PDA

View Full Version : When Phoenix loses...

Pandaemonaeon
06-01-2005, 06:46 AM
What changes are they going to make? It's logical that they keep the same team and add a bench, but Joe Johnson is a free agent and it looks like a lot of teams are willing to throw max dollars (or close enough) at him, putting them over the cap and leaving them with the LLE and a draft pick as their only options of improving the team.

Not to mention that they also have other free agents to handle like http://img113.exs.cx/img113/7830/lol1.gif Hunter who's on his way to test the market which is idiotic because he seemed to have found the place where he'll fit in.

http://img280.echo.cx/img280/9500/pandafish2jp.gif

ZStomp
06-01-2005, 07:01 AM
I believe that Joe Johnson is a Restricted Free Agent (not unrestricted) meaning that the Suns can still match any offer that is given to him.

That being said-- teams are sometimes cautious when making an offer to these type of free agents because the money offer is tied up for up to 2 weeks.

Pandaemonaeon
06-01-2005, 09:53 AM
Yes, I know. What I'm saying is, re-signing JJ would put them over the cap and have only the LLE and their draft pick as their only means of improving their depth. There's trades, but I'm not too sure if that's a good move.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-01-2005, 09:55 AM
Alot hinges on the CBA that comes out of the current negotiations. I've heard talk that the salary cap might get bumped up. The Suns wouldn't be able to give Johnson max money, but they could be able to make it worth his while to stay.

kskonn
06-01-2005, 09:58 AM
yea I was wondering that myself. Some one is going to have to go, unless they take less money to stay. With the talen that has accumulated on this team there is no way they can keep all of their stars.

What about Marion, Stoudemire, richardson. Are their contracts coming up soon?

Pandaemonaeon
06-01-2005, 10:10 AM
Richardson and Marion are signed on for a couple more years along with Nash. Add JJ's incoming huge payday and Amare getting the max after next season, then that's a starting five gobbling up a lot of cap space. However, the real concern is this off-season because they really have to beef up that bench and their options are limited.

CosmicCowboy
06-01-2005, 10:16 AM
Suns are actually in pretty good shape for several years. JJ is apparently unrestricted this summer but Sarver has insinuated they have budgeted to resign him. Stoudemire becomes unrestricted in '06 but they have always planned to resign him to a max contract. Jim Jackson is a FA in '06 and because of his age/playoff potential might sign a 1-2 year reasonable contract. Marion has a player option in '08, Q has a player option in '09, and Nash has a team option in '10. Suns can fill some role player slots from the draft and have some reasonable trade bait on the bench that don't really fit their current system (Outlaw, Voskuhl). Suns appear to have a very involved owner that will do whatever it takes to keep his core group together and will attempt to improve it. These guys aren't going away anytime soon.

Jimcs50
06-01-2005, 10:53 AM
They have not lost yet.

Spurs lost 4 straight last year to end their season, the are totally capable of doing it again.

Stop jinxing them!!!

We Spurs fan that were around in 79, know not to think Finals until that 4th game in in the books.

BillsCarnage
06-01-2005, 02:02 PM
The Suns will be over the cap for the next 5 years, but i think Sarver is willing to do that with this group. JJ will likely be resigned and Amare' will get his extention this year. If they wait til next year when he's a FA, they risk losing him even though no one will be able to offer him the max.
Q could be traded if they need to free up salary, but it's unlikely. I'd like to see them get another big man to compete with Hunter and move everyone back to their natural position. Jerome James would fit that bill depending on price. A backup PG that can dish the ball and this team will be primed for a championship run for the next 5+ years.

texbumTHElife
06-01-2005, 02:06 PM
How about what are we going to do. it is looking like unless we can find trade partners for Barry and Nesterovich we cant keep Brown and extend Nazr. I think those are the two areas of focus for us this offseason. If we can make that happen and then get a steal in the draft (Francisco Garcia) than we are in good shape IMO.