PDA

View Full Version : No HOF for Reggie this year

hitmanyr2k
02-18-2011, 12:08 PM
What a bad week for Miller. First Ray Allen breaks his 3 point record and now this.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=mc-millerhalloffame021711

In a stunning result that likely will raise questions about the enshrinement process for the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame, Indiana Pacers star guard Reggie Miller failed to make the list of finalists for the 2011 induction class, sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Miller was considered this year’s most heralded nominee, but apparently did not receive the necessary votes to become a finalist in his first year of eligibility. The list of finalists will be officially announced Friday.

I don't disagree with the decision. I always thought Reggie was borderline at best. He has a few signature playoff moments but they didn't result into anything in the long run. He played no defense, was 6'7 but didn't rebound worth a damn, and wasn't even an average playmaker. He made three All-NBA third teams for his career...that's it. All he really did was shoot the ball. Did he shoot great? Sure, but in the other aspects of the game he was practically a ghost. That's not HOF worthy to me. Certainly not first ballot. He's going to be on the waiting list longer than Dennis Johnson.

lefty
02-18-2011, 12:18 PM
Yeah, Reggie wasnt the most versatile player, but he made the most out of his shooting skills.
Ok, he didnt win a championship, but he didnt play during the watered down NBA either.

The Pacers almost knocked off the Bulls in 98, and the Lakers were easily the best tean in 2000.

IMHO, Reggie deserves the HOF because of his ultra competitiveness and the great performances @ the MSG; that was fucking amazing (lol knicks)

Cry Havoc
02-18-2011, 12:20 PM
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/reggie_miller/index.html

Just went to his page, and got a pop-up saying the site was asking for a username and password. WTF?

Girasuck
02-18-2011, 12:31 PM
If Joe Dumars is in the HOF then it's a damn joke that Reggie Miller doesn't make it in.

JamStone
02-18-2011, 12:51 PM
If Joe Dumars is in the HOF then it's a damn joke that Reggie Miller doesn't make it in.

The two titles and the Finals MVP might be the distinction. He also has his an NBA award named after him. How many players have NBA awards named after them?

I tend to agree with you though. Even as a Piston fan, I didn't think Dumars was a sure HOFer.

Reggie is borderline. He was great at shooting and clutch on the big stage, but he didn't do much else. Being one of the most prolific three point shooters definitely gives him a shot. But does Mark Jackson being third in career assists give him a shot at the HOF too? Especially considering the guys ahead and behind him are Stockton, Kidd, Magic, Oscar, and Isiah? It's an interesting question. I think with the HOF, you have to be unquestionably an all time great and not just great at only one thing OR you have to be a really good to great player who also wins a lot and wins championships. Otherwise, more often than not, you're probably fighting a losing battle to get in.

coyotes_geek
02-18-2011, 12:53 PM

Rings matter.

lefty
02-18-2011, 12:56 PM
Rings matter.
Stockton, Barkley and Mullin don't have rings

Still HOFs

JMarkJohns
02-18-2011, 01:02 PM
If I'm reading correct, it's not even that he isn't getting enshrined first ballot, but that he's not even on the list of finalists for enshrinement. They didn't even deem him worthy enough to get actually voted upon.

That's insane. Miller has two gold medals (1994 and 1996), a Finals appearance and held a pretty prestigious record upon retirement. He deserved to be on the ballot (I can understand not first-ballot enshrinement, though).

coyotes_geek
02-18-2011, 01:07 PM
Stockton, Barkley and Mullin don't have rings

Still HOFs

Stockton, Barkley and Mullin are all better players than Reggie Miller was.

No doubt Reggie had some great moments, but when you look at his credentials he's a very, very borderline HOF candidate.

0 rings
0 MVP's
0 times making 1st or 2nd team all-nba
3 times making 3rd team all-nba
5 all-star appearances

Btw, Chris Mullin isn't in the HOF.

Cry Havoc
02-18-2011, 01:08 PM

No doubt Reggie had some great moments, but when you look at his credentials he's a very, very borderline HOF candidate.

0 rings
0 MVP's
5 all-star appearances

That's kind of shocking to see that one of the 3 best shooters in NBA history was never even a 2nd team All-NBA.

