PDA

View Full Version : Did Pop play Manu too much tonight?

lefty
02-21-2011, 12:11 AM
Last week, Manu looked a bit tired.

Manu could have use thhis weekend to take a break; I thought he spent too much time on the court

The worst part is that he played with a lot of energy tonight.

I hope I'm wrong

DesignatedT
02-21-2011, 12:20 AM
Playing 12 minutes or playing 20 minutes doesn't really matter when you go through all the preparation, practices and warm ups before the game. If he wasn't going to take the whole weekend off completely then considering how excited he was to be there and since its probably the last time he is going to be there, I thought Pop did him a favor by letting him play a few extra minutes.

If 5 or 6 extra minutes in the all star game prevents or affects his play with our season then it was going to happen anyway and was virtually inevitable.

ElNono
02-21-2011, 12:22 AM
I'm glad Pop played him plenty... probably his last ASG and a good tribute in the twilight of his career...

lefty
02-21-2011, 12:24 AM
What makes you think he won't be an all-star next season?

ElNono
02-21-2011, 12:25 AM
What makes you think he won't be an all-star next season?

Lots of young and talented kids out there... the Spurs really started the season with a bang, but you can't be unrealistic and tell me you expect this every season. I mean, look at the competition out there. Tony not making it is a travesty. I think everything aligned this season for him to make it.

DesignatedT
02-21-2011, 12:27 AM
Also, considering he has only made it twice in his nine year career the odds are against him making it.

lefty
02-21-2011, 12:32 AM
Lots of young and talented kids out there... the Spurs really started the season with a bang, but you can't be unrealistic and tell me you expect this every season. I mean, look at the competition out there. Tony not making it is a travesty. I think everything aligned this season for him to make it.

Kobe is getting old :lol
So there mau be a free spot next season

But seriously the WC is more stacked at the PG postion than it is at the SG

Also, considering he has only made it twice in his nine year career the odds are against him making it.
So he will go the the ASG in 9 years

Case solved.

DMC
02-21-2011, 12:38 AM
It's a show first and foremost. There's nothing riding on the season other than fan interest.

ElNono
02-21-2011, 12:43 AM
Kobe is getting old :lol
So there mau be a free spot next season

Kobe is a fan favorite... Manu won't get voted in by fans... I mean, there's CP3, Westbrook will only get more votes next season... same with DWill if he bolts from Utah... they're voted as guards, not necessarily as PG...

Kori Ellis
02-21-2011, 12:47 AM
Maybe Pop wanted him to try to shoot out of his slump :wakeup

ElNono
02-21-2011, 12:48 AM
Well, that didn't work :lol

TD 21
02-21-2011, 01:08 AM
Playing 12 minutes or playing 20 minutes doesn't really matter when you go through all the preparation, practices and warm ups before the game. If he wasn't going to take the whole weekend off completely then considering how excited he was to be there and since its probably the last time he is going to be there, I thought Pop did him a favor by letting him play a few extra minutes.

If 5 or 6 extra minutes in the all star game prevents or affects his play with our season then it was going to happen anyway and was virtually inevitable.

Exactly.

For Duncan, it's old hat, but for Ginobili, it's still exciting. It's only his second one and he had to wait six years between appearances. Plus, at his age and with a potential lockout looming that could threaten the entirety of next season, this might be his last one. So him playing just under 21 minutes was about rewarding him and letting him bask in the moment.

It's not like this was a physically demanding game. Only that stats obsessed punk Bryant was playing with regular season intensity (in his annual pathetic pursuit of the MVP), everyone else was doing little more than going through the motions. So whether he played 15 minutes or 20 isn't going to make much of a difference.

Spurs fans are bordering on obsessed with Ginobili's minutes. You think Lakers fans are worrying about whether Bryant played too many minutes? And he played nine more than Ginobili and has a lot more wear and tear to begin with. Ginobili needs to be handled with care and he is, but he isn't made of glass. If he averages over 30 mpg, he's not going to die or explode. Relax.

