursTalk, our trolls have a heart :tu

Nick Manning
02-18-2011, 12:01 PM
yes :(

Were they close?

Nick Manning
02-18-2011, 12:04 PM
Nick Manning probably isn't the best role model if this concerns you.

I got in the game in 2000 when the issue was under control. We have mandatory weekly testing now, so it's probably safer than your job. Besides, I get paid to fuck. What do you do?

We have lots of them that come through the psych hospital I work at.

Are you an MD? RN? Orderly? just curious

Kori Ellis
02-18-2011, 12:12 PM
Back in the 90s in Los Angeles, I knew several (four I think) people in our company that were HIV+ -- one of them was a woman who had contracted it from her husband. They weren't close friends of mine, but I knew them.

Nick Manning
02-18-2011, 12:16 PM
Back in the 90s in Los Angeles, I knew several (four I think) people in our company that were HIV+ -- one of them was a woman who had contracted it from her husband. They weren't close friends of mine, but I knew them.

That's heartbreaking. Do you know if any of them are still alive?

Kori Ellis
02-18-2011, 12:23 PM
I don't know for sure. I believe the woman is -- her husband did pass away though.

Nick Manning
02-18-2011, 12:44 PM
I don't know for sure. I believe the woman is -- her husband did pass away though.

She must've had some mixed feelings when he died.

benefactor
02-18-2011, 01:07 PM
Are you an MD? RN? Orderly? just curious

CuckingFunt
02-18-2011, 01:29 PM
I've known several people with HIV and AIDS. When I was a kid, my mom was always involved in music, theater, and the arts, which frankly meant lots of family friends who were gay and/or junkies. She lost four friends in the early years of the disease all within a couple of years, and another four or five (not all of them gay or junkies) by the time I graduated high school in 1996. Since then, I've had several friends who were living with the disease, but all of them managing it with meds.

David Bowie
02-18-2011, 01:31 PM
We had a speaker who came to our school who was HIV positive.

Also, one of the members of the synagogue I used to attend was HIV positive. She was a speaker at on of my Hebrew School classes.

Nick Manning
02-18-2011, 01:40 PM
One of the scariest things about the epidemic (at least back then) was that a good deal of people got the virus through blood transfusions--before the CDC recognized it in 1981 and before there were tests for it. Makes you wonder if there's another illness on the cusp of outbreak that hasn't been discovered/screened for yet, and how many people are involuntarily acquiring it.

mrsmaalox
02-18-2011, 05:49 PM
I took care of many patients with it, but oddly every single case was a gay man; never met a single person who acquired it thru IV drug abuse or blood transfusion. And as devastating as the disease itself is, the drama that accompanied most of it (from family who hadn't accepted their loved one's homosexuality) was worse. I could never understand why a gay man was rarely allowed to die in peace-----it was just so unfair and so sad.

And it just so happened that one of the people I took care of was one of my best friends from high school. I never knew he was gay until the week I took care of him on his deathbed. Fortunately his mother was an angel and stayed with him until the end; she and i still keep in touch.

Frenzy
02-18-2011, 06:18 PM
Some girl had it in the old neighborhood I lived in when I was in middle school. She lived a few houses down and we would talk every so often. She was in her mid 20's I assume cause I would go to school and she was always home. I only knew her threw my dad which knew her dad. Wish I could tell you she was sweet and innocent...she wasn't she was a slut. I found out she had aids since she was 17 I think... from a mutual freind years later. Never knew what happen to her.

Nick Manning
02-18-2011, 06:42 PM
I took care of many patients with it, but oddly every single case was a gay man; never met a single person who acquired it thru IV drug abuse or blood transfusion. And as devastating as the disease itself is, the drama that accompanied most of it (from family who hadn't accepted their loved one's homosexuality) was worse. I could never understand why a gay man was rarely allowed to die in peace-----it was just so unfair and so sad.

And it just so happened that one of the people I took care of was one of my best friends from high school. I never knew he was gay until the week I took care of him on his deathbed. Fortunately his mother was an angel and stayed with him until the end; she and i still keep in touch.

How long did your patients usually last? I guess when they get the PCP it's only a matter of days or weeks...

Fpoonsie
02-18-2011, 06:53 PM
So, David Bowie's a Jew? Huh.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-18-2011, 09:05 PM
AIDS always reminds me of this song
SW2f9npyJbQ

"I got WHAT???"

Reggie Williams
02-18-2011, 09:15 PM
I dont get it. AIDs is an immune system annihilator. Cant you basically tell if someone has it by their general appearance/health? Like they are constantly sick or not very energetic or what not?

JoeChalupa
02-19-2011, 09:26 AM
Anyone watch "What would you do?" last night and see that woman freak out because and HIV positive dude touched a menu and she refused to use it and created a scene?

mrsmaalox
02-19-2011, 11:59 AM
How long did your patients usually last? I guess when they get the PCP it's only a matter of days or weeks...

Well, since ICUs are pretty much designed to be short stay units where terminal patients are concerned, my personal experiences with AIDS patients usually lasted just a few days. They either came in end stage and expired right away, or we stabilized them and moved them out onto the medical units.

Wild Cobra
02-19-2011, 01:21 PM
A friend from high school had his older brother die about 20 years ago from aids. He was a drug user, and claims to have got it from needles. Nobody doubts that. A true product of the 60's.

Nick Manning
02-19-2011, 08:05 PM
I dont get it. AIDs is an immune system annihilator. Cant you basically tell if someone has it by their general appearance/health? Like they are constantly sick or not very energetic or what not?

I'm starting to believe this is the real Reggie Williams.