PDA

View Full Version : New Manu Interview from Lanacion.com

ElNono
02-20-2011, 12:45 PM
Original interview in spanish is here (http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1351249-sentirse-parte-de-esto-es-genial)

"Being part of this is great"

Hours away from being part of the NBA's elite game, Ginóbili tells us how he feels: "I still can't believe it"; he says, and he comments that he experiences it as a recognition to his career.

LOS ANGELES.- Six years later Manu Ginóbili returns to the NBA All Star Game. He feels happy and proud to be recognized, but also vindicated, like finally justice is being done with his career in the league. Yesterday, around noon, he walked many times the long corridors of the JW Marriot in downtown Los Angeles, stopped every time to take pictures with the fans (lot of latinos and lot of non-latinos), or to greet his teammates and opponents of tomorrow's game. He arrived at 3:30 AM from Chicago where San Antonio just lost their 10th game of the season and he slept less than five hours, but early in the morning he participated in a NBA Cares event.
Later he sat down with journalists from all over the world that asked him, in spanish and english, how did he feel about being back in NBA's most exclusive group, and how was it possible that San Antonio was having such a successful season. Dressed in blue jeans and a sky bly and white shirt, Manu answered to everybody, in spanish and english, and then he walked through the hotel corridor one more time. That's where we caught up with him.

-Do you feel relieved these days, like it's something you needed in your career and that you deserved for a while now?

A little bit yes, because after good and not so good seasons, after so many silly stuff that was said, it feels real good to be here. I still don't really believe I'm here, this thing of being part of this group of players. It's a pleasure. But it's also true I wouldn't be here if San Antonio wouldn't have the record it has and we would be playing the way we're playing. So it's not just recognizing me, but at the same time recognizing all my teammates and Pop, because without them it would have been impossible.

-Where you surprised to be selected?

I thought it wouldn't happen again. I'm almost 34, it's been six years since the first and only time I've been here, so having this opportunity is great. Being part of this is great. Being recognized by the coaches, by your peers… it's huge. I'm very happy. It's a way to acknowledge everything, our season, my career, it's very special.

-A year or two ago, when you were having those injuries you seemingly couldn't get rid of, were you scared you could never reach this level again?

No, never. To me, my second half of last season was very good, I would even say better than this one. I knew that when I would be healthy and could recapture my confidence and rhythm that the games give you, everything was going to be fine. I was never worried.

-The US basketball analysts say that the big difference for you good season is that you rested over the summer and you didn't go to Turkey. Do you agree?

That's what they say, but I'm not so sure. At this point in the season I feel as tired and banged up as other seasons. It is true that it probably helps us to start the season well. We were all rested, we did a good training camp, and we had a good start. Now, after so many games, it's hard to tell.

-Are you surprised with the 46-10 record?

Yes. Nobody was really expecting that. We knew we would have a better season than the last one, because we needed time for our new teammates to feel more comfortable. We knew we would improve, but not so much to take a six game lead. Nevertheless, the hardest part is still up ahead. Because we don't want to be the best team on the first half of the season. First we want to be the best team on the regular season and afterwards reach our objective, which is to win it all.

-Do you think your role with the Spurs this season is more important than in years past?

In general it's been the same. The only thing that changed is that nowadays I have a more defined role in the last few minutes of games. Before there were games where sometimes we would put the ball in Tony's, sometimes me, sometimes Tim. Now Pop trusts a lot in me to close out games and my teammates accepted that. And that feels good. Sometimes I'm going to score, and sometimes I won't, but I do believe I have that role and I like it.

BEFORE THE STARS, A LOSS

Before the All Star game Ginóbili scored 16 points in 32 minutes, in San Antonio's 109-99 loss against Chicago. Also, Dallas beat Phoenix 112-106 on the road.

"Pop is a lot more flexible now"

LOS ANGELES.- During the press conference Manu answered questions in spanish and english just as comfortably. At some point, a journalist from San Antonio asked him (in english) if he thought Greg Popovich, his coach on the Spurs and tomorrow's game, has changed at all in all these eight years he has known him. "A lot", said Manu, to the surprise of the reporters. "Pop is a lot more flexible now". The reporter couldn't believe it and replied: "Pop being flexible is an oxymoron!". Manu said "Well, imagine how he was in 2002. Now he allows the new kids to make mistakes. My first two seasons with him were tough, very tough".

MmP
02-20-2011, 03:13 PM
"Im almost 34" :( he seems damn fit though and has some years left but hell i remember him being athletic as hell in his sophomore year