PDA

View Full Version : HoopsHype - Manu Ginobili: “Today I would not like to play for another team”

timaios
02-19-2011, 11:19 PM
http://blogs.hoopshype.com/blogs/sierra/2011/02/19/manu-ginobili-today-i-would-not-like-to-play-for-another-team/

HoopsHype.com NBA Blogs - Jorge Sierra

Manu Ginobili: “Today I would not like to play for another team”

February 19, 2011 @ 10:35 pm by Jorge Sierra

Is this San Antonio’s last real shot at the title?

Manu Ginobili: If you hear the questions we were asked last year, it’s the same thing. They were asking us if it was our last chance, if it wasn’t in us anymore. We won 50 games only then and now that we’re where we are, they are talking about the next one.

For how long do you think the Spurs will be contending?

MG: Who knows. It depends on our health. Right now I can tell you if anything happens to Tim (Duncan), Tony (Parker) or me or any other key player, the chances decrease dramatically. So far we’ve been healthy, but no team wins without health. It’s a matter of waiting. Why do we have to keep guessing?

Now you’re a father. What kind of impact does that make in you as a player?

MG: I think the main thing is after the game. I’m very critical with myself. When I was younger, I would take losses very hard and the wins get me too pumped up. Now on the court it’s the same. I just play. But when it’s over… I may have lost at home against the worst team in the NBA and go back home, see my babies laughing and it’s a whole different perspective. Being on the court, I feel no changes. I still have the same desire. It’s the post-game that changes more than the game itself.

Has your NBA career surpassed the expectations you had for yourself coming in?

MG: It has surpassed all my expectations. Coming into the NBA, I never thought I would play an All-Star Game. While I was playing in Italy, if you told me I was going to be a three-time champion, I would have said you were crazy. No chance.

Did you see yourself as a starter?

MG: I thought I could play well and have success. But a more moderate success. I would never dare to dream I could be a two-time All-Star or something like that. It makes you happy looking back 10 years ago what was going on then.

Are you going to stay in San Antonio once your career is over or are you moving back to Argentina?

MG: I always thought and still believe I will end up living in Argentina. But I don’t know. I have a few years left and I have my kids that are just nine-months old… When the time comes, we’ll sit with my wife and see which way we go.

Can you see yourself working for the Spurs once you’re done playing?

MG: No. Full-time, for sure not. Maybe helping them out as a scout or representative in some manner, something like that. But I don’t see myself doing an 8-to-5 job every day.

And playing for other team?

MG: No. Two years ago, I thought it was possible for me to leave since I was going to be a free agent and had not heard from the team. I was starting to make my mind up that maybe it was time to go somewhere else. Then everything improved. My contract was extended and today I would not like to play for another team.

If there’s no NBA season, would you consider playing in Europe?

MG: It depends. For starters, no. Sure not. If January comes and there’s no agreement and the season is suspended, then I may consider that.

Any preferred destination if that happens?

MG: Italy or Spain probably. But again… Not all players are going to be able to go to Europe. There’s no room for everybody. Second, not many teams are going to sign players knowing they may be gone the following month. And I would not like to do that either. So if I know the season is canceled I would consider it more seriously in January. It’s a matter of waiting. But more than likely I will stay put working out and getting ready.

Is the voice of the international player heard at the Players’ Union?

MG: If it’s not heard, it’s our fault for not being active enough. The problem with international players, sadly, is that we are all from far away and when the season comes to an end, we want to go back to our homes or play with the National Team. We don’t have much time to go to the meetings, take part in it more closely. It’s our fault. If we went to those things, we’ve be heard as much as the others. I’m pretty sure about it because they always insist on having international players becoming more active.

Are you concerned that there’s no replacement for the guys from your generation in Argentina?

MG: I’m not concerned. I know there’s a lack of players, but you also have to think that this generation was extraordinary, very uncommon for our country… We enjoyed it very much, we are still enjoying it and we have to take advantage of it. When we go back to what we were before (probably), well, we don’t have to have a big head like it’s a failure if we don’t make it to the semifinals. You have to keep fighting and do as best as you can.

Do you think they have made a good job at promoting basketball in Argentina given the success you’ve had?

MG: I can’t tell that. Our generation started to make some noise in 2002, then 2004. If the kids started playing then and they were six-year-olds, they’d be too young still so we don’t know if that generation can leave a mark or not.

CubanSucks
02-20-2011, 01:56 AM
just put his jersey in the rafters already tbh

CubanSucks
02-20-2011, 01:57 AM
oh shit, and in the HoF

Hooks
02-20-2011, 02:01 AM
I doubt that he'd play in Europe, I'm pretty darn sure he wants to spend time with his children and wife...

spurs10
02-20-2011, 02:43 AM
Thanks, good read.

cutewizard
02-20-2011, 08:01 AM
Manu rulessssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cutewizard
02-20-2011, 08:02 AM
MANU could be a good representative of NBA South America................

hehe

kuato
02-20-2011, 10:38 AM
I doubt that he'd play in Europe, I'm pretty darn sure he wants to spend time with his children and wife...
In Monte Hermoso ...

dbreiden83080
02-20-2011, 12:03 PM
oh shit, and in the HoF

HOF might be tough for Manu. He has the international play on his side and the rings in the NBA but a lot of great players like Artis Gilmore are still not in the HOF.. And he scored over 20,000 pts and pulled down 10,000 rebounds in the NBA and ABA..

