PDA

View Full Version : The Love-Despair Affair in Spurs Nation

Kori Ellis
06-01-2005, 10:06 AM
The Love-Despair Affair in Spurs Nation

By David Leister
SpursZONE.com

The San Antonio Spurs -- you love them one day, you wonder why the next. You are gloating over Brent Barry’s crafty play in the Denver series, then wanting to outright cut him during the Seattle series. Ironically against the Phoenix Suns in this year’s Western Conference Finals, you now are suddenly down on one of the greatest players in NBA history. Though Barry is back in good graces of Spurs Nation, Tim Duncan is not.

Surely the same frustration and angst are suffered by the fans of other professional sports franchises. But in this one team town -- this small market, always flying-under-the-radar cedar and oak haven in the Hill Country of Texas -- missing free throws can warrant a visit to the shrink. If you use the city’s professional basketball team as the benchmark, San Antonio is a town which seems to neither enjoy nor benefit from positive press.

Before Game 4 against Phoenix, there was nationwide acclaim to fame of San Antonio’s sensational new run-&-gun style offense and wet blanket-on-a-fire defense. Tim Duncan was again being called the greatest basketball force on the planet, while Manu Ginobili was being touted as the next superstar. Could Ginobili someday become the first foreign born governor of the State of Texas?

Until Monday evening, the sports world was being reminded that the San Antonio Spurs boast the winningest record in any major professional sport since 1997. What they were not reminded of were the countless hair-pulling, sleep-losing tussles with anxiety the team has endowed upon its fans. It’s not so much love-hate as in a major market city like New York or Los Angeles, rather love-despair.

A couple of late errant passes and clanked free throws collectively tremble a city and cause nightmares of masked athletic guards shooting game icing jumpshots over All World Defender Bruce Bowen. Of up and coming rim rockers, who allegedly have never come across the concept of gritty defense, stuffing the invincible Duncan on a critical dunk in the waning minute of a game.

In San Antonio, the collective mood of a city changes at the drop of a basketball come playoff time. But it’s this very attachment to its team which makes this place special to NBA players.

As Danny Ferry once said when asked about playing in San Antonio versus other NBA cities, "We (the players) know how good we have it here."

And this love-despair affair between fan and franchise will hopefully never die. But during those moments of doubt when the ball simply does not pierce the cotton and that margarita thirst for a river parade is temporarily put on hold, just relax. The love story continues and the chances at glory are many. Just remember that in San Antonio, this love does not come without a price -- your sanity.

Kori Ellis
06-01-2005, 10:06 AM
This is (Grande)David's first submission to us. Let him know if you like it. :)

nkdlunch
06-01-2005, 10:09 AM
:tu

Ishta
06-01-2005, 10:10 AM
I loved this article...Really puts it the way Spurs fans are..We love em and hate em all at the same time...As for me, I always give them love..GO SPURS GO

SWC Bonfire
06-01-2005, 10:12 AM

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-01-2005, 10:12 AM
Great article. It reminds of something Pop said last year about Spurs fans. How the second the Spurs clinch a playoff spot people start making room in their budgets for Finals tickets and when the Spurs lose a playoff game he has to look over his shoulder if he goes outside. But I'd rather have this than apathy.

Manu20
06-01-2005, 10:18 AM
Great Article

MadDog73
06-01-2005, 10:20 AM
Great Job, David. Keep it up!

spurschick
06-01-2005, 10:20 AM
Way to go, David!

travis2
06-01-2005, 10:21 AM

sa_butta
06-01-2005, 10:22 AM
Keep up the good work David

easjer
06-01-2005, 10:24 AM
Great article! Well written and spot on.

boutons
06-01-2005, 10:25 AM
good article. The up/down champ/chump inconsistency is just part of the Spurs team culture. It was there in the 03 Champs, and it's still there now.

MiNuS
06-01-2005, 10:26 AM

just show me the TROPHY!GET IT DONE! NO TEASES!

weebo
06-01-2005, 10:27 AM
The article is right on the money! :spin

ObiwanGinobili
06-01-2005, 10:28 AM

smeagol
06-01-2005, 10:48 AM
Nice!

Jimcs50
06-01-2005, 10:50 AM
It is no Peter Vescey, but it is alright.

:)

Solid D
06-01-2005, 10:55 AM
Good thoughts.

I have a couple of suggestions on details in the article intended to help, not hurt.

You might want to cut, paste in Word and run spell/grammar check.

Bruce Bowen (not Browen)
Free throws collectively tremble a city (suggest: makes a city tremble... or something similar where the usage is more correct).

Thanks for that GrandeDavid.

kskonn
06-01-2005, 10:56 AM
Nice Article, you realy hit it dead on.

