PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Dave Duerson

ShoogarBear
02-20-2011, 02:38 PM
Everyone must have already heard about this, but no thread:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/02/19/duerson.death.ap/index.html

JMarkJohns
02-20-2011, 09:06 PM
I remember him late in his career with the Cardinals. Was too young to follow him before that. Loved his heart. Unfortunately, heart + destructive collisions = head trauma, which is sad that he felt his best recourse of escape was suicide.

Nick Manning
02-21-2011, 07:55 PM
The part that makes you cringe the most was him telling his family he wanted his brain preserved so it could be studied for the effects of concussions/trauma while playing. He willingly shot himself in the chest to preserve his brain. That is beyond sad. I hope the family grants his wishes and I hope much is learned from all this. RIP

manufan10
02-21-2011, 08:15 PM
Didn't know of him, but it's sad any time a person feels that taking their own life is a necessity. RIP

ShoogarBear
02-21-2011, 08:49 PM
The part that makes you cringe the most was him telling his family he wanted his brain preserved so it could be studied for the effects of concussions/trauma while playing. He willingly shot himself in the chest to preserve his brain. That is beyond sad. I hope the family grants his wishes and I hope much is learned from all this. RIP

The NFL is the one professional sport that, even if I had the talent, I don't know that I would choose to play. The long-term health risks are very high.

FromWayDowntown
02-21-2011, 09:30 PM
The NFL is the one professional sport that, even if I had the talent, I don't know that I would choose to play. The long-term health risks are very high.

As much as I hate to think about it, there's a part of me that remains fairly surprised that we haven't seen a death on the football field during a game. Given the forces that are brought to bear on even extremely strong human bodies, the fractional difference between spectacular and potentially fatal is remarkably small. As players get bigger and faster and the glorification of big hits remains a part of the way we perceive that league -- no matter the measures taken to reduce big hits -- it seems to be almost inevitable.

And still I watch . . . .

Nick Manning
02-21-2011, 09:36 PM
As much as I hate to think about it, there's a part of me that remains fairly surprised that we haven't seen a death on the football field during a game. Given the forces that are brought to bear on even extremely strong human bodies, the fractional difference between spectacular and potentially fatal is remarkably small. As players get bigger and faster and the glorification of big hits remains a part of the way we perceive that league -- no matter the measures taken to reduce big hits -- it seems to be almost inevitable.

And still I watch . . . .

Agreed, and there WILL be a death on the field at some point in the future. Quite surprised as well that it hasn't happened already (multiple times, tbh).

manufan10
02-21-2011, 10:35 PM
Agreed, and there WILL be a death on the field at some point in the future. Quite surprised as well that it hasn't happened already (multiple times, tbh).

I think it's been pretty close to happening, imo. How many guys have been carted off the field, and we are all thinking the worst, but praying for the best?

Bill_Brasky
03-03-2011, 06:39 PM
I think it's been pretty close to happening, imo. How many guys have been carted off the field, and we are all thinking the worst, but praying for the best?

Ellis Hobbs comes to mind....I watched that hit and immediately knew it was bad, then as they were replaying it I was telling myself "That dude is never gonna walk again...."