PDA

View Full Version : How to fix the Dunk Contest

monosylab1k
02-20-2011, 10:14 AM
Now that dunking isn't important, and just inventing the most idiocracy-like scenario which coincidentally has a ball being dunked is what wins, the Dunk Contest is officially retarded.

My solution -

1. one ball, one goal, no teammates tossing you the ball, no props.

2. one chance to make your dunk. Miss and you're fucking out, you don't get 19 goddamn tries to make your stupid dunk.

3. if you're an actual All-Star, and you're going to play in the game, you have to participate. if you can't dunk and/or you're white, then you pick an athletic teammate to represent you.

MmP
02-20-2011, 10:23 AM
put dwight howard in again, that's the solution

i still can't understand why he didn't won in 08 with that sticker, fuck nate robinson

djohn2oo8
02-20-2011, 10:28 AM
put dwight howard in again, that's the solution

i still can't understand why he didn't won in 08 with that sticker, fuck nate robinson

Dwight's dunks consisted mainly of "hey, look how high i can jump, but with no creativity", and that superman dunk was wayyy overhyped, which wasn't even a dunk

Venti Quattro
02-20-2011, 10:29 AM
I think multiple attempts can be permitted, because it would be also shitty if it's one strike and you're out. But it has to be limited because 2 minutes for one attempt is going to fucking suck. What I think is that you get three attempts to make your dunk per round AND you don't repeat your schtick in the same round

Darkwaters
02-20-2011, 10:31 AM
The Blake Griffin car thing was way overhyped too. Not that special.

Bito Corleone
02-20-2011, 10:40 AM
The Blake Griffin car thing was way overhyped too. Not that special.
He should have jumped over the roof instead of the hood and it would have been much better

8FOR!3
02-20-2011, 10:46 AM
The Blake Grififn car dunk wasn't that spectacular, but his other dunks were. JaVale McGee's first two were also impressive.

Hooks
02-20-2011, 11:22 AM
Griffin shouldn't have even made it to the final round, Derozan and McGee should've been in the final.

Darthkiller
02-20-2011, 11:23 AM
get rid of judges.

Venti Quattro
02-20-2011, 11:26 AM
get rid of judges.

great idea, let's leave it to the texters who are obviously better critics of dunks.

Bito Corleone
02-20-2011, 11:39 AM
1. one ball, one goal, no teammates tossing you the ball, no props.

2. one chance to make your dunk. Miss and you're fucking out, you don't get 19 goddamn tries to make your stupid dunk.

3. if you're an actual All-Star, and you're going to play in the game, you have to participate. if you can't dunk and/or you're white, then you pick an athletic teammate to represent you.
Agreed on all points. The misses are getting more and more out of hand each year, and I really don't care about some scrubs that aren't even all-stars. They might as well pull in some AND1 guys - at least they can pull off their own dunks.

Kyle Orton
02-20-2011, 12:38 PM
Multiple attempts should be permitted but judges should also be told to take into consideration how many attempts they needed. It shouldn't be that needing 5 attempts for a dunk is no different than doing it on the first try.

baseline bum
02-20-2011, 12:49 PM
They should go back to the original format when you had 6 or 7 contestants who had 3 attempts total per round, with the two best as their score.

DMC
02-20-2011, 01:26 PM
I like the OP's take on it but I would add the following:

You cannot violate the normal NBA rules while dunking the ball. You cannot pass to yourself, travel, double dribble, all that.

I don't mind if a teammate passes the ball to you on the run, like a fast break.

OR

Just take the game footage from the year, find the best dunks and have judges vote on those. It's not a showcase but the NBA is really moving toward embarrassing itself with this stuff.

No worse than home run derby however.

MannyIsGod
02-20-2011, 01:33 PM
You can't make it better because its all been done. Its just fucking dunking its not this amazingly creative activity. So they bring in props to make it "new" again but its the same shit.

People have been able to jump really high with a basketball for a really long time and its all been done. I didn't bother watching the shit fest from last night because I knew it was going to be replication. Wow a free throw line dunk. Wow a 360. Wow catching a ball off the backboard.

