PDA

View Full Version : Lakers starting networks with Time Warner Cable

LkrFan
02-20-2011, 05:28 AM
The Lakers have struck a 20-year deal with Time Warner Cable to broadcast their games on two new regional sports networks, including the nation’s first Spanish-language regional sports network. The new networks are expected to be on all providers (DirecTV, DISH Network, various cable systems, etc.), not just Time Warner Cable.
The deal will take effect in the 2012-13 season and was announced Monday — with the Lakers set to play in Charlotte’s Time Warner Cable Arena, appropriately enough.
“The Buss family is thrilled to join forces with Time Warner Cable in building the TV home for Lakers fans,” Lakers owner Jerry Buss said in a statement. “Time Warner Cable has been producing quality sports programming for over a decade and the Lakers have been producing championship seasons for even longer. I am particularly proud of being part of the first ever Spanish-language RSN in the country. Together I’m confident we will delight our fans.”
The deal promises to be a rich one for the high-profile Lakers, who have had their games on KCAL/9 and Fox Sports West.
“This long-term agreement represents a huge win for all Lakers fans, providing destination channels, more content and more platforms for the Lakers, one of the premier brands in professional sports today,” said Glenn Britt, Time Warner Cable’s Chairman and CEO.
There promises to be greater Lakers coverage with the new networks, which will be available to all providers in existing Lakers country, such as Southern California, Nevada and Hawaii. Besides the games, the networks would have other original Lakers programming.
Time Warner’s announcement promoted the following for Lakers fans:

A single destination where Lakers fans can find all locally-televised home and away games and a variety of new and original Lakers’ content featuring behind-the-scenes, personality and classic programming.
All Lakers games will be produced in high definition, with state-of-the-art technology and high production values in English & Spanish. The Spanish-language channel is a stand alone RSN with its own dedicated production of game telecasts and other unique content tailored to Spanish speaking Lakers fans – not SAP feed.

All games will feature pre- and post-game shows produced separately in both English and Spanish.

A Lakers news and magazine show throughout the season.

Joint community-relations initiatives.

New online and on-demand multi-platform content featuring the Lakers.

LINK (http://lakers.ocregister.com/2011/02/14/lakers-to-start-new-network-with-time-warner-cable/49002/)

Great business move by the Buss family, tbh. Some reports are that Dr. Buss could pocket an additional $150M/year...for 20 years! That means the Lakers will be more than able to continue to afford to put a quality product on the floor for the foreseeable future. FA's will be flocking to SoCal left and right. D12 anyone? :lol

It's good to be a Laker fan. :toast

Venti Quattro
02-20-2011, 05:54 AM
So last week

LkrFan
02-20-2011, 05:56 AM
So last week
My bad - I didn't see it posted.