PDA

View Full Version : Should Manu go to the bench?

Buddy Holly
02-17-2011, 11:43 PM
He hasn't been himself, maybe being a starter is zapping his energy earlier in the season.

Maybe have him come off the bench and have Neal start. I'd love to see what Neal can do as a starter.

ElNono
02-17-2011, 11:44 PM
It's an idea. I would wait until we locked up HCA... after that I would pretty much sit all of the big 3, tbh

HarlemHeat37
02-17-2011, 11:48 PM
If they're going to send him to the bench, which I don't agree with, then Hill should definitely start instead of Neal, not even debatable IMO..

I would keep Manu in the starting lineup, though..just lower his minutes, decrease his responsibility a little..

ElNono
02-17-2011, 11:53 PM
This team is really more reliant on the team effort than anything else. Blair has been posting double-doubles and we've scorched teams. Tonight he sucked, and Bonner and Hill were also very quiet. Manu obviously had a mediocre game also.
Manu needs to improve. I don't know that coming from the bench is where the improvement is going to come from. But other guys also played well below their averages.

DMC
02-18-2011, 12:12 AM
It's an idea. I would wait until we locked up HCA... after that I would pretty much sit all of the big 3, tbh
This, but not all the time. That could kill you come playoff time.

Don't change your routine drastically.

it's me
02-18-2011, 12:16 AM
lol no...let the old guy take it easy..... the time will come when we'll need him to win a couple of game per series for us... as for right now.... we don't need him at full strength imo.

kaji157
02-18-2011, 02:11 AM
I don't think so, moving Ginobili to the bench has always been a matter of the team or certain player (Finley, Barry, Turkoglu, Mason) struggling. It has never been done to improve Manu's game.

As of now our reserves are playing very well and the team has a 46-10 record, i don't think moving Ginobili to the bench applys here.

SA210
02-18-2011, 02:18 AM
Stupid idea. If Pop had never sent Manu to the bench, noone would ever be so quick to jump to want to do that. Manu is our best player, your best player starts. Tim sucks allthe time with his laziness, should we bench him? They can manage Manu's minutes when he starts as well, he doesn't have to come off the damn bench.

EricB
02-18-2011, 02:21 AM
Duncan sucks all the time? :lmao new spurs fan fail

SA210
02-18-2011, 02:23 AM
Duncan sucks all the time? :lmao new spurs fan fail

Oh hush up. I see you forgot to mention I was talking about his laziness. And yes Tim gets lazy.

chazley
02-18-2011, 02:26 AM
We will have a ton of time to rest in early April. For now, we need to maintain that 4 game lead on the Celtics. Manu is at his best when he starts. Players go through slumps... Manu is a smart/talented guy, he'll get through it.

kidd_91
02-18-2011, 09:46 AM
Manu is just trying to hard, I know he normally plays out of control but lately it's been way out of control. Putting him on the bench would probably make it worse. Hopefully he can relax and let the game come back to him.

Muser
02-18-2011, 09:55 AM

Agree with sitting the big 3 after/if we lock up HCA.

Start:
Hill
Neal
Jefferson
Blair
Splitter

With the big 3 playing spot minutes.

TwelveGs210
02-18-2011, 12:06 PM
He was himself for 4 seconds when he drove the lane for that big left handed slam in garbage time..

rascal
02-18-2011, 12:13 PM
He hasn't been himself, maybe being a starter is zapping his energy earlier in the season.

Maybe have him come off the bench and have Neal start. I'd love to see what Neal can do as a starter.

Some all star Manu is, he can't even play starters minutes and be effective.

Mugen
02-18-2011, 12:14 PM
it should be considered if hes still sucking after the break.

Hopefully JA gets back and can contribute to spell Manu an extra 5 minutes or so and be fresh for the 4th.

cheguevara
02-18-2011, 12:15 PM
Some all star Manu is, he can't even play starters minutes and be effective.

why don't you go ahead and make another whiny thread about it?

concken
02-18-2011, 12:42 PM
This team is really more reliant on the team effort than anything else. Blair has been posting double-doubles and we've scorched teams. Tonight he sucked, and Bonner and Hill were also very quiet. Manu obviously had a mediocre game also.
Manu needs to improve. I don't know that coming from the bench is where the improvement is going to come from. But other guys also played well below their averages.

I don't think it's about him improving, or even sharpening his game. He's just beat. I think coming off the bench would be great. He will have that spark and not be expected to come out of the gates blazin

PDXSpursFan
02-18-2011, 01:28 PM

No, we're 46-10 :bang

GrandeDavid
02-18-2011, 02:37 PM

I think Manu needs to come off the bench at least for a stretch, yes.

ohmwrecker
02-18-2011, 02:45 PM
No.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165867

wontstartdumbthreads
02-18-2011, 02:55 PM
Agree with sitting the big 3 after/if we lock up HCA.

Start:
Hill
Neal
Jefferson
Blair
Splitter

With the big 3 playing spot minutes.

I would certainly give the Big 3 more rest but I sure wouldn't change up the rotation like you're suggesting. You'd be risking that the Big 3 can just walk back into the playoffs at a high level.

TDfan2007
02-18-2011, 03:09 PM
No, he should still start, but he's acting like he's in a competition with Kobe for who can take the most awful and low-percentage contested shots. He needs to look to move the ball more on offense. His FG% this season has been bad, and his terrible shot selection has something to do with that.