Its just old.

pauls931
02-20-2011, 01:39 PM
Only one thing could have saved the dunk contest. Baron Davis popping the hood while Griffin dunked. Blake clears it, he wins.

Muser
02-20-2011, 01:40 PM
You can't make it better because its all been done. Its just fucking dunking its not this amazingly creative activity. So they bring in props to make it "new" again but its the same shit.

People have been able to jump really high with a basketball for a really long time and its all been done. I didn't bother watching the shit fest from last night because I knew it was going to be replication. Wow a free throw line dunk. Wow a 360. Wow catching a ball off the backboard.

Its just old.

:tu

Dex
02-20-2011, 01:42 PM
I could care less about all the 'showmanship'. I'm there to watch a dunk contest, not a freaking pageant.

African dancers? Moms coming out of the audience? Cars and choirs? Give me a fucking break and quit wasting everybody's time.

Also, Kenny Smith has to be the worst hype man in all of the world. I wanted to knock him upside the head with his damn microphone, and it seemed like some of the other TNT analysts were starting to feel the same.

badfish22
02-20-2011, 01:43 PM
There getting into WWE level out there. Before we know it there will be a story line for every dunk.

SourCandy
02-20-2011, 01:53 PM
Don't like it don't watch. Cry babies

DPG21920
02-20-2011, 01:54 PM
Why do people take it so seriously? You could say the same thing about the real games. Everything has been done, so why watch? It is supposed to be something fun and loose and last night you saw some cool things. It was one of the better contests in a while.

Fpoonsie
02-20-2011, 01:56 PM

Pretty much this. There's only so many dunks players can do w/o risking injuries/careers. You watch And 1 Mix Tapes and other street ball clips and see these ridiculously sick moves, and then expect these million dollar athletes to go out and equally impress you.

It's not gonna happen. There's too much money invested in these guys to risk on some novelty comp.

manufan10
02-20-2011, 02:03 PM
why do people take it so seriously? You could say the same thing about the real games. Everything has been done, so why watch? It is supposed to be something fun and loose and last night you saw some cool things. It was one of the better contests in a while.

+1

Axe Murderer
02-20-2011, 02:17 PM

Its just old.

Yeah pretty much.

I think people just need to accept the fact and not try and bring out a ton of props to overcompensate for the fact that they're just doing the same thing. It's really starting to turn to WWE. I wouldn't be surprised if Stone Cold Steve Austin was lowered from the rafters to toss an alley-oop or if the dunker's have to start dodging steel chairs.

And I also agree with mono. They can't take 19 tries to dunk it, people get bored by then. IMO, I think they should be allowed 1 miss with points being deducted for missing it. For example, maybe the max score they can get is a 45. If they miss it more then once they get 0. Another thing that I think would help is if they went to a practice court backstage to try their dunk so that they aren't rusty when they actually go out there. You could tell some of those dunks hadn't been practiced in awhile and it was just embarrassing to watch, IMHO

Kai
02-20-2011, 02:37 PM
There getting into WWE level out there. Before we know it there will be a story line for every dunk.

Too late. That stupid ass kid with the toy was so lame.

redzero
02-20-2011, 02:40 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Stone Cold Steve Austin was lowered from the rafters to toss an alley-oop or if the dunker's have to start dodging steel chairs.

One would think the WWE would stop lowering people from rafters after what happened in 1999.

DMC
02-20-2011, 03:07 PM
One would think the WWE would stop lowering people from rafters after what happened in 1999.
That actually brought a lot of attention to the WWE.

It's funny that they hit each other with 2x4s and drop each other off the top rope onto tables on the floor and they all get up and leave, but one dude drops on his head and it's over.

frodo
02-20-2011, 06:43 PM
Dwight's dunks consisted mainly of "hey, look how high i can jump, but with no creativity", and that superman dunk was wayyy overhyped, which wasn't even a dunk

nigga just too big to execute any spinnin or other tricks dat attract yo eyebals.