JMarkJohns
02-18-2011, 01:13 PM
That's kind of shocking to see that one of the 3 best shooters in NBA history was never even a 2nd team All-NBA.

His career overlapped with Stockton, Payton and Jordan for much of it, with Kidd and Kobe also factoring in... also the likes of Kevin Johnson, Mark Price and the latter years of Thomas and Magic as well. Doesn't really surprise me.

hater
02-18-2011, 01:14 PM
2 words:

Knick fans

lefty
02-18-2011, 01:14 PM

0 rings
0 MVP's
5 all-star appearances
I agree with you

But at the same time, that's my point

Rings are not a criteria for HOF eligibility

Reggie is not 1st ballot, that's for sure; but he is still a HOFer, just for his great playoff perfomances :hat

JamStone
02-18-2011, 01:24 PM
I agree with you

But at the same time, that's my point

Reggie is not 1st ballot, that's for sure; but he is still a HOFer, just for his great playoff perfomances :hat

Perhaps he was making the distinction between Reggie and Dumars. If they are comparable, then "rings" might be the difference. Even though I don't even think the two are comparable players. Reggie was a much more prolific scorer while Dumars was more noted as a defender. Dumars wasn't even a big time three point shooter during the Bad Boy championships years. He became more of a three point shooter later in his career in the early and mid 90s. Two different players who just happened to play the same position. Not sure why Dumars was brought up in the first place.

coyotes_geek
02-18-2011, 01:26 PM

They certainly factor into the equation. Especially for guys on the fence. That's why Dumars got in easily and Reggie might not.

TBH, I don't think Reggie gets in.

Indazone
02-18-2011, 01:29 PM
He should be in the Hall of Fame just for this. lol

UrtVZftjbhk

lefty
02-18-2011, 01:33 PM
Perhaps he was making the distinction between Reggie and Dumars. If they are comparable, then "rings" might be the difference. Even though I don't even think the two are comparable players. Reggie was a much more prolific scorer while Dumars was more noted as a defender. Dumars wasn't even a big time three point shooter during the Bad Boy championships years. He became more of a three point shooter later in his career in the early and mid 90s. Two different players who just happened to play the same position. Not sure why Dumars was brought up in the first place.

Dumars was such a factor in different areas of the game; he defended Jordan, Magic and Drexler very well; he made some big big shots.

I loved the way he played basketball; his ballhandling skills are some of the best I have ever seen at the SG position
He was also a great passer, and his decision making was great.
He knew when to shoot, and when to pass.

Comparing Joe D and Reggie is like comparing apples and oranges; 2 different types of players who had different roles on their respective teams.

And 2 different personalities.

(I enjoyed watching Reggie barking at the Knicks and scoring 250 pts in 1 minute)

lefty
02-18-2011, 01:34 PM
TBH, I don't think Reggie gets in.
I think he will

Maybe in 30 years

ploto
02-18-2011, 01:47 PM
All depends on who else was eligible this year.

lefty
02-18-2011, 01:56 PM
All depends on who else was eligible this year.
Derrick Rose

rickross
02-18-2011, 02:07 PM
sons da HOF is becomin a joke.

Shoulda jus kept da core superstars in it.

Killakobe81
02-18-2011, 02:15 PM
The two titles and the Finals MVP might be the distinction. He also has his an NBA award named after him. How many players have NBA awards named after them?

I tend to agree with you though. Even as a Piston fan, I didn't think Dumars was a sure HOFer.

Reggie is borderline. He was great at shooting and clutch on the big stage, but he didn't do much else. Being one of the most prolific three point shooters definitely gives him a shot. But does Mark Jackson being third in career assists give him a shot at the HOF too? Especially considering the guys ahead and behind him are Stockton, Kidd, Magic, Oscar, and Isiah? It's an interesting question. I think with the HOF, you have to be unquestionably an all time great and not just great at only one thing OR you have to be a really good to great player who also wins a lot and wins championships. Otherwise, more often than not, you're probably fighting a losing battle to get in.

This. Winning matters in HOF and if you are not winning you need to be special. Reggie was a special shooter and clutch player. I think he gets in eventually but I get why he did not now. Plus his college career was good but in PAC 10 history Ed O'bannon, Sean elliott, Bibby etc. were far more distinguished players ...so his college resume helps llittle, internationally he has a few skins on the wall but nothing overwhelming.