Slomo
06-01-2005, 11:28 AM
Enjoyed reading it! :tu

On a side note: I basically listen (sometimes watch) the game, take a shower and go directly to work. Lately I've noticed that when the Spurs lose, a nice cup of coffee appears on my desk by itself and that the office is a lot quieter when I walk in :lol

bigbendbruisebrother
06-01-2005, 11:43 AM
Well written, David!

flacoflee
06-01-2005, 11:52 AM
well done

JUUOT
06-01-2005, 11:53 AM
:lol at slomo.

rwb
06-01-2005, 11:58 AM
Good job, David. I am reminded of the 2003 playoff season when I read an article in the Express News where a fan at the SBC Center was pacing nervously just outside where the game was being played. He told the reporter he was out there because he didn't think his heart could take watching the game once the Spurs started to lose their large lead. I have the same feeling of nervousness. I believe in them, and I know they can do better than they do sometimes. I just can't stand seeing them play less than they're capable of. Drives me nuts. On nights that I'm working when they're playing I can just record the game...if they win, I'll watch. If they don't, I won't. But tonight I'm off and will have to a tranquilizer or something.

Ishta
06-01-2005, 11:59 AM

On a side note: I basically listen (sometimes watch) the game, take a shower and go directly to work. Lately I've noticed that when the Spurs lose, a nice cup of coffee appears on my desk by itself and that the office is a lot quieter when I walk in :lol

:lol People know better than to say anything to me either:lol

easjer
06-01-2005, 12:08 PM

I knew my obsession was out after we lost to the Nuggets. I walked into the staff meeting and the head of the department, the big boss man, ordered everyone to be nice and not needle me because the Spurs lost and the Rockets won. He needed me to be focused.

I was completely puzzled, because I'd exepected we'd lose that game, so I was totally calm. My supervisor has a copy of the schedule hanging in her office, the nationally televised games and important games highlighted so she can tread lightly if they lose.

:lol

wildbill2u
06-01-2005, 12:17 PM
This is (Grande)David's first submission to us. Let him know if you like it. :)

Don't know who he is--or why this piece is worth more than some of the really good posts that (occasionally) are seen here, but he's OK.

No particularly outstanding insights, but a decently written post.

spurster
06-01-2005, 12:18 PM
Free throws collectively tremble a city.
Actually, I like that sentence. It's more poetic than "... make a city tremble".

Ballcox
06-01-2005, 12:19 PM
I enjoyed the article, well thought out concerning the constant back and forth Spurs fans go through depending on whether the team wins or loses. In recent years I've really made an attempt to distance myself a little more from the outcome of games the Spurs play.

It works for a while during the regular season, but towards the end of March my guts start to get all twisted up and it only gets worse once the playoffs begin. I wouldn't trade it for anything though, having that type of emotional investment in a team makes the whole experience more gratifying.

respect the 'fro :fro

50 cent
06-01-2005, 01:00 PM
Oh yes, every single one of us Spurs fans have a certain level of bi-polar disorder in us. Good article David.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-01-2005, 01:19 PM
Nice job, Mr. Big.

slayermin
06-01-2005, 01:35 PM
Actually the only player that I have a love/hate relationship with is Tony Parker. It's tough for me to cope with his maturation process of becoming an allstar point guard. One night he looks like the best point guard in the league and then the next night he is absolutely terrible.

Everyone else on the team, except for maybe Horry, I stand by completely.

Gatita
06-01-2005, 02:10 PM
Don't know who he is--or why this piece is worth more than some of the really good posts that (occasionally) are seen here, but he's OK.

Agree.

Kori Ellis
06-01-2005, 02:56 PM

It's not worth more than anyone's else post.

It was submitted as an article submission. So I posted the article for you to view.

1Parker1
06-01-2005, 02:56 PM
"while Manu Ginobili was being touted as the next superstar. Could Ginobili someday become the first foreign born governor of the State of Texas?"

:lol

tlongII
06-01-2005, 04:41 PM
I think the article will be well received in the local San Antonio market. On a national scale, it would be mediocre at best.

nkdlunch
06-01-2005, 04:54 PM
I think the article will be well received in the local San Antonio market. On a national scale, it would be mediocre at best.

U gotta start somewhere right? right? oh my bad, didn't realize you're a blazer fan :lol

SpursChampsIII
06-01-2005, 04:55 PM
Love-Despair because we care! Ups and downs are part of the emotional roller coaster ride.

NZHayden
06-01-2005, 05:03 PM
awesom, not too long, not boring, just right

CaptainLate
06-01-2005, 05:59 PM
:lol People know better than to say anything to me either:lol

Which is why I don't watch the game unless they win. Saves my heart, soul and what little hair is left. hehehe

CaptainLate
06-01-2005, 06:06 PM
Actually the only player that I have a love/hate relationship with is Tony Parker. It's tough for me to cope with his maturation process of becoming an allstar point guard. One night he looks like the best point guard in the league and then the next night he is absolutely terrible.

Which is why I claim that if they lose the series because TP pulls a collapse like he did last year vs. Lakers (and year before when Speedy Claxton saved the day), or even if TP has more poor playoff performances, look for trade talks to acquire a stud SF.

beirmeistr
06-01-2005, 06:17 PM
I thought it was pretty good. I bet sales of Xanax skyrocket in San Antonio during the playoffs.

JustSpurs
06-01-2005, 07:31 PM
Yes...my friends and I collectivly call them "The Heart Attack Spurs". I know what tension this time of year really feels like. I'm never this tense when my boss calls me in for a meeting.

GrandeDavid
06-01-2005, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the encouragement guys. Now let's get a damn win tonight!