PDA

View Full Version : The reason of Manu playing a lot even if he is banged up and shooting horrible

kaji157
02-18-2011, 02:27 AM
FOR THE SEASON Ginobili is the second player (LeBron is N1) with most positive impact in the NBA overall.
He is tied with Pierce but his +/- per min is better, he is league best when the stat goes minute by minute.

http://www.nba.com/statistics/plusminus/plusminus_sort.jsp?pcomb=1&season=22010&split=9&team=

That's the reason why Pop plays him a career high this year, because the team really misses him more than anyone else when he is on court. He is really the only playmaker on the team, and that is reflected on how the team clicks better, even if he balllhogs from time to time.

SA210
02-18-2011, 02:33 AM
Mvp

spursbird
02-18-2011, 02:34 AM
+/- cannot tell the whole story. I remember last season the one had the highest +/- on Spurs team is called Matt Bonner.

kaji157
02-18-2011, 02:40 AM
+/- cannot tell the whole story. I remember last season the one had the highest +/- on Spurs team is called Matt Bonner.

From what ive read on the other thread i don't know if you are an idiot or lacking any hability to think as of now.
Look at the list and show me where booner ranks, teamwise booner may be great, but this list MAKES sense.

That is a very precice statement, that includes players that get heavy minutes.
And bonner is included, not even bonner beats him.
Check the list and tell me if any player surprises you of being there. There are all great players or players that are known to be very effective.

... and bonner of course.

ElNono
02-18-2011, 02:45 AM
I subscribe to the notion that gauging individual player performances with plus/minus is retarded.
I think it's great to compare 5 man unit combos.

ElNono
02-18-2011, 02:48 AM
The Spurs have their best start in franchise history and all of the key guys are healthy.
That's why he plays 'a lot' (relative term, he still plays less that what he normally plays in the playoffs). Why fix what's not broken?

spursbird
02-18-2011, 02:52 AM
From what ive read on the other thread i don't know if you are an idiot or lacking any hability to think as of now.
Look at the list and show me where booner ranks, teamwise booner may be great, but this list MAKES sense.

That is a very precice statement, that includes players that get heavy minutes.
And bonner is included, not even bonner beats him.
Check the list and tell me if any player surprises you of being there. There are all great players or players that are known to be very effective.

... and bonner of course.
Maybe my thought is a little naive, but please don't call me 'idiot'. We're not quarreling, we are just talking, right? If you'd like to quarrel, I have time.
The players on the list IS great, but I just said it didn't tell the WHOLE story. I didn't say Ginobili didn't have a great positive impact on the team. I mean that you couldn't just use +/- to tell if a player is great.

tuncaboylu
02-18-2011, 03:00 AM
I subscribe to the notion that gauging individual player performances with plus/minus is retarded.
I think it's great to compare 5 man unit combos.

I think 5 man unit combos doesn't have the correct idea

It's funny that the Rockets is second in that list with Battier-Scola-Martin-Landry-Kyle Lowry and Indiana is fifth with Dunleavy-Granger-McRoberts-Hibbert-Collison line-up.

ElNono
02-18-2011, 03:07 AM
I think 5 man unit combos doesn't have the correct idea

It's funny that the Rockets is second in that list with Battier-Scola-Martin-Landry-Kyle Lowry and Indiana is fifth with Dunleavy-Granger-McRoberts-Hibbert-Collison line-up.

I can't see the list, but what I mean is not 5 man units across teams, but 5 man units within the same team.

tuncaboylu
02-18-2011, 03:12 AM
I can't see the list, but what I mean is not 5 man units across teams, but 5 man units within the same team.

You can see the list here, it's team based as you wish:

http://www.nba.com/statistics/plusminus/plusminus_sort.jsp?pcomb=5&season=22010&split=9&team=

Slippy
02-19-2011, 02:54 AM
The Spurs have their best start in franchise history and all of the key guys are healthy.That's why he plays 'a lot' (relative term, he still plays less that what he normally plays in the playoffs). Why fix what's not broken?

This. You wouldn't think that was the case every time there's a loss and Manu's shooting is off.

Not sure if plus minus is needed but the same fans whining about Manu's FG precentage, flashy TO's and ill-advised shots lose site of this. He is the team's chief playmaker and team defenses are targeting him foremost. It's been like this all season long. His starting five teammates benifit from his presense alone. TD and Blair are getting shots in their comfort zones. RJ lets fly on open shots and Tony does his thing one on one. You take Manu out of that equation , the burden shifts on everyone else to perform and you make life easier for the opposition.