SenorSpur
02-20-2011, 01:10 PM
HOF might be tough for Manu. He has the international play on his side and the rings in the NBA but a lot of great players like Artis Gilmore are still not in the HOF.. And he scored over 20,000 pts and pulled down 10,000 rebounds in the NBA and ABA..

The Artis Gilmore omission from the Basketball HOF is a gross oversight. THere are players without Gilmore's resume that have gotten in. It's a glaring oversight and I hope it will be recitifed.

That situation notwithstanding, Manu Ginobili WILL most certainly get in - for all the reasons you've mentioned. His international resume alone would've garnered him strong consideration. Now with NBA accomplishments (2-time All Star, 6th Man of the Year Award) - especially his championship pedigree (3 times...and hopefully still counting), it's safe to say he's a lock for induction. Certainly if the Spurs win it all this year, it's just further confirms the obvious.

dbreiden83080
02-20-2011, 02:13 PM
The Artis Gilmore omission from the Basketball HOF is a gross oversight. THere are players without Gilmore's resume that have gotten in. It's a glaring oversight and I hope it will be recitifed.

That situation notwithstanding, Manu Ginobili WILL most certainly get in - for all the reasons you've mentioned. His international resume alone would've garnered him strong consideration. Now with NBA accomplishments (2-time All Star, 6th Man of the Year Award) - especially his championship pedigree (3 times...and hopefully still counting), it's safe to say he's a lock for induction. Certainly if the Spurs win it all this year, it's just further confirms the obvious.

I think there is a strong case for both Tony and Manu to be in the HOF. However if i was looking to make a case against them i would say they may fall into that "Good but never great category" with HOF voters. Never dominant players. They have 3 rings however many could argue those came primarily as a result of playing with the great Tim Duncan and all 3 rings came when Duncan was in his prime.. I don't think anyone would put Tony or Manu in the Scottie Pippen relm in terms of side-kicks to a dominant force.. Also neither of them are really stars outside of SA. The media loves to ignore the Spurs and Tony and Manu have had some great seasons the media has largely shrugged their shoulders at.. But if i have a vote they get in.. Just not sure how it will go when their time comes..

SenorSpur
02-20-2011, 02:28 PM
I think there is a strong case for both Tony and Manu to be in the HOF. However if i was looking to make a case against them i would say they may fall into that "Good but never great category" with HOF voters. Never dominant players. They have 3 rings however many could argue those came primarily as a result of playing with the great Tim Duncan and all 3 rings came when Duncan was in his prime.. I don't think anyone would put Tony or Manu in the Scottie Pippen relm in terms of side-kicks to a dominant force.. Also neither of them are really stars outside of SA. The media loves to ignore the Spurs and Tony and Manu have had some great seasons the media has largely shrugged their shoulders at.. But if i have a vote they get in.. Just not sure how it will go when their time comes..

Understand.

In fact, the entire induction process is as much a mystery, as it is convuluted. It sucks that there is no distinction between international, Olympic and professional accomplishments and accolades. There are numerous inductees, whose names are virtually unfamiliar to most NBA fans.

As for the HOF induction process, it does seem to be a very liberal one. Why? Because Ralph Sampson came up on this year's ballot. In fact, he made it to the final round of 12. I loved Sampson, back in his college days and in his first couple of years in the NBA. I regret that his career was cut short by injuries. However, his success was cut short by gross underachievement. In my mind, he's not garnered enouigh siginificant accomplishments to warrant HOF consideration. Sampson has no NCAA championiship; no NBA championship.

The most successful team he was on was the '86 Rockets team that upset the Fakers, then advanced to the NBA Finals versus the Celtic. Sampson was a non-factor in that series as he stood on the perimeter and watched Hakeem Olajuwon, Mitch Wiggins and Lewis Lloyd power the team to the Finals.

If Sampson gets in, Gilmore should be a lock. Ginobili will be a no-brainer. THe jury is still out on Parker.

SA210
02-20-2011, 03:46 PM
Mvp

Budkin
02-20-2011, 03:51 PM
Manu fuckin tres!

pjjrfan
02-20-2011, 03:58 PM

He's the best player to come out of his country with a monster resume, a winner everywhere he went. Plus the HOF is not strictly about the NBA, it's all of basketball, as far as his international play Manu is a lock.

Spurminator
02-20-2011, 06:02 PM
"But tomorrow, who knows?" he continued.

dbreiden83080
02-20-2011, 06:13 PM
He's the best player to come out of his country with a monster resume, a winner everywhere he went. Plus the HOF is not strictly about the NBA, it's all of basketball, as far as his international play Manu is a lock.

And a lot of guys that did things in college and ABA and NBA are not in the HOF

Just saying..

wildbill2u
02-20-2011, 06:25 PM
Manu is one of the Spurs players whose career we will look back on and tell newbies, we were privileged to watch him play. This generation of Spurs plays a team game and without Manu (and Tony) there would be no champitonships during Duncan's career.

ALVAREZ6
02-20-2011, 07:25 PM
Manu is one of the Spurs players whose career we will look back on and tell newbies, we were privileged to watch him play. This generation of Spurs plays a team game and without Manu (and Tony) there would be no champitonships during Duncan's career.

False

dbreiden83080
02-20-2011, 07:37 PM
False

Someone forgot 1999

LoneStarState'sPride
02-20-2011, 08:55 PM
Manu's such a stud. The REAL MVP of this league, idgaf who the voters fellate this year. He will be a HoFer with EASE. Ease, I tell you.

Oh, and his response about how being a father affects the postgame more than the game itself is just money. Solid money.

LoneStarState'sPride
02-20-2011, 09:10 PM

David Robinson and Sean Elliott say hi.