PDA

View Full Version : Can't forget boring Spurs at celebration of stars

duncan228
02-20-2011, 03:31 PM
Miller uses the 'boring' angle, but it's actually a pretty nice piece on the Spurs. Great line toward the end:

You see, this was interesting, the sort of stuff never supplied by Duncan, Ginobili or the Spurs. That would be too much flavor for San Antonio, too much color for a team that wears black and white and wins all over.

Can't forget boring Spurs at celebration of stars (http://www.ocregister.com/articles/spurs-289024-lakers-antonio.html)
Jeff Miller
The Orange County Register

LOS ANGELES – They are outnumbered here by Celtics 2 to 1 and there's one fewer of them present than there are members of the Miami Heat, the most important and interesting team in the history of organized sports.

And the San Antonio Spurs don't care anymore about that than most of us care about them. We all know how little that is, right?

But if the Lakers ever figure this out and recapture their focus or mojo or minds or whatever has escaped them, the Spurs probably will be waiting for them deep in the playoffs again, this time fully capable of ending Phil Jackson's career.

So while Carmelo Anthony was nearby talking about himself and LeBron James was nearby talking about Carmelo Anthony and Kobe Bryant was nearby talking about Anthony and James, Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili were just talking.

"You have to be prepared to play every day," one of them said.

"The key was we were ready to go from Game 1," the other explained. "We're healthy. And we're experienced."

Which Spur said what on Friday of All-Star weekend doesn't matter because none of Spurs really say anything anyway. They just win – this season more frequently than any other NBA team, so far by a long shot – and do so in a manner as predictable and enthralling as the Dewey Decimal System.

Now, if you think we're going to write an entire column on the San Antonio Spurs, you're crazier than the route Ron Artest can take when expressing himself.

We'd prefer that you keep reading. Duncan and Ginobili, as good as they are, aren't that good. Nor are they that interesting. Remember, it's the Spurs.

So, don't worry, we'll get to Kevin Love chiding USC and Paul Pierce mocking Lamar Odom's muscles and Dwight Howard calling Shaquille O'Neal prehistoric.

First, though, we'd like to pay homage to the season the Spurs are putting together, emphasizing the very real possibility that they'll be the ones who, in three months, send the Lakers into the offseason and Jackson into happily ever after.

San Antonio currently leads the NBA by five games. This is a ridiculous margin, particularly in a league with some ridiculously good teams.

They lead the Western Conference by six games. They've won 25 of 27 at home – remember that dominance, Lakers fans, when the playoffs start.

The Spurs already have beaten the Lakers at home and on the road, with two more meetings scheduled. They've beaten the Lakers handily and by the tip of a single finger.

They also have some feel-good history working.

"We're the only team among the leaders that's been healthy all season," Coach Gregg Popovich said. "I've been looking over my shoulder lately. Something's gotta happen, you know? This isn't fair. But if you look at the years when we won championships, we were healthy."

And the Spurs have done all this in the shadow of the Heat, the Anthony saga in Denver and the Lakers' recent unrest.

Consider this: San Antonio's star point guard just got divorced from a world famous actress and the entire process began and ended in fewer than three months and with relatively little drama and even less attention.

If this had happened with one of the Lakers, we're thinking four words: "Real Ex-Wives of L.A." The networks would line up and beg for the rights.

Keep reading... (http://www.ocregister.com/articles/spurs-289024-lakers-antonio.html)

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/spurs-289024-lakers-antonio.html

ShoogarBear
02-20-2011, 05:19 PM
Eh, sorry d228. Read like the classic lazy inept Spurs-are-boring article to me.

duncan228
02-20-2011, 06:20 PM
Eh, sorry d228. Read like the classic lazy inept Spurs-are-boring article to me.

:lol It's my local paper, it's Laker hype every morning. The Spurs hate runs deep, if they even bother to mention them at all. I thought Miller was pretty complimentary overall, considering his Laker bias.

SouthTexasRancher
02-20-2011, 08:29 PM
That was a surprisingly good article. Thanks...!

PublicOption
02-20-2011, 08:53 PM
watch for TD to start burning up the league in the last half of the season.

LoneStarState'sPride
02-20-2011, 09:08 PM
I actually liked that article ("Spurs-are-boring" angle notwithstanding).

GOD, I can't stand that label. But that's all it is, at the end of the day.

DMC
02-21-2011, 12:44 AM
Reads like a fat chick saying the HS QB looked at her in the hallway, so that's sorta like acknowledging her existence.

Not calling anyone a fat chick.

fyatuk
02-21-2011, 08:44 AM

I disagree. Unlike cliche "Spurs are boring," this one stuck to how uneventful the team is off the court. Which you have to admit is true. Other than the occassional in-joke from Pop or Tim, etc, that the national media doesn't get, there's not much newsworthy on the Spurs that doesn't involve play on the court.

This article steered well clear of calling the Spurs boring on the court.

ShoogarBear
02-21-2011, 10:54 AM
I disagree. Unlike cliche "Spurs are boring," this one stuck to how uneventful the team is off the court. Which you have to admit is true. Other than the occassional in-joke from Pop or Tim, etc, that the national media doesn't get, there's not much newsworthy on the Spurs that doesn't involve play on the court.

This article steered well clear of calling the Spurs boring on the court.

You think that's a new angle? You think that hasn't been already written about a zillion times about the Spurs for the past 14 years?

It's not a bad article, just a lazy, unimaginative one that could have been written by any generic sportswriter five minutes after rolling out of bed.

Darkwaters
02-21-2011, 10:55 AM
Boring Spurs?

Has he watched a Spurs game lately?

How about a Lakers game?

I'd say the old arguments of who plays boring basketball have flipped.

rjv
02-21-2011, 11:16 AM
Boring Spurs?

Has he watched a Spurs game lately?

How about a Lakers game?

I'd say the old arguments of who plays boring basketball have flipped.

the article was tongue in cheek, actually suggesting that winning is never boring and the crappy tidbits about the so called 'sexier' news is.

miller is a solid writer (and he was great in F/X !)

fyatuk
02-21-2011, 11:58 AM
You think that's a new angle? You think that hasn't been already written about a zillion times about the Spurs for the past 14 years?

Didn't say it was a new take, just not the cliche/classic take.

It's not a bad article, just a lazy, unimaginative one that could have been written by any generic sportswriter five minutes after rolling out of bed.

I thought it did a pretty good job of showing respect to the Spurs, given it's from a Lakerland paper. The writer did a pretty good job of using the insult as a part of giving the Spurs props. "Boring" wasn't really used in a negative way here, which it usually is by far. It certainly isn't the most imaginitive article in the world, but it's far from sticking with the tried and true.

TampaDude
02-21-2011, 12:09 PM
winning is never boring

:toast