Budkin
02-21-2011, 01:13 AM
Well, that didn't work :lol

At least his defense and passing looked good.

Cane
02-21-2011, 01:25 AM
D-Wade played about 30 seconds less than Manu Ginobili and got injured; a sprained ankle IIRC. :wow

Everyone should've expected Manu to log a decent amount of minutes since the ASG means more to him than most of his peers. However every night the Spurs leave healthy is a good night and imo thats been the biggest reason for their success this season.

But no I don't think Pop played Manu too much tonight. Half of his shot attempts were just long range jumpers, some even wide open FWIW.

spurs10
02-21-2011, 01:38 AM
Did Wade really sprain his ankle? He can thank his teammate for trying to get the east all pumped up. Looked to me like most people were trying to get themselves out of harm's way. Manu brought all his family there and probably had a blast. I'm sure he was extra cautious.

Kori Ellis
02-21-2011, 01:39 AM
Did Wade really sprain his ankle? He can thank his teammate for trying to get the east all pumped up. Looked to me like most people were trying to get themselves out of harm's way. Manu brought all his family there and probably had a blast. I'm sure he was extra cautious.

Wade stepped on DWill's foot I believe to sprain his ankle.

Bito Corleone
02-21-2011, 01:41 AM
It was only his 2nd all-star appearance...Pop wanted to let him get out there and enjoy it.

spurs10
02-21-2011, 01:48 AM
Wade stepped on DWill's foot I believe to sprain his ankle.
Wow!:wow That is not a good way to catch the Celtics...

howbouthemspurs
02-21-2011, 02:06 AM
I dont think he played him enough at all! Should have ran some plays for him

fantasyfootball
02-21-2011, 02:23 AM
Tony not making it is a travesty.

Deron, CP, and Russell Westbrook all deserved spots over Tony. Wasn't a "travesty".

-----------

D-Wade is a china doll's china doll. That guy goes down more than Vince Carter. Between him and Vince I don't know who is more of a china doll.

I think VC is just a drama queen. I think D-Wade has no tolerance for pain whatsoever and is a drama queen on top.

spurs10
02-21-2011, 02:43 AM
Deron, CP, and Russell Westbrook all deserved spots over Tony. Wasn't a "travesty".

-----------

D-Wade is a china doll's china doll. That guy goes down more than Vince Carter. Between him and Vince I don't know who is more of a china doll.

I think VC is just a drama queen. I think D-Wade has no tolerance for pain whatsoever and is a drama queen on top.
All those guys could learn a lot from Tony . His resume speaks for itself. Tim sure doesn't seem to share your opinion. Tony is leading the #1 team in the NBA right now, for a very good reason. He has a lot to do with that.:flag:

ElNono
02-21-2011, 02:58 AM
Deron, CP, and Russell Westbrook all deserved spots over Tony. Wasn't a "travesty"

I dunno about Westbrook. He's very flashy and athletic, but Tony is the better player right now IMO.

itzsoweezee
02-21-2011, 03:19 AM
I dunno about Westbrook. He's very flashy and athletic, but Tony is the better player right now IMO.

yup

igruex
02-21-2011, 06:40 AM
Maybe Pop wanted him to try to shoot out of his slump :wakeup

Pop's been trying to boost his confidence for a while now... Playing that much was great for Manu.

TMTTRIO
02-21-2011, 07:03 AM
Let Manu enjoy it. It'll be his only All Star that he makes other than the one in 05. Tim has made it every year and is a vet at it and Tony has been a 3 time All Star and will have plenty more chances to be one.

smrattler
02-21-2011, 12:29 PM
He sure didn't play Duncan too much.

rascal
02-21-2011, 04:32 PM

Exactly. Manu hasn't been there in a few years and it could be his last so Pop gave him minutes.

Brazil
02-21-2011, 04:38 PM

no doubt about Deron and CP but IMO TP is still a better player than Russell